ImageImageImageImage

Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 5.0

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,958

Re: Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 5.0 

Post#661 » by basketballRob » Thu May 16, 2024 7:12 pm

Skybox wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:I dont buy the rumor that Mitchell is suddenly more willing to extend with the Cavs. I still think he, not Garland, gets traded.

Could be that he's more tradable once he's extended...maybe they have an understanding that benefits both.
I don't think Mitchell extends unless he can pick his team.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#662 » by basketballRob » Thu May 16, 2024 7:12 pm

Skybox wrote:
basketballRob wrote:https://open.spotify.com/episode/2INn3tqIt3EcldD5eqhelJ?si=aYYDkYV2Q9OMwffIZjg0CA

C'mon Rob...what's the spoiler? Don't make me listen to PRR just to hear the "deal" at the end
Just change the speed.

Ducklett
Head Coach
And1: 5,074

Post#663 » by Ducklett » Thu May 16, 2024 7:13 pm

Knightro wrote:Truth be told, Murray's defense went into the toilet once he went to Atlanta.

So he wouldn't even really fit the bill, although I guess you'd be banking on him taking things seriously on that end of the floor again if he went to a team that stressed defense.

He was bottom 10 in defensive metrics (along with Trae, Cade, and Ivey) when I was doing research on Cade vs Franz.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,904

Post#664 » by Skybox » Thu May 16, 2024 7:15 pm

basketballRob wrote:
Skybox wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:I dont buy the rumor that Mitchell is suddenly more willing to extend with the Cavs. I still think he, not Garland, gets traded.

Could be that he's more tradable once he's extended...maybe they have an understanding that benefits both.

I just have visions of the Cavs mobbing him after Game 7 saying "We did it" and "now he'll want to stay"

...and Mitchell thinking "WE did it? Mo'f#@ker, I carried your dead asses over the line by myself"

...and then, "ORL's pretty tough - they have any cap space?" :D
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,189

Post#665 » by tiderulz » Thu May 16, 2024 7:16 pm

Knightro wrote:Also just for the record, I wouldn't read too much into what Paolo said about what the front office is looking for.

The only thing he said that's worth keeping in mind is that he specifically does not want to play point guard.

yep. for all the people talking about Paolo being a point forward, he can handle the ball but doesnt want to have to be that every time down the court.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,189

Post#666 » by tiderulz » Thu May 16, 2024 7:17 pm

Knightro wrote:Truth be told, Murray's defense went into the toilet once he went to Atlanta.

So he wouldn't even really fit the bill, although I guess you'd be banking on him taking things seriously on that end of the floor again if he went to a team that stressed defense.

you would be frustrated playing next to the turnstile that is Trae Young
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,124

Post#667 » by yoyojw17 » Thu May 16, 2024 7:31 pm

Skybox wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
Skybox wrote:

I just have visions of the Cavs mobbing him after Game 7 saying "We did it" and "now he'll want to stay"

...and Mitchell thinking "WE did it? Mo'f#@ker, I carried your dead asses over the line by myself"

A young and untapped team. Shoot.... I would wonder what life would be like what Franz, Paolo, and Suggs peak.... And I replace.... "Gary Harris". Lol
Skybox
RealGM

Post#668 » by Skybox » Thu May 16, 2024 7:36 pm

yoyojw17 wrote:
Skybox wrote:
basketballRob wrote:I don't think Mitchell extends unless he can pick his team.

A young and untapped team. Shoot.... I would wonder what life would be like what Franz, Paolo, and Suggs peak.... And I replace.... "Gary Harris". Lol

and Suggs will never guard me again.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,666

Post#669 » by Skin » Thu May 16, 2024 7:41 pm

Knightro wrote:Also just for the record, I wouldn't read too much into what Paolo said about what the front office is looking for.

The only thing he said that's worth keeping in mind is that he specifically does not want to play point guard.

Nah, what I got was that he doesn't want a scoring PG who will take shots away. He wants to be the source of scoring along with Franz and Suggs.

All signs point to Tyus which I'd be so happy about.

The defense that he's talking about needing, should be through the acquisition of a defensive big man.

Claxton in FA... Ware/Edey in the draft...
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,991

Post#670 » by Nyce_1 » Thu May 16, 2024 7:42 pm

Skybox wrote:
basketballRob wrote:https://open.spotify.com/episode/2INn3tqIt3EcldD5eqhelJ?si=aYYDkYV2Q9OMwffIZjg0CA

C'mon Rob...what's the spoiler? Don't make me listen to PRR just to hear the "deal" at the end
Dell, AB, Orl '25 1st for Simons
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,205

Post#671 » by zaymon » Thu May 16, 2024 8:00 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
Nyce_1 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?t=3TsHXoI4aGWQ5dXvvRhgeg&s=19

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2024/05/16/paolo-banchero-young-nba-stars/

Gotta narrow options to 2-way point guards.

Wow it’s like Paolo has read all my posts for the last 3 months.

Literally uses the words : “reliable guy that sets the table”.

Thats another voice in a debate "we need a scoring guard vs we need a point guard".

Guys who doesnt meet any of the points: Anfernee Simons, Malik Monk.
Guys who meet some of the points: Trae Young, Tyus Jones, Dejounte Murray, Devin Booker
Guys who meet most of the points : Malcolm Brogdon (better passer than Murray)?
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
Black and Blue
Sixth Man
And1: 1,462

Post#672 » by Black and Blue » Thu May 16, 2024 8:05 pm

Skybox wrote:
Knightro wrote:
Nyce_1 wrote:
Read on Twitter

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2024/05/16/paolo-banchero-young-nba-stars/

There's none of those available outside of Murray basically.

Trae is bad defensively. Tyus is bad defensively. Monk is bad defensively and might not be a pure PG. Simons is bad defensively and isn't really a PG. Russell is bad defensively.

1) Murray...as it always should be

2) could make an argument for Brogdon, who, if he was 5 years younger, might be #1

Looking at the smoke starting to billow, I’m starting to really get the feeling that Atlanta would rather keep Murray and jettison Trae at this point. -and I don’t blame them one bit.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,609

Post#673 » by eyriq » Thu May 16, 2024 8:45 pm

Nyce_1 wrote:
Skybox wrote:

Gross
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#674 » by basketballRob » Thu May 16, 2024 8:52 pm

eyriq wrote:
Nyce_1 wrote:
Skybox wrote:
Gross
I think Phillip talked them into getting Robert Williams as part of the package.

eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,609

Post#675 » by eyriq » Thu May 16, 2024 8:55 pm

basketballRob wrote:
eyriq wrote:
Nyce_1 wrote:Dell, AB, Orl '25 1st for Simons
Gross
I think Phillip talked them into getting Robert Williams as part of the package.

Still hate it
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,942

Post#676 » by RookieStar » Thu May 16, 2024 9:01 pm

Knightro wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
Skin wrote:Not to mention the whole sex with an underaged girl thing. Magic won't touch him with a 10 ft pole.

I thought that was settled already? Are you guys telling me that all 18yr old guys have to break up with their younger girlfriend because that is considered underage?

If the news i read is correct, giddey 19 girl 16... 3 yrs gap. Unless the news is false?

This is a slippery slope that I don’t think you should want to try and navigate.

I won't. Im just saying its a nothingburger and should not be a factor unlike say the issue with draftin Shannon
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,259

Post#677 » by cedric76 » Thu May 16, 2024 9:15 pm

Black and Blue wrote:
Skybox wrote:
Knightro wrote:
There's none of those available outside of Murray basically.

Trae is bad defensively. Tyus is bad defensively. Monk is bad defensively and might not be a pure PG. Simons is bad defensively and isn't really a PG. Russell is bad defensively.

1) Murray...as it always should be

2) could make an argument for Brogdon, who, if he was 5 years younger, might be #1

Looking at the smoke starting to billow, I’m starting to really get the feeling that Atlanta would rather keep Murray and jettison Trae at this point. -and I don’t blame them one bit.

Offensive hub and playmaking, if we can't get Murray, monk is Right there
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
Skybox
RealGM

Post#678 » by Skybox » Thu May 16, 2024 9:24 pm

zaymon wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:
Nyce_1 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Wow it’s like Paolo has read all my posts for the last 3 months.

Literally uses the words : “reliable guy that sets the table”.

Thats another voice in a debate "we need a scoring guard vs we need a point guard".

Guys who doesnt meet any of the points: Anfernee Simons, Malik Monk. both over 5 apg
Guys who meet some of the points: Trae Young, Tyus Jones, Dejounte Murray, Devin Booker Jones doesn’t score. Paolo may want all the shots but that’s a dead end. Trae DOES want all the shots. Booker would take Franz + Suggs IF PHX would even talk
Guys who meet most of the points : Malcolm Brogdon (better passer than Murray)?
Brogdon would be a great fit, but older- he’s a lot more like Monk, Simons, Murray than Trae or Tyus

Also…Paolo might be talking about what Paolo needs. ORL needs more than a more efficient painless way to get to 90 points…we need additional scoring as well as table setting.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,172

Post#679 » by Braggins » Thu May 16, 2024 9:42 pm

I think Malik Monk would be really good for this roster. I don't think he'll be quite as expensive as some people think.
CocoaFan
Sophomore
And1: 72

Post#680 » by CocoaFan » Thu May 16, 2024 10:40 pm

eyriq wrote:
Knightro wrote:Is there a way to get Darius Garland without giving up Franz or Suggs?

Maybe something like...

To Magic: Garland
To Cavs: Ingram
To Pelicans: Package of picks and young talent from Orlando - maybe Carter, Black, Howard and 2 first round picks?

Realistically though the Pelicans would probably just want Garland over a picks/young players package.
I think Garland has less value than Franz and Paolo, and more than Suggs. Ingram feels like fair value. I think a framework with Suggs and JI is our equivalent value to a clear top 50 player with upside.
I just keep coming back to Monk as the best value add for the Magic. Garland, Mitchell, Dejounte (and maybe even Simons) are all very good to great players but the assets we will have to give up just doesn't seem cost effective. Monk is the conservative move which seems to suit our management. I thought Gradey Dick was the obvious choice over Howard too and was wrong on that. Hard to predict what Weltman will do. Tyus Jones would be the really conservative pickup.

Return to Orlando Magic