ImageImageImageImage

2014 Draft Prospect Watch (Part III)

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

MellowRose
Banned User
And1: 1,551

Re: 2014 Draft Prospect Watch (Part III) 

Post#2141 » by MellowRose » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:35 am

Paul1984 wrote:
cedric76 wrote:
Paul1984 wrote:
Clown. Embiid, Parker, Randle Exum are all better prospects.

Embiid is healthy should be a better prospect, i agree, but back issue is a concern to me and i wouldnt risk it

Parker and randle will be good NBA player but i dont think they ll ever be good in Defense

Exum, we dont know anything about this kid

Smart is all heart and hustle, he would bleed Blue if we sign him, a backcourt dipo+smart would be AWESOME (their shot % will be better soon, no doubt about it)

PS: Name calling is childish, grow up

Oh look another smart fan who uses heart and hustle as the sole reason to draft him.

PS don't make such ridiculous posts next time

Rain, Rain, Go Away...
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,767

Post#2142 » by Cammo101 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:47 am

ChosenSavior wrote:
Cammo101 wrote:If we take Parker over Wiggins, I may cry.

Tears of sadness or joy? Just curious.

Sadness. I don't think Parker is even on the same level as Wiggins as an NBA prospect.
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#2143 » by Orlwillbeback » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:49 am

Cammo101 wrote:
ChosenSavior wrote:
Cammo101 wrote:If we take Parker over Wiggins, I may cry.

Sadness. I don't think Parker is even on the same level as Wiggins as an NBA prospect.

please explain
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,238

2014 Draft Prospect Watch (Part III) 

Post#2144 » by Blue_and_Whte » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:12 am

Orlwillbeback wrote:
Cammo101 wrote:
ChosenSavior wrote:

please explain
do you have to explain all of your opinions? Especially after your assessment "wiggins is confirmed trash"wasn't that what you said?

People are allowed to think wiggins is better than parker and there's a very good chance that he is IMO.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
Orlwillbeback
RealGM

Post#2145 » by Orlwillbeback » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:41 am

Blue_and_Whte wrote:do you have to explain all of your opinions? Especially after your assessment "wiggins is confirmed trash"wasn't that what you said?

People are allowed to think wiggins is better than parker and there's a very good chance that he is IMO.

whoaaaa buddy

all i did was ask.

I just want to hear someone make a good argument with basketball reasons why he is a good prospect. I have explained my opinions thoroughly on this board and am interested in hearing some counterpoints.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#2146 » by Cammo101 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:50 am

Orlwillbeback wrote:please explain

I think Wiggins has all the tools to be a yearly all star. He is a freak athlete and runs like a gazelle. He is a little more raw offensively than Parker, but that didn't stop him from going for 17 a night as a freshman. He is also a much better defender than Parker.

Parker is going to find some challenges in the NBA. He lacks the lateral quickness to stay in front of SFs and will need to really toughen up to defend NBA PFs. Add to that that it's going to be a lot harder for him to score inside in the NBA, because he isn't a great athlete (he is a good one though) and he doesn't have the quickest first step.

I like Parker a lot, and do think his skill and shooting will make him a good NBA player. But, I do not see greatness there. Wiggins, while not an all star out of the box, has all the pieces needed to become a great player. If you are picking in the top 3, you need to aim for the fences.
Orlwillbeback
RealGM

Post#2147 » by Orlwillbeback » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:00 am

Cammo101 wrote:

I think Wiggins has all the tools to be a yearly all star. He is a freak athlete and runs like a gazelle. He is a little more raw offensively than Parker, but that didn't stop him from going for 17 a night as a freshman. He is also a much better defender than Parker.

Parker is going to find some challenges in the NBA. He lacks the lateral quickness to stay in front of SFs and will need to really toughen up to defend NBA PFs. Add to that that it's going to be a lot harder for him to score inside in the NBA, because he isn't a great athlete (he is a good one though) and he doesn't have the quickest first step.

I like Parker a lot, and do think his skill and shooting will make him a good NBA player. But, I do not see greatness there. Wiggins, while not an all star out of the box, has all the pieces needed to become a great player. If you are picking in the top 3, you need to aim for the fences.

thank you, that's what i was looking for.

I guess I generally am not as optimistic for a prospect's skill development as some others, as relating to generally ALL prospects.

IMO they would show it at a younger age, before even entering college, if they had the necessary skill to become a star in the nba.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#2148 » by Cammo101 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:20 am

Orlwillbeback wrote:
Cammo101 wrote:

thank you, that's what i was looking for.

I guess I generally am not as optimistic for a prospect's skill development as some others, as relating to generally ALL prospects.

IMO they would show it at a younger age, before even entering college, if they had the necessary skill to become a star in the nba.

Not every prospect works on the same timeline. Guys like Blake Griffin, Joakim Noah, Roy Hibbert, Demar Derozan, Damian Lillard, Paul George, and James Harden are all guys who were not on anyone's star player radar after their freshman year of college. But, Wiggins can continue to add skill, whaereas Parker won't be getting any more athletic.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#2149 » by Skin » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:34 am

Cammo101 wrote:

Good discussion on Parker vs Wiggins. Personally, I have a bigger lean towards Parker than Wiggins. I think the whole lateral quickness thing on Parker is being a bit overblown. What he lacks in quickness, he makes up for in other areas. I think we can both admit that he's not exactly terrible or anything, so when I hear the word "liability" I'm not going to assume that you mean he's a complete turnstile on defense. I have heard people bringing this up in the past, so I've thought about it a little bit.

But personally, I think he's surprisingly adequate for NBA Star standards based on the whole "lateral quickness" criticism. If we looked at other SF/PF Superstar types like Carmelo Anthony, Paul Pierce, Kevin Love, Dirk Nowitzki... nobody is going to say that these Superstars possess great lateral quickness or even particularly great athleticism. There are other aspects of their games that make them Superstars and it mostly begins with Offense. Parker has an offensive game that is diverse and he has a lot of confidence in his shot (deservingly so).

When you put his whole package together... it's easy to see why many people think he has the highest floor of any prospect and is already considered the most "NBA ready". ...and while that idea sounds good, I actually think it hurts him in a way because it establishes a stigma that he doesn't have a lot of upside. Who knows? Maybe he turns into the next Carmelo or Paul Pierce. Or maybe he ends up at PF and when you think of the kind of upside a PF with his game could be like, then there is actually a HUGE ceiling to his potential. A lot depends on how he grows and develops his game. The mistake would be judging him as a finished product or focusing too hard on a perceived fault.

----------

I love all the tools in Wiggins' game, but I have a harder time falling in love with him because of the passiveness in his game and all the hype about his potential. I can't help but be reminded of other similar players who went high based on tools and athletic upside, flashy moments and elite measurables, but didn't show hunger for real excellence while in college... Wesley Johnson, Marvin Williams, Jeff Green come to mind... All heavily lauded players and the thing they all 4 share is that quietness in their games. I don't know how to explain it. You see the potential and the flashy moments that make you think there is so much upside, but there is no hunger. No burning in the belly. No eye of the tiger type drive. I wish Wiggins would have shown the ability to just take over games and dominate, but it was hard to get out of him. Even his coach had to harp on him for that exact thing. Very naturally talented and the game looks easy for him at times, but I think he really needs to take it up a notch on the next level otherwise he will end up being a complimentary player instead of a lead dog.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,190

Post#2150 » by cedric76 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:49 am

Great post

Unless embiid was 100% healthy, there is no clear number one in this draft, this is why I m not too worried on where we end up in the draft.
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
MellowRose
Banned User
And1: 1,551

Post#2151 » by MellowRose » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:03 am

Kudos to Skin and Cammo for nice, well though out posts.

For me, I'm slowly turning to Wiggins. I think the NBA game is just suited to what he does best on the court. If the pace to a game comes to a screeching halt, Wiggins has the ability to shoot the ball, and if that's not falling, he can always take it to the basket and get to the FT line and maybe even an And 1.

His touch at the basket scares me, though. Just terrible hands there for someone as athletic as him. Don't know if that's something he'll be able to fix.

I'm also someone who wants this team to be GREAT on defense ala Pacers. Wiggins would be a great pairing with Oladipo, Harkless, and KOQ.

With Jabari, we have the potential to create something similar to OKC. No, we won't have our Ibaka (unless if we get a PF like Vonleh or Capela), but Oladipo could play try and fit into that RW mold (except less crazy shooting and taking a back seat to Jabari) while Jabari played KD.

However, as someone posted earlier, KD has been an elite defender this year. Jabari will most likely never be able to do that.

Bottom line with Jabari, if we nab him, we're going to have to put at least 3 other guys around him who can play somewhat above average defense.

My 2 cents.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,160

Post#2152 » by OrlChamps2030 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:12 pm

Some pretty well thought out posts. I like both Parker & Wiggins a lot but just a few things to add:

- Jabari is a PF not a SF. This is not a bad thing. PF will be the position he produces at more offensively & will ultimately be the position where he has the best chance of playing defense.

- Wiggins shoots way too many jumpers in the half court

- Wiggins has all the tools but even his defense is no sure thing

-Ultimately if Embiid is healthy he is the best prospect IMO, he can do it all. Sooo skilled, has great physical tools, and most of all he is a student of the game that learns from his mistakes on both ends and improved on a game to game basis.

- Exum is the type of guy who can get you fired or have you looking like a genius. You're basically drafting him for his first step & size. Even his defense is raw right now.. And he's up Against Australian high schoolers lol

In the end id love to have any of the Top 4 in this draft I can't wait to see how the lottery goes!
Edrock
Rookie
And1: 210

Post#2153 » by Edrock » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:33 pm

The thing I like most about Wiggins is he reminds me of Tracy. McGrady.... The thing that scares me most about Wiggins is he reminds me of Tracy McGrady...
cedric76
RealGM

Post#2154 » by cedric76 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:31 pm

Parker seems to be the safest thing in this draft and carmelo s clone
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
TNMagicFan
Head Coach
And1: 243

Post#2155 » by TNMagicFan » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:07 pm

cedric76 wrote:Parker seems to be the safest thing in this draft and carmelo s clone

I don't get this opinion at all . He is not nearly the athlete that Wiggins is . People who are on the Parker bandwagon seem to be looking at college and not realizing the NBA game is different . Based on just play on the collegiate level why not draft McDermott ?

I am Embiid all the way . He is by far the best prospect in this draft IMO . Admittedly I long for the Magic to have another dominant big patroling the paint again .
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,728

Post#2156 » by thelead » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:19 pm

TNMagicFan wrote:
cedric76 wrote:Parker seems to be the safest thing in this draft and carmelo s clone

I don't get this opinion at all . He is not nearly the athlete that Wiggins is . People who are on the Parker bandwagon seem to be looking at college and not realizing the NBA game is different . Based on just play on the collegiate level why not draft McDermott ?

I am Embiid all the way . He is by far the best prospect in this draft IMO . Admittedly I long for the Magic to have another dominant big patroling the paint again .

I agree with cedric on this one. He said "safest". Carmelo isn't the athlete that Wiggins is. Hell, he's not the athlete that Harkless is :lol:
Skin
RealGM

Post#2157 » by Skin » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:23 pm

Edrock wrote:The thing I like most about Wiggins is he reminds me of Tracy. McGrady.... The thing that scares me most about Wiggins is he reminds me of Tracy McGrady...

I can see what you're saying. T-Mac didn't really reach stardom until he left Toronto. That would be a terrible fate for the team that drafts Wiggins if he ends up like that. Scared to offer him the max so you let him go... and THEN he blossoms. Eeesh.

T-Mac had a special type of hunger though. I wish I saw that more in Wiggins. Both just completely natural and supremely athletic. I think Wiggins will be a lot better when he puts on his man suit. Wish I could see in the future at him with more muscle mass and bulk.
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Skin
RealGM

Post#2158 » by Skin » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:48 pm

TNMagicFan wrote:

Just being an athlete is not enough though. There are soooo many elite athletes that fail to make it in the NBA and soooo many mediocre athletes that have legit staying power. You have to look at the entire package of the player. THAT is why we wouldn't draft McDermott. Nobody is basing anyone solely on collegiate play. That is just part of it.

I am with Embiid over Wiggins. I'm not quite sure about Embiid over Parker and Exum though. Between those 3 I want to land one of them. Embiid's back scares me A LOT. Back issues are tricky. They can come and go and the highs and lows are very extreme. You might feel like you can move and do anything one day and then completely feel immobile if it's outta wack. Anytime I hear big man injuries I get really scared. Their big bodies are unlike normal sized human beings. Sure they are great for the game of basketball, but at the same time the game of basketball can be extremely harsh on their bodies. I find some comfort in seeing Dwight continue to deal with his back injuries and do well, but it didn't help T-Mac. His downfall happened so fast. I would rather him have had an ACL injury like Noel than a spinal problem. Really sucks because we all do see his immense talent and potential and we want to see him put it all together in the NBA. Imagine his game in a bulked up frame! WOW! This is why people start thinking Hakeem with him. His basketball skills are so superior to Dwight. Dwight is a better "athlete" but Embiid plays the game of basketball. He can dribble, hit FTs, is a smooth operator on the block and can protect the rim. I do wish he would grab more rebounds and control his fouls, but he's still such a raw piece of clay that it's easy to imagine the upside and dominating player he can be. Put it this way. If we drafted Embiid and he and Vuc didn't work out.... I'd be shopping Vuc. IT ALL rides on the severity of this back problem.
cedric76
RealGM

Post#2159 » by cedric76 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:34 pm

thelead wrote:
TNMagicFan wrote:

I agree with cedric on this one. He said "safest". Carmelo isn't the athlete that Wiggins is. Hell, he's not the athlete that Harkless is :lol:

Yeap, I said 'safe', he isn't on my top 3 though :-)

Randle could become Randolph s clone
Parker could become carmelo s clone
Embiid+wiggins +exum are all about ceiling and projection

If we draft on need, I think smart is our pick, he 'll be perfect next to Dipo, I can't wait for the day when opponents' pg wont abuse us anymore
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
Orlwillbeback
RealGM

Post#2160 » by Orlwillbeback » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:49 pm

i dont like the idea of drafting a kid just because he is a good athlete. You have to watch them play then decide.

Return to Orlando Magic