ImageImageImageImage

2023-2024 Regular Season Game 53: Chicago Bulls (25-27) at Orlando Magic (28-24) - 7pm

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, SOUL, ChosenSavior

Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,572

Re: 2023-2024 Regular Season Game 53: Chicago Bulls (25-27) at Orlando Magic (28-24) - 7pm 

Post#681 » by Bensational » Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:15 pm

ibraheim718 wrote:That kind of stuff doesn't work in the playoffs. I'm just saying.. he can't do what he did last night and get away with it come playoff time. There was no reason for that game last night to go into overtime.. none. Cole was getting cooked and running around on defense like a chicken with his head cut off. That game doesn't go into overtime if he's guarding his guy Ayo. But instead he was caught cheating towards the bucket to help guard no one.. then got back to Ayo too late.. Ayo goes around him and dunks after Ayo had just beat him off the dribble and layed it off to Vuc for a dunk.

Cole was getting his but he was also giving it to. It's fine to tinker with rotations and line ups in the beginning of the season but Mosley better get his stuff together because after the all star break things are going to get more serious. If the Magic miss the play-in or even lose in the play-in his seat will start getting warm especially if they don't get a top 6 seed next season. Because when push comes to shove the coach gets fired not the players and he's the coach.

I’m sure his rotations tighten by the playoffs, but I hope this season he’s allowed to continue experimenting even in the playoffs. I think it’s flawed to commit to a player regardless of how well or poorly they are handling their role this early in development. If Mosley sees someone getting exposed I want him to react and make changes. Paolo and Franz are really the only guys who should be playing through continued mistakes. Hopefully he picks the right matchups to begin with, but if Wendell struggles and shuts down Mosley shouldn’t be afraid to try Goga. If Moe is getting scored on more than he’s scoring, same. If Suggs is playing out of control, same. If Harris isn’t contributing, same. If Ingles is slow and low effort, same.

I just don’t think this is a season to be precious about roles yet.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,288

Re: 2023-2024 Regular Season Game 53: Chicago Bulls (25-27) at Orlando Magic (28-24) - 7pm 

Post#682 » by MagicMatic » Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:21 pm

JF5 wrote:If anyone saw the end of the game. I think it's obvious why Goga doesn't play as much. That was great defense. But good lord that offense was just so bad with him on the court. You put him on a team like the Suns or Kings he'd look so much better.

Yeah but we don’t need Goga on offense.

I’m taking Goga’s defense over Carters offense because it’s mostly wasted possessions and gets Paolo and Franz out of rhythm. Carter shouldn’t be options 1-4 just like Goga shouldn’t on offense.

Just like we don’t need Fultz shooting mid range jumpers in traffic and shrinking the floor while Paolo and Franz stand there.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,860

Post#683 » by Knightro » Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:19 pm

MagicMatic wrote:I’ve enjoyed the majority of this season (especially the beginning of the season). Wins are always better obviously and especially against good competition.

It’s not directed specifically at you 100%.

The issue I have, and why I’m starting to care FAR less after this trade deadline, is how seriously I should take this team. Anyone can just turn on the TV and watch a game and go “welp!” or “yay!” and turn it off again not giving it a second thought. Nobody here is that person.

This game is won in the front office and with talent. It always has been and will be. The offense was so laughably bad at the end of this game it’s criminal that moves have not been made. I’m not taking this out on you, I just don’t see a reason to care or take it seriously anymore. The next step will be “this offseason we will see what happens” lol no… that was last trade deadline.

You should fan however you want to fan. If the games are less interesting for you now because of the front office's inaction, that is certainly your prerogative.

But that was an exciting game with a really fun comeback. And it was led by Magic players who are still on their rookie deals playing really good basketball. That's ultimately a positive thing.

I share every single concern you have about this front office, literally every one of them. I'm not at all confident in this front office's ability to turn this team from a good one into a great one.

But at the end of the day there is no "simulate to the end" option in real life like there is in video games. The 29 games remaining have to be played regardless of what the front office did or didn't do, and with that in mind, they might as well win as many of them as they possibly can with guys like Paolo (age 21), Franz (age 22) and Suggs (age 22) all starting and playing significant roles.
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,943

Post#684 » by JF5 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:11 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
JF5 wrote:If anyone saw the end of the game. I think it's obvious why Goga doesn't play as much. That was great defense. But good lord that offense was just so bad with him on the court. You put him on a team like the Suns or Kings he'd look so much better.

I’m taking Goga’s defense over Carters offense because it’s mostly wasted possessions and gets Paolo and Franz out of rhythm. Carter shouldn’t be options 1-4 just like Goga shouldn’t on offense.

Just like we don’t need Fultz shooting mid range jumpers in traffic and shrinking the floor while Paolo and Franz stand there.

Carters defense is usually good. He was able to play guys like Karl Anthony Towns, and Bam Abdebyo well defensively in the victories we had where he finished those games. We didn't hear anything from you when that happened. He had a bad game defending Vuc and rebounding now all of a sudden your point I'd proven.

On top of that I keep pointing this out. You're the same guy who got into the argument with me in the Fultz about poor spacing. You got a guy who has superior offense/spacing/shooting (at 41% mind you) and plays pretty good defense. Now spacing is not an issue when we have these conversations about Wendell and need Goga's superior defense, which was almost completely negated from his offensive shortcomings in the final 6-7 minutes of the game in OT and Regulation last night. To me it seems very selective because once this team struggled in December and early January to generate points whilst losing you had Black and Goga only averaging 5 points a piece and effectively shrinking the floor.

The team has won 4/5 games with Wendell finishing in recent games with the team defense being pretty good keeping them at a good defensive rating. You just show up when Wendell or Fultz have a bad game to push a narrative because they didn't move the players you dislike.

I remember that "The Magic will lose this Spurs game because they didn't make a trade" post you had. And now with the starters back and they're actually winning it grinds your gears even more.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,288

Post#685 » by MagicMatic » Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:23 pm

JF5 wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:

Carters defense is usually good. He was able to play guys like Karl Anthony Towns, and Bam Abdebyo well defensively in the victories we had where he finished those games. We didn't hear anything from you when that happened. He had a bad game defending Vuc and rebounding now all of a sudden your point I'd proven.

On top of that I keep pointing this out. You're the same guy who got into the argument with me in the Fultz about poor spacing. You got a guy who has superior offense/spacing/shooting (at 41% mind you) and plays pretty good defense. Now spacing is not an issue when we have these conversations about Wendell and need Goga's superior defense, which was almost completely negated from his offensive shortcomings in the final 6-7 minutes of the game in OT and Regulation last night. To me it seems very selective because once this team struggled in December and early January to generate points whilst losing you had Black and Goga only averaging 5 points a piece and effectively shrinking the floor.

The team has won 4/5 games with Wendell finishing in recent games with the team defense being pretty good keeping them at a good defensive rating. You just show up when Wendell or Fultz have a bad game to push a narrative because they didn't move the players you dislike.

I remember that "The Magic will lose this Spurs game because they didn't make a trade" post you had. And now with the starters back and they're actually winning it grinds your gears even more.

I didn’t say they “will” I said they should. Big difference. Sorry I’m not complacent about **** like you.

Yeah you don’t see the difference between Fultz taking a bunch of low % shots from Paolo/Franz compared to AB and Goga barely touching the ball while providing better defense? Wow don’t know what to tell you then bud.

Why do you need to hear from me about Carter? I was a huge fan of him prior to the season. I think he’s on a great contract unlike Fultz. He’s OK defensively. The problem (once again) is the fact that he acts like a second or third option on the floor when he’s in. No thanks. I’d rather just throw Goga out there and continue to run everything through the guys that need the ball.

That’s funny you keep receipts on what I say though. I don’t keep any on you because you never say anything that matters or means anything.
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,751

Post#686 » by Bergmaniac » Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:49 pm

Goga has a much higher offensive rating this year than Wendell. He is not killing our offense, far from it. He doesn't score much but he sets excellent screens, he is a decent passer and most importantly he is a great offensive rebounder. He also never takes bad shots. Of course there has been bad offensive stretches with him on the court, but that's been the case with every player on this team. When this team goes into its typical late game mode of "no ball movement, all ISO, all the time" the results are usually bad no matter who is on the court.
SloNick Russia
Analyst
And1: 390

Post#687 » by SloNick Russia » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:01 am

When teams have a defensive big to guard a paint it helps to have a 40% three point shooting C in WCJ to open space for Franz and Paolo.
Don`t forget that Goga is an UFA this summer, no reason to invest PT in him to raise his market value. Hope we can bring him back on decent contract. Some 3 point range for him would be huge, something to work on the offseason like WCJ did.

Sent from my SM-G9750 using RealGM mobile app
JF5
RealGM

Post#688 » by JF5 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:20 am

MagicMatic wrote:
JF5 wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:

I didn’t say they “will” I said they should. Big difference. Sorry I’m not complacent about **** like you.

Yeah you don’t see the difference between Fultz taking a bunch of low % shots from Paolo/Franz compared to AB and Goga barely touching the ball while providing better defense? Wow don’t know what to tell you then bud.

Why do you need to hear from me about Carter? I was a huge fan of him prior to the season. I think he’s on a great contract unlike Fultz. He’s OK defensively. The problem (once again) is the fact that he acts like a second or third option on the floor when he’s in. No thanks. I’d rather just throw Goga out there and continue to run everything through the guys that need the ball.

That’s funny you keep receipts on what I say though. I don’t keep any on you because you never say anything that matters or means anything.

Complacency? They started the rebuild 3 years ago. Got their Superstar centerpiece 1 and 1/2 years ago and are trying to make the playoffs a season later. The goal right now is to make the playoffs with the core guys.

Complacency is staying pat with the same squad for 3-4 seasons. They havent even been together more than a season and a half. I'm pretty sure they've identified the problem areas but are more focused on just having the chemistry and familiarity not compromised for the sake of just "making a move" when they're well on their way of reaching the playoffs. They'll get to that bridge in the off-season when the next step is to get deeper into the playoffs where you need the proper complimenting players/vets to push them further.

The problem with this board is wanting everything to happen all at one. Someone said it previously that this is a process. That it takes time. We had some guys here who said they needed to add guys now so they can compete and win a championship. The core hasn't even made the playoffs yet and they're talking about competing for a title in this season.

Also, your argument of putting non scorers/non-shooters is so backwards. You have to put scorers/shooters around Franz/Paolo to make the game easier on them and to not make the offense so predictable and restrictive. You saw it last night where the Bulls just ended up doubling Franz and the offense was absolutely putrid. If you complain about Fultz for such an issue Bitadze also amplifies the issue too regardless of how good of a defender he is.
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,751

Post#689 » by Bergmaniac » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:32 pm

A non-shooting PG is a lot more detrimental to the offense than a non-shoting centre even in the current NBA. A non-shooting centre can still be a effective rim runner who demands plenty of attention from the defence. And he can get a significant amount of offensive boards, especially on the very common plays when the other team's centre leaves him to help defend a drive to the basket. The Clippers have a top offense with Zubac as a starter, for example, so do Dallas with Lively.

A non-shooting PG can't do these things effectively, unless he is Ben Simmons' size (and even he was more of a negative in the halfcourt than an asset against good defences). It's much, much easier to find a 7 footer rolling to the basket when you are getting trapped as the ballhandler than a 6'4" guy. And a 7 foot centre is obviously much more of a threat on the offensive glass than a 6'4" PG.
JF5
RealGM

Post#690 » by JF5 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:57 pm

Bergmaniac wrote:A non-shooting PG is a lot more detrimental to the offense than a non-shoting centre even in the current NBA. A non-shooting centre can still be a effective rim runner who demands plenty of attention from the defence. And he can get a significant amount of offensive boards, especially on the very common plays when the other team's centre leaves him to help defend a drive to the basket. The Clippers have a top offense with Zubac as a starter, for example, so do Dallas with Lively.

A non-shooting PG can't do these things effectively, unless he is Ben Simmons' size (and even he was more of a negative in the halfcourt than an asset against good defences). It's much, much easier to find a 7 footer rolling to the basket when you are getting trapped as the ballhandler than a 6'4" guy. And a 7 foot centre is obviously much more of a threat on the offensive glass than a 6'4" PG.

But youre making my point for me. Clippers have guys who can shoot the lights out and have elite offenses. Having a rim running Big works on those teams when you got guys like Harden/George/Leonard/Mann who can all stretch the court and orchestrate an offense. Same with Dallas with Luka/Irving/Hardaway. Magic don't possess those those elite aspects even with Paolo and Franz averaging 20+ points.
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 712

Post#691 » by JoshuaPotter » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:08 pm

SloNick Russia wrote:When teams have a defensive big to guard a paint it helps to have a 40% three point shooting C in WCJ to open space for Franz and Paolo.
Don`t forget that Goga is an UFA this summer, no reason to invest PT in him to raise his market value. Hope we can bring him back on decent contract. Some 3 point range for him would be huge, something to work on the offseason like WCJ did.

Sent from my SM-G9750 using RealGM mobile app

No. Stop it. Goga is not suddenly going to make 30m / y. He is a player that fits well within a system. As the team as constructed, he fits as well or possibly better then WCJ.

You made OK points about spacing only to drown yourself in an opposite day narrative. If Goga is a starting caliber C then he should play and get paid like a starting caliber center.

That just read like the kinda guy who takes the new guys fresh out of college best work and regardless of how perfect it is tosses it because if its a good idea you might have to pay him more comes annual salary reviews.
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#692 » by JoshuaPotter » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:18 pm

JF5 wrote:
Bergmaniac wrote:A non-shooting PG is a lot more detrimental to the offense than a non-shoting centre even in the current NBA. A non-shooting centre can still be a effective rim runner who demands plenty of attention from the defence. And he can get a significant amount of offensive boards, especially on the very common plays when the other team's centre leaves him to help defend a drive to the basket. The Clippers have a top offense with Zubac as a starter, for example, so do Dallas with Lively.

But youre making my point for me. Clippers have guys who can shoot the lights out and have elite offenses. Having a rim running Big works on those teams when you got guys like Harden/George/Leonard/Mann who can all stretch the court and orchestrate an offense. Same with Dallas with Luka/Irving/Hardaway. Magic don't possess those those elite aspects even with Paolo and Franz averaging 20+ points.

But what is your point? We had a pretty good record with Black + Goga in the starting lineup until the rest of the injuries caught up with us.

WCJ + Fultz should be and might be > Goga + Black or Goga + Fultz? Is that your point?

Long story made woefully short. I do not feel like the combination of Fultz + WCJ has our 3rd best offensive player on it by far. I will briefly say that Fultz gets the nod because he makes more money then Black and makes maybe 1 / 2 possessions worth of better choices.

WCJ can make a 1.2 more 3's per game, but at a woeful 2.9 attempts. Better then Fultz last year I guess. This is a very low bar when we throw a number like 40% of the time he makes it. If it was 2 on 5 attempts I would feel slightly better, but even that doesn't feel great or like it is the "answer" we need.
JF5
RealGM

Post#693 » by JF5 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:40 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:
JF5 wrote:

But what is your point? We had a pretty good record with Black + Goga in the starting lineup until the rest of the injuries caught up with us.

WCJ + Fultz should be and might be > Goga + Black or Goga + Fultz? Is that your point?

Long story made woefully short. I do not feel like the combination of Fultz + WCJ has our 3rd best offensive player on it by far. I will briefly say that Fultz gets the nod because he makes more money then Black and makes maybe 1 / 2 possessions worth of better choices.

WCJ can make a 1.2 more 3's per game, but at a woeful 2.9 attempts. Better then Fultz last year I guess. This is a very low bar when we throw a number like 40% of the time he makes it. If it was 2 on 5 attempts I would feel slightly better, but even that doesn't feel great or like it is the "answer" we need.

What was the offensive rating with those starters though? Why are we acting like they were putting up big offensive numbers during that win streak? Anyone 2 eyes saw that they struggled to generate offense during and after. It was the elite bench and defense as to why they were winning
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#694 » by JoshuaPotter » Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:48 pm

JF5 wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:
JF5 wrote:

What was the offensive rating with those starters though? Why are we acting like they were putting up big offensive numbers during that win streak? Anyone 2 eyes saw that they struggled to generate offense during and after. It was the elite bench and defense as to why they were winning

Dude, nothing I said indicated the offensive was better. It was plainly put a tradeoff or a point of how so little doesn't mean very much.

Black shooting the occasional 3-ball + Goga is IMHO not the same as WCJ shooting the occasional 3 ball + Fultz in the overarching give and take. But I digress. Clearly management, coaches, and possibly you do not agree with my assertions either.

Given the choice, I still take Goga + Black as it fits our growth identity. But this only is viable if Ingles + Isaac are 100% healthy.
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,068

Post#695 » by p0peye » Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:51 pm

WCJ/Fultz combo is clearly bringing superior spacing averaging 2.5 times more made 3s per game, while having more dunks as well. Sadly, Black and Goga are yet to develop to reach these milestones.
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,572

Post#696 » by ibraheim718 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:21 pm

The other thing I find insane is if you took your car in to get work done on it or you had your house remodeled and the mechanic or contractor did a bad job you would be livid and it would be well within reason to criticize their work even though you're not a mechanic or a contractor. Why can't fans criticize coaches? I've watched basketball for almost 40 years.. I know what good basketball looks like and know what a good basketball coach looks like. Mosley is a great motivational coach and can get his team to defend.. he's generally pretty solid defensively. Offensively he's terrible, period. His rotations are mostly rigid but then he strays into some strange line ups like the one Friday night. The good teams always go back to their starters to close games out.

All of you at some point have criticized an "expert" in something.. a Chef cooked a bad meal.. a barber gave you a bad haircut.. etc. And no one sane would tell you not to. But in sport fandom there is always some schmuck telling you how to be a fan. Coaches in the NBA are mostly bad... I stand by that. Now if you said it's probably easier to see things on TV than being on the sideline.. okay I can hear that. But if a guy is getting torched repeatedly and a coach does nothing.. I'm sorry I'm going to point it out.
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God

Post#697 » by ibraheim718 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:23 pm

JF5 wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:

Carters defense is usually good. He was able to play guys like Karl Anthony Towns, and Bam Abdebyo

This is wrong.. Adebayo used him.
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God

Post#698 » by ibraheim718 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:28 pm

Bensational wrote:
ibraheim718 wrote:That kind of stuff doesn't work in the playoffs. I'm just saying.. he can't do what he did last night and get away with it come playoff time. There was no reason for that game last night to go into overtime.. none. Cole was getting cooked and running around on defense like a chicken with his head cut off. That game doesn't go into overtime if he's guarding his guy Ayo. But instead he was caught cheating towards the bucket to help guard no one.. then got back to Ayo too late.. Ayo goes around him and dunks after Ayo had just beat him off the dribble and layed it off to Vuc for a dunk.

Cole was getting his but he was also giving it to. It's fine to tinker with rotations and line ups in the beginning of the season but Mosley better get his stuff together because after the all star break things are going to get more serious. If the Magic miss the play-in or even lose in the play-in his seat will start getting warm especially if they don't get a top 6 seed next season. Because when push comes to shove the coach gets fired not the players and he's the coach.

I’m sure his rotations tighten by the playoffs, but I hope this season he’s allowed to continue experimenting even in the playoffs. I think it’s flawed to commit to a player regardless of how well or poorly they are handling their role this early in development. If Mosley sees someone getting exposed I want him to react and make changes. Paolo and Franz are really the only guys who should be playing through continued mistakes. Hopefully he picks the right matchups to begin with, but if Wendell struggles and shuts down Mosley shouldn’t be afraid to try Goga. If Moe is getting scored on more than he’s scoring, same. If Suggs is playing out of control, same. If Harris isn’t contributing, same. If Ingles is slow and low effort, same.

I just don’t think this is a season to be precious about roles yet.

Oh so they're above accountability? You know this sets a bad example right?

At the end of games he should close the game out with the starters as per the usual. Like every other team. He didn't on Friday night and it almost cost him. If Derozan hits that 3 the tone in this thread would be very different. My point is it would have never got to that point if he would've come back in with his starters. At least comeback with your best defensive player to guard the guy who is going ham (Ayo).
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,860

Post#699 » by Knightro » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:29 pm

ibraheim718 wrote:The other thing I find insane is if you took your car in to get work done on it or you had your house remodeled and the mechanic or contractor did a bad job you would be livid and it would be well within reason to criticize their work even though you're not a mechanic or a contractor. Why can't fans criticize coaches? I've watched basketball for almost 40 years.. I know what good basketball looks like and know what a good basketball coach looks like. Mosley is a great motivational coach and can get his team to defend.. he's generally pretty solid defensively. Offensively he's terrible, period. His rotations are mostly rigid but then he strays into some strange line ups like the one Friday night. The good teams always go back to their starters to close games out.

All of you at some point have criticized an "expert" in something.. a Chef cooked a bad meal.. a barber gave you a bad haircut.. etc. And no one sane would tell you not to. But in sport fandom there is always some schmuck telling you how to be a fan. Coaches in the NBA are mostly bad... I stand by that. Now if you said it's probably easier to see things on TV than being on the sideline.. okay I can hear that. But if a guy is getting torched repeatedly and a coach does nothing.. I'm sorry I'm going to point it out.

If you buy rotten produce and expired meat and give it to your wife to cook you dinner, are you mad at her when the dinner comes out nasty and gets you sick?
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God

Post#700 » by ibraheim718 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:30 pm

Knightro wrote:
ibraheim718 wrote:The other thing I find insane is if you took your car in to get work done on it or you had your house remodeled and the mechanic or contractor did a bad job you would be livid and it would be well within reason to criticize their work even though you're not a mechanic or a contractor. Why can't fans criticize coaches? I've watched basketball for almost 40 years.. I know what good basketball looks like and know what a good basketball coach looks like. Mosley is a great motivational coach and can get his team to defend.. he's generally pretty solid defensively. Offensively he's terrible, period. His rotations are mostly rigid but then he strays into some strange line ups like the one Friday night. The good teams always go back to their starters to close games out.

If you buy rotten produce and expired meat and give it to your wife to cook you dinner, are you mad at her when the dinner comes out nasty and gets you sick?

What??? I'd be mad at myself. :lol:

Return to Orlando Magic