ImageImageImageImage

Official Magic Off Season Thread (update pg 1)

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, SOUL, ChosenSavior

What deal would you rather take for JJ Redick? And how likely would there be a deal?

SG Redick to Blazers for PF Ike Diogu
25%
Portland Accept?
17%
Portland Decline?
11%
F/C Battie & SG Redick to Nets for F/C Josh Boone and PF Stromile Swift
17%
New Jersey Accept?
6%
New Jersey Decline?
8%
SG Redick to Rockets for G Luthor Head & C Loren Woods
6%
Houston Accept?
2%
Houston Decline?
4%
SG Redick to Lakers for C/F Chris Mihm
6%

Total votes: 53

lovehoops01
General Manager
And1: 1

Re: Official Magic Off Season Thread (update pg 1) 

Post#1101 » by lovehoops01 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:39 pm

How about if they trade J.J. for a future pick and then use the extra salary room they gain to re-sign Dooling?
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#1102 » by craig01 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:44 pm

lovehoops01 wrote:How about if they trade J.J. for a future pick and then use the extra salary room they gain to re-sign Dooling?

That would be creative. Impossible.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Post#1103 » by mhectorgato » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:54 pm

craig01 wrote:
lovehoops01 wrote:How about if they trade J.J. for a future pick and then use the extra salary room they gain to re-sign Dooling?

That would be creative. Impossible.

Impossible is effectively the correct word because the CBA forbids it, unless the other team is under the cap. Right now, there are not too many teams in that state right now.
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
theTHIEF
RealGM
And1: 214

Post#1104 » by theTHIEF » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:55 pm

not possible...

edit: agh curse you hector, curse you...
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,055

Post#1105 » by MagicStarwipe » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:27 pm

I'd love to bring in Marbury somehow if he's willing to backup Jameer.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
theTHIEF
RealGM

Post#1106 » by theTHIEF » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:03 pm

wheww

Otis aint having no part in Tinsley or Marbury

So when I asked Smith if he had interest in either the Pacers' Jamaal Tinsley or the Knicks' Stephon Marbury --- two moody, controversial players who might be bought out by their teams and available for a song --- he shook his head.

No.

And no way.

"You know me," he said.

Smith also didn't believe that Shaun Livingston -- once a promising 6-7 guard for the Clippers --- is healthy enough to take a chance on. Livingston has yet to recover from a horrific 2007 knee injury.

so I guess that means we're getting all three?

:D
Grady1train
Junior
And1: 2

Post#1107 » by Grady1train » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:55 pm

Whew, that is good to know. I just hope Otis is misdirecting us to pull off a good trade.
magicfan4life05
RealGM
And1: 198

Post#1108 » by magicfan4life05 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:20 pm

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.d ... rentPage=0

REDICK CONFIDENT HE WON'T BE TRADED; STILL HOPING FOR SHOT TO PLAY IN ORLANDO

By John Denton
FLORIDA TODAY
ORLANDO -- The message board scuttlebutt claimed that J.J. Redick, frustrated that he’s never going to get to play with the Magic and again demanding a trade out of Orlando, had cleaned out his locker at the team’s headquarters.

That rumor actually found its way to Redick, and he got a hearty chuckle out of it. And following a two-hour weightlifting session Friday at the Magic’s headquarters, Redick stressed that he indeed still has an occupied dressing stall in the Magic locker room.
``Yeah, I saw that,’’ Redick said, ``and I got a good laugh out of it.’’

Speculation has swirled for weeks that the former Duke All-American is on his way out of Orlando after the Magic picked Courtney Lee in the NBA Draft and signed fellow shooting guard Mickael Pietrus to a four-year, $25.1 million free-agent contract.

Third on the team’s depth chart last season when he played just 34 games, Redick was seemingly pushed even further into oblivion on the Magic bench. He is one of four shooting guards on the roster, joining Keith Bogans, Pietrus and Lee.

But Redick, who recently turned 24 years old, has been assured by Magic general manager Otis Smith that there are no plans to trade him elsewhere.

``I’m sure, from what I’ve been told, that I will be in Orlando,’’ Redick said. ``My mindset is to just come into camp in great shape and earn minutes. I tried to do that last summer and it didn’t work out, so I’ve worked even harder this summer. I want it to work out here, I really do. I’m doing everything in my power to put myself in a good position.’’

As for the Magic’s recent transactions possibly frustrating him more than he already is, Redick said: ``You can get caught up in the personal side and think it’s a slap in the face, but it’s a business. Otis is just doing what he thinks is best for this organization and (coach) Stan (Van Gundy) is doing the same thing. Hopefully I’m a part of their plan.’’

Smith said Redick is a part of the master plan, and offered up somewhat of a backhanded compliment by saying that he thinks Redick can be ``a good backup (shooting) guard for us.’’

``I still like the kid and still think he can play for us,’’ Smith said. ``As I've said before he's not the first guy in the history of basketball whose career has gotten off to a slow start. And he’s not the first guy who has played four years of college basketball and struggled to get on the floor. Please write this: `I like J.J. Redick.’^’’

Redick played only 42 games under coach Brian Hill his rookie season, and was promised more of a prominent role this past season with Van Gundy taking over. Redick played well in the summer league last July and had a strong training camp.

But his minutes and opportunities dwindled when Van Gundy opted for the defensive toughness of Bogans, and they plummeted to next to nothing when Orlando acquired Maurice Evans in a trade. Redick actually appeared in eight fewer games and 400 fewer minutes last season as opposed to his rookie year.

Redick’s request for a trade in January was denied by Smith and again this summer. He said his frustration stems simply from wanting to get what he deems a fair chance to prove himself on the court.

``I do just want a chance. I want to prove to other people and to myself that I can play, and I know I can,’’ he said. ``Actions speak louder than words. I want to show what I can do and help this team win. But it is frustrating to not get that chance. As long as I keep working hard, I’m convinced I’ll catch a break somewhere.’’

To escape the swirling trade talk and the reminders of another season lost, Redick left Orlando following the playoff loss to Detroit and moved back to Durham, N.C., for six weeks. There, he worked out daily at Duke’s Cameron Indoor Stadium _ site of his greatest basketball accomplishments _ and visited his newborn niece, Chloe, for hours at a time.

The five-day-a-week workouts included five-hour sessions of basketball, weightlifting, Pilates classes and agility drills. He is, he stressed, in the best shape of his life and in position for what he hopes is a legitimate shot at earning playing time when training camp opens in October.

``It was good for me to kind of get out of Orlando,’’ Redick said with a laugh. ``I lived up there (in Durham) alone, focused on my workouts and cleared my mind. I’m in a great place mentally and physically. I refuse to get caught up in what fans are saying and what is written. It’s pointless.
``I’m just holding out hope that this year my chance will come.’’
theTHIEF
RealGM

Post#1109 » by theTHIEF » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:22 pm

the everlasting Redick+Otis vs the Media+Message Boards tug-o-war...
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,281

Post#1110 » by Optimus_Steel » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:34 pm

LMAO JJ is gonneeee. Already got his foot on the door. A trade might actually be on the works right now.
aka: prorl
EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Post#1111 » by EasternMagic » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:05 pm

theTHIEF wrote:wheww

Otis aint having no part in Tinsley or Marbury

So when I asked Smith if he had interest in either the Pacers' Jamaal Tinsley or the Knicks' Stephon Marbury --- two moody, controversial players who might be bought out by their teams and available for a song --- he shook his head.

No.

And no way.

"You know me," he said.

Smith also didn't believe that Shaun Livingston -- once a promising 6-7 guard for the Clippers --- is healthy enough to take a chance on. Livingston has yet to recover from a horrific 2007 knee injury.

so I guess that means we're getting all three?

:D

THANK YOU OTIS!!!! im glad he's not really looking at Tinsley or Marbury...
and if he could get Livingston for the LLE than this offseason would be complete... I would LOVE to have Livingston on the team
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 38,109

Post#1112 » by SOUL » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:07 pm

I dono.. I would maybe take a risk on Livingston if he is 100%.. but we really only have 1 pg so I doubt we'll go for him.
theTHIEF
RealGM

Post#1113 » by theTHIEF » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:14 pm

I heard somewhere that in the last few weeks Livingston has played several games of basketball at some gym, and he has to be worked out and massaged for over an hour before he can even play...if that is true, it is very out of the ordinary and probably not something you want to risk...
SFranklin
Senior
And1: 2

Post#1114 » by SFranklin » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:20 pm

What we need is Dooling back.. Though probably not possible, he seems to be the best option available because of his character, versatility, and defensive abilities.
Catledge
Starter
And1: 834

Post#1115 » by Catledge » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:28 pm

I agree, Frank. We seem to have enough space under the tax, and Dooling is exactly what we need. It just makes too much sense for it not to be what Otis is really thinking.
mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Post#1116 » by mhectorgato » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:34 pm

Catledge wrote:I agree, Frank. We seem to have enough space under the tax, and Dooling is exactly what we need. It just makes too much sense for it not to be what Otis is really thinking.

Maybe he's trying to find a better deal and if not then KeDo will return and get minutes at the PG spot primarily?
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
richboy
RealGM
And1: 2,486

Re: Official Orlando Magic Off Season Thread 

Post#1117 » by richboy » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:11 pm

spinedoc wrote:
richboy wrote:
Memphis feels Critt has all-star talent. They don't play him as a PG but a SG. They just gave up Gasol to get Critt. You really think they going to trade Critt a few months later for JJ Redick and a late first.

Yes I do, but all star talent? You don't even think Lewis is all star talent, but now JC is, or soon to be? Man, you kill me. :lol:

What part did you miss? Looks like I said Memphis feels Critt is an all-star talent. Did I say I feel Critt is an all-star talent.

Do I agree that Critt is that good? I know if Critt had went to college for his second year he probably would have been a top 8 pick in the draft. Critt really made a mistake going to GT. 2 years ago you would have said Critt is just slightly below Derrick Rose and some may have taken him over Rose.

Those who haven't seen Critt play tell me how this guy is a throw in and could be had for a spot up shooter.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8Tyv6dE8QZw

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ySkkeM9XYcQ

A player that has his ballhandling skills, his size, and that athletism don't come a long very often. The fact he can also bring those attributes to the PG position if things work out is even better. He off the dribble ability is comparable to Baron Davis. That scary and he is 20 years old. He isn't an all-star right now but he has shown that he can get to the front of the rim almost anytime he wants. He could play 2 positions and has shown good ability to defend them both. Has physical gifts as good as any in the league. You be insane or just not watch much basketball outside of Orlando to think you could get Javaris for a slow not athletic spot up shooter who can barely dribble the ball undersized SG who right now is 4th string on a teams depth charts.
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." John Wooden
theTHIEF
RealGM

Post#1118 » by theTHIEF » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:13 pm

I LOVE Crittenton...
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,442

Post#1119 » by UCFJayBird » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:31 pm

i love lamp
Dwightmare
Sixth Man
And1: 24

Post#1120 » by Dwightmare » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:32 pm

Me too. JJ and a future first, get it done otis.

Return to Orlando Magic