ImageImageImageImage

Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 5.0

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, SOUL, ChosenSavior

ogmagicfan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,770

Re: Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 5.0 

Post#681 » by ogmagicfan » Thu May 16, 2024 10:44 pm

Nyce_1 wrote:
Skybox wrote:
basketballRob wrote:https://open.spotify.com/episode/2INn3tqIt3EcldD5eqhelJ?si=aYYDkYV2Q9OMwffIZjg0CA

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app

C'mon Rob...what's the spoiler? Don't make me listen to PRR just to hear the "deal" at the end
Dell, AB, Orl '25 1st for Simons

Crazy overpay

Why not just get Monk whose better without moving a handful of valuable assets
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 25,013

Post#682 » by Knightro » Thu May 16, 2024 10:53 pm

Even if you like Simons more than Monk, the gap is just not that large between the two, and I’d say it’s debatable there’s even a gap at all.

Giving up Carter, Black and a first when you have the cap space to just sign somebody of an equal caliber is crazy to me.
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 744

Post#683 » by RichCollab » Thu May 16, 2024 11:14 pm

Knightro wrote:Even if you like Simons more than Monk, the gap is just not that large between the two, and I’d say it’s debatable there’s even a gap at all.

Giving up Carter, Black and a first when you have the cap space to just sign somebody of an equal caliber is crazy to me.

Black is more likely to be an all-star than Simons.

That proposed trade on Locked on was railroaded by the Blazers podcast.
Fortune Teller
Sophomore
And1: 171

Post#684 » by Fortune Teller » Thu May 16, 2024 11:26 pm

Is there a different Anthony Black that people watched play this season?
The-Stallion70
Bench Warmer
And1: 462

Post#685 » by The-Stallion70 » Fri May 17, 2024 12:01 am

RichCollab wrote:
The-Stallion70 wrote:
MasterGMer wrote:Any talk about Donovan Mitchell? Orlando has the assets, but I doubt FO makes a move for him

Getting Mitchell would be like perfect like he would fit like a glove because I personally still think Paolo is best suited as a second option on offense. His ts% is way below league average.

Mitchell is so efficient and aggressive, getting him and pairing him with PB and Franz would make make us contenders.

100% he will only accept going to a big market team.

Well, ya know, that's just like your opinion, man
thelead wrote:I have a memory like an elephant.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,996

Post#686 » by Skybox » Fri May 17, 2024 12:09 am

Fortune Teller wrote:Is there a different Anthony Black that people watched play this season?

right? Some pretty absurd statements being made.

To skip up a couple to Knightro's post...Simons is clearly a better long-range shooter than Monk, but I completely agree with your take about their relative costs to obtain (although I would say that PRR got taken to the cleaners by the SAC pod guy on that "deal" :lol: ).

I would also say that, while in SAC, Monk has shown a ferocious competitive desire that I don't know whether Simons has. I'm just saying I haven't seen it and that it is possible to put up big numbers on a bad team without being a "winner". We've seen quite a few big plays and game-winning shots (including playmaking) from Monk in SAC. Just something to think about - we don't have room for softies on this ORL team. On the flip side, Monk was a pretty irrelevant lottery selection for years before finding his way...we have to hope this is who he really is and not just situational, contract-year success. I'd bet on Monk, but it's not a guaranteed hit.

While I agree that it's silly to pay so much (in assets) for the privilege of paying Simons $25m versus JUST paying Monk $22-$25m with no asset cost...I'd also say that sending out salary means we have that much more available salary for the next acquisition. I DON'T MEAN NEXT YEAR, I MEAN NEXT WEEK, WELTMAN! If we KNEW somehow that we had Claxton or other significant FA's ready to sign, then it could make sense to send out WCJ and/or Cole, etc in a trade. Having said that, the proposed deal of WCJ/AB & a frp is too much for Simons. POR should be happy to get picks and cap relief and maybe one of the young guys. I have high hopes for AB, even if it's a few years before we even know what he is. I certainly don't consider him untouchable, but he's no throw-in either. I'd value WCJ pretty close to Simons by himself as I recognize that Simons, despite awesome, gaudy offensive weapons, isn't a complete player...If he was, POR wouldn't be talking to us anyway.
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,179

Post#687 » by Residual-Heat » Fri May 17, 2024 12:38 am

I wouldnt give up AB straight up for Simons. Wouldnt even give up WCJ and a 1st. I hope he gets traded just so people see that his market is far lower than most believe, and now it seems like he wants out.

You ever wonder why you dont see Simons trade rumors for any other team? You wonder why posters on the trades board never post any other Simons trades than him going to the Magic? Very few winning teams will want to start Simons because he's an undersized SG and even less teams will want to bring him off the bench because he's making starter money.

Monk is a great option for us, and im glad more people are starting to see it.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,403

Post#688 » by MagicMatic » Fri May 17, 2024 12:43 am

Fortune Teller wrote:Is there a different Anthony Black that people watched play this season?

Yeah, the story is that he’s a 20 year old rookie buried behind scrubs and looked good when he played any decent amount of minutes.
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 6,001

Post#689 » by Nyce_1 » Fri May 17, 2024 12:56 am

Knightro wrote:Even if you like Simons more than Monk, the gap is just not that large between the two, and I’d say it’s debatable there’s even a gap at all.

I agree with this. If the cost is marginal, I prefer Simons' game. But I also side with whatever takes the least amount of assets.
The-Stallion70
Bench Warmer
And1: 462

Post#690 » by The-Stallion70 » Fri May 17, 2024 1:39 am

Yea, he just looked like a guard with size who was drafted too high. Still young so i suppose guys can get better but with such a weak jumpshot and handle I don't really see how he takes minutes from more ready guys, especially if the Magic make win now moves and bring in some more help for Paolo and Franz.
thelead wrote:I have a memory like an elephant.
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 744

Post#691 » by RichCollab » Fri May 17, 2024 2:06 am

The-Stallion70 wrote:
RichCollab wrote:
The-Stallion70 wrote:
Getting Mitchell would be like perfect like he would fit like a glove because I personally still think Paolo is best suited as a second option on offense. His ts% is way below league average.

Mitchell is so efficient and aggressive, getting him and pairing him with PB and Franz would make make us contenders.

100% he will only accept going to a big market team.

Well, ya know, that's just like your opinion, man

He has said it himself. He is playing out his contract.
ogmagicfan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,770

Post#692 » by ogmagicfan » Fri May 17, 2024 3:19 am

Residual-Heat wrote:I wouldnt give up AB straight up for Simons. Wouldnt even give up WCJ and a 1st. I hope he gets traded just so people see that his market is far lower than most believe, and now it seems like he wants out.

You ever wonder why you dont see Simons trade rumors for any other team? You wonder why posters on the trades board never post any other Simons trades than him going to the Magic? Very few winning teams will want to start Simons because he's an undersized SG and even less teams will want to bring him off the bench because he's making starter money.

Monk is a great option for us, and im glad more people are starting to see it.

This!

His value is not high at all, and just like you, I wouldnt trade him in either of those broken down trade options

He's a 6th man, and even with that the defensive weakness of his is a huge red flag
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,439

Post#693 » by pepe1991 » Fri May 17, 2024 6:40 am

Black is project.
In 45% of all games he played, he failed to record 3 points or more.

In 20/69 games he failed to record 2 or more assists. (alleged point guard, season best assists- five).
In 23/69 games he failed to record any rebound.

What are expetations here? Matisse Thybulle ? Tabo Sefalosha?

He has to do more. He has to be more assertive on offense. People are fooling themselfs with his 3%. He made 37 threes. If he missed 5 more his percentage would dip to 34% . I fully expect him to "fall" below 35% next year, because nothing about his shooting suggests him being good shooter today. Evidence? 64% FTs , 27% mid range.

Question will be- can you play more Black and have him doing more- and not sabotage winning.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
axl_c_cool
Analyst
And1: 861

Post#694 » by axl_c_cool » Fri May 17, 2024 8:33 am

pepe1991 wrote:Black is project.

In 20/69 games he failed to record 2 or more assists. (alleged point guard, season best assists- five).

He has to do more. He has to be more assertive on offense. People are fooling themselfs with his 3%. He made 37 threes. If he missed 5 more his percentage would dip to 34% . I fully expect him to "fall" below 35% next year, because nothing about his shooting suggests him being good shooter today. Evidence? 64% FTs , 27% mid range.

Question will be- can you play more Black and have him doing more- and not sabotage winning.

Should he have gone to the G League with Jett and maybe go next year? He needs to play, doesn’t seem to be minutes though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FORMALLY LC MAGIC
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 602

Post#695 » by MasterGMer » Fri May 17, 2024 9:02 am

It looks chaos in Cleveland right now. JB Bickerstaff is seriously being looked at by the Cleveland Front Office. He could lose his job

If Donovan Mitchell stays in Cleveland, there is report saying Darius Garland and his agent will work with the team to find a place for Garland.

Jerret Allen may be traded also. Do we get into this Cleveland mess and offer for Donovan Mitchell? Orlando is definitely on the short list

Also I think a more realistic option for the Magic is Trae Young. As long as we keep our young core of Suggs, Franz and Paolo. I am fine with any package we send out.

I wish the FO gets aggressive. But they won't. lol. BTW Giannis and his wife plus his kids are in Orlando today. Disney World baby!
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#696 » by pepe1991 » Fri May 17, 2024 9:45 am

axl_c_cool wrote:

Should he have gone to the G League with Jett and maybe go next year? He needs to play, doesn’t seem to be minutes though

I fail to see much benefits of stashing people from lottery to G league. Those picks are way more valuable as trade assets than stashed players.

Either play him in serious rotation or trade him.

Imo we should have never drafted anybody with Jett's pick , trading away pick, before selection, was very obvious decision to be made.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,968

Post#697 » by basketballRob » Fri May 17, 2024 10:45 am

Black played the same role as Harris. 20 times Harris didn't score over 3 points.

basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,968

Post#698 » by basketballRob » Fri May 17, 2024 10:47 am

pepe1991 wrote:
axl_c_cool wrote:

I fail to see much benefits of stashing people from lottery to G league. Those picks are way more valuable as trade assets than stashed players.

Imo we should have never drafted anybody with Jett's pick , trading away pick, before selection, was very obvious decision to be made.
The last part of the season when he was getting 3 minutes per game in garbage time hurt his stats. Overall, he was amazing. His shooting should improve a lot over the next couple of seasons.. He should end up a career 40% 3-pt shooter.

Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,996

Post#699 » by Skybox » Fri May 17, 2024 11:07 am

Safe but effective summer…

Draft Ware or Messi at #18
Trade up in second to grab falling Terrence Shannon as a swing

Sign Monk 4 for 90 descending, start at 25 (or most front-loaded allowed)
Sign Gordon Hayward for $10m per 1+1TO (or keep Ingles if he looks fit & capable)…same attributes for young team
Sign Kris Dunn to vet deal (1 + TO)

WCJ, M. Wagner, Ware
Paolo, Isaac
Franz, Hayward, Houstan
Suggs, Cole, Jett, Shannon
Monk, AB, Dunn

That’s a better, younger team unless the young’uns just don’t show up. I’d be looking for potential deals for Cole and, possibly WCJ…ideally for Jarrett Allen or SnT for Claxton (we’d add frps for Allen- unlikely but ideal)
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#700 » by pepe1991 » Fri May 17, 2024 11:08 am

basketballRob wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
axl_c_cool wrote:Should he have gone to the G League with Jett and maybe go next year? He needs to play, doesn’t seem to be minutes though

The last part of the season when he was getting 3 minutes per game in garbage time hurt his stats. Overall, he was amazing. His shooting should improve a lot over the next couple of seasons.. He should end up a career 40% 3-pt shooter.

Okey, whatever helps you sleep at night, he averaged 13 mpg in March for 3 points a game.

In January & December, over 29 games, he scored in double figures - 5 times, while averaging around 20 mpg.

"He was amazing" . By what standards? By Thabo Sefalosha standards, sure.

Victor, Holmgren = that's standard for amazing rookie. Not ultra low usage bench role player.

Return to Orlando Magic