ImageImageImageImage

D'Angelo Russell Anyone?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, SOUL, ChosenSavior

Kent
Veteran
And1: 1,186

Re: D'Angelo Russell Anyone? 

Post#21 » by Kent » Mon May 13, 2024 6:48 pm

No. Just no.

He's not a smart basketball player.
Ryan Anderson = Pat Garrity 10.0
-LBPTarHeel27
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,585

Post#22 » by eyriq » Mon May 13, 2024 6:50 pm

Last Guardian wrote:Anthony Black is being given a chance next season. The only G we need to acquire is a bench scorer.

Black/Cole
Suggs/????
I love this line of thought. #FreeAB
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,542

Post#23 » by jezzerinho » Mon May 13, 2024 8:03 pm

On court he could help a lot. Off court I think hed be absolutely anathema to the Magic culture. He's a "me" guy, not a "we" guy.

Not a fit and i doubt he'd come here.
anothermagicfan
Junior
And1: 234

Post#24 » by anothermagicfan » Mon May 13, 2024 9:33 pm

I don't know how I feel about Russell. I guess he'd be worth a shot. He is a talented scorer and somewhat of a distributor in the position we probably need the biggest upgrade at. I've kinda always felt like he was a stat guy, but he does get 1 stat we could definitely use more of-points. He would almost instantly make life easier for PB, Franz and Suggs and he shoots the 3 at a decent percentage. With Sugg out there he'd always get matched against the lesser offensive guard as well.

To me if it came down to Suggs/Harris vs Russell/Suggs or Fultz/Suggs vs Russell/Suggs I'm taking Russell/Suggs in every situation.

Do I think he's the missing piece to turn us into championship contenders? Probably not but I do think he has far more potential to get us closer than the guards we've had and I prefer Suggs as the 2 guard.

I guess the debate really starts with Russell or Monk or PG or whoever else but there should be an upgrade on this roster to help move the team construct towards a championship roster.

As for Russell the player and the person I would like to think that the team first us/we culture that mosley has built would be the ideal landing spot for a player like Russell. I'm not exactly sure how it went down but when Kobe retired and the Lakers were dreadful they got Julius Randle in the draft and he missed almost the entire first season and then Russell was drafted pretty high by the Lakers right? And Russell played what 2 seasons with the Lakers before getting traded. So he was basically the guy brought in to fill Kobes shoes and didn't live up to expectations in his first 2 seasons? I could see why there could be a little bit of a chip on his shoulder to get his points and prove himself. I could be way off on this too lol.

Thing is that he could be a considerably better financial option and upgrade that could give the magic better allowance to match contracts for a future disgruntled star that demands a trade. That could be an important factor into who is brought in during this upcoming free agency period.

1 other key point. The magic winning a championship is ultimately the goal. However if we could win that first title with a player originally drafted really high by the Lakers that would make just a little extra sweet. Kinda like the cherry on top lol
meatwad4343
Rookie
And1: 290

Post#25 » by meatwad4343 » Tue May 14, 2024 7:41 am

You'd have to over pay him to get him to sign here and he's not a winning basketball player and disappears in the playoffs
Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,537

Post#26 » by Furinkazan » Tue May 14, 2024 10:34 am

oh yeah?
so I will respond with common random 2017 post from this board

Malik Monk has t rex arms tho.
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 4,015

Post#27 » by Last Guardian » Tue May 14, 2024 2:50 pm

Knightro wrote:
Last Guardian wrote:Anthony Black is being given a chance next season. The only G we need to acquire is a bench scorer.

Black/Cole
Suggs/????

If this happens, and I'm not at all saying it isn't a realistic outcome because I think it could happen, I'll throw down significant dollars that the Magic have a worse record and lower seed than this year.

I'll take that bet. Not sure what your reasoning is here. Franz/Paolo/Suggs will all be better...even if it is marginally, they'll be better. Black is no worse than Harris offensively and is around the same level defensively, but bigger. I'd give Harris the edge defensively but it is not that much of a gap. And now this team has playoff experience. Nothing points to the team getting worse. And if they find a reliable bench scorer? Definitely not getting worse. Of course, the terms have to include no major injuries to key players.
purpleswordfish
Rookie
And1: 549

Post#28 » by purpleswordfish » Tue May 14, 2024 8:07 pm

I know people are quick to pick on D'Angelo Russell's defense and there is some basis to it. At times in his career, he's been a poor defender. However, there were times in MIN where he showed he could play effective defense when surrounded with the right players. This video really changed the way I looked at Russell as a defender. Honestly, with players like Russell it comes down to the scheme and effective coaching. He was getting that in MIN. He could get it here potentially.

Viper1500
Head Coach
And1: 2,715

Post#29 » by Viper1500 » Tue May 14, 2024 8:34 pm

Weltman saying he won't sign anyone with the risk of losing our DNA makes signing D-Lo very very slim.
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,542

Post#30 » by jezzerinho » Tue May 14, 2024 8:37 pm

Viper1500 wrote:Weltman saying he won't sign anyone with the risk of losing our DNA makes signing D-Lo very very slim.

I mean, he talks about himself in the third person.

Is there a redder flag than that!!???!!!
OrlandoDream
General Manager
And1: 5,945

Post#31 » by OrlandoDream » Sat May 18, 2024 2:27 pm

He would be locker room cancer. Hard pass.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,831

Post#32 » by Skybox » Sat May 18, 2024 6:23 pm

Lots of smoke around him his whole career. Definitely not my first or third or fourth choice...but, if the alternative is to "run it back", I'm absolutely down for Russell.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,284

Post#33 » by MagicMatic » Tue May 21, 2024 6:31 pm

Well I guess I'll bump this thread since there is actual smoke about Russell coming from some outlets like The Athletic.

It was kind of expected considering his skillset, contract, and the timing of everything. Still... Not a huge fan of the guy as a player.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,831

Post#34 » by Skybox » Tue May 21, 2024 6:38 pm

MagicMatic wrote:Well I guess I'll bump this thread since there is actual smoke about Russell coming from some outlets like The Athletic.

It was kind of expected considering his skillset, contract, and the timing of everything. Still... Not a huge fan of the guy as a player.

Great fit on paper. Really good fit on hardwood too...fit in locker room is dicey (historically at least-hate to profile, but...)
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,663

Post#35 » by Skin » Tue May 21, 2024 8:09 pm

The interest in him might be real. It's in today's WireTap.
MagicTownBaller
Veteran
And1: 416

Post#36 » by MagicTownBaller » Tue May 21, 2024 8:18 pm

At least DLo can shoot.
Not changing this Sig until the Orlando Magic win a championship (Technically Started 1-30-08)
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 599

Post#37 » by MasterGMer » Tue May 21, 2024 8:18 pm

DAngelo Russell is very intriguing. Good shooter and has considerable playmaking skills. Could replace Fultz well
Skin
RealGM

Post#38 » by Skin » Tue May 21, 2024 8:23 pm

I'd like to see a S&T where we ship out Wendell. Create an open cap space for one and two, open up a roster spot for an upgrade.
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,138

Post#39 » by Residual-Heat » Tue May 21, 2024 8:25 pm

Better than nothing.

No need to do a sign and trade when we can just sign him, but if they want the Lakers can maybe have Cole Anthony, not WCJ.
Skin
RealGM

Post#40 » by Skin » Tue May 21, 2024 8:31 pm

Residual-Heat wrote:Better than nothing.

No need to do a sign and trade when we can just sign him, but if they want the Lakers can maybe have Cole Anthony, not WCJ.

True, we could use Wendell in a better trade.

Return to Orlando Magic