ImageImageImageImage

NBA Playoffs Thread (non-Magic games discussion)

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach
And1: 2,580

Re: Official Playoff Seeding Thread 

Post#181 » by DiplomaticMagic » Mon Apr 1, 2024 4:15 am

Play-in would be a nightmare scenario, Im not sure we make it out of play-in. But homecourt advantage should be the goal
Trade for Jarret Allen
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,298

Post#182 » by Optimus_Steel » Mon Apr 1, 2024 4:29 am

Anyone rooting for Miami wins right now is insane lol.
aka: prorl
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,583

Post#183 » by Bensational » Mon Apr 1, 2024 7:09 am

It’s rooting for a NY loss, at the expense of a Miami win. Get a grip.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,621

Re: Official Playoff Seeding Thread / NBA Discussion 

Post#184 » by eyriq » Mon Apr 1, 2024 11:20 am

Losses
27: Bucks
28: ------
29: ------
30: Cavs, Knicks
31: Magic
32: ------
33: Heat, Pacers
34: ------
35: Sixers
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,959

Post#185 » by basketballRob » Mon Apr 1, 2024 1:02 pm

We need Atlanta to beat Chicago tonight, so the 3 games Chicago plays against NY mean something.

If we're close to the 3rd seed at the end of the season, the Bucks could tank the 2 games against us. Then they'd play the winner of the Magic/Pacers series instead of NY or the Cavs in the second round.

Sent from my SM-G781U using RealGM Forums mobile app
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 712

Post#186 » by JoshuaPotter » Mon Apr 1, 2024 1:32 pm

basketballRob wrote:We need Atlanta to beat Chicago tonight, so the 3 games Chicago plays against NY mean something.

If we're close to the 3rd seed at the end of the season, the Bucks could tank the 2 games against us. Then they'd play the winner of the Magic/Pacers series instead of NY or the Cavs in the second round.

Do we think teams do that intentionally? Has it ever happened on record?
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,985

Post#187 » by Knightro » Mon Apr 1, 2024 2:10 pm

Read on Twitter

Realistically, the Sixers are probably too far back to catch Orlando (4 back in the loss column with 8 to play), but the Magic do still travel to Philly, so that game is obviously much tougher if Embiid is back.
DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach

Post#188 » by DiplomaticMagic » Mon Apr 1, 2024 2:33 pm

Tonights Games of Significance

Blazers @ Magic
Nets @ Pacers

Nets are bad but they could sneak a win, but obviously cant count on them so we have to win vs Blazers.

Bonus Game
Hawks @ Bulls

We want Hawks to win so Bulls will play hard to win vs Knicks
Trade for Jarret Allen
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#189 » by JoshuaPotter » Mon Apr 1, 2024 2:42 pm

Knightro wrote:
Read on Twitter

Realistically, the Sixers are probably too far back to catch Orlando (4 back in the loss column with 8 to play), but the Magic do still travel to Philly, so that game is obviously much tougher if Embiid is back.

My personal opinion. Why is he rushing coming back? The season is a sunk cost for the 76rs and they need to reload in free agency to make another run.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#190 » by Knightro » Mon Apr 1, 2024 3:02 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:My personal opinion. Why is he rushing coming back? The season is a sunk cost for the 76rs and they need to reload in free agency to make another run.

They're 21-13 when Embiid plays. That's a 51-win pace and they've since added three capable veterans in Hield, Lowry and Payne since Embiid went out.

I don't see a scenario where they don't try and go for it if he's healthy enough to play.

I would absolutely not want to face them if he's healthy.
DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach

Post#191 » by DiplomaticMagic » Mon Apr 1, 2024 3:05 pm

Of course Sixers with Embiid is a problem but I dont feel like Embiid is 100%
Trade for Jarret Allen
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,084

Post#192 » by p0peye » Mon Apr 1, 2024 3:06 pm

Knightro wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:My personal opinion. Why is he rushing coming back? The season is a sunk cost for the 76rs and they need to reload in free agency to make another run.

They're 21-13 when Embiid plays. That's a 51-win pace and they've since added three capable veterans in Hield, Lowry and Payne since Embiid went out.

I don't see a scenario where they don't try and go for it if he's healthy enough to play.

Embiid should look after himself, he is already injury-prone and rushing back might risk his career. He ain't no spring chicken.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#193 » by Knightro » Mon Apr 1, 2024 3:07 pm

DiplomaticMagic wrote:Of course Sixers with Embiid is a problem but I dont feel like Embiid is 100%

Tomorrow marks 9 weeks since his injury and he's been ramping up for a while at this point.

If he's not healed by now...
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#194 » by Knightro » Mon Apr 1, 2024 3:08 pm

p0peye wrote:
Knightro wrote:

Embiid should look after himself, he is already injury-prone and rushing back might risk his career. He ain't no spring chicken.

I go the opposite way with that.

Embiid only has so many years left. At age 30, I just don't think he can punt on a year when the case could be made they Sixers are possibly the 2nd best team in the East when he's healthy.
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#195 » by JoshuaPotter » Mon Apr 1, 2024 3:14 pm

Knightro wrote:
p0peye wrote:
Knightro wrote:

Embiid only has so many years left. At age 30, I just don't think he can punt on a year when the case could be made they Sixers are possibly the 2nd best team in the East when he's healthy.

Some players can play well into their later 30's and early 40's at a high level. This is no longer an opinion as several players have proven they can do it.

Otherwise I get you. If he is healthy. Sure, why not play. I personally, will always er on the side of "don't come back too soon". Maybe I have been burned one too many times in my fandom regarding players rushing back from injury.
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,084

Post#196 » by p0peye » Mon Apr 1, 2024 3:14 pm

Knightro wrote:
p0peye wrote:
Knightro wrote:

In regular season, maybe. I've yet to see Embiid perform in postseason.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,959

Post#197 » by basketballRob » Mon Apr 1, 2024 3:18 pm

I think Philadelphia should sit Embiid until next year. We see it over and over again when players come back quickly from meniscus injuries, and they end up doing more damage. The Celtics just did the same thing when Robert Williams came back in the playoffs, and now he was out all season this year with another surgery. I told Celtics fans at the time that this would happen.

You need to take time and strengthen all the muscles in the knee and balance out your muscles. Meniscus injuries make you feel fine after the surgery, but the knee just won't hold up in NBA games.

byeganyo
Junior
And1: 138

Post#198 » by byeganyo » Mon Apr 1, 2024 3:46 pm

There is no guarantee he'll be healthy next season too. Embiid has been with 76ers for 10 years and has missed about 4 seasons worth of games.
If he can play in the play offs the most reasonable thing for him is to suit up and hope for an upset.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,944

Post#199 » by RookieStar » Mon Apr 1, 2024 9:27 pm

Uh oh... never say never when it comes to the MAgic. We better put as much distance as possible with PHI now that Embiid is nearing return.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,621

Post#200 » by eyriq » Mon Apr 1, 2024 9:45 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=dQ3zo_JVIDxEFa4sdMaJzw&s=19

Return to Orlando Magic