ImageImageImageImage

NBA Playoffs Thread (non-Magic games discussion)

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, SOUL, ChosenSavior

ogmagicfan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,770

Re: NBA Playoffs Thread (non-Magic games discussion) 

Post#1581 » by ogmagicfan » Fri May 10, 2024 2:30 am

byeganyo wrote:We need also to learn how to play at the end of the quarter. With 1.5 seconds remaining you can bet we were not getting any shot - OKC managed to score...

We're just as bad at stopping teams from scoring at the end of quarter plays

Wonder if someone could pull teams defensive success at stopping last plays at the end of quarters along with teams success rates at end of quarters
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,406

Post#1582 » by pepe1991 » Fri May 10, 2024 5:08 am

Mitchell is having yet another masterful playoffs. Too bad his teams are never top tear contenders. next stop- Lakers? :lol:

Boston missed so many 3s, Brown and White alone combined for 1-14

East is open, vast majority of contenders are on West, and Western teams are more talented in general. Like, we can have situation where Knicks will probably end up in ECF, maybe Finals, and i would not pick them in series against any of 8 teams from West. Maybe Pelicans.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 38,109

Post#1583 » by SOUL » Fri May 10, 2024 5:22 am

Knicks feast on lazy teams and can shoot threes well, would prob beat Pels, Suns, maybe Clippers. Lakers might be tough because of AD though.
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#1584 » by pepe1991 » Fri May 10, 2024 7:14 am

SOUL wrote:Knicks feast on lazy teams and can shoot threes well, would prob beat Pels, Suns, maybe Clippers. Lakers might be tough because of AD though.

For whatever it's worth their regular season against those teams:
Pelicans 0-2
Suns 1-1
Clippers 1-1
Lakers 1-1

In general Boston and Cavs are only teams among top 6 Eastern conference teams with positive record vs West in regular season (and Philly, at 7th ).

On other hand, Western best teams beat living crap out of Eastern teams on regular bases.

I apsolutley don't think Knicks would dominate anybody on West with one person offense and 4 role players playing 46 min each, with almost no bench. Even current sucess is more result of them hitting 3s at not very sustainable rate for roster constructed in ways they are + Brunson averaging 35 ppg :crazy:
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 38,109

Post#1585 » by SOUL » Fri May 10, 2024 7:37 am

pepe1991 wrote:I apsolutley don't think Knicks would dominate anybody on West with one person offense and 4 role players playing 46 min each, with almost no bench. Even current sucess is more result of them hitting 3s at not very sustainable rate for roster constructed in ways they are + Brunson averaging 35 ppg :crazy:

Unfortunately a lot of regular season stuff is just grain of salt record wise.... players injured, etc. OKC was 3-1 vs Dallas but two games Doncic didnt play, one Irving didnt play and they had a bunch of scrubs starting.. so a lot of caveats when it comes to that. But in general, seems like even matchup.

Pelicans without Zion are bad though. Clippers without Kawhi are very beatable.

But who knows? Maybe if Knicks were healthy with Randle they also wouldn't be as good lol, but they have been without him a while.

West is definitely way harder conference, but I think people underrate the Knicks. Tons of injuries all year, Thibs playing people crazy minutes, 6-7 man rotations and still winning.

It's sustainable until it isn't.. there has to be a limit. Don't think it's the finals but if we had relative injury-free first round.. there's no way anyone can say Suns and Clippers can out-talent people with any combination of old vets. We've seen last few years how just throwing talent together doesn't work.

Wolves are probably on different level than anyone right now in current form. Nuggets can get there but they're playing the Wolves. Thunder/Dallas have top end talent, but not sure about the overall rosters yet.

East has Boston who obviously have the talent AND fit but questionable heart, and Knicks have a lot of hard working players who are solid and one star.

Lot of different styles right now which is fun
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,933

Post#1586 » by RookieStar » Fri May 10, 2024 10:48 am

But no matter what, bottom line ia NYK has been gifted with 2 PO wins by the refs with those calls. One when they clobbered Maxey and the other one in Game 1 against IND.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,953

Post#1587 » by basketballRob » Fri May 10, 2024 12:18 pm

RookieStar wrote:But no matter what, bottom line ia NYK has been gifted with 2 PO wins by the refs with those calls. One when they clobbered Maxey and the other one in Game 1 against IND.
The last time we played them, I could see they were getting away with a lot. They clobbered Franz and Paolo every time they put the ball on the floor. We played them right after the NBA decided not to call so many fouls. It's like they catered to their playing style.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,831

Post#1588 » by Skybox » Fri May 10, 2024 1:39 pm

I think a lot of finesse teams would have the same complaints about ORL's defensive physicality, particularly Suggs...which I love :D
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#1589 » by pepe1991 » Fri May 10, 2024 2:34 pm

Skybox wrote:I think a lot of finesse teams would have the same complaints about ORL's defensive physicality, particularly Suggs...which I love :D

Yep, we get away with lot of handsgrabbing as well.
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 4,015

Post#1590 » by Last Guardian » Fri May 10, 2024 3:26 pm

Cleveland scored 118. Magic only allowed them over 100 twice in 7 games and they were barely over 100. Magic playoff defense was something else.
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#1591 » by RookieStar » Fri May 10, 2024 9:41 pm

basketballRob wrote:
RookieStar wrote:But no matter what, bottom line ia NYK has been gifted with 2 PO wins by the refs with those calls. One when they clobbered Maxey and the other one in Game 1 against IND.
The last time we played them, I could see they were getting away with a lot. They clobbered Franz and Paolo every time they put the ball on the floor. We played them right after the NBA decided not to call so many fouls. It's like they catered to their playing style.

Its not the grabbing and physicality between us and the knicks that I noticed, its that Brunson was rewarded with a lot of flops. Even when he was moving, he just had to do a head snap back and he gets a call. It frustrated a lot of our guys.

If they don't call those soft and flops, then I wouldn't think as much that the league gifted NY 2 wins already
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,050

Post#1592 » by fendilim » Fri May 10, 2024 11:06 pm

Lol at wolvs making aaron gordon create shots haha
Skybox
RealGM

Post#1593 » by Skybox » Sat May 11, 2024 12:04 am

RookieStar wrote:
basketballRob wrote:

Its not the grabbing and physicality between us and the knicks that I noticed, its that Brunson was rewarded with a lot of flops. Even when he was moving, he just had to do a head snap back and he gets a call. It frustrated a lot of our guys.

If they don't call those soft and flops, then I wouldn't think as much that the league gifted NY 2 wins already

I hate that stuff, but to be fair:
-Franz has a head snap on every drive…sometimes two
-both Wagners believe they’ve been fouled every possession. Mo, in particular, always looks maniacally confused at the oversight.
-Suggs, the Uber-physical football guy is always limping and grimacing like a WWE wrestler who had a chair smashed over the head, but he miraculously heals the instant the ball is back in play…these kids watch too much soccer growing up :lol:

*Paolo, the Italian Stallion, on the other hand, gets fouled as much as anyone in the league and never cracks his icy demeanor. The only thing that pisses him off is not making the and-1
NavalAviator94
Analyst
And1: 1,459

Post#1594 » by NavalAviator94 » Sat May 11, 2024 1:08 am

The Knicks are a fun team to watch. They are also playing really good.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#1595 » by RookieStar » Sat May 11, 2024 1:16 am

Skybox wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
basketballRob wrote:The last time we played them, I could see they were getting away with a lot. They clobbered Franz and Paolo every time they put the ball on the floor. We played them right after the NBA decided not to call so many fouls. It's like they catered to their playing style.

I hate that stuff, but to be fair:
-Franz has a head snap on every drive…sometimes two
-both Wagners believe they’ve been fouled every possession. Mo, in particular, always looks maniacally confused at the oversight.
-Suggs, the Uber-physical football guy is always limping and grimacing like a WWE wrestler who had a chair smashed over the head, but he miraculously heals the instant the ball is back in play…these kids watch too much soccer growing up :lol:

*Paolo, the Italian Stallion, on the other hand, gets fouled as much as anyone in the league and never cracks his icy demeanor. The only thing that pisses him off is not making the and-1

True. But Suggs and the Wagner bros dont get called for flops. You just have to look at Franz arms to see the fouls called and the swipe at him to see its all good.

Yet when Brunson does the cp3/harden special, he gets the call. So yeah...
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,281

Post#1596 » by Optimus_Steel » Sat May 11, 2024 4:03 am

Champs saying not so fast pups.
aka: prorl
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#1597 » by pepe1991 » Sat May 11, 2024 7:32 am

Nuggets stomped Wolves.
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#1598 » by pepe1991 » Sun May 12, 2024 5:42 am

PJ Washington turning into allstar in playoffs :lol:

Dallas is hard to beat.

Cavs really need Allen to return asap if they want to have a series.
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,068

Post#1599 » by p0peye » Sun May 12, 2024 10:38 am

Man, playing in East doesn't give us proper perspective on what it means to be a contender. Eastern teams pad their records (win-pad?) and can easily endup in Finals while at the same time they might be a play-in caliber team in West. Pathetic.

If we want to actually win anytime in future, we need to measure ourselves against true contenders, not Cavs, Knicks or Sixers.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#1600 » by Skybox » Sun May 12, 2024 5:21 pm

I love what DAL did...bringing in PJ Washington and Gafford with their last frps in the treasure chest. They are stacked deep, heavy at the skill positions AND role players, and really not that old overall...screw the draft and the resulting nursery school of development and hoping/guessing what they'll be.

You had to do something or risk Luka losing faith anyway. Worst scenario...Even if it was a total fail and Luka demands out...he's bringing back a half-dozen picks and prospects - so you're starting your rebuild anyway.

Just win baby.

Return to Orlando Magic