ImageImageImageImage

"Jonathan is having a great summer."

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, SOUL, ChosenSavior

JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 711

Re: "Jonathan is having a great summer." 

Post#81 » by JoshuaPotter » Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:09 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
"Seems like Jonathan is prospering off book sales, a new "anti-woke" clothing line, and who knows what else, by lending his voice to a dogma counter to 98% of the NBA."

But what's NBA belief system? Leaning toward domestic left wing, alleged human rights concerns etc, but in same time being sponsored by Nike ( child labor etc) , China market ( who, btw just closed last LGTBQ center, but hey ) , Emirates games ( country where it's forbidden by law for muslim women to marry non muslim -or god forbid same sex person).

Bravo.

I am not siding with Isaac or the NBA. I am siding with your point.
davey_wavy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,013

Post#82 » by davey_wavy » Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:01 am

Jon doesn't Care about your politics. He's all in on God and im right there with him
purpleswordfish
Rookie
And1: 549

Post#83 » by purpleswordfish » Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:40 pm

It's one of the weirdest scenarios in the NBA. Only thing that I can think of that's close is Lonzo Ball. I guess the good news for the Magic is that they could exit a year and a half earlier.

Honestly, I feel bad for Isaac. I can't imagine he likes being hurt. It's probably most likely that his injuries will resurface this year. But, I do wonder what could happen if he comes back this season and somehow stays healthy. What then? Do the Magic offer him a contract? If so, would it be long-term?

Finally, I feel like the team has sort of moved on from a personnel standpoint. Isaac was projected to be a starter and now I feel like he projects (even healthy) as a player closer to the end of the bench.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,931

Post#84 » by RookieStar » Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:13 pm

pepe1991 wrote:NBA athletes by default are "freaks of nature". Among whole global population only 0,000038% of people are 7 foot tall or taller.
And in nba you have 30-40 people over that size.

"Seems like Jonathan is prospering off book sales, a new "anti-woke" clothing line, and who knows what else, by lending his voice to a dogma counter to 98% of the NBA."

But what's NBA belief system? Leaning toward domestic left wing, alleged human rights concerns etc, but in same time being sponsored by Nike ( child labor etc) , China market ( who, btw just closed last LGTBQ center, but hey ) , Emirates games ( country where it's forbidden by law for muslim women to marry non muslim -or god forbid same sex person).

So yea.. it's virtue signaling and much like any other coorporation, nba only cares about money. Why they care about domestic rights probably has to do more with stock prices than human rights. But that's story for whole another day .

if Isaac wants to go balls to a wall in politics, good for him, he migh escape financial need to become some crappy scout for some nba team after he retires and won't go broke like 70% of other players.
You can agree or not agree with his political view, that's on you, but it's also not your business. But don't be hypocrit who cries about human rights while you are flexing in new nike shoes who some underfed child was forced to made.

THIS. That's why on the GB during the HK protests I was really riding LBJ because he had the gall to be all human rights/ BLM/ equality and whatever but when someone in the league also has another human rights cause that hurt his sponsors ( china-nike-etc) he wanted him silence.

You wanna be all righteous/equality/etc be it all, don't nitpick because it hurts you and your billion-dollar empire.

Same as JI... don't nitpick.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 38,107

Post#85 » by SOUL » Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:47 pm

RookieStar wrote:THIS. That's why on the GB during the HK protests I was really riding LBJ because he had the gall to be all human rights/ BLM/ equality and whatever but when someone in the league also has another human rights cause that hurt his sponsors ( china-nike-etc) he wanted him silence.

You wanna be all righteous/equality/etc be it all, don't nitpick because it hurts you and your billion-dollar empire.

To be fair, it goes both ways though.. I've seen people get mad at silent protests (kneeling) or active protesting (without looting/destruction, etc) just as much as they get mad at protest that turn violent. Hell, I see people get mad at people unionizing (writers, UPS) while defending billionaires just because they can't get their food/entertainment/package/etc.

Also this just isn't possible lol. "Unless you're talking about Yemen, China, Saudi Arabia...don't criticize America!" - people should be critical of stuff that affects their communities. That's what gets lost in blind patriotism is the stigma that it makes you less of an "American" to criticize anything and it makes people tell you to leave the country if you don't like it. That turns you into North Korea where you're not able to say anything ever and accept everything. You can love the country and not be fond of a lot of policies going on. Are ballplayers hypocrites? Absolutely. But it makes sense why they'd be more concerned about specific issues affecting their own ethnicity than others.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,260

Post#86 » by Blue_and_Whte » Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:30 am

purpleswordfish wrote:It's one of the weirdest scenarios in the NBA. Only thing that I can think of that's close is Lonzo Ball. I guess the good news for the Magic is that they could exit a year and a half earlier.

Honestly, I feel bad for Isaac. I can't imagine he likes being hurt. It's probably most likely that his injuries will resurface this year. But, I do wonder what could happen if he comes back this season and somehow stays healthy. What then? Do the Magic offer him a contract? If so, would it be long-term?

Finally, I feel like the team has sort of moved on from a personnel standpoint. Isaac was projected to be a starter and now I feel like he projects (even healthy) as a player closer to the end of the bench.

A healthy JI would be an elite defender and thus
not an end of the bench player, that would be stupid and insane especially with our lack of depth at the 4 spot.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,040

Post#87 » by drsd » Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:11 am

Blue_and_Whte wrote:A healthy JI would be an elite defender and thus
not an end of the bench player, that would be stupid and insane especially with our lack of depth at the 4 spot.

I agree, but with F-Wagner and Banchero, Isaac can only be a 6th man on this team. He won't want that long term, if he is truly fully healthy.

Right now Isaac is more of a trade asset than an actual basketball player. That said: both he and the team need him to excel this season. Orlando needs to make the play-ins, and Isaac needs to prove he still has-game.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,826

Post#88 » by Skybox » Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:51 am

I love his immediate impact every time he’s on the floor. It’s hard to even remember what 25+ mins of that would feel like. I don’t ever expect more than 15mpg avg from him again…and I still value that. I don’t think he’s ever going to be “whole” again…whether it’s here or elsewhere, but his defense alone makes me ok with that. We’ve got some big min young starters…if he’s ready, he can fill some slots…I’m intrigued by at least an experiment at Center. He’s 7’ and blocks shots, but just like Paolo, nothing in his game says “Center”…but maybe some kind of unusual schemes on either end could be fun with these unconventional talents in huge bodies.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,931

Post#89 » by RookieStar » Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:29 pm

SOUL wrote:
RookieStar wrote:THIS. That's why on the GB during the HK protests I was really riding LBJ because he had the gall to be all human rights/ BLM/ equality and whatever but when someone in the league also has another human rights cause that hurt his sponsors ( china-nike-etc) he wanted him silence.

To be fair, it goes both ways though.. I've seen people get mad at silent protests (kneeling) or active protesting (without looting/destruction, etc) just as much as they get mad at protest that turn violent. Hell, I see people get mad at people unionizing (writers, UPS) while defending billionaires just because they can't get their food/entertainment/package/etc.

Also this just isn't possible lol. "Unless you're talking about Yemen, China, Saudi Arabia...don't criticize America!" - people should be critical of stuff that affects their communities. That's what gets lost in blind patriotism is the stigma that it makes you less of an "American" to criticize anything and it makes people tell you to leave the country if you don't like it. That turns you into North Korea where you're not able to say anything ever and accept everything. You can love the country and not be fond of a lot of policies going on. Are ballplayers hypocrites? Absolutely. But it makes sense why they'd be more concerned about specific issues affecting their own ethnicity than others.

I have nor problem with that as long as you DON'T criticize others when their own issues ( ethnicity ) concerns them more also.
magickingdom
Rookie
And1: 84

Post#90 » by magickingdom » Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:12 pm

Great conversation people!!!
That the way it supposed to be.
Some of us are 180* opposite on our positions, but we still have the ability to have a conversation.
That’s what make’s American great.
I wish more people had that ability.
To disagree, but still be friends and not have to hate everyone with a different opinion.
Thank you.
"Welcome to the MAGIC's KINGDOM !"
Anti Chalmers
Analyst
And1: 2,858

Post#91 » by Anti Chalmers » Sun Aug 13, 2023 3:43 pm

I honestly don’t care what JI does off the court. We just need him to be healthy and help us this year. If he’s hurt again, his time with us and probably career is over anyways.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,185

Post#92 » by OrlChamps2030 » Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:07 pm

Anti Chalmers wrote:I honestly don’t care what JI does off the court. We just need him to be healthy and help us this year. If he’s hurt again, his time with us and probably career is over anyways.

I don’t think the DeVos family will let Isaac walk during an election year

Even if he gets hurt again I could see Isaac coming back on a 1+1. His upside on the court is like a lotto ticket he could always become a limited mins defensive stopper, and then off the court he’s wildly popular to some groups.. there’s people who don’t even watch the NBA that are Isaac fans
OrlDave
General Manager
And1: 3,017

Post#93 » by OrlDave » Mon Aug 14, 2023 2:02 pm

I've been pulling for JI for a long time and mostly ignoring his off-court stuff. And going into last year I was excited to see him; while he played he looked above average. But now I'm just ready to move on. I can't imagine him ever playing more than 40-50 games in a season and those would likely be minute restricted. His spot should be cleared for someone who can rebound and defend off the bench. Give some young, hungry guy that spot. We've been very patient with JI.
J the Drafter
Starter
And1: 306

Post#94 » by J the Drafter » Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:39 pm

The Magic have little to lose by sticking with JI to the end. The chance of having a great defensive player with offensive game is worth more than the certainty of having a decent vet or roleplayer. If we want vets or roleplayer there are less risky ways to get them.
Remember when Kobe elbowed Jameer in the chin so hard Jameer was knocked down and sent skidding across the floor?
Pepperidge Farm remembers.*

*Futurama
T-Cat
Sixth Man
And1: 436

Post#95 » by T-Cat » Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:39 pm

Read on Twitter
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,584

Post#96 » by eyriq » Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:38 pm

He's the number one X Factor for us. If healthy he is a top three impact player
Fortune Teller
Sophomore
And1: 170

Post#97 » by Fortune Teller » Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:30 pm

davey_wavy wrote:Jon doesn't Care about your politics. He's all in on God and im right there with him

Don’t kid yourself, he’s all in on politics too.

And if he thinks Jesus wouldn’t have taken a knee as a peaceful protest against unnecessary state violence then he should re-read the New Testament. Unless I missed the part where he instructed his disciples to be more patriotic.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 8,040

Post#98 » by drsd » Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:13 am

Fortune Teller wrote:
davey_wavy wrote:Jon doesn't Care about your politics. He's all in on God and im right there with him

Don’t kid yourself, he’s all in on politics too.

And if he thinks Jesus wouldn’t have taken a knee as a peaceful protest against unnecessary state violence then he should re-read the New Testament. Unless I missed the part where he instructed his disciples to be more patriotic.

Not to be religious or political, but I would guess 10% of all art on Jesus is in this sort of pose:

The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,138

Post#99 » by The Real Dalic » Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:13 pm

Okay, I'm gonna ignore the blasphemous stuff being said about Jesus doing something he wouldn't and just talk Isaac on the court.

I actually am all in on believing he will finally start having a relatively healthy career from here. We also need him, at least for this season, to be a much better team. His defensive impact is just too important.

He also said he wants to show fans of the NBA that he's more than just defense. He seems to be extra motivated this year.

He also said he feels he's the best defender in the NBA when healthy and I definitely agree with him there. That's the main reason he's my favorite player in the league. Watching him play defense is special and I can't wait to watch it from game 1 this year for once!
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
T-Cat
Sixth Man
And1: 436

Post#100 » by T-Cat » Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:38 pm

The Real Dalic wrote:Okay, I'm gonna ignore the blasphemous stuff being said about Jesus doing something he wouldn't and just talk Isaac on the court.

I actually am all in on believing he will finally start having a relatively healthy career from here. We also need him, at least for this season, to be a much better team. His defensive impact is just too important.

He also said he wants to show fans of the NBA that he's more than just defense. He seems to be extra motivated this year.

He also said he feels he's the best defender in the NBA when healthy and I definitely agree with him there. That's the main reason he's my favorite player in the league. Watching him play defense is special and I can't wait to watch it from game 1 this year for once!

Did he say this in an interview? :D

Return to Orlando Magic