ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Listening Session For All(Markdeez Certify It)

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

TheBluest
Banned User
And1: 8
Location: Lottery Bound...Banned From UK 2-11-09 @ 12:30 am by Martin LOL!

OT: Listening Session For All(Markdeez Certify It) 

Post#1 » by TheBluest » Wed Sep 2, 2009 6:43 am

I made this thread to get Markdeez opinion on this small listening Ramon Session of a project my cousins made about 4yrs ago. It reflects their style a little they have made improvements in their presentation. I'll try and get my hands on some their current work. I had what was more like a 10 song demo press up. I thought the project overall was pretty bad(lyrically and poor production quality) but they do have a little talent to work with. Lyrically I think I'm better then a couple of them without trying. My cousin Chauncey who is the beat maker is probably the most talented of them all. Although as the low budget SP mixer wannabe he is.... he does tons of sampling. I think of the 4 songs I uploaded to a stream I'm sure at least 2 of them are a sampling from some track I just can't figure out where. The girl from their crew is a beast Frankie Gora, not sure if she still Bosses up with them anymore. Anyway I could barely find 4 songs out of the 10 track project they did but these were the best IMO. Markdeez or anyone else for the matter let me know what you think and I'll pass the word on to them and let them know where they need to improve. Like I said I counseled them plenty on their work..... like the over excessive use of the N word and the basic loop beats..... To get this out of the way they are doing plenty of fronting because I know them they aren't like this although they are roguish....lol.

Listen to this on audio/system that beats trust me and get past the first 30sec of their tracks......

Deadly Alliance 1......(Get Past the 1min and they represent kinda....This track beats)
Deadly Alliance 2......(Probably the best track... I think the 2 spitter is a girl although the lyrics from the 2 would mean Gus Johnson would have to have a sit down talk with her....lol 2nd and 3rd spitter went in)
Deadly Alliance 3......(I feel like smakin my cous on the end of this track.... funny thing is he's the most passionate of them all.... 2 spitter went in once again....This track beats)
Deadly Alliance 4......(I ride to this when I want to clear out sometimes and no I don't blaze up but this track simply does it although the loop is extremely long and repetitive...the 2 spitter I believe is a girl)

http://www.imeem.com/dialogs/standaloneplaylist/?p=JgULicg2
Duhon2Lee42
Banned User
And1: 0

Re: OT: Listening Session For All(Markdeez Certify It) 

Post#2 » by Duhon2Lee42 » Wed Sep 2, 2009 6:53 am

Gonna listen but why you mention Sessions? Lol.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,504

Post#3 » by j4remi » Wed Sep 2, 2009 12:08 pm

I can't help you much at work unless I can get it on my ipod, but after work, I'll give it a listen.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
TheBluest
Banned User

Post#4 » by TheBluest » Wed Sep 2, 2009 1:25 pm

j4remi wrote:I can't help you much at work unless I can get it on my ipod, but after work, I'll give it a listen.

Is imeem blocked where you work at?
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,504

Post#5 » by j4remi » Wed Sep 2, 2009 3:14 pm

TheBluest wrote:
j4remi wrote:I can't help you much at work unless I can get it on my ipod, but after work, I'll give it a listen.

Is imeem blocked where you work at?

Nah, I just can't listen to it in depth while I work until my lunch break, when I bump my i-pod while I walk to food spots...I could judge the beats though.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
StutterStep
RealGM
And1: 58

Post#6 » by StutterStep » Wed Sep 2, 2009 4:30 pm

I gave it a listen and I think it's all over the place yet goes nowhere.

The sound -- I love it -- something about it makes me picture a chill out day (or mood) and just chillin' with all the effects -- assistance, ass, and assets. :D

The content -- it's already been done -- like a mish mash of Mobb Deep, The Youngsters, BTH, etc...two of the MC's -- chick and dude (I think "dizzy") can flow and construct a rhyme but collectively they're not saying anything. On your end, you can help them by advising them to get some real life experience and not just live the things that happen to them. Like Flav said, read a book or something... travel, etc...

They need to construct songs and make the lyrics pertinent and a bit more complex because their flow and beats are original enough to get a nice indie following.
TheBluest
Banned User

Post#7 » by TheBluest » Wed Sep 2, 2009 4:48 pm

StutterStep wrote:I gave it a listen and I think it's all over the place yet goes nowhere.

The sound -- I love it -- something about it makes me picture a chill out day (or mood) and just chillin' with all the effects -- assistance, ass, and assets. :D

The content -- it's already been done -- like a mish mash of Mobb Deep, The Youngsters, BTH, etc...two of the MC's -- chick and dude (I think "dizzy") can flow and construct a rhyme but collectively they're not saying anything. On your end, you can help them by advising them to get some real life experience and not just live the things that happen to them. Like Flav said, read a book or something... travel, etc...

They need to construct songs and make the lyrics pertinent and a bit more complex because their flow and beats are original enough to get a nice indie following.

Thanks for the constructive Stutter.....pretty much echoing a lot of I said. Waiting to hear from Deez, Remi, and Duhon...heck I wouldn't mind hearing from TKF. Like I said they are trying to hustle with the biz to make it. They have done recordings in Whoopie Goldberg's house. Apparently a relative of hers is involved in the biz and they hooked up I think in Arizona during some expo/show. I'll get back with them in time to figure out who the girl is for sure and see where their official group stands. Whoever she is I feel she's nasty honestly. I think they're in Hollywood now but literally living wherever they lay their hat. I told my cousin Thomas who closes out a lot the songs and was given tons of airtime on this specific project to cut the crap out and focus on lyrics, not what happened last week in the club, not what happened on the block before you hopped in the booth, not what happened when you rolled deep to Popeyes for a 2pc, not what happened when you were in Wal-Mart trying to plug your CD to the radio station posted up in the lot.
StutterStep
RealGM

Post#8 » by StutterStep » Wed Sep 2, 2009 4:52 pm

You're welcome -- yeah, stay on them because it takes dedication, and not whatever is on your mind at the time, which is why so many records nowadays are abysmal...they don't let the ideas incubate then write them out.

Edit: I couldn't tell if it was 2 or 3 dudes with the girl. The dude that stood out is the one that comes into the first track at the 2+ minute mark talking about "purple juice...boulder/mulder" etc... Also, another time, the dude on track 4 not the one who opens the track but the second dude.
TheBluest
Banned User

Post#9 » by TheBluest » Wed Sep 2, 2009 5:35 pm

StutterStep wrote:You're welcome -- yeah, stay on them because it takes dedication, and not whatever is on your mind at the time, which is why so many records nowadays are abysmal...they don't let the ideas incubate then write them out.

Edit: I couldn't tell if it was 2 or 3 dudes with the girl. The dude that stood out is the one that comes into the first track at the 2+ minute mark talking about "purple juice...boulder/mulder" etc... Also, another time, the dude on track 4 not the one who opens the track but the second dude.

I think that's Terrell you're referring to yeah he gets it in when he can. There were two on track 4 the third emcee haven't verified if it's a dude I think it's a girl..."I push more weight than Hercules, you Niccas ain't hurtin me so you better get 50ft" "Before the beef gets ignited, I'll snatch you ish like a Pirate" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Could you detect any sampling from those tracks? I want to know if they are original.
MrWet
Junior

Post#10 » by MrWet » Wed Sep 2, 2009 5:41 pm

Listened to the Demo on my computer system:

Speakers - Behringer Truth B2031P
Subwoofer - SVS PB12 Plus
M-audio Audiophile sound card
Samson 400 x 2 power amplifier

Findings:

1. Music - Empty sounding. Needs more animated and engaging vocals to carry the simplistic nature of the music. Lyrics can carry simplistic music production but the artist needs to be able to do that and well!

2. Lyrics and Presentation:

As far as presentation goes, the artist sounded like they were reading their lyrics. At no point did I feel like they were feeling what they were saying. My findings are validated by your (Bluest) admission the rappers are not talking about what is in their hearts and does not reflect who they really are. As you probably have told them already, they will have a better overall product if they rap what they feel and about who they are. Once they do that, the lyrics will come to life!! They will have more to draw upon.

I'm sure you suggested they adopt the mindset of making where they are from and who they are into what's HOT! Make the world come to them! Inform them to not to sweat BET and MTV just yet. Establish what they have to offer first (see Fugees for reference) and then listen to serious offers from possible cooperate investors that are willing to negotiate fairly on how they are to be marketed. They will be more proud of the finished product and will have a wider window for creativity. In addition, they will then present themselves more effectively and honestly.

If not and they want to drive in the fast lane, inform them they need to study the commercial blueprint a little harder because right now they are not doing a good job of imitating in regards to presentation.

In regards to lyrics, I recognize this is preproduction. I think they are lyrical and have talent. However, I could not consider myself a fan of the product at this time. Actually, I don't think they recognize just how much talent they have and how wide open the creative window for them is. They also sound like they're in their teens. Is this the case? Regardless of the age, they could use co-writers to help bring them along.

Now before everyone falls out of their seats, they should know even Biggie had co-writers. I say this because everyone is not ready to write a hook. Everyone does not understand commercial music song writing and musical application. The proof provided is Biggie's early demos, Slim's early demo's etc.. They didn't come in the game knowing how to write on the level that we've come to love them at. They had talent no doubt but lyrical talent doesn't mean you understand songwriting at all.

Good Luck bringing them along Bluest. I think they do have talent but they sound like they aren't quite sure how they wanna put it down yet.

I would like to hear more from them if possible.
Hey Mr. Wet is on Twitter now!!! Ummmm So?!?!

http://twitter.com/MistaWet
Duhon2Lee42
Banned User

Post#11 » by Duhon2Lee42 » Wed Sep 2, 2009 7:24 pm

I'm only up to the 3rd song so I'll give my full review of it after I hear each of the songs a few times. I'm about to leave now, so I'll get back to you later, Bluest.

Edit: I love the 2nd song though. That's a song I can put in my ipod.
TheBluest
Banned User

Post#12 » by TheBluest » Wed Sep 2, 2009 8:55 pm

Mr. Wet I think you gave a fair breakdown as I stated they made this about 4-5yrs ago...I believe they were about 18-22 yrs of age in range. So right now I they have to be about 22-27. I'd like to think they've improved maybe not, therefore I need to get my hands on their current work.

Duhon2Lee it appears you and Stutter are catching a similar vibe in lyrical talent.
MrWet
Junior

Post#13 » by MrWet » Wed Sep 2, 2009 9:25 pm

TheBluest wrote:Mr. Wet I think you gave a fair breakdown as I stated they made this about 4-5yrs ago...I believe they were about 18-22 yrs of age in range. So right now I they have to be about 22-27. I'd like to think they've improved maybe not, therefore I need to get my hands on their current work.

Duhon2Lee it appears you and Stutter are catching a similar vibe in lyrical talent.

27-ish is a great age. They probably have gained some real perspective. I would be interested in hearing how they sound now. That is, if they are still grindin.

markdeez33
RealGM
And1: 2,192

Post#14 » by markdeez33 » Wed Sep 2, 2009 11:07 pm

Bluest, I'm trying to get imeem to work now and until I do

peep this

www.myspace.com/markdeez - New song off What Lies Within, "Realm of Danger" (Produced by Domingo) (Scratches by Dr. iLL) (Featuring Ras Kass, 93 P, and Phathom)
TheBluest
Banned User

Post#15 » by TheBluest » Wed Sep 2, 2009 11:08 pm

MrWet wrote:
TheBluest wrote:Mr. Wet I think you gave a fair breakdown as I stated they made this about 4-5yrs ago...I believe they were about 18-22 yrs of age in range. So right now I they have to be about 22-27. I'd like to think they've improved maybe not, therefore I need to get my hands on their current work.

27-ish is a great age. They probably have gained some real perspective. I would be interested in hearing how they sound now. That is, if they are still grindin.

They are. Does anybody else have people in the game. I'm not trying to put them on to be honest. I would rather them be doing something else in such a watered down industry but if they ever wonder what I think about their work on their craft I come real. I won't sugarcoat just because they're fam.

This is kind of funny because I should have known this but I found out how to convert a large media file or one that's in a different format to MP3 in iTunes. LOL I felt like a dork not knowing until yesterday. Well I kinda of knew but didn't understand if the tracks were in correct format once done. I was trying to drag and drop them in a playlist but got rejected. All I had to do was go to my iTunes folder and snatch em......shaking my head.
markdeez33
RealGM

Post#16 » by markdeez33 » Wed Sep 2, 2009 11:37 pm

Alright Bluest here's what I think:

Track One: This is definitely reminiscent of the Southern/Crunk/Bounce tracks I'm so used to down here. But once again, its very generic. This is the kind of music I hear from so many different artists, but they show more energy on this track than they have on any of the other tracks that I've reviewed.

Track Two: This is the first track I listened to, the beat is pretty smooth, it sounds like something I would rock to, a definite laid back banger, something you can smoke out to. It definitely has that midwest flavor to it. I thought the lyrics were pretty decent, its exactly what I expected for a song of this nature. On the 1st verse, the dude has a pretty good voice, but his presence isn't really felt. He sounds confident, but he needs to bring more energy to the track, if you sound like you're asleep, then your listener will follow suit. I think they need to work on grasping the attention of the listener and not letting go. The sound is VERY similar to a friend of mine whom I used to record with named Konflict, who had some of the dopest flows I ever heard, but his voice was very monotone. I guess its that style that provokes it, but I think if they bring more energy they could definitely make some noise. I didn't get past the first verse, damn internet connection SUCKS where I am.

Track Three: The first verse the quality sounds weird, like he recorded it on a computer microphone. Once again, no energy. The 1st dude sounded like he was asleep, the 2nd person had a little more energy but not as much mic presence. The beat is quite average, actually, though it steps it up in the 2nd verse. It just sounds to me like they were somewhere recording trying to be "quiet", like they were at a home studio and everybody was asleep and they weren't trying to disturb the other residents of the house or something, tell them to get HYPE, bring the energy. The flows and delivery are on point, but the lyrics could be better. Also who is the young dude? He sounds like he could be about 14 years old LOL, but once again, rap artists are like wine - they get better with age, tell them to keep working hard.

Track Four: The piano sounds pretty nice on here, but once again, the track sounds pretty generic. The quality sounds pretty weird, tell them to bring the energy and quit being so damn quiet, LOL. Thats really my biggest problem with the tracks, is that there isn't enough energy. The beat is quite a nice hybrid of R&B and midwest style of rap. I think the lyrics could've been a lot better on this track, its super long, and it doesn't hold the attention of the listener for 6 minutes.

Overall: I think as a group they have good chemistry, but once again, NO ENERGY. Tell them to step it up. In this business, you have to rap with that FIRE, that FUEL, that PASSION. Otherwise, you'll just go unnoticed like so many of us do. If they want to be great and respected artists, they have to find their "niche" in the game so to speak. It sounds like they should stick to the Midwest Underground style of music. I'm not sure exactly where they're from, but thats the style of music that they remind me of. If they step up their energy, if they step up their lyrical content, and if they step up their recording quality, I don't see why they couldn't find their way in the door of the game.

I would like to see them diversify a little bit and use energy. When you make the southern style of music, you MUST have energy. This style is like a hybrid of Midwest/South music, but they need more energy and more concepts. It seems like they speak on the same subjects on different songs, tell them don't be afraid to say whatever they want. Thats what make GREAT artists - GREAT - freedom of speech.
StutterStep
RealGM

Post#17 » by StutterStep » Thu Sep 3, 2009 1:07 am

^Markdeez, What's up, no word on my review of your joints?
MrWet
Junior

Post#18 » by MrWet » Thu Sep 3, 2009 1:16 am

As my grand pops used to say "With each passing day, we grow less ignorant". Congrats on your findings. Oh and for the record, I didn't know you could do that either..lol!!

TheBluest wrote:
MrWet wrote:

They are. Does anybody else have people in the game. I'm not trying to put them on to be honest. I would rather them be doing something else in such a watered down industry but if they ever wonder what I think about their work on their craft I come real. I won't sugarcoat just because they're fam.

This is kind of funny because I should have known this but I found out how to convert a large media file or one that's in a different format to MP3 in iTunes. LOL I felt like a dork not knowing until yesterday. Well I kinda of knew but didn't understand if the tracks were in correct format once done. I was trying to drag and drop them in a playlist but got rejected. All I had to do was go to my iTunes folder and snatch em......shaking my head.

markdeez33
RealGM

Post#19 » by markdeez33 » Thu Sep 3, 2009 1:33 am

StutterStep wrote:^Markdeez, What's up, no word on my review of your joints?

Yeah man I saw it, I thought it was a very fair and accurate review of my joints, I was very happy with it
StutterStep
RealGM

Post#20 » by StutterStep » Thu Sep 3, 2009 1:36 am

^Cool.

Return to New York Knicks