ImageImageImageImage

Good interview with JI

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Rainwater
General Manager
And1: 5,956

Re: Good interview with JI 

Post#21 » by Rainwater » Fri Feb 9, 2024 5:40 pm

Redwood wrote:
MagicStarwipe wrote:
Rainwater wrote:
Not many people do sadly.

OP said people have been "conditioned" into hating conservatives as if people can't just think for themselves and have a different political viewpoint :lol:

I said black conservatives, which really isn't up for debate. It's why four conservative black men asked another conservative black man, with their first question, what it was like to do what he did. They know the repercussions for it, and what society EXPECTS from JI given his (and their) skin color.

As for people thinking for themselves, I agree, it's just a coincidence that so many people have views that align perfectly with what's presented on TV. :roll:

Most people have also latched on to the political views stated in the interview, even though the bulk of it had them discussing non-political topics. Someone saying I shouldn't have started the thread, a mod threatening to lock it down if it got too political (and then proceeding to post the most political post in it), and then your comment which took what I said out of context.

It's a good interview, instead of scrambling peoples words around or worrying about the small amount of political dialogue within it, maybe it would've been better to just not watch it at all. If someone starts a topic I don't care about, I don't take part in it. If I don't like a song on the radio, I turn it off. If i don't like a TV show, I don't watch it. This is easy stuff.

I feel like you are being a little dishonest here. I watched the interview and it’s a good interview but the vast majority of it is JI talking about his politics and religion. There is very little talk about basketball, if any.

You want people to avoid talking about politics mentioned in the video but the video and channel is inherently political. I watched these guys before and it’s a conservative channel, politics and religion is what they talk about. This can’t be avoided.

Additionally, I don’t think the mod meant to say he would close the thread if it got too political or one could not post about politics. I think he meant say he would close the thread if it got too disrespectful which is fair as that is what tends to happen when people talk about politics and religion.
Rainwater
General Manager

Post#22 » by Rainwater » Fri Feb 9, 2024 6:15 pm

MagicStarwipe wrote:
Rainwater wrote:
fendilim wrote:It does if people respect other people’s opinions.

Not many people do sadly.

OP said people have been "conditioned" into hating conservatives as if people can't just think for themselves and have a different political viewpoint :lol:

While I somewhat agree with you I’m a black registered independent who tends to lean left but I think there is some conditioning for African Americans to dislike conservatism. Since the 60s with LBJ Democrats (Liberals) have been seen as the party for Africans Americans as the majority of them believe democrats support legislation that will improve their condition like the Civil Rights Act. And Republicans/conservatives haven’t really helped themselves with policies such as the southern strategy and the war on drugs which have disproportionately affected people of color.

Therefore, there is this idea (conditioning) in our community if you are black and vote Republican or conservative you must hate yourself (pulling a Biden) without really knowing the policies of the conservative candidate and if these policies can actually be beneficial.
GGforever
Freshman
And1: 36

Post#23 » by GGforever » Fri Feb 9, 2024 6:21 pm

Agree with the OP.
What’s wild is which party ended slavery, and which was for it. Most don’t know that I believe.
swarlesbarkley
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,156

Post#24 » by swarlesbarkley » Fri Feb 9, 2024 8:26 pm

GGforever wrote:Agree with the OP.
What’s wild is which party ended slavery, and which was for it. Most don’t know that I believe.

I don't think it's quite the same parties today as they were back then.

Which party fought for the civil rights legislation in the 60s?
Rainwater
General Manager

Post#25 » by Rainwater » Fri Feb 9, 2024 10:29 pm

swarlesbarkley wrote:

Yeah, I dislike “but the Republicans ended slavery” argument. The Republicans you have today were not the same party that ended slavery.

The parties have changed philosophies a few times throughout history. If you want to know where a party stands you typically want to look at location. The northeastern states tend to be more liberal (big government/federal goverment), while the south is more conservative (states rights).

eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,621

Post#26 » by eyriq » Fri Feb 9, 2024 10:33 pm

The party demographics flipped during the civil rights movement. I promise you the South did not end slavery.
AaronB
Bench Warmer
And1: 641

Post#27 » by AaronB » Fri Feb 9, 2024 11:56 pm

swarlesbarkley wrote:

The same party that gave inner city populations (mostly minority) defund the police and zero bail.

Whereas one party used to be neocon war hawks the same party is now the anti war party (at least the younger members) and the other party bombs the heck out of everyone.

Neither party is the same as 50 years ago.

And I don’t belong to either party.

And to show I that I am not picking on 1 party, the party of the moral majority and the Christian Coalition is soon going to nominate a presidential candidate for the 3rd straight time someone who would make the creators of those organizations roll over in their graves.

Again, nothing against any party or organization, just pointing out that parties change, so do organizations.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,615

Post#28 » by BadMofoPimp » Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:37 am

I have no doubt the complainers wouldn't say anything if a player interviewed exclaiming their beliefs that aligned with their personal beliefs. It is like a player is not allowed to have beliefs that differ from those who don't agree with them. And, I am anti-religion, but feel that Slim should be able to talk about whatever the hell he wants to. There is such a thing as freedom of speech. Regardless, I was entertained by watching it as I enjoy listening to everyones beliefs.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,050

Post#29 » by fendilim » Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:36 am

BadMofoPimp wrote:I have no doubt the complainers wouldn't say anything if a player interviewed exclaiming their beliefs that aligned with their personal beliefs. It is like a player is not allowed to have beliefs that differ from those who don't agree with them. And, I am anti-religion, but feel that Slim should be able to talk about whatever the hell he wants to. There is such a thing as freedom of speech. Regardless, I was entertained by watching it as I enjoy listening to everyones beliefs.

+1.

Open mindedness is the key
zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,210

Post#30 » by zaymon » Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:08 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:I have no doubt the complainers wouldn't say anything if a player interviewed exclaiming their beliefs that aligned with their personal beliefs. It is like a player is not allowed to have beliefs that differ from those who don't agree with them. And, I am anti-religion, but feel that Slim should be able to talk about whatever the hell he wants to. There is such a thing as freedom of speech. Regardless, I was entertained by watching it as I enjoy listening to everyones beliefs.

You can say whatever you want as long as its liberal and progressive :P
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 38,163

Post#31 » by SOUL » Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:50 pm

Yeah, it's going down the road that most of these threads do.

Return to Orlando Magic