ImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA Playoffs Round 1 Game 3: (4) Cleveland Cavaliers at (5) Orlando Magic - Cavs up 2-0

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

byeganyo
Junior
And1: 125

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs Round 1 Game 3: (4) Cleveland Cavaliers at (5) Orlando Magic - Cavs up 2-0 

Post#701 » by byeganyo » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:40 pm

zaymon wrote:Allen was too big for Isaac. Coming from the bench feels just right for him at least for now.
We have something with Suggs/Wagner/Banchero. Now we have to find a point guard and a center. Two most important questions. Can we trade defense for offense at the pg spot, and can we trade shooting for rim protection at center.

This was a great game to watch, glad Black and Howard got on the floor

The answer is in the question, isnt it? Things will balance out - if we get more offense from our starting PG, we can play more defensive rim protecting center without losing anything in the process?
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,528

Re: 2024 NBA Playoffs Round 1 Game 3: (4) Cleveland Cavaliers at (5) Orlando Magic - Cavs up 2-0 

Post#702 » by jezzerinho » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:58 pm

zaymon wrote:Allen was too big for Isaac. Coming from the bench feels just right for him at least for now.
We have something with Suggs/Wagner/Banchero. Now we have to find a point guard and a center. Two most important questions. Can we trade defense for offense at the pg spot, and can we trade shooting for rim protection at center.

This was a great game to watch, glad Black and Howard got on the floor

There was the size issue but also I think positionally JI got caught in the wrong spots multiple times. He's never really played center in the traditional sense and the Cavs frontcourt pulled him all over the place. Wendell might not be the same defensive beast but - as you said - he's a big physical presence and crucially he knows where to be and when to be there.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,147

Post#703 » by MagicMatic » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:28 pm

Paolo had a career defining game last night. Probably the first time nationally people could see what hes capable of that most Magic fans already knew. The same goes for Suggs. Not sure how you come out of watching that game and not see the potential of Franz, Paolo, and Suggs. They dominated.
doct3r dr3
RealGM
And1: 2,511

Post#704 » by doct3r dr3 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:57 pm

Read on Twitter
BadMofoPimp wrote:Reached for a 2nd round talent in Nicholson.
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,789

Post#705 » by Rainwater » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:12 pm

Skybox wrote:
jezzerinho wrote:Wow. Just wow.

Paolo last night was unplayable. In the third, he went on a tear that crushed Cleveland souls in its wake. With Paolo its all mental - if he can get it going early he's amazing at keeping us up on the scoreboard.

I found it fascinating how we picked on Mobley so much. Our bigs drove into his body, our guards picked on him on the perimeter. We obviously saw something there that we liked and it sure worked. We stayed out of Allen's way so his influence was fairly marginal i thought.

Garland wasn't just murdered, Suggs dug up his corpse and killed him again, then nabbed his ghost and strangled him too.

Fun times.

“Picked On” really is the right description. Paolo had an icy predatory demeanor when they started to blow it open. He was demanding isos, waving guys off…just bullying out there and couldn’t miss…it was truly dominant…I really hope it’s a career turning point, he’s always had a serious presence, but he was downright scary last night. I honestly like that he’s not the happy goofy type that some of the “family” on the bench projects… some of those guys will soon be gone or relegated to cheering section as the team moves forward.

Paolo is evolved mentally (and, obviously, physically) way beyond his age.

I saw him wave off Franz a few times and I told myself dude is in savage mode right now
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,789

Post#706 » by Rainwater » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:13 pm

Black and Blue wrote:Had to miss the game yesterday due to some extremely unfortunate family news. Happy we won. Definitely needed some positivity and reading this thread helped greatly. Thank you guys.

Wish you well my brother
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,477

Post#707 » by eyriq » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:17 pm

Skybox wrote:

Paolo last night was unplayable. In the third, he went on a tear that crushed Cleveland souls in its wake. With Paolo its all mental - if he can get it going early he's amazing at keeping us up on the scoreboard.

I found it fascinating how we picked on Mobley so much. Our bigs drove into his body, our guards picked on him on the perimeter. We obviously saw something there that we liked and it sure worked. We stayed out of Allen's way so his influence was fairly marginal i thought.

Garland wasn't just murdered, Suggs dug up his corpse and killed him again, then nabbed his ghost and strangled him too.

Fun times.

“Picked On” really is the right description. Paolo had an icy predatory demeanor when they started to blow it open. He was demanding isos, waving guys off…just bullying out there and couldn’t miss…it was truly dominant…I really hope it’s a career turning point, he’s always had a serious presence, but he was downright scary last night. I honestly like that he’s not the happy goofy type that some of the “family” on the bench projects… some of those guys will soon be gone or relegated to cheering section as the team moves forward.

I'm not sure how you can see this as a turning point. He's been on this trajectory since putting Joseph on a poster in the first game of his rookie season. #1 pick, ROY, all-star, +12 and +13 wins in consecutive seasons. It's been clear he was our franchise player right away.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,247

Post#708 » by Optimus_Steel » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:39 pm

eyriq wrote:
Skybox wrote:

Fun times.

I'm not sure how you can see this as a turning point. He's been on this trajectory since putting Joseph on a poster in the first game of his rookie season. #1 pick, ROY, all-star, +12 and +13 wins in consecutive seasons. It's been clear he was our franchise player right away.

He has been doing this since game 1 and all people seem to focus on is what he struggles on at the moment. No vision or sense of perception. Since his first few rookie games he was doing things that only handful of great players have done to start a career.
aka: prorl
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,694

Post#709 » by Skybox » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:21 pm

eyriq wrote:
msmoore66 wrote:
eyriq wrote:Crazy the JI at center experiment failed

Read on Twitter
?t=a-q7zbuvSYa3oTjV_myuYQ&s=19

I think there is a lot of context to it. Probably should have changed after the first game to be honest. Our 2nd unit suffered from him not being it.

I think it could be tested again vs a different opponent.

I think it is straight forward. He feasts against bench players and is mid against starters.

He doesn't bring offense against anyone and he defends everyone at an otherworldly level...it's more a matter of the starting lineup lacking offense and the bench guys lacking defense.

...I'd honestly consider going with Franz at PG with Suggs, Isaac, PB, WCJ tomorrow - for extended stretches. Clearly, we need to fill in the gaps this summer, but for a shortened rotation, that's our best group and Franz is as competent as anyone currently on the roster at initiating the offense. It's not ideal or sustainable, but that's true of our roster.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#710 » by Skybox » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:23 pm

eyriq wrote:
Skybox wrote:

Fun times.

He hit an entirely new level of dominance last night...well beyond the stats. He just had an elevated Kobe-like demeanor. He's always been really good and calm...last night I saw something more.
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,398

Post#711 » by tooler » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:34 pm

Paolo was awesome but he took a ton of jump shots. Those don't always go in, folks.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,147

Post#712 » by MagicMatic » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:49 pm

doct3r dr3 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Media hates Orlando : exhibit Z
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,477

Post#713 » by eyriq » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:50 pm

doct3r dr3 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Incredible stuff. We aren't even worth 20 seconds of consideration.
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,111

Post#714 » by KillMonger » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:21 pm

tooler wrote:Paolo was awesome but he took a ton of jump shots. Those don't always go in, folks.

whether they go in or not if he's the guy we need him to be down the line these are the shots he needs to take and make....and now is the time to take them.....the efficiency isn't the best with these shots for sure but for me i don't want an alpha shying away from shots
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,071

Post#715 » by Residual-Heat » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:25 pm

tooler wrote:Paolo was awesome but he took a ton of jump shots. Those don't always go in, folks.

his short jumpers im fine with. just dont settle for long 2s. I would like to see him take it to the rim more though. Paolo is already strong for his age, but he can still add a lot of muscle. I would like to see him bulk up a bit in the offseason.
three3d
Junior
And1: 58

Post#716 » by three3d » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:36 pm

Paolo is a beautiful combination of frustrating and scary. He’s a tough shot maker, big shot taker, and he can drop dimes like a point guard! If you’re not paying attention to the stat line and just watching the game at times it seems like Paolo had a off night or quiet night then you look at the stats and see he had 22 points 7 boards and 5 assist .

It’s scary how much more efficient and better he could become AND once we have a point guard that can help him learn how much easier offense can be he will reach his full potential.
AKAGoMagic15
Ballboy
And1: 15

Post#717 » by AKAGoMagic15 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:49 pm

Black and Blue wrote:Had to miss the game yesterday due to some extremely unfortunate family news. Happy we won. Definitely needed some positivity and reading this thread helped greatly. Thank you guys.

Very sorry to hear that, passing thoughts and condolences during this difficult time
Skybox
RealGM

Post#718 » by Skybox » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:02 pm

Residual-Heat wrote:

his short jumpers im fine with. just dont settle for long 2s. I would like to see him take it to the rim more though. Paolo is already strong for his age, but he can still add a lot of muscle. I would like to see him bulk up a bit in the offseason.

he does and will take it to the rim even more thunderously when there aren't 4 defenders to crash through...I think his efficiency is amazing considering the offensive load he carries while defenders ignore our perimeter "threats".

Last night, and every once in a while, the shots fall for guys that aren't reliable 3pt shooters...when we have legit guys that you EXPECT to make those open 3's...Paolo will look like a Rhino stomping an anthill if facing single-coverage.

Suggs' shot looks clean and confident...I don't think he's a fluke...add more
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,071

Post#719 » by Residual-Heat » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:30 pm

definitely need more shooting, but still think Paolo settles for tough shots at times. I
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,921

Post#720 » by SOUL » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:46 pm

Eh, Ringer usually gives a lot of Orlando time on their show. Ceruti, (previously) Kevin Clark.

Most annoying was a Cavs podcast where 2 guys wanted to talk about the game and the third host was like, "Really? This was a scheduled loss, they gave it to them once they realized they were missing threes, we should talk about the 2nd round versus Boston.. or maybe Heat.. and if it's the Heat then we're favored too, we can make the ECF" and the dude did not want to talk about anything at all besides the 2nd round.. was weird.

Return to Orlando Magic