ImageImageImageImage

2023-2024 Regular Season Game 73: Los Angeles Clippers (45-27) at Orlando Magic (42-30) - 7pm

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,192

Re: 2023-2024 Regular Season Game 73: Los Angeles Clippers (45-27) at Orlando Magic (42-30) - 7pm 

Post#701 » by Optimus_Steel » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:03 am

Knightro wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:Yeah Magic need to hit shots.

They probably also need to learn how to move the ball and not let the same 2 players turn the ball over 3-4 possessions in a row because they lack guards that can get the ball to them. Predictable as ****.

I mean aren't you answering your own outrage?

The Magic don't have a guard who can get the ball to the forwards or the shooters, so there's a natural default to just letting the forwards play isolation.

It's a lot more of a personnel issue than a coaching issue.

What is Mosley going to do exactly? Ingles got extended minutes tonight because he can actually make some passes and everyone screamed from the rooftops that HE was playing too much.

Well said.
aka: prorl
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,034

Re: 2023-2024 Regular Season Game 73: Los Angeles Clippers (45-27) at Orlando Magic (42-30) - 7pm 

Post#702 » by MagicMatic » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:08 am

SOUL wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:Why would I call you a bitch?

Dunno, I just like to debate. Indulge me. :lol:

But seriously, Franz cannot be 7/45 for the month. It just can't happen.

Our versatility in three point shooting options is a huge issue for playcalling. If Ingles, Harris and Houstan can only shoot one particular way, we're absolutely cooked.

Suggs is the only one who can do interesting things with creating space to shoot threes and he doesn't do it enough.

Franz has been cold. His shooting dropped off a cliff. The tandem of Paolo/Franz only works without a point guard if Franz is hitting shots for lack of ball movement otherwise.

Basically everything that I was pissed off about this offseason is rearing its ugly head as we close out the season/post season. I was afraid of these young guys getting into bad habits because they were forced to do **** they really shouldn’t have to do.

I’m critical of Mosely for the offense, and allowing Paolo to just run everything, but I also understand there aren’t other options in these certain situations. It becomes too predictable and unreliable.

It isn’t about shooting as much as it’s about moving the ball. Yeah, you gotta be able to shoot to create opportunities. Paolo isn’t there yet to run every single play going downhill. That shouldn’t be what the offense devolves into when Mosely isn’t drawing things up.
byeganyo
Junior
And1: 115

Post#703 » by byeganyo » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:11 am

Knightro wrote:

They probably also need to learn how to move the ball and not let the same 2 players turn the ball over 3-4 possessions in a row because they lack guards that can get the ball to them. Predictable as ****.

The Magic don't have a guard who can get the ball to the forwards or the shooters, so there's a natural default to just letting the forwards play isolation.

What is Mosley going to do exactly? Ingles got extended minutes tonight because he can actually make some passes and everyone screamed from the rooftops that HE was playing too much.

Im OK with Joe playing as much as he can!:D You have to trade a bit of defense for offense.
Using the most simple stat - we were +6 in those 19 minutes he played today. He had positive +/- against GSW and Kings too.
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#704 » by MagicMatic » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:12 am

Knightro wrote:

Yes and no.

I agree it’s a personnel issue. That doesn’t mean you can’t move the basketball and get better looks. That’s the problem I have with the last few possessions of this game and last game to an extent. There aren’t set plays they are going to. It’s just “figure it out Paolo” yknow?
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,686

Post#705 » by SOUL » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:13 am

MagicMatic wrote:It isn’t about shooting as much as it’s about moving the ball. Yeah, you gotta be able to shoot to create opportunities. Paolo isn’t there yet to run every single play going downhill. That shouldn’t be what the offense devolves into when Mosely isn’t drawing things up.

When it's a straight up terrible Paolo iso.... I agree.

But on the Harden turnover, he got a nice switch and had downhill speed with an easy kickout for a corner three to Franz. Franz hits it, that's a 4 point game and wide open shot created by a mismatch.

Instead, Paolo had it swiped because he moved the ball from his left to right hand to presumably get the pass off from his strong hand and Harden swiped at it.

Just small things like that can turn a potentially great possession into a bad one.

The other one was just a terrible pass that Paolo went nowhere with, and more of what you are explaining.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,795

Post#706 » by thelead » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:14 am

Knightro wrote:
thelead wrote:
Knightro wrote:
Meh.

The only really bad FT shooters are Paolo and Carter. Most of the rotation players are well over 75%.

cool. so we have no issues shooting 3's or FT's. Are we watching the same games?

I just think there's a natural inclination from most people - yourself included, myself included at times - when something doesn't go well that there HAS to be an explanation and somebody HAS to be held accountable.

The Magic don't shoot well, so they MUST have a bad shooting coach who isn't teaching these guys how to shoot properly!

Or maybe they just didn't build a very good roster from a shot creation and shooting perspective? Combine that with one guy in particular having a severe backslide significantly from the 3PT line.

It's not always as sinister as some of y'all seem to want it to be.

Ultimately, it's on Weltman. We all know this. Whether the players can't learn how to shoot, can't handle the pressure, or shooting coach sucks (I didn't say that he does cause I'm honestly curious about how well regarded he is), it's on Weltman. I'm just frustrated as all hell that this FO is so damn conservative. The only thing that makes sense to me is that Weltman is trying to recreate the ~2018 Toronto Raptors and waiting to pounce on a future HoF like Kawhi to add to the mix. A Paolo for a disgruntled Luka type of trade... I hope to God that's not what he is banking on. I'll be beside myself if we don't make a splash this summer.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,151

Post#707 » by Def Swami » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:16 am

Think it's interesting that Mose has decided to not finish games with Wendell Carter the last 2 games.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,604

Post#708 » by BadMofoPimp » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:19 am

Knightro wrote:
ORLMagicGirl15 wrote:Man, I can't wait until the off season when our front office is forced to do something.

I wouldn’t hold your breath on this.

I could see Weltman running it back with mostly the same roster in the name of continuity and citing their overachieving record as justification.

Especially, if the long term goal is retaining Suggs, Franz and Paolo. That will restrict cap space.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,388

Post#709 » by PrimeThyme » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:20 am

I'm as tough on Weltman as anyone, but if Franz is shooting anywhere near his career percentage this year, our offense and roster construction look light years different in my opinion.

Suggs and Banchero made their 3-point shooting leap. Franz made an impossibly difficult-to-anticipate nosedive.
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#710 » by MagicMatic » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:21 am

SOUL wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:It isn’t about shooting as much as it’s about moving the ball. Yeah, you gotta be able to shoot to create opportunities. Paolo isn’t there yet to run every single play going downhill. That shouldn’t be what the offense devolves into when Mosely isn’t drawing things up.

When it's a straight up terrible Paolo iso.... I agree.

But on the Harden turnover, he got a nice switch and had downhill speed with an easy kickout for a corner three to Franz. Franz hits it, that's a 4 point game and wide open shot created by a mismatch.

Instead, Paolo had it swiped because he moved the ball from his left to right hand to presumably get the pass off from his strong hand and Harden swiped at it.

Just small things like that can turn a potentially great possession into a bad one.

The other one was just a terrible pass that Paolo went nowhere with, and more of what you are explaining.

Yeah it’s those few plays a little too often throughout the game and when he looks around and does a WCJ impression taking a bad transition 3 at the top of the shot clock instead of getting a better shot. Don’t love it.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,795

Post#711 » by thelead » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:23 am

Franz Wagner has a true shooting percentage of 52.4 in his last 10 games
Wendell Carter Jr. has a true shooting percentage of 50.8 in his last 10 games

My God...
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,037

Post#712 » by KillMonger » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:23 am

basketballRob wrote:Caleb could grow into a Grayson Allen type player.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app

sure....maybe a stand still shooting version of Grayson
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,387

Post#713 » by Knightro » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:26 am

MagicMatic wrote:Yes and no.

I agree it’s a personnel issue. That doesn’t mean you can’t move the basketball and get better looks. That’s the problem I have with the last few possessions of this game and last game to an extent. There aren’t set plays they are going to. It’s just “figure it out Paolo” yknow?

Like we can debate the merits of all this iso ball, but the Magic specifically hunted the Paolo/Harden matchup late in the game by running multiple screen actions to force Clipper switches.

Paolo got the exact defensive look that he and the team wanted and he just got stripped on the drive. Tip the cap to Harden.
penny_nz
Analyst
And1: 1,565

Post#714 » by penny_nz » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:32 am

ORLMagicGirl15 wrote:Man, I can't wait until the off season when our front office is forced to do something.

I would love that to be true, LOVE that ... but i have zero faith in this FO doing anything but giving extensions, drafting, and picking up journeyman FAs
I still believe in Magic! Welcome to the Franz & Paolo era
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#715 » by MagicMatic » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:34 am

Knightro wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:Yes and no.

Like we can debate the merits of all this iso ball, but the Magic specifically hunted the Paolo/Harden matchup late in the game by running multiple screen actions to force Clipper switches.

Paolo got the exact defensive look that he and the team wanted and he just got stripped on the drive. Tip the cap to Harden.

Yeah for as good as Paolo is I hate the idea that a 21 year old in his second season is just calling his own number down the stretch of a game like this. Draw up a god damn play and execute it with a better look.

That’s what I’m saying in all of this. The last 3 plays of the game can’t all be the same exact ****. It makes me believe Mosely has no actual offense.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#716 » by Knightro » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:40 am

MagicMatic wrote:Yeah for as good as Paolo is I hate the idea that a 21 year old in his second season is just calling his own number down the stretch of a game like this. Draw up a god damn play and execute it with a better look.

That’s what I’m saying in all of this. The last 3 plays of the game can’t all be the same exact ****. It makes me believe Mosely has no actual offense.

'They did draw up a play though. The play was Paolo isolating on Harden.

They ran two different screen actions to get Leonard off Paolo, then Harden specifically switched onto Paolo. It ended up being a straight isolation, but they made it happen with intent.

Harden just made a very good defensive play.
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#717 » by MagicMatic » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:44 am

Knightro wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:Yeah for as good as Paolo is I hate the idea that a 21 year old in his second season is just calling his own number down the stretch of a game like this. Draw up a god damn play and execute it with a better look.

'They did draw up a play though. The play was Paolo isolating on Harden.

They ran two different screen actions to get Leonard off Paolo, then Harden specifically switched onto Paolo. It ended up being a straight isolation, but they made it happen with intent.

Harden just made a very good defensive play.

Then we disagree with the idea that it should have been an iso in those moments. It’s not surprising that Orlando came back into this game when the ball was moving and they didn’t go to the obvious isolation.

I think you are also being a little disingenuous about overvaluing Harden of all players for their defensive acumen in that moment. I need to also see some numbers on how efficient Paolo is going downhill in isolation and how often it’s either a turnover, a foul, or missed call because it doesn’t seem like it’s actually a good play at this point.

I might be wrong about that, but more often than not I’m not expecting him to finish inside on iso drives from the top of the key.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#718 » by Knightro » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:55 am

MagicMatic wrote:Then we disagree with the idea that it should have been an iso in those moments. It’s not surprising that Orlando came back into this game when the ball was moving and they didn’t go to the obvious isolation.

I think you are also being a little disingenuous about overvaluing Harden of all players for their defensive acumen in that moment. I need to also see some numbers on how efficient Paolo is going downhill in isolation and how often it’s either a turnover, a foul, or missed call because it doesn’t seem like it’s actually a good play at this point.

I might be wrong about that, but more often than not I’m not expecting him to finish inside on iso drives from the top of the key.

I'm not saying it was the *right* call. I'm saying it was the action the Magic's coaching staff clearly wanted in that moment. They called the multiple screen actions to get that matchup. It wasn't just some Paolo freelance thing.

Paolo made 6 made baskets in the halfcourt tonight. 3 of them came directly against Harden, including a straight isolation floater with 1:29 to go to put the Magic up 1.
ogmagicfan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,669

Post#719 » by ogmagicfan » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:38 am

penny_nz wrote:

I would love that to be true, LOVE that ... but i have zero faith in this FO doing anything but giving extensions, drafting, and picking up journeyman FAs

Sadly the only way I see our team making substansive upgrades this offseason is if Paolo & Franz put pressure on the Front Office to do so.

Just like how the FO didnt seriously start looking at trades with our last core until AG & Fournier were putting pressure on them to trade them.

It's alot to ask a 2nd & 3rd yr player to put pressure on the FO but its really our biggest hope

Wish we got FVV last offseason :noway:
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,670

Post#720 » by Rainwater » Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:02 am

ogmagicfan wrote:
penny_nz wrote:

Sadly the only way I see our team making substansive upgrades this offseason is if Paolo & Franz put pressure on the Front Office to do so.

Just like how the FO didnt seriously start looking at trades with our last core until AG & Fournier were putting pressure on them to trade them.

It's alot to ask a 2nd & 3rd yr player to put pressure on the FO but its really our biggest hope

Wish we got FVV last offseason :noway:

I think they will make moves this offseason season. Seems like it was planned that way. Was just watching a podcast talking about how the Magic have a ton of cap space and this is the offseason to make moves as the Suggs, Franz, and Paolo extensions are expected. They will be the team to watch.

If this is the case I will applaud the front office.

Return to Orlando Magic