ImageImageImageImage

2023-2024 Regular Season Game 53: Chicago Bulls (25-27) at Orlando Magic (28-24) - 7pm

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God
And1: 14,584

Re: 2023-2024 Regular Season Game 53: Chicago Bulls (25-27) at Orlando Magic (28-24) - 7pm 

Post#701 » by ibraheim718 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:30 pm

Y'all are a trip man. Why watch sports if fans bashing coaches makes you upset?
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God

Re: 2023-2024 Regular Season Game 53: Chicago Bulls (25-27) at Orlando Magic (28-24) - 7pm 

Post#702 » by ibraheim718 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:33 pm

Wait are Magic games the spoiled food? lol Or is Mosley the spoiled food? I should be mad at myself for watching Magic games while Mosley is the coach? :lol:
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,338

Post#703 » by MagicMatic » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:34 pm

ibraheim718 wrote:The other thing I find insane is if you took your car in to get work done on it or you had your house remodeled and the mechanic or contractor did a bad job you would be livid and it would be well within reason to criticize their work even though you're not a mechanic or a contractor. Why can't fans criticize coaches? I've watched basketball for almost 40 years.. I know what good basketball looks like and know what a good basketball coach looks like. Mosley is a great motivational coach and can get his team to defend.. he's generally pretty solid defensively. Offensively he's terrible, period. His rotations are mostly rigid but then he strays into some strange line ups like the one Friday night. The good teams always go back to their starters to close games out.

All of you at some point have criticized an "expert" in something.. a Chef cooked a bad meal.. a barber gave you a bad haircut.. etc. And no one sane would tell you not to. But in sport fandom there is always some schmuck telling you how to be a fan. Coaches in the NBA are mostly bad... I stand by that. Now if you said it's probably easier to see things on TV than being on the sideline.. okay I can hear that. But if a guy is getting torched repeatedly and a coach does nothing.. I'm sorry I'm going to point it out.

I agree with you in most part.

The reason I don’t think we can place a lot of blame on Mosely is because he is extremely limited with his roster whether that’s by design or not.

Like a chef with bad ingredients, what are you really expecting from him when your best lineup is below average shooting the basketball and you have zero starting point guards on the roster? This is why I blame the FO more than Mosely.

Now if he had a complete roster, then sure. I think people put entirely too much blame and entirely too much adulation on coaches both ways. This league is about talent and managing egos as a coach. Good ones can manage them. Bad ones don’t. Getting more out of less is a the sign of an elite coach. It just isn’t seen often because of agendas and upper management meddling. Mosley has gotten these guys to buy in wholesale, almost to a disturbing level. That’s a great thing.

Closing out the Bulls game was showing his hand to an extent. Why? Because Cole is the only point guard on the roster that can play real minutes without being a total liability. Black isn’t ready yet, and that’s fine as a rookie.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,619

Post#704 » by eyriq » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:37 pm

ibraheim718 wrote:Wait are Magic games the spoiled food? lol
He's saying the personnel are spoiled food lol

It's all about allocation of credit for our performance. Is Weltman a genius executive? Is Mosley a genius coach? Are Paolo and Franz a GOAT young core?
Audi
Analyst
And1: 2,838

Post#705 » by Audi » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:38 pm

ibraheim718 wrote:Wait are Magic games the spoiled food? lol Or is Mosley the spoiled food? I should be mad at myself for watching Magic games while Mosley is the coach? :lol:

The spoiled food is stuff like Gary Harris shooting 43% from 3 last season but only 32% now.
Abra Cadabra, Razzmatazz, Slam-Dunk Sesame, Hocus Pocus, Alacazam, Gonna set the spirit free
Keeping The Original Orlando Magic Theme Song Alive
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God

Post#706 » by ibraheim718 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:38 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
ibraheim718 wrote:The other thing I find insane is if you took your car in to get work done on it or you had your house remodeled and the mechanic or contractor did a bad job you would be livid and it would be well within reason to criticize their work even though you're not a mechanic or a contractor. Why can't fans criticize coaches? I've watched basketball for almost 40 years.. I know what good basketball looks like and know what a good basketball coach looks like. Mosley is a great motivational coach and can get his team to defend.. he's generally pretty solid defensively. Offensively he's terrible, period. His rotations are mostly rigid but then he strays into some strange line ups like the one Friday night. The good teams always go back to their starters to close games out.

All of you at some point have criticized an "expert" in something.. a Chef cooked a bad meal.. a barber gave you a bad haircut.. etc. And no one sane would tell you not to. But in sport fandom there is always some schmuck telling you how to be a fan. Coaches in the NBA are mostly bad... I stand by that. Now if you said it's probably easier to see things on TV than being on the sideline.. okay I can hear that. But if a guy is getting torched repeatedly and a coach does nothing.. I'm sorry I'm going to point it out.

The reason I don’t think we can place a lot of blame on Mosely is because he is extremely limited with his roster whether that’s by design or not.

Like a chef with bad ingredients, what are you really expecting from him when your best lineup is below average shooting the basketball and you have zero starting point guards on the roster? This is why I blame the FO more than Mosely.

Now if he had a complete roster, then sure. I think people put entirely too much blame and entirely too much adulation on coaches both ways. This league is about talent and managing egos as a coach. Good ones can manage them. Bad ones don’t. Getting more out of less is a the sign of an elite coach. It just isn’t seen often because of agendas and upper management meddling.

Closing out the Bulls game was showing his hand to an extent. Why? Because Cole is the only point guard on the roster that can play real minutes without being a total liability. Black isn’t ready yet, and that’s fine as a rookie.

Wait.. they've won a ton of games with Cole on the bench at the end of games.
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God

Post#707 » by ibraheim718 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:38 pm

eyriq wrote:

It's all about allocation of credit for our performance. Is Weltman a genius executive? Is Mosley a genius coach? Are Paolo and Franz a GOAT young core?

Are we talking about the Detroit Pistons?
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,982

Post#708 » by Knightro » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:39 pm

ibraheim718 wrote:
Knightro wrote:

If you buy rotten produce and expired meat and give it to your wife to cook you dinner, are you mad at her when the dinner comes out nasty and gets you sick?

What??? I'd be mad at myself. :lol:

Exactly.

The Magic have a bad offense primarily because they have a roster full of bad offensive players more than any coaching issue.

Mosley might not be an offensive coaching savant, but the old saying goes "It's not the X's and O's, it's the Jimmy's and Joe's."
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God

Post#709 » by ibraheim718 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:39 pm

So now the personnel is bad? What planet am I on?
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God

Post#710 » by ibraheim718 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:41 pm

Knightro wrote:
ibraheim718 wrote:
Knightro wrote:
If you buy rotten produce and expired meat and give it to your wife to cook you dinner, are you mad at her when the dinner comes out nasty and gets you sick?

What??? I'd be mad at myself. :lol:

Exactly.

The Magic have a bad offense primarily because they have a roster full of bad offensive players more than any coaching issue.

Mosley might not be an offensive coaching savant, but the old saying goes "It's not the X's and O's, it's the Jimmy's and Joe's."

So you think the Magic record would be the same with a different chef (Spo or Carlisle)?
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,619

Post#711 » by eyriq » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:42 pm

ibraheim718 wrote:
eyriq wrote:

Are we talking about the Detroit Pistons?
The agenda to improve three point volume and efficiency is strong.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,982

Post#712 » by Knightro » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:42 pm

ibraheim718 wrote:So you think the Magic record would be the same with a different chef (Spo or Carlisle)?

It would be about the same, yes.
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God

Post#713 » by ibraheim718 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:44 pm

And if you want to criticize the front office have at it.. I'd be right there with you. But I should be able to criticize Mosley for the end of the Bulls game and it should be understandable.
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#714 » by MagicMatic » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:44 pm

ibraheim718 wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:

Now if he had a complete roster, then sure. I think people put entirely too much blame and entirely too much adulation on coaches both ways. This league is about talent and managing egos as a coach. Good ones can manage them. Bad ones don’t. Getting more out of less is a the sign of an elite coach. It just isn’t seen often because of agendas and upper management meddling.

Wait.. they've won a ton of games with Cole on the bench at the end of games.

I’m aware.

Do you find it coincidental that the first real game after the deadline he had Cole closing it out in a tight OT contest as opposed to Fultz? I don’t.

I’m just saying Mosely is limited. Cole shouldn’t be closing it out either. He just has no other options.
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God

Post#715 » by ibraheim718 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:45 pm

Knightro wrote:
ibraheim718 wrote:So you think the Magic record would be the same with a different chef (Spo or Carlisle)?

Insane and completely disrespectful.
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#716 » by MagicMatic » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:46 pm

ibraheim718 wrote:
Knightro wrote:

You are putting too much emphasis on what coaches are doing. Games are won in the front office. Not on the sidelines yelling to put your hands up on defense.
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God

Post#717 » by ibraheim718 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:49 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
ibraheim718 wrote:
Knightro wrote:

You are putting too much emphasis on what coaches are doing. Games are won in the front office. Not on the sidelines yelling to put your hands up on defense.

Nah.. I'm talking about 4 minutes in one game. His decision to ride Cole almost back fired. To think that Chicago had a shot to win that game is embarrassing.
ibraheim718
Knicks Forum Point God

Post#718 » by ibraheim718 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:49 pm

Coaches affect about 30% of the game.. you guys are acting as if they have no effect.
Audi
Analyst
And1: 2,838

Post#719 » by Audi » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:51 pm

ibraheim718 wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:
ibraheim718 wrote:

Nah.. I'm talking about 4 minutes in one game. His decision to ride Cole almost back fired. To think that Chicago had a shot to win that game is embarrassing.

What's the alternative you are suggesting? AB? Because I'm pretty sure Suggs was hobbled and Fultz is crippled.
Abra Cadabra, Razzmatazz, Slam-Dunk Sesame, Hocus Pocus, Alacazam, Gonna set the spirit free
Keeping The Original Orlando Magic Theme Song Alive
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#720 » by MagicMatic » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:52 pm

The only thing I can gripe about on Mosely is offensive sets. He doesn’t run them really with Paolo.

But again…. Who is running a pick and roll on this team in the back court effectively? Nobody. Which is why the deadline and FO deserve scrutiny.

Return to Orlando Magic