ImageImageImageImage

The Official Jalen Suggs Thread

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,427

Re: The Official Jalen Suggs Thread 

Post#1401 » by pepe1991 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:31 pm

I don't want to get into all that but it's important to take in considirations that being on bad teams does not always mean you are bad player.

Many players from dysfuncional Raptors rosters, from 2021-2024 made new teams better.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,167

Post#1402 » by Residual-Heat » Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:03 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=qYRsICSSgPwTp4rupo-geQ

i dont really care about +/- stats but thought id post it anyway.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,625

Post#1403 » by eyriq » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:16 pm

Residual-Heat wrote:
Read on Twitter

Suggs!!! Why his minutes so low though, Mosley? Why???
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,960

Post#1404 » by basketballRob » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:23 pm

eyriq wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:
Read on Twitter

He burns himself out on the defensive end. Last night, he was shot after denying Quickley from getting the ball over half court for 7 seconds. Plus, he fouls a lot.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,960

Post#1405 » by basketballRob » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:03 pm

Suggs in tearing it up right now. Since January, he's shooting around 45% from 3 on high volume. We've won the last 8 he's played and 17-3 in the last 20.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM mobile app
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,946

Post#1406 » by RookieStar » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:29 pm

eyriq wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:
Read on Twitter

Flame burns brightest burns shortest... or something Zen like...
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,584

Post#1407 » by Bensational » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:40 pm

pepe1991 wrote:I don't want to get into all that but it's important to take in considirations that being on bad teams does not always mean you are bad player.

Many players from dysfuncional Raptors rosters, from 2021-2024 made new teams better.

Sure, same way young guys can improve. I’ve never been against either position. But there should be a realistic idea of the impact that player can make if they haven’t proven to be a talent that transcends a bad team. And when taken into context with other proposals, you get a sense of who wants change just for change sake vs who’s actually considering the team as is and how the addition will impact us. Ie, we had people pitching to make a deal for LaVine this season. Since then he hung up his shoes for the season and the Bulls got better in his absence. Meanwhile, Suggs has gone from strength to strength.

There’s definitely a bunch of guys that can improve our team, former and current Raptor players included. When to make additions is the key question. What’s the bigger priority; Paolo learning how to run an offense, or Paolo learning to play off another offense driver? Short term, it’s maximising Paolo’s individual game. Mid term it will be maximising his team game. By that mid term point we’ll know if we have an in house option or if we have to bring that guy in from outside.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,427

Post#1408 » by pepe1991 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:59 am

Bensational wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:I don't want to get into all that but it's important to take in considirations that being on bad teams does not always mean you are bad player.

Sure, same way young guys can improve. I’ve never been against either position. But there should be a realistic idea of the impact that player can make if they haven’t proven to be a talent that transcends a bad team. And when taken into context with other proposals, you get a sense of who wants change just for change sake vs who’s actually considering the team as is and how the addition will impact us. Ie, we had people pitching to make a deal for LaVine this season. Since then he hung up his shoes for the season and the Bulls got better in his absence. Meanwhile, Suggs has gone from strength to strength.

There’s definitely a bunch of guys that can improve our team, former and current Raptor players included. When to make additions is the key question. What’s the bigger priority; Paolo learning how to run an offense, or Paolo learning to play off another offense driver? Short term, it’s maximising Paolo’s individual game. Mid term it will be maximising his team game. By that mid term point we’ll know if we have an in house option or if we have to bring that guy in from outside.

Yea but there are plenty of players who were on bad teams and were part of championship teams within trade.

Gordon went from not very efficient PF who plays in fashion he feels that day to playing to his strenghts, and his strenghts only on championship team.
KCP went from chucker on Pistons to starting on two championship teams.
Hell, Brook Lopez was one of most hated Cs, and allstars in general before he went to Bucks. I remember so damn well so many hateful comments, nba talking heads, articles & fans flaming about most usless 7 foot rebounder. To his credit he changed his game, learned how to shoot etc, but just prior to ( first Lakers ) trade he averaged 5 RPG playing 30 min a game :lol:

You can go further, Irving & Love, especially JR Smith were all considers losers, out of nowhere they are part of championship roster in 2016.

Boris Diaw was part of worst team in nba history ( Bobcats 7-59), in first year of a trade (mid season) he plays WCF, next year finals, next year he is champion.

So you just have to look specific skillset from XY player and figure how that can be implemented to your team. People mention guys like Lavine or Beal in past because they put up allstar numbers, but in reality their impact is not as great as it looks ( or it's actually opposite, in Lavine's case).

As for context of Paolo and offense, we also need to take in considiration we are still top 10 worst offense. We win games because of defense. In general there are very few players who are 6'10 that should be drivers of offense, not just currentlly, but through whole nba past.

I'm exited for playoffs and i want to see how our offense holds against teams that will match our energy on defense. I think we can all learn a lot from this experience.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1409 » by eyriq » Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:05 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=Jqvmz3vM4MrMvQc6EXJzMg&s=19
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 712

Post#1410 » by JoshuaPotter » Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:27 pm

eyriq wrote:
Read on Twitter

I find it hopeful that Black is waiting in the wings with defensive intensity to one day challenge him.

The only catch is Suggs is more of a risky player and needs to also be thinking how he can adjust his defensive game long term to prolong his career.

3rd best player on this team. No doubt.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,347

Post#1411 » by MagicMatic » Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:46 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:
eyriq wrote:
Read on Twitter

I find it hopeful that Black is waiting in the wings with defensive intensity to one day challenge him.

The only catch is Suggs is more of a risky player and needs to also be thinking how he can adjust his defensive game long term to prolong his career.

He has to be more efficient on defense with where to expend his energy. A lot of his playmaking on the defensive end should be away from the basket and not underneath against bigs ideally. He spends a ton of energy contesting shots underneath and getting mauled in the paint.
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#1412 » by JoshuaPotter » Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:24 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
He has to be more efficient on defense with where to expend his energy. A lot of his playmaking on the defensive end should be away from the basket and not underneath against bigs ideally. He spends a ton of energy contesting shots underneath and getting mauled in the paint.

I think part of that is by design. We lack an interior bruiser that suits are identity. I get if your priority no 1 is "point guard" because we totally need a distributor / 3rd option. You can see this need filled sometimes when Ingles foot just touches the floor.

It's that whole design of "we are a rebound by committee" that I dont really agree with. We need a bruiser more then we need a point guard to make this whole defensive identity scheme work 10 years from now. Otherwise, I think we will continue to have a reputation of being frail with our defense teammates.
Viper1500
Head Coach
And1: 2,716

Post#1413 » by Viper1500 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:34 am

I fear he's going to be close to a max contract. I like this team, but we still need more. Over the next couple of years, a lot is going to rely on the growth from Black and Jett to fill out our roster
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,401

Post#1414 » by tooler » Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:15 am

eyriq wrote:
Read on Twitter

I'm still amused this was posted earlier today and then he decided to clown Charlotte to prove the point.
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,167

Post#1415 » by Residual-Heat » Wed Mar 20, 2024 3:49 am

I feel like im seeing recent improvement in Jalen's passing.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,929

Post#1416 » by Skybox » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:32 am

MagicMatic wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:
eyriq wrote:
Read on Twitter

If he had any kind of rim protection behind him...I'm sure Mose would like it too. Fearsome defensive teams are generally not built primarily around guard play. Suggs would be twice as effective defensively if his gambling play didn't automatically lead to uncontested shots at the rim. Pretty basic basketball...But, I think we'd need more backcourt offense (next to Suggs) to compensate for that kind of Center (vs WCJ/Mo types). Maybe that's Isaac - but he's so good defensively that it's easy to forget how little he does on the other end...Isaac is also at his best moving around the perimeter.

Same kind of analysis as PG for this roster. Franz is our best PG - but he's not and shouldn't play any PG. Isaac is our best defensive Center - but he shouldn't be in that spot either.

A good defensive Center might prolong Suggs' energy a bit - he spends a lot of time chasing big guys.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1417 » by eyriq » Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:35 pm

Skybox wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:

If he had any kind of rim protection behind him...I'm sure Mose would like it too. Fearsome defensive teams are generally not built primarily around guard play. Suggs would be twice as effective defensively if his gambling play didn't automatically lead to uncontested shots at the rim. Pretty basic basketball...But, I think we'd need more backcourt offense (next to Suggs) to compensate for that kind of Center (vs WCJ/Mo types). Maybe that's Isaac - but he's so good defensively that it's easy to forget how little he does on the other end...Isaac is also at his best moving around the perimeter.

Same kind of analysis as PG for this roster. Franz is our best PG - but he's not and shouldn't play any PG. Isaac is our best defensive Center - but he shouldn't be in that spot either.

A good defensive Center might prolong Suggs' energy a bit - he spends a lot of time chasing big guys.
I agree with this. After seeing Goga in serious minutes I think a strong case can be made that the team performs better with a rim protector. There was a lot of smoke around us trading WCJ leading up to the trade deadline.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,929

Post#1418 » by Skybox » Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:53 pm

eyriq wrote:
Skybox wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:

I agree with this. After seeing Goga in serious minutes I think a strong case can be made that the team performs better with a rim protector. There was a lot of smoke around us trading WCJ leading up to the trade deadline.

I really like WCJ and would be happy to have him, particularly in light of that great contract, as a young, solid, supersub at both 4&5. I just figure he's our most marketable win-now asset to move -if we do go for a different look at starting C. Guard scoring is priority #1, but it would be even more critical if we moved away from a guy like WCJ, who is at least a threat to spread the floor and, occasionally, can have a decent scoring night if the defense focuses elsewhere...no reason we couldn't do both and improve on both ends of the floor. In fact, we probably couldn't be better positioned to do so with all of the expiring salary and picks in hand.

We could go from being a really good defensive team to a freakin' juggernaut nightmare to play against...imagine Dejounte, Suggs, Franz, Paolo, Claxton - with Isaac, Black, WCJ off the bench 8-)

Mose is clearly a really good defensive Coach, but I believe he's making do with what he has...any Coach would want to add rim protection. Goga is pretty elite, but he can't really switch out of the paint. I would have liked a much less expensive Gafford, but Claxton is definitely in play, IMO...we can't overpay for a Center and he's not a big upgrade over WCJ - just a different kind of Center...so, I expect FO to be careful or just stand pat with WCJ...but, money aside, Mose would love a defensive anchor behind his POA wolves.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1419 » by eyriq » Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:45 pm

Skybox wrote:
eyriq wrote:
Skybox wrote:

I really like WCJ and would be happy to have him, particularly in light of that great contract, as a young, solid, supersub at both 4&5. I just figure he's our most marketable win-now asset to move -if we do go for a different look at starting C. Guard scoring is priority #1, but it would be even more critical if we moved away from a guy like WCJ, who is at least a threat to spread the floor and, occasionally, can have a decent scoring night if the defense focuses elsewhere...no reason we couldn't do both and improve on both ends of the floor. In fact, we probably couldn't be better positioned to do so with all of the expiring salary and picks in hand.

We could go from being a really good defensive team to a freakin' juggernaut nightmare to play against...imagine Dejounte, Suggs, Franz, Paolo, Claxton - with Isaac, Black, WCJ off the bench 8-)

Mose is clearly a really good defensive Coach, but I believe he's making do with what he has...any Coach would want to add rim protection. Goga is pretty elite, but he can't really switch out of the paint. I would have liked a much less expensive Gafford, but Claxton is definitely in play, IMO...we can't overpay for a Center and he's not a big upgrade over WCJ - just a different kind of Center...so, I expect FO to be careful or just stand pat with WCJ...but, money aside, Mose would love a defensive anchor behind his POA wolves.
Claxton is my #1 target.
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#1420 » by JoshuaPotter » Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:48 pm

eyriq wrote:Claxton is my #1 target.

Slowly but surely everyone here will be whispering "Claxton...Claxton".

I will not rest until every poster is suspiciously our (your) alt.

Return to Orlando Magic