ImageImageImageImage

Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 3.0

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, SOUL, ChosenSavior

CocoaFan
Sophomore
And1: 72

Re: Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 3.0 

Post#1881 » by CocoaFan » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:42 am

eyriq wrote:
penny_nz wrote:Anyone saying we're fine right now is fooling themselves. Guys like Paolo, Franz and Suggs are going to want to start competing in the playoffs. Outside of Suggs, who do we have in our entire guard rotation that is at a playoff calibre level?

A major move needs to be made (FA or Trades) to get a quality guard added to this squad. Center is less of an issue, we cover that well with rotation and JI minutes, but would say that's the next area of improvement.

If we make the playoffs without the play in, then that it, that should be the new benchmark, time to make moves.
Paolo is in year 2 while Franz and Suggs are in year 3, blocking AB and Jett from major roles because we are suddenly impatient doesn't make a lot of sense.
I wouldn't say we're impatient I would say we're competitive. When we were a lottery team we could gift players minutes. We're not in that situation anymore. We don't really know what AB and Jett will become but they are going to have to earn their minutes. We can't waste Paolo, Franz and Suggs competitive years waiting for AB and Jett to hopefully catch up.
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,943

Post#1882 » by Rainwater » Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:40 am

Knightro wrote:Anyone signing Monk isn’t doing so on solely what he’s doing right now obviously.

They’re doing it based on what he’s doing now translated over to a 30-35 MPG starting role.

His per 36 numbers are better than Simons IMO.

The question is whether or not it translates when the minutes go up.

Obviously. It’s the idea it will translate which I doub.
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 727

Post#1883 » by RichCollab » Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:49 am

Rainwater wrote:
Knightro wrote:Anyone signing Monk isn’t doing so on solely what he’s doing right now obviously.

They’re doing it based on what he’s doing now translated over to a 30-35 MPG starting role.

Obviously. It’s the idea it will translate which I doubt it will.

If it doesn’t translate, what’s the downside? Monk is a better Cole replacing a broken player Fultz.
Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,943

Post#1884 » by Rainwater » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:47 am

RichCollab wrote:
Rainwater wrote:

If it doesn’t translate, what’s the downside? Monk is a better Cole replacing a broken player Fultz.

If doesn't translate, it becomes a failed project where you signed a bench player to starter money. As a team that badly needs help at the guard positions and won't have this type of cap space again for a while especially with the extensions of Suggs, Franz, and Paolo coming, despite the team's youth, I don't believe the Magic can afford signing guys hoping that that it translates. Monk has literally been in the league for 7 years. He is what he is. I feel like people have not learned from AG or Fultz experiments. Very rarely do players hit another level years after entering the league.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,577

Post#1885 » by Bensational » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:13 am

Call me crazy, but I’d be bringing Monk in as a 6th man, same as he is in Sac but maybe guarantee more minutes. Monk, Isaac, Moe, Cole - powerhouse.
CarraT
Senior
And1: 197

Post#1886 » by CarraT » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:57 am

Rainwater wrote:
RichCollab wrote:
Rainwater wrote:

If doesn't translate, it becomes a failed project where you signed a bench player to starter money. As a team that badly needs help at the guard positions and won't have this type of cap space again for a while especially with the extensions of Suggs, Franz, and Paolo coming, despite the team's youth, I don't believe the Magic can afford signing guys hoping that that it translates. Monk has literally been in the league for 7 years. He is what he is. I feel like people have not learned from AG or Fultz experiments. Very rarely do players hit another level years after entering the league.

So, who is the available and no risk starting level guard player who we get instead?
Of course you don’t know if Monk makes the next step here. But it’s not like we are the lakers and get star players easily. We have to take risks to get better. I’d rather take the risk with Monk that he doesn’t get better, than playing it safe but low, by just signing a bench player with no upside like Allen. This is the summer to use cap space. Next summer we won’t have anything. So please use the cap space for a player with the chance to be our offensive lead guard, even if there is a little risk (like with all signings).
Again: what better player you think is available for us?
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,596

Post#1887 » by eyriq » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:55 pm

CarraT wrote:
Rainwater wrote:
RichCollab wrote:

So, who is the available and no risk starting level guard player who we get instead?
Of course you don’t know if Monk makes the next step here. But it’s not like we are the lakers and get star players easily. We have to take risks to get better. I’d rather take the risk with Monk that he doesn’t get better, than playing it safe but low, by just signing a bench player with no upside like Allen. This is the summer to use cap space. Next summer we won’t have anything. So please use the cap space for a player with the chance to be our offensive lead guard, even if there is a little risk (like with all signings).

Suggs, AB, and Jett all have better potential to be our offensive lead guard. Monk is what he is.
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 712

Post#1888 » by JoshuaPotter » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:01 pm

Bensational wrote:Call me crazy, but I’d be bringing Monk in as a 6th man, same as he is in Sac but maybe guarantee more minutes. Monk, Isaac, Moe, Cole - powerhouse.

Will there be an official name change Mr Crazy?
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1889 » by eyriq » Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:13 pm

If you ranked the most critical players for this season I'd have it:

Paolo
Franz
Suggs
Cole
JI

Long-term?

Paolo
Franz
Suggs
AB

Where is JI? His availability is still a concern, probably needs another healthy season before he becomes part of the core. Can Jett make the cut? Do we use pre-extension cap space for a core piece?
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,913

Post#1890 » by Knightro » Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:49 pm

eyriq wrote:If you ranked the most critical players for this season I'd have it:

Paolo
Franz
Suggs
Cole
JI

Long-term?

Paolo
Franz
Suggs
AB

Where is JI? His availability is still a concern, probably needs another healthy season before he becomes part of the core. Can Jett make the cut? Do we use pre-extension cap space for a core piece?

For this season, I'd say Isaac is arguably (probably?) No. 1.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1891 » by eyriq » Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:53 pm

Knightro wrote:
eyriq wrote:If you ranked the most critical players for this season I'd have it:

Paolo
Franz
Suggs
Cole
JI

Long-term?

Paolo
Franz
Suggs
AB

For this season, I'd say Isaac is arguably (probably?) No. 1.
Sure, time to take off the minute governor! Open this bad boy up.
CarraT
Senior
And1: 197

Post#1892 » by CarraT » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:05 pm

eyriq wrote:
CarraT wrote:
Rainwater wrote:

Suggs, AB, and Jett all have better potential to be our offensive lead guard. Monk is what he is.

I don’t agree here. Suggs is a great player but on offense he is not and won’t be the player you want to lead handle the ball. He’s a deluxe 3 and D player.
AB and Jett have higher chances of being out of the league in 5 years than being offensive lead guard. Both best offensive outcome will be 3D.
Monk is better offensive player than all of them ever will be right now, and still has upside. Maybe not better overall player, but on offense. We can’t miss the chance to develop with cap space while we have it, because of simple hope players who play g league will be better in some years. This is just textbook on how to annoy your young franchise player and make him force a trade, by sitting on your hands. This is the last chance for capspace. Use it god damn.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1893 » by eyriq » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:23 pm

CarraT wrote:
eyriq wrote:
CarraT wrote:

I don’t agree here. Suggs is a great player but on offense he is not and won’t be the player you want to lead handle the ball. He’s a deluxe 3 and D player.
AB and Jett have higher chances of being out of the league in 5 years than being offensive lead guard. Both best offensive outcome will be 3D.
Monk is better offensive player than all of them ever will be right now, and still has upside. Maybe not better overall player, but on offense. We can’t miss the chance to develop with cap space while we have it, because of simple hope players who play g league will be better in some years. This is just textbook on how to annoy your young franchise player and make him force a trade, by sitting on your hands. This is the last chance for capspace. Use it god damn.
Monk is 25. He uses 25.9% of offensive possessions when he's on the court. That's second option or 6th Man usage, and we know he's a 6th man currently. His PER is 16.1, so offensively he's slightly better than average. He's typically shooting a 3 or getting an assist if he's ending a possession, not bad.

Is he getting 25.9% usage as a starter on our team? Doubtful. We have Franz. So scale back his role, increase his efficiency as a result, and consider how far behind 20 year olds are from that level of production. Infinitely behind? Doubtful. And Suggs? Is Monk really better offensively right now that Suggs will ever be? Also doubtful.
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 712

Post#1894 » by JoshuaPotter » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:04 pm

Today I will talk irony.....

Suggs has gone from disappointment (not meeting expectations), to a good defense guy but will never develop a shot, to deluxe 3 & d player in year 3.

PG might just take him another 2-3 years. Plus there is this problem that we spent the 1st pick in the draft last year on a point guard.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,869

Post#1895 » by Skybox » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:50 pm

CarraT wrote:
eyriq wrote:
CarraT wrote:

Thank you for taking the lead on this one :lol: Good luck...I agree with all of your response.

How on Earth could it be more of a likelihood to project AB or Jett as better offensive players than Monk? Wow. I'll leave Suggs out of it because A) I love him and how he plays, B) It doesn't bother me that he's only scoring 12.5, as a starter and clear 3rd option, in his 3rd season and yet he's the anointed Golden Child of the offense, and C) I recognize how valuable Suggs is, defensively, and don't care to add "Suggs Hater" to my resume for daring to point out his present level of incompleteness.

I'm stunned at how comfortable some here are with casually "projecting" massive offensive growth based on no evidence while happily dismissing players that are actually doing it now. I'd say that AB's likely offensive ceiling is what we are seeing from Suggs now-which is nice, considering his defense. Nothing he does points to "offensive force" - that doesn't mean he can't contribute.

Maybe. Maybe. Someday...even if there were ANY basis for the assumption that AB will be lighting it up as ORL's PG any minute now, skipping from DNP to MVP...it still makes sense for this highly competitive team to upgrade now while the finances are easy and the team is ascending...accidentally ending up with too many young talented players is a problem I'd like to deal with.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,119

Post#1896 » by yoyojw17 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:52 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:Today I will talk irony.....

Suggs has gone from disappointment (not meeting expectations), to a good defense guy but will never develop a shot, to deluxe 3 & d player in year 3.

PG might just take him another 2-3 years. Plus there is this problem that we spent the 1st pick in the draft last year on a point guard.

And that's why i wouldn't be surprised if we don't make a big splash at PG this season. They went for black for a reason.... and i think they have a plan for him.... and throwing him in the deep end was not a part of that plan. But.... he will cut his teeth this season and we might see a totally different player next season. a backcourt of him and suggs could form one of the best defensive tandems in the league. I'm still excited about him... and depending on what they think of him... they might not go out and splurge to bring an expensive road block that might fit. But they will probably open the pocket book for those that they are highly confident in.
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,153

Post#1897 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:38 pm

yoyojw17 wrote:

And that's why i wouldn't be surprised if we don't make a big splash at PG this season. They went for black for a reason.... and i think they have a plan for him.... and throwing him in the deep end was not a part of that plan. But.... he will cut his teeth this season and we might see a totally different player next season. a backcourt of him and suggs could form one of the best defensive tandems in the league. I'm still excited about him... and depending on what they think of him... they might not go out and splurge to bring an expensive road block that might fit. But they will probably open the pocket book for those that they are highly confident in.

I just want someone who can shoot the ball and not be a HUGE negative on the defensive end... it can't be that hard to find but here we are
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,119

Post#1898 » by yoyojw17 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:04 pm

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:

I just want someone who can shoot the ball and not be a HUGE negative on the defensive end... it can't be that hard to find but here we are

I'm fine with a Harris being resigned or Grayson Allen. Players that will fill the roll on the interim IF they honestly believe in ABs potential. They fit the need... but can become great bench players AB surpasses them. And by the time their contracts are up ... AB would be ready to re-up
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,913

Post#1899 » by Knightro » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:52 am

Read on Twitter

Go get him this summer?
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,939