ImageImageImageImage

NBA Playoffs Thread (non-Magic games discussion)

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,980

Re: Official Playoff Seeding Thread / NBA Discussion 

Post#201 » by thelead » Mon Apr 1, 2024 9:50 pm

eyriq wrote:
Read on Twitter
?t=dQ3zo_JVIDxEFa4sdMaJzw&s=19

they'd beat us today. I'd put money on it.

Some of our guys need to snap out of it.
CZ Eddie
Veteran
And1: 824

Post#202 » by CZ Eddie » Tue Apr 2, 2024 2:12 am

Not sure if already discussed but AI says the Magic have clinched the #6 spot at the worst, to finish out the year!

----------

To determine if the Orlando Magic have clinched the #6 spot at the worst for the remainder of the season, we need to consider the maximum number of wins each team can achieve based on the remaining games.

The Orlando Magic have a record of 44 wins and 31 losses. This means they have 82 - (44 + 31) = 7 games left.
The Indiana Pacers have a record of 43 wins and 33 losses. They have 82 - (43 + 33) = 6 games left.
The Miami Heat have a record of 41 wins and 33 losses. They have 82 - (41 + 33) = 8 games left.
Let's calculate the maximum number of wins each team can achieve by the end of the season.

The maximum number of wins by the end of the season could be:

Orlando Magic: 51 wins
Indiana Pacers: 49 wins
Miami Heat: 49 wins

Given these maximum potential wins, the Orlando Magic can achieve more wins than both the Indiana Pacers and the Miami Heat, regardless of the outcomes of the remaining games. This means the Orlando Magic have indeed clinched at least the #6 spot in the Eastern Conference for the remainder of the year, as they cannot fall below the maximum potential wins of the Pacers and Heat.
Keep your politics out of my sports
CZ Eddie
Veteran

Post#203 » by CZ Eddie » Tue Apr 2, 2024 2:13 am

woot!
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 38,167

Post#204 » by SOUL » Tue Apr 2, 2024 2:33 am

CZ Eddie wrote:Not sure if already discussed but AI says the Magic have clinched the #6 spot at the worst, to finish out the year!

----------

To determine if the Orlando Magic have clinched the #6 spot at the worst for the remainder of the season, we need to consider the maximum number of wins each team can achieve based on the remaining games.

The Orlando Magic have a record of 44 wins and 31 losses. This means they have 82 - (44 + 31) = 7 games left.
The Indiana Pacers have a record of 43 wins and 33 losses. They have 82 - (43 + 33) = 6 games left.
The Miami Heat have a record of 41 wins and 33 losses. They have 82 - (41 + 33) = 8 games left.
Let's calculate the maximum number of wins each team can achieve by the end of the season.

Given these maximum potential wins, the Orlando Magic can achieve more wins than both the Indiana Pacers and the Miami Heat, regardless of the outcomes of the remaining games. This means the Orlando Magic have indeed clinched at least the #6 spot in the Eastern Conference for the remainder of the year, as they cannot fall below the maximum potential wins of the Pacers and Heat.

Huh?

This isn't how it works at all because all of the teams aren't guaranteed to win every single game left. The Magic can win 1 remaining and lose the rest and Pacers and Heat can win everything besides the game against each other and well have 45 while they have 48/49.

The Magic need to go at least 4-4 to have a good feeling of staying 6th or better. Anything lower than that it gets iffy.
thelead
RealGM

Post#205 » by thelead » Tue Apr 2, 2024 2:41 am

CZ Eddie wrote:Not sure if already discussed but AI says the Magic have clinched the #6 spot at the worst, to finish out the year!

----------

AI is often wrong... as it is here
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,298

Post#206 » by Optimus_Steel » Tue Apr 2, 2024 2:42 am

SOUL wrote:

----------

Huh?

This isn't how it works at all because all of the teams aren't guaranteed to win every single game left. The Magic can win 1 remaining and lose the rest and Pacers and Heat can win everything besides the game against each other and well have 45 while they have 48/49.

The Magic need to go at least 4-4 to have a good feeling of staying 6th or better. Anything lower than that it gets iffy.

We know better than to pencil stuff in…I’m not comfortable until we actually clinch it.
aka: prorl
CZ Eddie
Veteran

Post#207 » by CZ Eddie » Tue Apr 2, 2024 2:58 am

Dammit, you're right. I didn't check AI's math.
Stupid AI.
CZ Eddie
Veteran

Post#208 » by CZ Eddie » Tue Apr 2, 2024 3:00 am

If the Orlando Magic lose all their remaining games, they would end up with 44 wins. On the other hand, if the Miami Heat win all their remaining 8 games, they would end up with 49 wins.

This scenario would place the Miami Heat above the Orlando Magic if these outcomes occur, indicating that the Orlando Magic have not yet clinched the #6 spot at the worst for the remainder of the year. The Magic's position could be further jeopardized depending on the outcomes of the remaining games for the Indiana Pacers as well.

Thank you for pointing out the need to consider all possible outcomes. This oversight clarifies the situation significantly.

"Thank you for pointing out the need to consider all possible outcomes. This oversight clarifies the situation significantly."

It sounded so smart
I asked it what I could have done better to get a more accurate response:

Your question was clear and provided a good basis for analysis. The oversight was on my part in the initial calculation and consideration of all possible scenarios.

Okey-doke thanks
thelead
RealGM

Post#209 » by thelead » Tue Apr 2, 2024 3:04 am

AI has a long way to go... at least the AI that the public has access to.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#210 » by SOUL » Tue Apr 2, 2024 3:07 am

http://www.playoffstatus.com/nba/magicstandings.html

Still the best one to keep track of.

Current probability right now is 10% chance, which goes to 14% chance if we lose to the Pelicans. Not the worst outcome if we lose, but 4% chance if we win so that would help us immensely.

If we lost tonight, it would've been a 28% chance, which is a huge swing.
thelead
RealGM

Re: Official Playoff Seeding Thread 

Post#211 » by thelead » Tue Apr 2, 2024 3:22 am

thelead wrote:We're up 2.5 games on the Heat for the division with 8 games to go (Heat have 9 games left)

So the magic number to win the division is 7. Any combination of magic wins and heat losses that gets us to 7 clinches the division.

We're still up 2.5 games on the Heat for the division.

Magic number to clinch the division is now 6. We have 7 games, the Heat have 8.

If we go 3-4, Heat would have to go 6-2 to tie us and win the division. They still have the Knicks, Sixers, Rockets, Pacers, Hawks, and Mavs (and two gimmes against the Raptors).

We only have 1 game left against a non-playoff/play-in team (Hornets). We might get lucky if the Bucks rest their players our last game.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#212 » by SOUL » Tue Apr 2, 2024 3:31 am

thelead wrote:We only have 1 game left against a non-playoff/play-in team (Hornets). We might get lucky if the Bucks rest their players our last game.

I checked last year and they didn't play their guys the last 3 games. Or only some of their guys the 1st of three but all bench units the last two.

I actually think it would be unlucky if they actually played, there should be no reason for them to play if they have #2 locked up unless they wanted to manipulate seeding for their advantage. They also risk playing Embiid so it's probably not something they'd want to do if they think Philly would beat us in a 7/8.
richi_v25
Bench Warmer
And1: 426

Post#213 » by richi_v25 » Tue Apr 2, 2024 5:35 am

eyriq wrote:
Read on Twitter
?t=dQ3zo_JVIDxEFa4sdMaJzw&s=19

Good bc i really dislike A gordon. :lol:
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,946

Post#214 » by RookieStar » Tue Apr 2, 2024 8:39 am

SOUL wrote:
thelead wrote:We only have 1 game left against a non-playoff/play-in team (Hornets). We might get lucky if the Bucks rest their players our last game.

I checked last year and they didn't play their guys the last 3 games. Or only some of their guys the 1st of three but all bench units the last two.

I actually think it would be unlucky if they actually played, there should be no reason for them to play if they have #2 locked up unless they wanted to manipulate seeding for their advantage. They also risk playing Embiid so it's probably not something they'd want to do if they think Philly would beat us in a 7/8.

Do they have #2 locked up? Then i think they rest em all. Cant have freak injuries when they are dying to avenge that upset last seaso
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 712

Post#215 » by JoshuaPotter » Tue Apr 2, 2024 12:41 pm

Bucks are 98% at no 2 so they probably will play hard the next couple games.

Overall this season is already a success. We are guaranteed to at least be play-in bound. Getting the tag "playoff bound" next to us is a good next step.

In terms of the future. I think we all hoped for play-ins, and we moved the goal post accordingly. This is a good time as fans when we realize we overachieved so far. Appreciate that, and lets see where the kids take it. Even if they do have a roster with more holes then swiss cheese.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,624

Post#216 » by eyriq » Tue Apr 2, 2024 1:05 pm

We got six more dubs in us?
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#217 » by JoshuaPotter » Tue Apr 2, 2024 1:07 pm

eyriq wrote:We got six more dubs in us?

I'd say it is closer to 22.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,986

Post#218 » by Knightro » Tue Apr 2, 2024 1:14 pm

Who are we rooting for tonight in Heat/Knicks?

I guess it really boils down to how many games we believe the Magic will win down the stretch.
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#219 » by JoshuaPotter » Tue Apr 2, 2024 1:18 pm

Knightro wrote:Who are we rooting for tonight in Heat/Knicks?

I guess it really boils down to how many games we believe the Magic will win games down the stretch.

I will be rooting for the Heat.

If we win our games, we control our destiny. To move up to home court advantage, you need the Knicks to lose at this point.

In terms of "believing". I'm still on the 50w train.

In terms of what I think will happen? I am not sure. For all intents and purposes minus the 76rs healthy I think 4-8 are roughly the same team win % wise with different uniforms.
DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach
And1: 2,580

Post#220 » by DiplomaticMagic » Tue Apr 2, 2024 1:57 pm

Call me crazy, im rooting for the Heat!

But I will take whatever result that happens
Trade for Jarret Allen

Return to Orlando Magic