ImageImageImageImage

Who would you rather we go after this offseason?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, SOUL, ChosenSavior

Which guard/s do yall want?

Malik Monk
14%
Klay Thompson
5%
Paul George
10%
Dejounte Murray
20%
Trae Young
11%
Devin Booker
11%
Tyus Jones
5%
More than 1 of them
16%
None of them
8%

Total votes: 88

MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,148

Re: Who would you rather we go after this offseason? 

Post#241 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Sat May 11, 2024 2:12 am

Tyus didn’t have the ball in his hands all the time. Dude had 16.6 usage rate while Poole had 26.4 and FKyleKuzma at 29.7.

What’s crazier is Tyus usage was lower than Fultz who somehow clocked in at 18.8.

Magic don’t need an alpha handler they just need a dude who can take pressure off enough while being a threat. Murray Monk Tyus Paul George Juwanna Mann IDGAF just get one.
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,282

Post#242 » by MagicMatic » Sat May 11, 2024 2:58 am

I get that people want someone more than Tyus. I just think that he would provide a lot more than stats suggest on this roster without having to share the floor with Poole and Kuzma.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,414

Post#243 » by SD2042 » Sat May 11, 2024 3:08 am

eyriq wrote:
Skin wrote:
OrlChamps2030 wrote:I like Murray, Simons, and Monk for this team.

… the order of preference changes for me daily

I used to like Simmons, but nah. Way too injury prone and I think POR will ask for too much.

Gimme Tyus Jones and Gary Trent Jr.

PG Tyus Jones / Anthony Black
SG Jalen Suggs / Gary Trent Jr
SF Franz Wagner / Jett Howard
PF Paolo Banchero / Jonathan Isaac
C Wendell Carter Jr / Mo Wagner

We don't lose our identity, but we get drastically better. Trent is an unselfish player who has played the 6th man role before, but shouldn't feel like he can't compete to be a starter. If we pay him what he wants, I think he's a near perfect fit for us.
Nice plan right here, well done

I've been pulling for Tyus to the Magic for a while now. A steady PG playmaker who can get players to their positions to make the shots. Someone who can teach AB how to be a better PG in the league. Trent is another SG I've been following since his Duke days. He too will be a reliable 6th Man on the roster. A player who can help improve the Magic's ranking on offense. Improve their chances on being a better threat on offense.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,857

Post#244 » by Knightro » Sat May 11, 2024 3:17 am

Tyus is fine, but I’d like him a lot more in Cole’s role (backup PG) than I would as a starter.

I’d probably go another direction.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,237

Post#245 » by cedric76 » Sat May 11, 2024 5:39 am

Tyus as a Starter doesn't fit our defensive scheme, it s not happening

Back up PG yes, Starter no
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,826

Post#246 » by Skybox » Sat May 11, 2024 9:41 am

Skin wrote:
Skybox wrote:
Skin wrote:Monk is irratic. When he's hot he's amazing, but opposite is true when he's cold. He's also a shoot first PG. That doesn't seem to be the best thing for this team. Especially as a 35% 3pt shooter.

I get that we need a PG to spread the floor and make 3s. But there has to be a balance. We don't want a guy who limits ball movement because he needs his shots. Tyus shot 41% from 3 last year, but he's doesn't have the shoot first mentality. He has to be respected from deep or he can make them pay. He's a more harmonious option. Team chemistry is going to be a main attention factor for us going forward. Everyone loves playing with a guy who passes.

This is gonna be a long fun offseason of debating. Team Tyus! :D

Tyus is incredible at what is, for ORL, a secondary priority...but,
-he managed to score 12ppg on an awful team
-he got up LESS THAN ONE fta per game, despite playing 29mpg with the ball in his hands
-got up just under 4 3pa's per game, with the ball largely in his hands - again, on a terrible team
-he's tiny and will get targeted mercilessly

He's SO efficient but he just doesn't hunt shots...we all had the same complaints about Harris' shooting 40% but not taking enough shots to gain any defensive respect and spread the floor. He's also getting paid a pretty fair amount and will probably get a Fultz-like salary next season...I like him for SAS, where Wemby is THE star but needs a setup guy. ORL's offense is so unconventional that an old school PG is not a great fit.

That's not true about Tyus not seeking his own shot. You might be thinking of Tyus earlier in his career. He's changed as a starter. The Gary Harris comp is a bad one. Gary Harris doesn't make anything happen on the floor when he's not shooting.

Monk only averaged 2.1 3s per game. For someone who's arguing point is that his shooting is his main strength, he's not that much of a volume improvement over Tyus and Tyus is more effecient and consistent his entire career. Monk's 3pt% is erratic year to year... 34% to 28% to 40% to 35% the last 2 years... what exactly are we getting?

12 ppg, ONE fta- so he’s not driving, 3.9 3pa’s - so he’s not volume shooting either…Tyus would be infinitely better than Fultz but THIS summer ORL should be saying “Is there ANYBODY better that we can acquire before we settle for a marginal upgrade?)…that goes for Monk too…they should be aiming higher-at least at first. Guys like GTJ, Tyus Jones, Kennard, Hield are improvements, but to what end?
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,185

Post#247 » by OrlChamps2030 » Sat May 11, 2024 9:45 am

zaymon wrote:
Skin wrote:
OrlChamps2030 wrote:
I like Tyus - if we traded for him at the deadline we are playing Boston tomorrow night at home with the series tied at 1-1.

But ultimately I don’t see him as a long term starter, just a backup or a possible bridge guy. I think with Paolo/Franz/Suggs needing to get paid soon, this could be our last summer to make a “splash”.

I also don’t think playmaking is the primary skill set we need out of our PG - Simons/Monk are “adequate” playmakers and that’s really all we need. I also feel like both guys still have another level they can reach - not sure we can say the same about Tyus

Playmaking is something we badly need, but isn't recognized. The amount of turnovers that we make, is sloppy and undisciplined. We're young, but that can't be an excuse. Playoffs is about playing smarter, and we just didn't get enough of that out of our veterans. When every possession matters, having a high IQ PG like Tyrus is huge.

Can Franz and Paolo provide playmaking? Yes, they can... but is it the best thing for them? Franz was definitely trying to do too much. Paolo and Suggs were incredibly irresponsible with losing the ball. Get an intelligent player like Tyrus here and I think our team takes the next step. Monk and Simmons are what they are, just as Tyrus is what he is. Though you can make a point that Tyrus made the biggest step in improving his game this seaosn compared to those 2.

With everything though... Tyrus is not the missing piece. It also matters what else we do. It also matters that Black makes improvements too. He was a premium draft pick. He should grow into a starter or else be considered a bust.

Maybe Tyus is not the missing piece but at least i trust him to make good decision more often than not. I dont trust Simons with the ball at all. He is in the Suggs tier of basketball minds.

The Suggs part seems like a stretch - Simons had a career year with higher usage. He saw a pretty big jump in AST% this season. He is also a decent P&R ball handler.

Meanwhile Suggs has gotten better and better the more they take the ball out of his hands. And he still has no P&R game.

Simons definitely isn’t a pure PG but I just don’t think we need a pure PG on this team, just a guard that offers *some* playmaking and P&R ability. That’s why I like him and Monk this offseason
Skybox
RealGM

Post#248 » by Skybox » Sat May 11, 2024 9:51 am

MagicMatic wrote:I get that people want someone more than Tyus. I just think that he would provide a lot more than stats suggest on this roster without having to share the floor with Poole and Kuzma.

I like Tyus’ skillset, but this is kind of like the “per 36” argument for guys like AB…Poole sucks- why was Tyus, as lead distributor, accepting his own low but efficient usage? WAS was Tyus’ (and Poole’s) opportunity to show out…and they didn’t. We’ve heard on this thread things like “that’s what he was asked to do” or my favorite Fultzism…”he’s really good at deferring”.

I’d be happy to add Tyus…but if he’s the primary acquisition this summer for ORL, we’re settling.

Should’ve paid the pick and took him for a test ride…he’s certainly a good (offensive) fit, just not sure he’s enough.

Kind of like Gary Harris & OG Anunoby are both “3&D wings”…they both have the same role and skillset, but are far apart in impact.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#249 » by Skybox » Sat May 11, 2024 10:03 am

Knightro wrote:Tyus is fine, but I’d like him a lot more in Cole’s role (backup PG) than I would as a starter.

I’d probably go another direction.

I’m kind of warming to the idea of bringing in two guards…if opportunity presents. I posted a deal with ATL for Dejounte and Bogi, with the idea that Bogi is that very significant 3rd Guard, with AB and Jett getting some time at multiple spots (admittedly limited but more than their rookie seasons). Obviously, this leaves Cole out…I could see a similar role for Tyus, if he’d accept it. He’d still get plenty of mpg, but we need a more dynamic scorer next to Suggs in the starting lineup, imo.

When our offense got especially sloppy in the playoffs, it would have been amazing to have a guy like Tyus come in and get things orderly & efficient. But I don’t love him as a starter…Tyus has been the best backup PG in the league for years. He was great as a counterbalance to Ja’s wild energy in MEM- he could back him up or play next to him. Maybe Monk & Tyus could do that here. He’s also a candidate for an overpay, now that he’s a “starting PG”.

I DO like Tyus to SAS…POP’s got Wemby, who isn’t anything like Paolo & Franz. Wemby (& Vassell, etc)would really benefit from a setup man- they need organizing. Tre Jones isn’t enough, but Tyus would be a great fit…that’s also why I don’t really see SAS as a big threat to bid for Monk…different teams/different needs from a Lead Guard.
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,200

Post#250 » by zaymon » Sat May 11, 2024 1:31 pm

OrlChamps2030 wrote:
zaymon wrote:
Skin wrote:Playmaking is something we badly need, but isn't recognized. The amount of turnovers that we make, is sloppy and undisciplined. We're young, but that can't be an excuse. Playoffs is about playing smarter, and we just didn't get enough of that out of our veterans. When every possession matters, having a high IQ PG like Tyrus is huge.

Can Franz and Paolo provide playmaking? Yes, they can... but is it the best thing for them? Franz was definitely trying to do too much. Paolo and Suggs were incredibly irresponsible with losing the ball. Get an intelligent player like Tyrus here and I think our team takes the next step. Monk and Simmons are what they are, just as Tyrus is what he is. Though you can make a point that Tyrus made the biggest step in improving his game this seaosn compared to those 2.

With everything though... Tyrus is not the missing piece. It also matters what else we do. It also matters that Black makes improvements too. He was a premium draft pick. He should grow into a starter or else be considered a bust.

Maybe Tyus is not the missing piece but at least i trust him to make good decision more often than not. I dont trust Simons with the ball at all. He is in the Suggs tier of basketball minds.

The Suggs part seems like a stretch - Simons had a career year with higher usage. He saw a pretty big jump in AST% this season. He is also a decent P&R ball handler.

Meanwhile Suggs has gotten better and better the more they take the ball out of his hands. And he still has no P&R game.

Simons definitely isn’t a pure PG but I just don’t think we need a pure PG on this team, just a guard that offers *some* playmaking and P&R ability. That’s why I like him and Monk this offseason

Yeah i went too far with the analogy but i think you get the point. I would have less problems if we wanted to play Simons next to defensive PG like Jrue, Conley, White, even SGA but Suggs is not a point guard, and Black i propably not a point guard. I dont see a reason to make such a defensive downgrade if guy is not even great running the team. If Paolo is still running the offense lets get someone who is bigger than 6'3 and can actually defend. If we cant get anyone who is good shooter and defender or can run the team at high level let at least pick someone who is for free and here i can settle for Monk or Jones.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
Skybox
RealGM

Post#251 » by Skybox » Sat May 11, 2024 2:31 pm

Knightro wrote:I'm also weary about bringing in guys who did well on the worst team in the league.

especially if they DIDN'T do especially well on the worst team. Efficiency is nice but impact is a big deal too. 12ppg, 1 FTA ain't cutting it for a lead guard (for ORL)
neuraldarwinism
Sixth Man
And1: 1,065

Post#252 » by neuraldarwinism » Sat May 11, 2024 11:44 pm

i'm assuming he's not available but mikal bridges
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,663

Post#253 » by Skin » Sun May 12, 2024 12:15 am

Skybox wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:I get that people want someone more than Tyus. I just think that he would provide a lot more than stats suggest on this roster without having to share the floor with Poole and Kuzma.

I like Tyus’ skillset, but this is kind of like the “per 36” argument for guys like AB…Poole sucks- why was Tyus, as lead distributor, accepting his own low but efficient usage? WAS was Tyus’ (and Poole’s) opportunity to show out…and they didn’t. We’ve heard on this thread things like “that’s what he was asked to do” or my favorite Fultzism…”he’s really good at deferring”.

I’d be happy to add Tyus…but if he’s the primary acquisition this summer for ORL, we’re settling.

Should’ve paid the pick and took him for a test ride…he’s certainly a good (offensive) fit, just not sure he’s enough.

Kind of like Gary Harris & OG Anunoby are both “3&D wings”…they both have the same role and skillset, but are far apart in impact.

Who gave you the idea that Tyus is anyone's idea of a primary acquisition and the only thing we need to do?

Gimme Tyus, Trent Jr and a big body shot blocker.
Skin
RealGM

Post#254 » by Skin » Sun May 12, 2024 12:15 am

neuraldarwinism wrote:i'm assuming he's not available but mikal bridges

Would you give up Suggs if you could get Bridges?
Skybox
RealGM

Post#255 » by Skybox » Sun May 12, 2024 12:39 am

Skin wrote:
Skybox wrote:

Who gave you the idea that Tyus is anyone's idea of a primary acquisition and the only thing we need to do?

You ran out of money before you got to your shot blocker…or is it Dwight?

Tyus & GTJ? How much farther does that take ORL? :noway: Think a little bigger my friend. That’s a lot of money tied up in mediocrity.
anothermagicfan
Junior
And1: 233

Post#256 » by anothermagicfan » Sun May 12, 2024 12:58 am

I voted none of them. If I had to choose I'd lean towards Malik Monk. Booker is obviously the biggest game changer but I doubt he's available now or in the near future.

My preference is OG. I like his defense and his 3 point shooting and think he'd be a great long term piece to add to the core group. I just don't know what the deal is with his contract situation. I know he's a free agent after this season and I haven't seen anything about him already signing anything with the knicks. My bet is with the success they're having right now and what NY gave up to get him he's most likely staying there. It'd be great if he decided a core of PB Franz and Suggs was better to join than Brunson and Randle. Again probably not realistically available but my preference.

Next would be taking a chance on claxton especially with WCJ going in for surgery on his hand again. I like WCJ but I have serious doubts about him being a long term starter for us if we're contending for championships.

Monk would be the guy I'd shoot for if OG isn't an option. Simply put I think replacing Gary Harris minutes and production with monks would amount to a slightly better team and slightly more wins.

Probably the most important thing with this free agency period is to not overpay and whoever we pick up needs to be a good contractual value. The front office has maintained exceptional flexibility and kept us in the positive with owned future draft picks. The best chance at adding a perennial go to scorer probably comes via trade with a disgruntled star. Like a Booker if phoenix collapses and is forced to blow it up. Or a guy we just saw a lot of in Donovan Mitchell. Could you imagine if Cleveland fell apart and Mitchell wanted out. How different would the magic be with a scorer like him? Maybe it's worth keeping old man Joe around a little longer. They looked like they had a good connection after game 7.
SloNick Russia
Analyst
And1: 390

Post#257 » by SloNick Russia » Sun May 12, 2024 2:34 am

The FA list this summer is just very bad for us. At the moment its Klay or bust. We can offer him more money and a longer deal. Its up for the Warriors to make a call. Maybe Curry will force them to re-sign Klay at his terms.
For us it would be awsome to replace Ingles with Klay for 30 mins per game with his shooting and experience.

Sent from my SM-G9750 using RealGM mobile app
Skin
RealGM

Post#258 » by Skin » Sun May 12, 2024 4:21 am

Skybox wrote:
Skin wrote:
Skybox wrote:

You ran out of money before you got to your shot blocker…or is it Dwight?

Tyus & GTJ? How much farther does that take ORL? :noway: Think a little bigger my friend. That’s a lot of money tied up in mediocrity.

Draft and/or trade for bigs. Think big? Myles Turner is always on the block. Walker Kessler started less games because Utah brought in John Collins. Brook Lopez?
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,405

Post#259 » by pepe1991 » Sun May 12, 2024 6:02 am

neuraldarwinism wrote:i'm assuming he's not available but mikal bridges

If you are Nets, that kind a makes sense, without trade machine you would pick:
Black, Howard, Suns pick swap 2026, Nuggets 2025 pick, Magic 202(* ) pick and it would allow Nets to kickstart normal rebuild.

Problem with such trade is Weltman, who would rather prefer being bounced in first round year after year after year with excuse of "young" than actually seek to improve via trade and exposing himself of risk of losing trade.
In general i think most of trade ideas stop with Wetlman and his " 15 years rebuild " approach where he simply lacks guts to do anything significant.

Thats why i beilve we will see very similar roster next year, probably get bounced in first round again, and year after our salary situation will be way different , but at that point he will have excuse of doing nothing because of lack of salary.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,572

Post#260 » by Bensational » Sun May 12, 2024 8:16 am

How much further could we go if we added Donovan Mitchell to this team? It would come at a cost via trade, so that could eat into some depth or talent.

Paolo
Franz
Suggs
Mitchell

That’s a potent 4 right there.

On the table: WCJ, Isaac, Cole, 24 1st/25 1st, Den 25 1st, Pho 26 1st
Up for discussion: Black, Jett
Off the table: Paolo, Franz, Suggs, Moe (Franz tax)

I don’t think it would be a direct swap with Cleveland, maybe a 3-team deal who has the pieces Cleveland want.

Return to Orlando Magic