ImageImageImageImage

NBA Playoffs Thread (non-Magic games discussion)

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, SOUL, ChosenSavior

RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,933

Re: NBA Playoffs Thread (non-Magic games discussion) 

Post#1621 » by RookieStar » Mon May 13, 2024 2:20 am

Is that dude AG??? I couldve sworn that its Michael Jordan... sheeesh
ogmagicfan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,770

Post#1622 » by ogmagicfan » Mon May 13, 2024 2:33 am

RookieStar wrote:Is that dude AG??? I couldve sworn that its Michael Jordan... sheeesh

AG was always good for random unconscious performances from the field on the Magic even

Thats the whole reason the Magic didnt trade him when he had higher value and thought they had a "Paul George" in him :crazy:
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 38,109

Post#1623 » by SOUL » Mon May 13, 2024 2:36 am

AG was always better than what people gave him credit for, just hard to tell 20-22 year olds "you're destined to be an elite role player".
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#1624 » by RookieStar » Mon May 13, 2024 2:36 am

ogmagicfan wrote:
RookieStar wrote:Is that dude AG??? I couldve sworn that its Michael Jordan... sheeesh

AG was always good for random unconscious performances from the field on the Magic even

Thats the whole reason the Magic didnt trade him when he had higher value and thought they had a "Paul George" in him :crazy:

I know.. i remember those times. Thats why i didnt think Vogel needed a straightjacket when he said he will play AG like he played PG in IND.
ogmagicfan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,770

Post#1625 » by ogmagicfan » Mon May 13, 2024 2:39 am

KAT isnt that guy, and it really makes it hard on the Wolves. He isnt built to play thru physicality, esp playoff physicality

They have a clear #1 guy in Ant, but no clear #2. KAT shows up at times, but he really isnt smart enough consistenly for a series to depend on

Jaden McDaniels once again showing the problems I had with paying him a big contract, he's elite defensively, but offensively he's a 4th/5th option at best
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,953

Post#1626 » by basketballRob » Mon May 13, 2024 3:05 am

AG got a 4-yr $80m contract from us and a 4-yr $88m contract from Denver. That's the kind of deal that we need to give Suggs. I think he can be the same tier player.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#1627 » by RookieStar » Mon May 13, 2024 3:11 am

basketballRob wrote:AG got a 4-yr $80m contract from us and a 4-yr $88m contract from Denver. That's the kind of deal that we need to give Suggs. I think he can be the same tier player.

Try offering AG a 4yr 88m contract NOW and see his agent laughing his heart out.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,953

Post#1628 » by basketballRob » Mon May 13, 2024 3:19 am

RookieStar wrote:
basketballRob wrote:AG got a 4-yr $80m contract from us and a 4-yr $88m contract from Denver. That's the kind of deal that we need to give Suggs. I think he can be the same tier player.

Try offering AG a 4yr 88m contract NOW and see his agent laughing his heart out.
After a championship, he's going to want to get paid.

eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,585

Post#1629 » by eyriq » Mon May 13, 2024 3:35 am

Ant is 22
KAT is 28
Gobert is 31

They'll never all align at the peak of their powers. It's a suboptimal build. They'll contend because Ant is a superstar, but they'll always be leaving something on the table because their core's prime windows don't overlap.

This is why adding talent through trades and free agency for talents sake isn't always the right strategy. If possible, it's better to develop your core and align the windows when your core players will be in their primes, to maximize the build.

It's a luxury but if you can take it, take it.

Edit: another approach though is being a big market and building your core through free agency and trades. The John Gabriel approach, aka the skybox approach.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,406

Post#1630 » by pepe1991 » Mon May 13, 2024 5:13 am

Gordon was awesome tonight, but it was statemant game by Jokic.

Knicks game, they show starting lineup, i see Precious Achiuwa in it and jump on " this will get ugly fast for Knicks" conclusion. Before i went to toiled and back, Knicks were already down by 15.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#1631 » by pepe1991 » Mon May 13, 2024 5:18 am

SOUL wrote:AG was always better than what people gave him credit for, just hard to tell 20-22 year olds "you're destined to be an elite role player".

It's just expetations that change. When he is on Nuggets he is 4th best player, and has expetations of 4th best player. If he is great -great, if he has stinker, hardly anybody will be too mad.

On Magic it was whole different story, he was highest drafted player ( aside of Oladipo) and people and franchise needed star.

In that one year ( 3rd year) he shot 27% inside 3 feet for us, and you look his shot chart on Nuggets, guy shoots 55% of all shots inside 3 feet. And his 3 FGA went from as high as 5 for us to now benig sub 2 a game ( albet,he is punishing teams for leaving him wide open in past 2 years, but defenses do it as design, better him than MPjr , KCP or Murray ).
Ducklett
Head Coach
And1: 5,071

Post#1632 » by Ducklett » Mon May 13, 2024 5:54 am

pepe1991 wrote:
SOUL wrote:AG was always better than what people gave him credit for, just hard to tell 20-22 year olds "you're destined to be an elite role player".

It's just expetations that change. When he is on Nuggets he is 4th best player, and has expetations of 4th best player. If he is great -great, if he has stinker, hardly anybody will be too mad.

On Magic it was whole different story, he was highest drafted player ( aside of Oladipo) and people and franchise needed star.

In that one year ( 3rd year) he shot 27% inside 3 feet for us, and you look his shot chart on Nuggets, guy shoots 55% of all shots inside 3 feet. And his 3 FGA went from as high as 5 for us to now benig sub 2 a game ( albet,he is punishing teams for leaving him wide open in past 2 years, but defenses do it as design, better him than MPjr , KCP or Murray ).

I think he is better than MPJ but you aren't wrong.
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#1633 » by pepe1991 » Mon May 13, 2024 6:31 am

Ducklett wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:

I think he is better than MPJ but you aren't wrong.

I think it's a toss, AG is waaaaaaaay better defender, and probably better overall, but once MPjr starts cooking ,he can win you series on his own, his Lakers series was crazy, he averaged 23 points on 14 shots on 50% for 3 and 8 rebounds.
byeganyo
Junior
And1: 133

Post#1634 » by byeganyo » Mon May 13, 2024 7:47 am

eyriq wrote:Ant is 22
KAT is 28
Gobert is 31

They'll never all align at the peak of their powers. It's a suboptimal build. They'll contend because Ant is a superstar, but they'll always be leaving something on the table because their core's prime windows don't overlap.

This is why adding talent through trades and free agency for talents sake isn't always the right strategy. If possible, it's better to develop your core and align the windows when your core players will be in their primes, to maximize the build.

Edit: another approach though is being a big market and building your core through free agency and trades. The John Gabriel approach, aka the skybox approach.

Ant is entering his prime already, this is his 4th season. And they are contending now, going toe to toe with the best team in the world after 20 years of insignificance. It's amazing that what you deduct is that they are doing something wrong. Maybe you go and tell Riley that adding an old Shaq to Wade was wrong. Or adding 30y old Jrue to the core of 25y old Giannis was mistake.
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#1635 » by pepe1991 » Mon May 13, 2024 10:14 am

byeganyo wrote:
KAT is 28
Gobert is 31

Ant is entering his prime already, this is his 4th season. And they are contending now, going toe to toe with the best team in the world after 20 years of insignificance. It's amazing that what you deduct is that they are doing something wrong. Maybe you go and tell Riley that adding an old Shaq to Wade was wrong. Or adding 30y old Jrue to the core of 25y old Giannis was mistake.

They also already had KAT on roster, so holding roster back did make no sense.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,831

Post#1636 » by Skybox » Mon May 13, 2024 10:46 am

ogmagicfan wrote:KAT isnt that guy, and it really makes it hard on the Wolves. He isnt built to play thru physicality, esp playoff physicality

They have a clear #1 guy in Ant, but no clear #2. KAT shows up at times, but he really isnt smart enough consistenly for a series to depend on

Jaden McDaniels once again showing the problems I had with paying him a big contract, he's elite defensively, but offensively he's a 4th/5th option at best

Cautionary tale about rookie extensions
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#1637 » by pepe1991 » Mon May 13, 2024 11:02 am

Skybox wrote:
ogmagicfan wrote:KAT isnt that guy, and it really makes it hard on the Wolves. He isnt built to play thru physicality, esp playoff physicality

It's impossible to tell guy who averages 26-12-4 -1-1 , on 62% TS, with conversation about him one of best big man shooters of all time "nah, you ain't that guy".

McDaniels is typical role player who gets crazy money out of apsolute inability of team to find his replacment due contract strcuture of rest of roster ( Tobby Harris problem).
Orlando will probably have similar issue with Suggs being payed crazy money for being role player but again, it's very hard to avoid that.

I've talked about that in past, nowdays organic rebuilds are structured in fashion where they lead you to abyss sooner or later due contracts.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,831

Post#1638 » by Skybox » Mon May 13, 2024 11:43 am

pepe1991 wrote:
Skybox wrote:

It's impossible to tell guy who averages 26-12-4 -1-1 , on 62% TS, with conversation about him one of best big man shooters of all time "nah, you ain't that guy".

McDaniels is typical role player who gets crazy money out of apsolute inability of team to find his replacment due contract strcuture of rest of roster ( Tobby Harris problem).
Orlando will probably have similar issue with Suggs being payed crazy money for being role player but again, it's very hard to avoid that.

I've talked about that in past, nowdays organic rebuilds are structured in fashion where they lead you to abyss sooner or later due contracts.

You really can’t expect it…but a good GM might make a very good long-term decision by moving a “core” home-grown guy because getting shelled by multiple BIG rookie extensions in a short period can essentially slam the brakes on building a contender. I’m not suggesting anyone in particular, but sometimes the good is the enemy of the best and a visionary GM is looking a little farther down the road than fans…sometimes, you may have to “lose” a transaction to get your house in order for bigger wins.

While we’re talking about our big 3 all getting max or near max because “they deserve it”…keep in mind that a healthy Isaac will be up soon and a healthy, productive WCJ (or his agent) may not be looking to be known for his team-friendly deal again. MIN went all-in and it looked like a failure last year…if Ant doesn’t become an MVP contender at 22- people are getting fired over there. I’m not going to say Franz or Suggs gets moved, but maybe Franz insists on a max and then gets moved for two high-level prospects - to sort of reset the financial time bomb and build a better balanced roster.

Lots of individual situations that must be considered in context…fun intellectually- until your team breaks up.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,857

Post#1639 » by Knightro » Mon May 13, 2024 11:52 am

He got 4/80 from the Magic when the cap was just 101.8M.

That’s equivalent to a deal starting at 27.6M on today’s cap.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,585

Post#1640 » by eyriq » Mon May 13, 2024 11:58 am

byeganyo wrote:
KAT is 28
Gobert is 31

When Ant is in his prime years (25+), KAT will be 31 and Gobert 34. KAT isn't good enough now, how's he going to play at 31? Maybe Minny becomes Miami and allows them to re-tool around Ant on the fly?

Edit: another way of thinking about this is considering if we'd rather have Paolo and 4 other lotto talents on their rookie scale contracts or Paolo and a 27 year old all-star and a 30 year old defensive player of the year? Put the All-Star and DPOY wherever you want.

Return to Orlando Magic