ImageImageImageImage

Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

davey_wavy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,014

Re: Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 4.0 

Post#121 » by davey_wavy » Wed Apr 3, 2024 5:14 pm

Just read on the Athletic that we are going hard after D-Lo this summer. Is this old news? Sorry if I’m late to the party
CocoaFan
Sophomore
And1: 80

Post#122 » by CocoaFan » Wed Apr 3, 2024 6:36 pm

davey_wavy wrote:Just read on the Athletic that we are going hard after D-Lo this summer. Is this old news? Sorry if I’m late to the party
It's been reported by other outlets in the last week but I think it's the 1st time in the Athletic. Where there's smoke there's fire? I think D Lo might be the best option yet. He's actually a point guard which we don't have and he can score. Wondering what others think of him?
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,210

Post#123 » by zaymon » Wed Apr 3, 2024 7:23 pm

CocoaFan wrote:
davey_wavy wrote:Just read on the Athletic that we are going hard after D-Lo this summer. Is this old news? Sorry if I’m late to the party
It's been reported by other outlets in the last week but I think it's the 1st time in the Athletic. Where there's smoke there's fire? I think D Lo might be the best option yet. He's actually a point guard which we don't have and he can score. Wondering what others think of him?

Dont look a gift horse in the mouth. If he agrees to sign for 2 years he could be the most realistic option. I would prefer Tyus Jones but its better to have multiple options. Both are what we need the most. Ball handlers who can shoot and perform pick and roll. If we sign a guard then we can trade for center upgrade. Other option is signing someone like Hartenstein and trading for a guard. Or maybe sign both and keep assets.
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,557

Post#124 » by jezzerinho » Wed Apr 3, 2024 8:00 pm

zaymon wrote:
CocoaFan wrote:

Dont look a gift horse in the mouth. If he agrees to sign for 2 years he could be the most realistic option. I would prefer Tyus Jones but its better to have multiple options. Both are what we need the most. Ball handlers who can shoot and perform pick and roll. If we sign a guard then we can trade for center upgrade. Other option is signing someone like Hartenstein and trading for a guard. Or maybe sign both and keep assets.

DLo? Flat-track bully who beats up on weak teams and shrinks against good ones? Just what the Magic needs!!!!!
Career 38% win record, or thereabouts. I dunno, guys, Im not a fan of that one and it doesnt scream Weltman either. Id be sceptical.
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 712

Post#125 » by JoshuaPotter » Wed Apr 3, 2024 8:06 pm

jezzerinho wrote:
zaymon wrote:
CocoaFan wrote:It's been reported by other outlets in the last week but I think it's the 1st time in the Athletic. Where there's smoke there's fire? I think D Lo might be the best option yet. He's actually a point guard which we don't have and he can score. Wondering what others think of him?

DLo? Flat-track bully who beats up on weak teams and shrinks against good ones? Just what the Magic needs!!!!!
Career 38% win record, or thereabouts. I dunno, guys, Im not a fan of that one and it doesnt scream Weltman either. Id be sceptical.

Is DLo the same DLo from the lakers? Stats wise he seems like he would be a good fit....outside of that.

He doesn't look like he is on a team with a 38% career record. What's up with that?
jezzerinho
Starter
And1: 1,557

Post#126 » by jezzerinho » Wed Apr 3, 2024 9:06 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:
jezzerinho wrote:
zaymon wrote:

Is DLo the same DLo from the lakers? Stats wise he seems like he would be a good fit....outside of that.

He doesn't look like he is on a team with a 38% career record. What's up with that?

No,.he looks like he's on a team with LeBron and AD. Look, DLo is a decent player. Offensively in the main. We need offense and a guy who can move the ball in a system where the play isnt always in his hands. A system with crafty bigs who collapse defences. So far so good.

But its been the guts of a decade and we still haven't seen a dominant Russell. And he's been given a long leash almost everywhere. I dunno. Not what i was hoping for.

But it prob isnt happening because the Magic FO never leak, so 99.9% likely this is bogus.
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,401

Post#127 » by tooler » Thu Apr 4, 2024 12:55 am

I'm back on the point guard train. Paolo and Franz running out of steam at the end of the season is a good example why. They can beat teams with their size, but not for 82 games. It's too much load. You need a guard to set up some easy buckets in the regular season. Then save your forwards for crunch time and the playoffs.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,635

Post#128 » by eyriq » Thu Apr 4, 2024 1:08 am

tooler wrote:I'm back on the point guard train. Paolo and Franz running out of steam at the end of the season is a good example why. They can beat teams with their size, but not for 82 games. It's too much load. You need a guard to set up some easy buckets in the regular season. Then save your forwards for crunch time and the playoffs.
I've always been on the PG train. AB ftw
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,616

Post#129 » by BadMofoPimp » Thu Apr 4, 2024 3:17 am

CocoaFan wrote:

I think he gets overpayed.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,616

Post#130 » by BadMofoPimp » Thu Apr 4, 2024 3:18 am

eyriq wrote:
tooler wrote:I'm back on the point guard train. Paolo and Franz running out of steam at the end of the season is a good example why. They can beat teams with their size, but not for 82 games. It's too much load. You need a guard to set up some easy buckets in the regular season. Then save your forwards for crunch time and the playoffs.

AB is not a facilitator or scorer. Don't think he is even a PG. Probably better at SF. But, I love defense players so I would like to see if he progrresses like Suggs.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
AaronB
Bench Warmer
And1: 643

Post#131 » by AaronB » Thu Apr 4, 2024 4:10 am

BadMofoPimp wrote:
eyriq wrote:

AB is not a facilitator or scorer. Don't think he is even a PG. Probably better at SF. But, I love defense players so I would like to see if he progrresses like Suggs.

AB is also a serious gym rat.

Good chance he comes back next year and takes Harris's place.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,061

Post#132 » by drsd » Thu Apr 4, 2024 10:55 am

AaronB wrote:AB is also a serious gym rat.

If Suggs and Black can average 37% three pointers on a collective 6 attempts per game, then their definsive chaos can work. F-Wagner and Banchero would be co-pointforwards in that scheme.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,964

Post#133 » by basketballRob » Thu Apr 4, 2024 11:44 am

drsd wrote:
AaronB wrote:AB is also a serious gym rat.

If Suggs and Black can average 37% three pointers on a collective 6 attempts per game, then their definsive chaos can work. F-Wagner and Banchero would be co-pointforwards in that scheme.
I noticed last night that McCollum went at Harris every time he got the switch. Next year, if AB is starting, players wouldn't be able to do that.

If they want to take more time with AB and Jett, we could sign a player like KCP to replace Fultz and bring back Harris. Both on short contracts

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 739

Post#134 » by RichCollab » Thu Apr 4, 2024 12:23 pm

We need an enforcer. Need someone to protect Suggs.

Teams are going to on purpose be more physical with Suggs in the playoffs.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,061

Post#135 » by drsd » Thu Apr 4, 2024 1:45 pm

RichCollab wrote:We need an enforcer. Need someone to protect Suggs.

Well if you mean the Magic should get a Joe Dumars type SG, then I guess you are imagining DeMar DeRozan is a fit. For me, that's not the way to go. But I understand the notion.
Magicman125
Rookie
And1: 450

Post#136 » by Magicman125 » Thu Apr 4, 2024 2:37 pm

get me Tyus Jones as a backup true pg and spot starter for inevitable games missed due to injury, then get someone who can be an upgrade from Harris but fit the same archetype (Grayson Allen, GTJ, KCP, Malik Monk, Hield).
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,995

Post#137 » by Knightro » Thu Apr 4, 2024 2:58 pm

D'Angelo Russell is a fascinating player.

He's been one of the best offensive guards in the NBA for a good bit of time now.

Here are his Offensive EPM ranks over the last SIX seasons.

2024 - 92nd percentile, 41st overall
2023 - 90th percentile, 49th overall
2022 - 94th percentile, 29th overall
2021 - 92nd percentile, 41st overall
2020 - 96th percentile, 20th overall
2019 - 95th percentile, 23rd overall

The issue for him is that he's an AWFUL defensive player and always has graded very poorly on that end of the floor.

That said... his bad defense hasn't completely killed the teams he's played for like it has for guys like Trae Young and Anfernee Simons.

2024 Lakers - 15th in DRTG
2023 Lakers - 2nd in DTRG and 2023 Wolves - 11th in DTRG
2022 Wolves - 13th in DRTG
2019 Nets - 15th in DRTG

If the Magic are confident they can hide him defensively, he would give this offense an immediate jolt.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,967

Post#138 » by Skybox » Thu Apr 4, 2024 2:59 pm

drsd wrote:
RichCollab wrote:We need an enforcer. Need someone to protect Suggs.

Well if you mean the Magic should get a Joe Dumars type SG, then I guess you are imagining DeMar DeRozan is a fit. For me, that's not the way to go. But I understand the notion.

I think he's talking more about a Steven Adams-type to make sure Suggs doesn't get smacked up for his aggressive D...I'm thinking Suggs is plenty tough on his own...like Marcus Smart - 6'2 or whatever, but no-one wants a piece of him.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,995

Post#139 » by Knightro » Thu Apr 4, 2024 3:10 pm

“Orlando’s the team,” Lakers insider Jovan Buha said. “Orlando is the team that — talking to people with the Lakers, talking to people outside the Lakers — Orlando is the team that probably gives them the most concern in terms of a potential suitor.”

This is the exact quote from The Athletic as well. Their main Lakers beat guy Jovan Buha said it.
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,168

Post#140 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Thu Apr 4, 2024 3:22 pm

Go get DLo if you can't get him look at Tyus on cheaper deal
Try to package WCJ/Denver or our 24 pick and get a backup 3/4
Sign Hartenstein in FA

Guards - DLo, AB, Cole, Suggs
F - Paolo, Franz, FA trade, Isaac
C- Hartenstein, M Wagner

there's your 10 man rotation, Deep Bench- Howard, Houstan, Backup C.

Harris, Ingles, Fultz, Goga, Okeke all gone.
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:

Return to Orlando Magic