ImageImageImageImage

Free Agency.

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, SOUL, ChosenSavior

Truth24
Starter
And1: 443

Free Agency. 

Post#1 » by Truth24 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:36 am

I know that with the lock out fixing to happen that we don't have much to look forward to. I thought we could take a look into free agency and see what we really can do. This is my first topic on realgm so I'm hoping this isn't to bad. :lol:

Alright what I am going to do is list out the top ten at every position and see what guys we could actually add to our roster. I know we don't have much money to work with but there are a lot of role players in free agency this year. If we add the right role players to our team we could see a drastic improvement atleast imo.

Point: Jameer Nelson//Gilbert Arenas//Chris Duhon
Shoot: J.J. Redick//DeAndre Liggins
Small: Hedo Turkoglu//Quentin Richardson//Justin Harper
Power: Brandon Bass//Ryan Anderson
Center: Dwight Howard//Daniel Orton

We are sitting at twelve players right now. We all know that we could upgrade the two spot, three spot, four spot, and depth behind Dwight. So lets take a look at all of the top ten and actually see what we really can do to improve this team. I know everyone wants to make a huge trade and bring in a big time player but this is what we can do in free agency.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=FreeAgents-11-12

Top Ten PG

1. J.J. Barea, Dallas
2. Mario Chalmers, Miami
3. Rodney Stuckey, Detroit (Restricted)
4. T.J. Ford, Indiana
5. Delonte West, Boston
6. Earl Boykins, Milwaukee
7. Sebastian Telfair, Minnesota
8. Aaron Brooks, Phoenix (Restricted)
9. Patrick Mills, Portland (Restricted)
10. Earl Watson, Utah

Top Ten SG

1. Arron Afflalo, Denver (Restricted)
2. Jason Richardson, Orlando
3. Jamal Crawford, Atlanta
4. J.R. Smith, Denver
5. Chris Douglas-Roberts, Milwaukee
6. Marco Belinelli, New Orleans
7. Daequan Cooks, Oklahoma City
8. Nick Young, Washington (Restricted)
9. Marcus Thornton, Sacramento
10. Michael Redd, Milwaukee

Top Ten SF

1. Caron Butler, Dallas
2. Wilson Chandler, Denver (Restricted)
3. Tayshaun Prince, Detroit
4. Tracy McGrady, Detroit
5. Shane Battier, Memphis
6. Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, Milwaukee (Restricted)
7. Thaddeus Young, Philadelphia (Restricted)
8. Andrei Kirilenko, Utah
9. C.J. Miles, Utah (Team Option)
10. Grant Hill, Phoenix

Top Ten PF

1. David West, New Orleans
2. Jeff Green, Boston (PF/SF)
3. Carl Landry, New Orleans
4. Kris Humphries, New Jersey
5. Jonas Jerebko, Detroit
6. Josh McRoberts, Indiana
7. Yi Jianlian, Washington
8. Brandan Wright, New Jersey
9. Kenyon Martin, Denver
10. Glen Davis, Boston // Josh Powell, Atlanta

Top Ten C

1. Greg Oden, Portland (Restricted)
2. Tyson Chandler, Dallas
3. Samuel Dalembert, Sacramento
4. Yao Ming, Houston
5. Kyrylo Fesenko, Utah
6. Spencer Hawes, Philadelphia (Restricted)
7. Chuck Hayes, Houston
8. Aaron Gray, New Orleans
9. Joel Przybilla, Charlotte
10. Alexis Ajinca, Toronto // Nazr Mohammed, Ohlahoma City

Okay now these atleast imo my top ten currently in free agency. While there really aren't any big time names there are a lot of role players. I'm not really sure what is going to happen with free agency after the new cba is agreed upon. I thought we could look at all of the pending free agents that we could have a shot at and have discussions on them.

Personally my favorites are CDR, Kyrylo Fesenko, Caron Butler, Jonas Jerebko, and Josh McRoberts. While these are my favorites I believe each player would add a lot to our current team. CDR gives us a slasher who defends and can take his opponet off the dribble. Kyrylo isn't a very skilled guy but he is a huge body and knows how to play with that body. Caron Butler is a defensive player who can give us a that defensive stopper on the wing. Jonas Jerebko is a tweener but he attacks the rim, has a nice shot, and post hook move. Josh McRoberts attacks the rim, can handle the rock, is a decent three point shooter, and rebounds.

This is how I would like to see the team.

PG: Jameer Nelson//Gilber Arenas//Chris Duhon
SG: Chris Douglas-Roberts//J.J. Redick//DeAndre Liggins
SF: Hedo Turkoglu//Justin Harper//Quentin Richardson
PF: Ryan Anderson//Brandon Bass
C: Dwight Howard//Kyrylo Fesenko//Daniel Orton

I know this is 14 players and I would like us to get rid of Hedo, Duhon, and Richardson. This is just what our roster could look at with free agency nothing pretty but adding solid role players.
Nolimit1211
Assistant Coach
And1: 17

Re: Free Agency. 

Post#2 » by Nolimit1211 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:54 am

Either Jameer is 6th man, or trade him.

Jameer in starting lineup is a big no-no.
Vince Carter vs. Brandon Roy: A healthy guy who likes to pretend he's injured against an injured guy pretending to be healthy. - John Hollinger
SolidSnake008
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#3 » by SolidSnake008 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:03 am

Nolimit1211 wrote:Either Jameer is 6th man, or trade him.

Jameer in starting lineup is a big no-no.

Can't tell you how much i agree...can't wait to see Jameer shipped off...Just kidding but at this point i'm all strapped in for Gil Starting
christian72589
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#4 » by christian72589 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:09 pm

The only reason I agree with gil starting is because the man is on a ridiculous contract.let's be honest, arenas has done nothing to deserve a starting role besides complaining about svg and his rotations. I would be beyond angry if I were jameer
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,178

Post#5 » by tiderulz » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:40 pm

with 3 PG's on the current roster, no point in listing any PG's as a possible free agent. No point in listing top centers too, as we would only be looking for a backup (as of right now) and not a starting quality one unless they could also play PF.

as for money, we have what, the MLE, assuming that it still exists after they hammer out another CBA. Otherwise it could be just vet minimums.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,178

Post#6 » by tiderulz » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:43 pm

christian72589 wrote:The only reason I agree with gil starting is because the man is on a ridiculous contract.let's be honest, arenas has done nothing to deserve a starting role besides complaining about svg and his rotations. I would be beyond angry if I were jameer

i'm angry that Jameer is still the starting PG. I like him as a person, his attitude for the most part, his leadership. But it is obvious that this team will not win anything with him as the starter. He has basically been the starter for 5 or 6 years, and the team has put up more wins than losses, but when the crunch time comes, they havent come thru. He isnt the only reason, but he is part of it. He cant stop opposing PG's, and his style of play is not conducive to making other players on his team better, IMO
troybiles
Sophomore

Post#7 » by troybiles » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:08 pm

As far as the free agent list, I don't see too many choices that would come here. We would only have a couple options and then everyone else is a vet min.

Even though we are loaded at PF, I would like David West to come because I think that would help CP3 to come next year. Who knows, maybe Gil does so well that we don't need CP3. It still doesn't solve our wing problem or our back up center.

I don't think there are many options on back up Center, so I really don't care who it is as long as they play some defense. Personally, I think we should have Yao sign a vet min here. He can last a whole season if he only has to play limited minutes and we can play both on the floor at times giving us a twin tower look at some points in the game when we need size, lol. Do I think that is probable? No, but that would be awesome to me. Just as long as he doesn't go sign in Miami.

The SF position would be a nice pickup with almost any name on the top ten list. Almost all of them are decent to good defenders. My top people are Butler, Chandler, McGrady, and Battier.

The SG position is not as big as a problem to me as the SF and C positions. We just need someone who can drive the ball to the basket and defend. CDR would be a nice pickup for this role.

I think that we can sign a backup C for the vet min. SF is where we should put our money in because I'm sure we can still find available shooting guards for cheap that will drive to the basket. I would be fine with JJ/Q/Liggins rotation, so I don't see us needing it that much. The only person I would want other than a SF is West. If we have a MLE then we can use that on a SF and try to do a S&T for West. Also, we need to resign Clark. If we know we can get CP3, then that is the only way I would amnesty Gil. I don't mind keeping Jameer as long as he is ok with 6th man duty. I would like to use Bass in a trade with NO for West. They can use Bass as a good back up for Landry.
MrOrlando
Starter
And1: 88

Post#8 » by MrOrlando » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:15 pm

Put me down for one Grant Hill and a side of Kenyon Martin please, no point guards though, I'm full of those already. Also if you're out of K-Mart, can I trade this Turkoglu And Nelson for a glass of J-Smoove? Thanks a lot.
JarethCutestory
Senior
And1: 34

Post#9 » by JarethCutestory » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:24 pm

Holy balls fix your top 10's first. :wink:

Glen Davis, Thornton, Hayes, McBob, Miles, Mbah a Moute, and AK47 should all be targets of ours.

Surprisingly, you have them listed below guys I wouldn't want on this team/throw the vet min at.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,769

Post#10 » by Cammo101 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:41 pm

Tayshaun Prince is the guy to get IMO. Good shooter, excellent wing defender, does not need to dominate the ball to be effective.
Magic12ball
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#11 » by Magic12ball » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:48 pm

Prince (MLE split), McGrady (Vet) and Fesenko (MLE split).

- Wing defender (still above average).
- Creator/play-maker (still capable of good court vision, ball handling, jumpshot is still there, can get to the foul line).
- BIG body inside/reserve C, young legit 7-footer.

What do they all have in common? They all have the height we need AND can be had for CHEAP. We save money and have the players we need. We dont lose ANY of our guys except (JRich and Malik) and it doesn't hurt us in the long run either.

DEPTH CHART

Arenas/Nelson/Duhon
McGrady/Redick/Liggins
Prince/Turkoglu/Harper
Anderson/Bass/Clark
Howard/Fesenko
SolidSnake008
Banned User

Post#12 » by SolidSnake008 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:50 pm

Cammo101 wrote:Tayshaun Prince is the guy to get IMO. Good shooter, excellent wing defender, does not need to dominate the ball to be effective.

What's up with people wanting these over the hill guys? He is still decent but make no mistake he is a shell of himself
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#13 » by Nemesis21 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:55 pm

SolidSnake008 wrote:
Cammo101 wrote:Tayshaun Prince is the guy to get IMO. Good shooter, excellent wing defender, does not need to dominate the ball to be effective.

What's up with people wanting these over the hill guys? He is still decent but make no mistake he is a shell of himself

Would you take him over Q ? Over Hedo ? Prince is 31 and entering is 9th or 10th season, he still has some left in the tank. I'm with Cammo on this.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#14 » by Cammo101 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:11 pm

SolidSnake008 wrote:

Prince is only 31. He is far from washed up. You show me the stud 25 year old willing to take the MLE to play here and I will take him. Realistically, Prince is the best we can hope for from free agency.
SolidSnake008
Banned User

Post#15 » by SolidSnake008 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:26 pm

Prince to me isn't an upgrade he is more of a Diagonal step...you get marginally better..Not a lock down defender anymore and that was his best quality...he's slightly above average defender at this point but he can still shoot the ball....He is a good Glue guy but not a second option...Not sure if Stan would Start him or Hedo is he was still on the roster
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#16 » by Cammo101 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:28 pm

SolidSnake008 wrote:Prince to me isn't an upgrade he is more of a Diagonal step...you get marginally better..Not a lock down defender anymore and that was his best quality...he's slightly above average defender at this point but he can still shoot the ball....He is a good Glue guy but not a second option...Not sure if Stan would Start him or Hedo is he was still on the roster

The Magic are not going to find a second option to Dwight in free agency. They are going to have to do that through trade. They can use the MLE on a guy like Prince though, who is exactly the kind of player we need.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#17 » by Nemesis21 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:32 pm

Cammo101 wrote:
SolidSnake008 wrote:Prince to me isn't an upgrade he is more of a Diagonal step...you get marginally better..Not a lock down defender anymore and that was his best quality...he's slightly above average defender at this point but he can still shoot the ball....He is a good Glue guy but not a second option...Not sure if Stan would Start him or Hedo is he was still on the roster

The Magic are not going to find a second option to Dwight in free agency. They are going to have to do that through trade. They can use the MLE on a guy like Prince though, who is exactly the kind of player we need.

Exactly, we don't need for Prince to be our 2nd option. I would love to add Prince and J Smith this off season.
SolidSnake008
Banned User

Post#18 » by SolidSnake008 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:43 pm

Cammo101 wrote:

I'm not so sure that Otis would use the whole MLE on Prince....If we're going to get a guy like Prince i rather get CJ miles....A LOT younger and can do some of the same things prince can...I can respect your opinion though
PKP161
Ballboy

Post#19 » by PKP161 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:56 pm

What about some undrafted rookies? I think a guy like Matt Howard from Butler could be a nice fit for very cheap. He could be a high-energy guy off the bench and would assuredly be a fan favorite with his hustle and work ethic. The Magic need another big body and he could be a nice fit at back up 4/5. I haven't looked much into which other rookies are available but I see Howard as a Varejao type player but with actual basketball IQ. Any thoughts?
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#20 » by Cammo101 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:10 pm

PKP161 wrote:What about some undrafted rookies? I think a guy like Matt Howard from Butler could be a nice fit for very cheap. He could be a high-energy guy off the bench and would assuredly be a fan favorite with his hustle and work ethic. The Magic need another big body and he could be a nice fit at back up 4/5. I haven't looked much into which other rookies are available but I see Howard as a Varejao type player but with actual basketball IQ. Any thoughts?

He was too unathletic to hang with Florida. He has no chance to make it in the NBA unless he becomes a sharpshooter. Which is unlikely.

Return to Orlando Magic