ImageImageImageImage

Glen Davis future on the Magic?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, SOUL, ChosenSavior

PersianCeltic
Rookie
And1: 51
Location: Read REALGM for many years before I started posting

Re: Glen Davis future on the Magic? 

Post#61 » by PersianCeltic » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:27 am

eyriq wrote:Glen Davis had a career year this season, yet he was average as far as starting PFs go. More value as a role player, but thinks he's baby KG. I kind of get that he expanded his role to fill the vacuum left by the trades, and I get that we started the season with a top eight defense, yet small sample size and a resume of suck trailing him overrides any excitement I might have about his value.

Ouch. I could see him becoming a super 6th man on a contender. High energy x-type player that can change the tone of the game. I'm just not sure he could ever be a really good starter.
KingRobb02
Lead Assistant
And1: 917

Post#62 » by KingRobb02 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:00 pm

PersianCeltic wrote:
eyriq wrote:Glen Davis had a career year this season, yet he was average as far as starting PFs go. More value as a role player, but thinks he's baby KG. I kind of get that he expanded his role to fill the vacuum left by the trades, and I get that we started the season with a top eight defense, yet small sample size and a resume of suck trailing him overrides any excitement I might have about his value.

Ouch. I could see him becoming a super 6th man on a contender. High energy x-type player that can change the tone of the game. I'm just not sure he could ever be a really good starter.

How? Even the Celtics benched him for guys like Mikki Moore and the ancient Jermaine O'Neal.
PersianCeltic
Rookie
And1: 51
Location: Read REALGM for many years before I started posting

Post#63 » by PersianCeltic » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:32 pm

That was because he was out of shape. When he is in good physical condition he becomes a much better player.
Orium
Assistant Coach
And1: 349

Post#64 » by Orium » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:39 pm

PersianCeltic wrote:That was because he was out of shape. When he is in good physical condition he becomes a much better player.

I don't know about that, it means he has confidence and asserts himself more. Not a good thing.
The curse of Fran Vasquez lives on
LBPTarHeel27
RealGM
And1: 1,512

Post#65 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:59 pm

There is absolutely no reason for him to be on the roster next season. We have young guys that need those minutes and shots. We all saw, before the injury, he was a black hole on offense. This team will not be able to grow with him having a role on the floor.

He is still a valuable player and I do agree with the notion that he could be a great 6th man on a contender. That being said...I would gladly trade him for a late first rounder in next years draft + other considerations of some sort (decent young player/future picks). Obviously the earlier the better...but I'd take #30 in next year's draft for BBD.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,931

Post#66 » by RookieStar » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:57 pm

If we are gunning for the #1 draft pick next yer then there is DEFINITELY NO place for him
claudio-br
Sixth Man
And1: 750

Post#67 » by claudio-br » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:58 pm

if we have a lot of young guys on the team, we need someone with more experience to be a good locker room and help thos guys to develop. davis fits in this role. if he leaves, we gon' need someone else to do that
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 38,107

Post#68 » by SOUL » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:53 am

he might "fit the role" of "having experience" but he still takes 16 shots a game. i mean, if we need locker room guys sign foyle or something again
G-Heel
Head Coach
And1: 365

Post#69 » by G-Heel » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:27 pm

Reading this thread gives me a lot of chuckle and disbelief.. wow.
Fire Otis!
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,040

Post#70 » by drsd » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:27 pm

Saint Nicolas wrote:he might "fit the role" of "having experience" but he still takes 16 shots a game. i mean, if we need locker room guys sign foyle or something again

Davis was the glue that led to a strong defense. His absence quickly created one of the worst, and then The Worst, defense in the NBA.

B-ball is played both ways.

I Rasharted
Sixth Man
And1: 855

Post#71 » by I Rasharted » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:55 pm

BayAreaMadSkill wrote:Glen Davis is garbage. Any Magic fan that thinks otherwise is delusional.

Yep. And you can be sure Hennigan has been dying to get rid of him since day 1. Hard to see it actually happening given his contract--talk about overpaying for mediocre (at best) talent. Maybe he finds a way at next year's trade deadline, though.
basketballRob wrote:Another good benefit about eating plants is that the artery going to your penis gets unclogged and starts flowing real good.
gp123
Bench Warmer
And1: 75

Post#72 » by gp123 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:51 pm

I'd be perfectly happy having BBD back... I think he is a very good player -- has selfish tendencies on offense but the guy can score in a surprising number of ways for a guy his size.

I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt on some of his poor shot selections -- many times the other players would wind up in trouble and swing him the ball at the end of the shot clock... so I won't blame him for ALL of his bad shots.

If he can come in in great shape and focus he can be an outstanding two way player -- he is one of the better post defenders, vocal team defender, excellent screen man, and very good at getting to line. These are all very important things to have and the guy will be what 27?

I honestly see us keeping BBD at least until the next trade deadline, although it really is a hard call because management is probably looking to drive the tank to wigginsville, and BBD doesn't fit well through the hatch.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,040

Post#73 » by drsd » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:45 pm

It is almost unfathomable the contrasting views we have here on Davis. What cannot be argued is that when he played the Magic won nearly at a 50% clip, and when not, Orlando was the worst team in the NBA; by quite a margin.

To call Davis "garbage" and complain about his 6.4-M contract is something I simply cannot understand.

That said, Davis is not the long-term guy to play next to Vučević. Maybe he logs one more year; I simply cannot see Davis in Magic blue for the 2014/15 season.

eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,584

Post#74 » by eyriq » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:58 pm

drsd wrote:It is almost unfathomable the contrasting views we have here on Davis. What cannot be argued is that when he played the Magic won nearly at a 50% clip, and when not, Orlando was the worst team in the NBA; by quite a margin.

To call Davis "garbage" and complain about his 6.4-M contract is something I simply cannot understand.

That said, Davis is not the long-term guy to play next to Vučević. Maybe he logs one more year; I simply cannot see Davis in Magic blue for the 2014/15 season.

Too much noise in that small sample to arrive at this idea of Davis as a defensive anchor for a top 8 defense. Expand the sample outward from just this early season and you fail to find any evidence of the idea. Hence, it is probably a wrong headed idea.
claudio-br
Sixth Man
And1: 750

Post#75 » by claudio-br » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:34 pm

I also think BBD gets way too much hate. I mean, guy plays with a lot of hustle, thats already something really important that could influence the youngsters around

Saint Nicolas wrote:he might "fit the role" of "having experience" but he still takes 16 shots a game. i mean, if we need locker room guys sign foyle or something again

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAfYNZ2SE3U[/youtube]
mbn23
Pro Prospect
And1: 76

Post#76 » by mbn23 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:58 am

At this point, I'd trade him for a Klondike Bar.
Just Sayin
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,068

Post#77 » by p0peye » Fri May 10, 2024 5:35 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:BBD is probably the highest BBD-IQ player on the Magic. Keep himi ASAP!

Damn, BBD did prove us all wrong at the end!

Read on Twitter
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,857

Post#78 » by Knightro » Fri May 10, 2024 5:45 pm

What an incredible deep pull.
Message Boar
Analyst
And1: 1,919