ImageImageImageImage

Official 2023-2024 Magic General Season Thread

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,298

Official 2023-2024 Magic General Season Thread 

Post#1881 » by Optimus_Steel » Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:24 pm

RookieStar wrote:
Optimus_Steel wrote:
eyriq wrote:
Read on Twitter
?t=Dat6CueE06ps_ohju1hrkw&s=19

The Miami record is a shocker. Turns out we are decent against good teams.

Im acutally shocked at PHO... 6-7? They only faced 13x teams in the top 10?? Where almost everyone else faced 20x?

Good point, and as I think further Miami being 3-18… so all wins came against us only????
aka: prorl
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 38,167

Re: Official 2023-2024 Magic General Season Thread 

Post#1882 » by SOUL » Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:27 pm

Knightro wrote:Those of us on this board who point out the latter don’t have any sort of agenda. Frankly it’s insulting to suggest that anyone on this board is actively trying to lessen anything this team has accomplished.

You don't....

But a not-so-insignificant amount of this board definitely have different small agendas :lol: - we all have small ones probably in terms of things we'd like to see.

I find it equally insulting when posters act like our front office/coaches don't know what they're doing either. If you took an aggregate of poster comments here throughout the season and asked 100 random people what our record is just by reading these statements, they'd probably say 20 wins or something. It's not unique to us though, the internet and most sports fandoms have been like this for a while.

You've also had to defend Mose/even the FO at times from clearly ridiculous statements from couch GMs.

I just think you can't bat 1.000 in sports nowadays in terms of team building, stars, coaching, rotations, player improvement, injury luck, contracts, etc - the odds are against you. But I don't think teams luck into good situations either. At the end of the day we're an extremely young team with a winning record and have been solid ever since our bad start last year because of injuries. We have a clearer picture of some guys because of the patient approach we've taken, but it's also hurt us with certain guys obviously, Fultz, etc. But we have great cap space and an enviable situation to be in for many young teams.

I think you're right in pointing out how important it will be in the next year or two for positioning ourselves to take the next step, which is the way harder step. You basically want to compile the most amount of players who you feel confident in their role and effort and production on a day-to-day basis. I only feel comfortable with about 5 of those sort of players right now on the Magic.

But I think there are reasons why certain players aren't playing right now and it's not because coaches don't see certain things. There are reasons why moves aren't made and the front office has also made it aware they know our weaknesses. Nobody here is reinventing the wheel by noticing said weaknesses and saying "I bet we re-sign Fultz and don't sign shooters because our front office doesn't know anything!!!"

Like I said in other posts before, having "faith" in regards to something happening isn't what I'm asking people to have. I'm simply saying saying some opinions on our future roster building is the equivalent of betting a dice rolling a 6 for the fourth time in a row because it did it three times before.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 38,167

Post#1883 » by SOUL » Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:28 pm

Optimus_Steel wrote:Good point, and as I think further Miami being 3-18… so all wins came against us only????

We aren't top 10.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,929

Post#1884 » by Skybox » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:18 am

Seems to me the bulk of the “hating” on here has always been directed at anyone with any kind of constructive criticism or suggestions that differ from their own vision or “agenda” (such a heavy word to throw around). Banking on internal development of guys who routinely get DNPs isn’t any less radical than suggesting we might benefit from looking outside the present roster for improvement. :noway:

The degree of profiling about me (maybe some others) “throwing shade” because I want more for the team is the real bitchfest. The FO has created an admirable salary situation…do you think they did it for no reason? A good fan can be impatient and critical…you do you.

Have a poll as simple as “Has this year been a resounding success and exceeded expectations?” My answer and anyone with any reasonable NBA knowledge says YES.

“Does the future look really bright for ORL?” YES

“Has the ORL FO done an excellent job?” YES

“ was hiring Mose a good move?” YES

See, I’m just a fanboy too

Differing opinions about what’s next or what could have already been upgraded or what ceiling we each see shouldn’t be so upsetting unless one is such a blind lemming that anything questioning their heroes is “Throwing shade”. I can celebrate success with an eye to the future differently…lots of teams surge, Pat themselves on the back and then sink again quickly…look at all of the teams in the East that were ahead of us until this season. You’d think such a high-volume message board would welcome differing opinions…sorry about all the crazy Fultz negativity last year…Got a lot of crap for that too.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,625

Post#1885 » by eyriq » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:29 am

Skybox wrote:Seems to me the bulk of the “hating” on here has always been directed at anyone with any kind of constructive criticism or suggestions that differ from their own vision or “agenda” (such a heavy word to throw around). Banking on internal development of guys who routinely get DNPs isn’t any less radical than suggesting we might benefit from looking outside the present roster for improvement. :noway:

The degree of profiling about me (maybe some others) “throwing shade” because I want more for the team is the real bitchfest. The FO has created an admirable salary situation…do you think they did it for no reason? A good fan can be impatient and critical…you do you.

Have a poll as simple as “Has this year been a resounding success and exceeded expectations?” My answer and anyone with any reasonable NBA knowledge says YES.

“Does the future look really bright for ORL?” YES

“Has the ORL FO done an excellent job?” YES

“ was hiring Mose a good move?” YES

See, I’m just a fanboy too

Differing opinions about what’s next or what could have already been upgraded or what ceiling we each see shouldn’t be so upsetting unless one is such a blind lemming that anything questioning their heroes is “Throwing shade”. I can celebrate success with an eye to the future differently…lots of teams surge, Pat themselves on the back and then sink again quickly…look at all of the teams in the East that were ahead of us until this season. You’d think such a high-volume message board would welcome differing opinions…sorry about all the crazy Fultz negativity last year…Got a lot of crap for that too.
This isn't that serious. We're just using the "you're haters" argument to win the zeitgeist. Keep playing your chess moves brother
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,986

Post#1886 » by Knightro » Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:16 am

SOUL wrote:You don't....

But a not-so-insignificant amount of this board definitely have different small agendas :lol: - we all have small ones probably in terms of things we'd like to see.

I find it equally insulting when posters act like our front office/coaches don't know what they're doing either. If you took an aggregate of poster comments here throughout the season and asked 100 random people what our record is just by reading these statements, they'd probably say 20 wins or something. It's not unique to us though, the internet and most sports fandoms have been like this for a while.

You've also had to defend Mose/even the FO at times from clearly ridiculous statements from couch GMs.

I just think you can't bat 1.000 in sports nowadays in terms of team building, stars, coaching, rotations, player improvement, injury luck, contracts, etc - the odds are against you. But I don't think teams luck into good situations either. At the end of the day we're an extremely young team with a winning record and have been solid ever since our bad start last year because of injuries. We have a clearer picture of some guys because of the patient approach we've taken, but it's also hurt us with certain guys obviously, Fultz, etc. But we have great cap space and an enviable situation to be in for many young teams.

I think you're right in pointing out how important it will be in the next year or two for positioning ourselves to take the next step, which is the way harder step. You basically want to compile the most amount of players who you feel confident in their role and effort and production on a day-to-day basis. I only feel comfortable with about 5 of those sort of players right now on the Magic.

But I think there are reasons why certain players aren't playing right now and it's not because coaches don't see certain things. There are reasons why moves aren't made and the front office has also made it aware they know our weaknesses. Nobody here is reinventing the wheel by noticing said weaknesses and saying "I bet we re-sign Fultz and don't sign shooters because our front office doesn't know anything!!!"

Like I said in other posts before, having "faith" in regards to something happening isn't what I'm asking people to have. I'm simply saying saying some opinions on our future roster building is the equivalent of betting a dice rolling a 6 for the fourth time in a row because it did it three times before.

I don't think Jeff Weltman is incompetent. That feels unfair.

But we're also 7 years into his tenure at this point. I do feel like it's accurate to say that he is generally a more risk adverse personnel executive compared to his peers.

I don't think he has done anything in his tenure thus far that should make anyone confident that he's willing to make difficult decisions considering he's literally never had to make one.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,929

Post#1887 » by Skybox » Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:32 am

Knightro wrote:
SOUL wrote:You don't....

I don't think Jeff Weltman is incompetent. That feels unfair.

But we're also 7 years into his tenure at this point. I do feel like it's accurate to say that he is generally a more risk adverse personnel executive compared to his peers.

I don't think he has done anything in his tenure thus far that should make anyone confident that he's willing to make difficult decisions considering he's literally never had to make one.

They’ve done very well but they haven’t finished the job and I’m not the only one here that sees this summer as a bit of a breaking point to make one meaningful aggressive move to take a leap into true contender status while their 3 best players are still on rookie deals. I can rationalize their passive style to this point as they’ve really set themselves up for this summer…cap space and picks have no value unto themselves- we’ll see.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,584

Post#1888 » by Bensational » Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:34 am

I’m just baffled why people look at our team’s results they’re saying “nah, don’t believe it”. But if we had the same results with (insert your PG) somehow the results would be legit then?

I just find it crazy that more energy seems to have been spent on telling us why our players and results aren’t to be believed, than analysing (god forbid celebrating) why we’re winning in spite of that.

“Agenda” isn’t intended to be an insult. It’s just saying you’ve got a predisposition to a particular course of action and that’s going to influence your thinking. We’ve all got them in varying degrees. But when you’re a hammer everything is a nail, similar to if you want to upgrade the backcourt then everything is going to look like a backcourt problem.
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,779

Post#1889 » by Bergmaniac » Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:35 am

An awful lot of the improvement of the team this season came not from the young players getting better but from JI finally being reasonably healthy and dominating. Which was great to see, but we don't have other vets like him waiting in the wings next season to make an impact in such a way without having to make trades.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1890 » by eyriq » Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:39 am

Bergmaniac wrote:An awful lot of the improvement of the team this season came not from the young players getting better

Ummm

You sure about that?
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,155

Post#1891 » by KillMonger » Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:39 am

Might be after a few beers I making this comment but man.... Mac mcclung might be better than Cole

Sent from my [Hands] using RealGM mobile app
Bergmaniac
Head Coach

Post#1892 » by Bergmaniac » Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:43 am

eyriq wrote:
Bergmaniac wrote:An awful lot of the improvement of the team this season came not from the young players getting better

Ummm

You sure about that?

Yes, unless we are counting Isaac as a young player despite being 26.

Which part of my post was unclear? Do you disagree that JI being healthy has been a major reason for the improvement of the team?
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1893 » by eyriq » Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:58 am

Bergmaniac wrote:
eyriq wrote:

Ummm

You sure about that?

Which part of my post was unclear? Do you disagree that JI being healthy has been a major reason for the improvement of the team?
Yeah, I disagree and think it's absurd. He's 12th in minutes played. He's been negligibly responsible for our wins this season.

Edit: I too am under the influence of many beers so don't take offense at my offensiveness please
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1894 » by eyriq » Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:21 am

Bergmaniac wrote:
eyriq wrote:

Ummm

You sure about that?

Looking at win shares and JI makes the cut

Franz Wagner: 12.56% of wins
Moritz Wagner: 11.54% of wins
Paolo Banchero: 11.03% of wins
Goga Bitadze: 8.97% of wins
Wendell Carter Jr.: 8.72% of wins
Jalen Suggs: 7.95% of wins
Cole Anthony: 7.44% of wins
Jonathan Isaac: 6.41% of wins
Gary Harris: 5.90% of wins

The cumulative win share percentage for these players is 80.51%.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,986

Post#1895 » by Knightro » Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:25 am

eyriq wrote:Yeah, I disagree and think it's absurd. He's 12th in minutes played. He's been negligibly responsible for our wins this season.

The Magic are 29-17 (.630, 52-win pace) when Jonathan Isaac plays.

They're 10-11 (.476, 39-win pace) when he doesn't play.

They're 14-4 when he plays 16 minutes or more.

They're 9-1 when he plays 19 minutes or more.

His +/- is +138 in 695 minutes.

His net rating is +10.6, which is the best on the team by a mile and ranks 10th in the entire NBA (6 of the guys ahead of him are all Celtics, who are chugging towards 65+ wins).

He's been *incredibly* impactful.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1896 » by eyriq » Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:32 am

Knightro wrote:
eyriq wrote:Yeah, I disagree and think it's absurd. He's 12th in minutes played. He's been negligibly responsible for our wins this season.

His net rating is +10.6, which is the best on the team by a mile and ranks 10th in the entire NBA (6 of the guys ahead of him are all Celtics, who are chugging towards 65+ wins).

Sorry, not buying the JI is the driver narrative. He doesn't play enough. Sticking with the "best young core of all-time" narrative. Whether with win shares or sweeter vest points or the eye test, their growth is the dominant driver of our success.
Bergmaniac
Head Coach

Post#1897 » by Bergmaniac » Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:44 am

Without Isaac we most likely would have been around the .500 mark by now (we are 10-11 in the games he missed and we have beaten only 2 teams with winning records in these games). Decent improvement from last season, but nothing to write home about, especially since we played at a similar level in the last months of last season when we weren't blatantly tanking.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1898 » by eyriq » Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:46 am

Bergmaniac wrote:Without Isaac we most likely would have been around the .500 mark by now (we are 10-11 in the games he missed and we have beaten only 2 teams with winning records in these games). Decent improvement from last season, but nothing to write home about, especially since we played at a similar level in the last months of last season when we weren't blatantly tanking.
That's wild.

However, here are the top contributors to wins per sweater vest

Paolo Banchero: 29.39%

Franz Wagner: 22.81%

Jalen Suggs: 13.16%

Cole Anthony: 7.89%

Jonathan Isaac: 7.46%
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1899 » by eyriq » Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:48 am

Sweater vest points converted to win shares

Paolo Banchero: 11.46 wins
Franz Wagner: 8.89 wins
Jalen Suggs: 5.13 wins
Cole Anthony: 3.08 wins
Jonathan Isaac: 2.91 wins
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1900 » by eyriq » Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:51 am

Knightro wrote:

This is an argument for him being our secret weapon, someone whose minutes we can drastically increase and drastically tip the scales. It's not an argument for value already added.

Return to Orlando Magic