ImageImageImageImage

2024 Draft Prospects Orlando Magic Should Get

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,393

Re: 2024 Draft Prospects Orlando Magic Should Get 

Post#441 » by MagicMatic » Fri Apr 5, 2024 5:32 pm

drsd wrote:Well: this is a great draft year to overachieve.

If the Magic gets to 50 wins and is the 2-seed in the East, Orlando is probably drafting 25th. (i.e. will finish with the 6th best record).

Maybe the Magic could draft Wooga Poplar. Poplar as an upperclassman would be a good fit for the team depth wise, if the Magic make the mistake of keeping this draft pick. Kevin McCullar is another name i this vein.

Why would it be a mistake to keep the draft pick?

It will have little trade value and Orlando can just draft someone to replace the roster spots of Fultz, Goga, etc when they don’t resign them or move them to Osceola.

Rookie scale contract guys offset more expensive roster spots. Orlando isn’t a team that can get vet min guys yet to fill those spots otherwise.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,062

Post#442 » by drsd » Fri Apr 5, 2024 7:13 pm

MagicMatic wrote:Why would it be a mistake to keep the draft pick?

Because Houstan, Howard, and Black need playing time and any rookie will get no playing time on what would be expected to be a contending roster next year.

It will have little trade value and Orlando can just draft someone to replace the roster spots of Fultz, Goga, etc when they don’t resign them or move them to Osceola.

No rookie is a replacement of Fultz or Bitadze. Indeed LLE vets are better options than a 23-26th pick in the draft.

Rookie scale contract guys offset more expensive roster spots. Orlando isn’t a team that can get vet min guys yet to fill those spots otherwise.

100% agree here. Which is why, as above, the Magic need to prioritize playing time for Houstan, Howard, and Black.

In conclusion: I expect the Magic to take the pick, but personally, I would rather the Magic trade Howard and the pick for a new starting SG.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,393

Post#443 » by MagicMatic » Fri Apr 5, 2024 8:20 pm

drsd wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:Why would it be a mistake to keep the draft pick?

Because Houstan, Howard, and Black need playing time and any rookie will get no playing time on what would be expected to be a contending roster next year.

No rookie is a replacement of Fultz or Bitadze. Indeed LLE vets are better options than a 23-26th pick in the draft.

100% agree here. Which is why, as above, the Magic need to prioritize playing time for Houstan, Howard, and Black.

In conclusion: I expect the Magic to take the pick, but personally, I would rather the Magic trade Howard and the pick for a new starting SG.

Yeah the point is that what are you trading the pick for exactly?

We agree that Jett, AB, and Houstan need minutes next season… therefore that means you are getting rid of Gary Harris and Markelle Fultz to shore up those minutes and likely not acquiring another SG/PG vet in the process. IF that IS their agenda.

I don’t mean that a rookie is replacing their production on the court…dont really know why that even needs to be said. I’m talking about roster spots, contracts, and not acquiring vet min players.

Moreso the monetary flexibility value of the contract over 4 seasons is more valuable than whatever a late first in a weak draft gets you when you know you are paying Franz,Suggs, Paolo. That’s what you gain before you even factor in who that pick actually becomes.

You are either prioritizing playing youth or signing a bunch of guys at vet min that won’t necessarily do that for the Magic. Not both.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,592

Post#444 » by Bensational » Fri Apr 5, 2024 8:32 pm

Maybe we should be considering prospects who will be happy spending a season in the G-League like Okeke, Houstan and Howard?

I’m really not across this draft class so not sure who fits that profile. Maybe someone who was ranked higher in high school but who’s dropped in rankings in college due to injury? We seem to like a good rehab project as a buy low gamble. Who’s a prospect that has fallen due to injury?
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,956

Post#445 » by RookieStar » Sat Apr 6, 2024 2:56 am

Alright... give me a legit 6'10 barefoot dude w/ AA wingspan with a high defensive BBIQ Awho can move well and be willing to be developed as a JI replacement.
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,162

Post#446 » by KillMonger » Sat Apr 6, 2024 3:18 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Might be nice to have another offensive option besides cole off the bench
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,062

Post#447 » by drsd » Sat Apr 6, 2024 9:01 am

After last night's games, the Magic is currently slotted to draft 21.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,666

Post#448 » by Skin » Sun Apr 7, 2024 1:25 am

If Lebron would join the Magic 100% if they draft Bronny, would you do it?
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,636

Post#449 » by eyriq » Sun Apr 7, 2024 1:27 am

Skin wrote:If Lebron would join the Magic 100% if they draft Bronny, would you do it?
The financial windfall to the franchise would be massive.
CocoaFan
Sophomore
And1: 81

Post#450 » by CocoaFan » Sun Apr 7, 2024 2:44 am

Husky1 wrote:From the research i have done I'm gonna be upset if we don't draft Tristan De silva from Colorado. Basically a Franz clone, from Germany too. Great shooter, has all the intangibles that we like. Just a great player. He is a senior too, so should play and make an impact right away.
I like him too. The mocks I've been seeing lately have him going around #15 so not sure he'll be available.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,052

Post#451 » by fendilim » Sun Apr 7, 2024 9:19 am

Getting a big is important, imo. Especially with the league trending back to bigs. Getting a young big able body should be prioritized especially with Goga being a free agent. We should also consider Isaac’s availability every game.

Black and Suggs look like a good starting guard rotation for the future.
Petre1978
Sixth Man
And1: 394

Post#452 » by Petre1978 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 12:36 pm

KillMonger wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Might be nice to have another offensive option besides cole off the bench

Agreed!
Both players are interesting and there some others( Klintman, Da Silva, Smith, McCain, Carter, etc.)

Imo SF backup is a position of need.
If Fultz is not re-signed a guard spot will become open.
Petre1978
Sixth Man
And1: 394

Post#453 » by Petre1978 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 1:18 pm

Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,974

Post#454 » by Skybox » Mon Apr 8, 2024 2:30 pm

If we don't trade the pick, it's definitely a "bonus pick" as we are already overloaded with youthful prospects that aren't ready to contribute to a team that is ascending quickly...that means, imo, "Who is the next Giannis/Bol home run/strikeout swing?". We don't need to win big with our late pick, so go for either a huge home run or take a steady upperclassman with a high floor and BBIQ.
Message Boar
Analyst
And1: 1,939

Post#455 » by Message Boar » Mon Apr 8, 2024 5:49 pm

If we keep the pick, the profile I'd be looking for is something like this: I want someone who can back up/be injury insurance for the likes of JI, Franz and Paolo (and take minutes that Ingles is currently getting), so like a combo forward, who fits our mold of positional size, defensive versatility and bbiq. Shooting is a big plus, but not a necessity, though I'd like to see signs that he can be at least a decent shooter. Either experienced who can contribute early or younger with upside is fine with me, as long as the juice is worth the squeeze. Obviously you wouldn't expect them to be as good as our main guys where we're gonna be drafting, but apparently there should be good role players to be had in this draft.

Anyone have any players for me to look into? I'm just skimming The Ringer's draft guide for guys that vaguely fit my above profile right now, regardless of where they're projected to be picked:

- Matas Buzelis (8th on this big board)
- Cody Williams (9th), SF only
- Zaccharie Risacher (10th)
- Ron Holland (12)
- Tidjane Salaun (15) <- this one kinda fits the home run wing maybe, @Skybox
- Tristan Da Silva (18) this guy intrigues me around our pick at first glance, though I don't know much about him
- Kevin McCullar Jr. (20)
- Kyshawn George (28)
- Bobi Klintman (30)
- Jalen Bridges (38)
- Jaylon Tyson (39)
- Harrison Ingram (42)
- Trevon Brazile (50)
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,433

Post#456 » by pepe1991 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 8:07 pm

eyriq wrote:
Skin wrote:If Lebron would join the Magic 100% if they draft Bronny, would you do it?

Along with $hit$shhow and running circus of media, drama that follows and aftermath of Bronny being regular DNP- can't play in nba guy.

If Lebron is 34 i would 100% be for it, but guy is on his last legs. And once he retires you will still have to deal with Bronny and ongoing circus of media.

Lebron's son simply doesn't belong to NBA. Drafting him, aside from PR stunt, is complete waste of draft capital and roster space, it would be like singing you or me or i don't know, Shaq, Penny or Tracy.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,956

Post#457 » by RookieStar » Mon Apr 8, 2024 8:12 pm

Message Boar wrote:If we keep the pick, the profile I'd be looking for is something like this: I want someone who can back up/be injury insurance for the likes of JI, Franz and Paolo (and take minutes that Ingles is currently getting), so like a combo forward, who fits our mold of positional size, defensive versatility and bbiq. Shooting is a big plus, but not a necessity, though I'd like to see signs that he can be at least a decent shooter. Either experienced who can contribute early or younger with upside is fine with me, as long as the juice is worth the squeeze. Obviously you wouldn't expect them to be as good as our main guys where we're gonna be drafting, but apparently there should be good role players to be had in this draft.

Anyone have any players for me to look into? I'm just skimming The Ringer's draft guide for guys that vaguely fit my above profile right now, regardless of where they're projected to be picked:

- Matas Buzelis (8th on this big board)
- Cody Williams (9th), SF only
- Zaccharie Risacher (10th)
- Ron Holland (12)
- Tidjane Salaun (15) <- this one kinda fits the home run wing maybe, @Skybox
- Tristan Da Silva (18) this guy intrigues me around our pick at first glance, though I don't know much about him
- Kevin McCullar Jr. (20)
- Kyshawn George (28)
- Bobi Klintman (30)
- Jalen Bridges (38)
- Jaylon Tyson (39)
- Harrison Ingram (42)
- Trevon Brazile (50)

The thing is... if you want a backup SF insurance for Franz/PB/JI ( which I totally support esp regarding JI ) you can eliminate almost all of those choices. You have to look at the players 6'10 barefoot at least if you wanna hold down the fort. Thats how we got by with them. Even our deep becnh Jingles is 6'9 and Houstan is 6'8.
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 712

Post#458 » by JoshuaPotter » Mon Apr 8, 2024 8:18 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
eyriq wrote:

Along with $hit$shhow and running circus of media, drama that follows and aftermath of Bronny being regular DNP- can't play in nba guy.

If Lebron is 34 i would 100% be for it, but guy is on his last legs. And once he retires you will still have to deal with Bronny and ongoing circus of media.

Lebron's son simply doesn't belong to NBA. Drafting him, aside from PR stunt, is complete waste of draft capital and roster space, it would be like singing you or me or i don't know, Shaq, Penny or Tracy.

Someone needs to look up sunk costs...and it shows.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,666

Post#459 » by Skin » Mon Apr 8, 2024 8:30 pm

eyriq wrote:

What do you mean? Magic would seem to make money and possibly get their first championship.

Also, what if it meant stopping him from going to the Heat? :o

I think it would be fine. Lebron would play PG for us naturally and he could mentor his own kid.

PG Lebron James
SG Jalen Suggs
SF Franz Wagner
PF Paolo Banchero
C Wendell Carter Jr
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,636

Post#460 » by eyriq » Mon Apr 8, 2024 8:36 pm

Skin wrote:
eyriq wrote:

What do you mean? Magic would seem to make money and possibly get their first championship.

Also, what if it meant stopping him from going to the Heat? :o

I think it would be fine. Lebron would play PG for us naturally and he could mentor his own kid.

PG Lebron James
SG Jalen Suggs
SF Franz Wagner
PF Paolo Banchero
C Wendell Carter Jr
I meant it as a positive benefit of the move.

Return to Orlando Magic