ImageImageImageImage

The Official Jalen Suggs Thread

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, SOUL, ChosenSavior

Sensor
Sophomore
And1: 94

Re: WELCOME TO ORLANDO JALEN SUGGS!!!! 

Post#81 » by Sensor » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:39 pm

Had to sleep on it before commenting, Lets ****ing go! Haven't been this excited as a fan since the Dwight draft, trading for Nelson and the sneaky Fa signing of the Turk.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,186

Post#82 » by OrlChamps2030 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:40 pm

I don’t want to set expectations too high, but this is my favorite draft pick since Dwight
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,043

Post#83 » by drsd » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:01 pm

zuppafly wrote:Just having those 4 guys + MCW as their vet with his high motor and work ethic, it's finally time to be excited about our backcourt!

I am assuming this is Carter-Williams last year with the Magic.

nobay
Sophomore
And1: 116

Post#84 » by nobay » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:03 pm

Raps fan here. Suggs was my guy and my experience was the opposite of yours. I heard "Scottie.." and yelled out NOOOOOOOOOO. :cry: I think Barnes can end up really good but won't help the team immediately because of his lack of offense and shooting. You guys have endured a lot so happy to see your board enjoying a W. I think he turns your franchise around in the W dept and I may have to follow your team a little more. Congrats.

Skin wrote:I'm still so stinkin' happy that we were able to land Jalen Suggs.... Holy crap bros! High 5s all around!

Sooooo.... here's what I'm thinking. TOR probably asked ORL if they wanted to trade up to 4 and ORL gave them the big stiff arm, knowing they wanted Barnes at 5. I really do think Barnes was the top choice of our FO. They didn't get their guy, but us fans... WE got the guy WE wanted! Hahahaha! Even if TOR said they'd take a 2nd rounder to move down to 5, they could've done it and ended up with Barnes or Suggs at 5. ORL played hard ball and ended up forcing TOR to make the tough choice.

I was praying so hard for Adam Silver to say Scottie Barnes when TOR was on the clock. I closed my eyes to hear it and when he called Sco... I WAS SO FREAKING HAPPY!!!! BEST MAGIC MEMORY IN A LONG TIME!!!!! LESSSSGOOOO!!!!! :D :D :D
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,153

Post#85 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:05 pm

drsd wrote:
zuppafly wrote:Just having those 4 guys + MCW as their vet with his high motor and work ethic, it's finally time to be excited about our backcourt!

I am assuming this is Carter-Williams last year with the Magic.

went from playing 10-15 minutes to likely end of bench role where realistically he belongs.
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,292

Post#86 » by Optimus_Steel » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:09 pm

OrlChamps2030 wrote:I don’t want to set expectations too high, but this is my favorite draft pick since Dwight

Easily best pick since then.
aka: prorl
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,868

Post#87 » by Skybox » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:26 pm

Skybox Bomb: Masai Ujiri announces he is joining ORL Magic FO effective immediately, denies decision had anything to do with TOR selection of Barnes :lol: :lol:
swarlesbarkley
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,156

Post#88 » by swarlesbarkley » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:31 pm

Read somewhere last night where Suggs was described as "LeBron but in a smaller, yet not too small, body". Watching that block from behind then full court bounce pass from the tourney, I'd say it's a pretty accurate description. Seems like Suggs will do everything well and some things exceptionally well. No weakness in his game.

I also read that Suggs has never dedicated all his time to basketball because of football or school. He's already great but he might still be a late bloomer.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#89 » by Skybox » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:35 pm

swarlesbarkley wrote:Read somewhere last night where Suggs was described as "LeBron but in a smaller, yet not too small, body". Watching that block from behind then full court bounce pass from the tourney, I'd say it's a pretty accurate description. Seems like Suggs will do everything well and some things exceptionally well. No weakness in his game.

I also read that Suggs has never dedicated all his time to basketball because of football or school. He's already great but he might still be a late bloomer.

Was just listening to Windhorst podcast...I knew Suggs was a big time HS football player but they said he had offers from BAMA :o among others...confirm?
swarlesbarkley
Assistant Coach

Post#90 » by swarlesbarkley » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:37 pm

Skybox wrote:
swarlesbarkley wrote:Read somewhere last night where Suggs was described as "LeBron but in a smaller, yet not too small, body". Watching that block from behind then full court bounce pass from the tourney, I'd say it's a pretty accurate description. Seems like Suggs will do everything well and some things exceptionally well. No weakness in his game.

Was just listening to Windhorst podcast...I knew Suggs was a big time HS football player but they said he had offers from BAMA :o among others...confirm?

I finally watched some of his football videos last night and he is a great football player too. The highlights I watched were more on his running and defensive ability rather than his passing, but all of that is going to translate to the NBA.
OrlandoMagic
Lead Assistant
And1: 435

Post#91 » by OrlandoMagic » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:37 pm

A few things about the draft that are just my opinions.

1. Toronto was trying to force the Magic to trade with them to the fourth spot while doing so collecting any extra assets.

2. Toronto had been set on Scottie Barnes for a while

3. Magic had every intention to stay with the 5th and 8th picks.

4. Magic would have been happy selecting Barnes or Kuminga with the 5th pick.

5. Magic **** their pants when Suggs fell to them.
CZ Eddie
Starter
And1: 824

Post#92 » by CZ Eddie » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:51 pm

Draft comparisons of:
JALEN SUGGS vs MARKELLE FULTZ vs COLE ANTHONY vs RJ HAMPTON
http://www.tankathon.com/players/compare?players=jalen-suggs--markelle-fultz--cole-anthony--rj-hampton
Keep your politics out of my sports
IllMagic04
Analyst
And1: 1,821

Post#93 » by IllMagic04 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:51 pm

nobay wrote:Raps fan here. Suggs was my guy and my experience was the opposite of yours. I heard "Scottie.." and yelled out NOOOOOOOOOO. :cry: I think Barnes can end up really good but won't help the team immediately because of his lack of offense and shooting. You guys have endured a lot so happy to see your board enjoying a W. I think he turns your franchise around in the W dept and I may have to follow your team a little more. Congrats.

Skin wrote:I'm still so stinkin' happy that we were able to land Jalen Suggs.... Holy crap bros! High 5s all around!

Sooooo.... here's what I'm thinking. TOR probably asked ORL if they wanted to trade up to 4 and ORL gave them the big stiff arm, knowing they wanted Barnes at 5. I really do think Barnes was the top choice of our FO. They didn't get their guy, but us fans... WE got the guy WE wanted! Hahahaha! Even if TOR said they'd take a 2nd rounder to move down to 5, they could've done it and ended up with Barnes or Suggs at 5. ORL played hard ball and ended up forcing TOR to make the tough choice.

I was praying so hard for Adam Silver to say Scottie Barnes when TOR was on the clock. I closed my eyes to hear it and when he called Sco... I WAS SO FREAKING HAPPY!!!! BEST MAGIC MEMORY IN A LONG TIME!!!!! LESSSSGOOOO!!!!! :D :D :D
Appriciate it. I never thought Suggs would be there. Raps fans need to calm down though. I wasnt a fan of Barnes cause Im tired of "jumpshot away from being good" players. But I think we all agree Barnes has a high upside. Obviously they saw something in Barnes to make them believe he can get there. Just gotta wait and see.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,153

Post#94 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:52 pm

Skybox wrote:

Ohio State, Georgia, Michigan State, Iowa, Iowa State and a few others.
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
Skybox
RealGM

Post#95 » by Skybox » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:52 pm

OrlandoMagic wrote:A few things about the draft that are just my opinions.

1. Toronto was trying to force the Magic to trade with them to the fourth spot while doing so collecting any extra assets.

2. Toronto had been set on Scottie Barnes for a while

3. Magic had every intention to stay with the 5th and 8th picks.

4. Magic would have been happy selecting Barnes or Kuminga with the 5th pick.

5. Magic **** their pants when Suggs fell to them.

Credit to WeHam for holding out. Trading up would not have cost them their job. You can point to Bamba(who is still not completely dead, IMO) and waiting too long to blow it up (ownership priority, I would guess) but they have been pretty damn solid. I know Suggs fell in their lap, but as you said, they could have blinked and tossed away assets unnecessarily.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,159

Post#96 » by Def Swami » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:53 pm

Suggs is probably the best playmaker on the team. I think I'd put the ball in his hands right away and let him run PG until Fultz gets healthy. This team should be good on defense. I'm interested in some "small ball" lineups with Okeke and Isaac at center and some 3 guard lineups. This roster is a lot more interesting.

Suggs/Anthony
Hampton/Ross
Wagner/ SF
Isaac/Okeke
Carter Jr./Bamba
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,185

Post#97 » by tiderulz » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:54 pm

nobay wrote:Raps fan here. Suggs was my guy and my experience was the opposite of yours. I heard "Scottie.." and yelled out NOOOOOOOOOO. :cry: I think Barnes can end up really good but won't help the team immediately because of his lack of offense and shooting. You guys have endured a lot so happy to see your board enjoying a W. I think he turns your franchise around in the W dept and I may have to follow your team a little more. Congrats.

appreciate the thoughts. people will be quick to rip other fan bases, but in this instance, there is no reason both teams cant win, both players cant develop. Im a jealous of the development team in Toronto. Siakam and OG were raw and have turned out great and good respectively. Turned FVV into a very good player. Brought the best out of Lowry.

I can only hope our new coaching staff can work similar development with all our young players.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,185

Post#98 » by tiderulz » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:56 pm

i still say Chauncey. never really considered great at any 1 thing, just makes winning plays and great leadership
swarlesbarkley
Assistant Coach

Post#99 » by swarlesbarkley » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:56 pm

Def Swami wrote:Suggs is probably the best playmaker on the team. I think I'd put the ball in his hands right away and let him run PG until Fultz gets healthy. This team should be good on defense. I'm interested in some "small ball" lineups with Okeke and Isaac at center and some 3 guard lineups. This roster is a lot more interesting.

Suggs/Anthony
Hampton/Ross
Wagner/ SF
Isaac/Okeke
Carter Jr./Bamba

After 2 years of no pressure on Fultz to regain his 3, there's a considerable amount of pressure on him now when he comes back. Unless Suggs completely flops, I think Fultz will have to win his spot back in 2022. I just don't see Suggs being as impactful off-ball - one of either Suggs or Fultz will have to get a 3pt% near 40 to play them together.

Even though I'm still a big Fultz fan, I do think this is necessary to spark some more fire with Fultz. Not as much media pressure as in Philly, but internal pressure for his starting spot should be a good litmus test for him.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#100 » by Skybox » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:56 pm

We're still in position to make a splash at trade deadline or next summer. Perhaps the BBIQ of Suggs, Wagner and Mosley puts us ahead of rebuild schedule. No question, IMO, that last night jumped us ahead unexpectedly.

Return to Orlando Magic