ImageImageImageImage

Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 5.0

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

byeganyo
Junior
And1: 138

Re: Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 5.0 

Post#921 » by byeganyo » Mon May 20, 2024 4:28 pm

three3d wrote:
byeganyo wrote:
three3d wrote:
Post All Star break Giddey shot 36% on 3’s with low volume 3 attempts per game playing alongside SGA. He would get more looks in Orlando and I do think he’d be a capable shooter. Thats not even factoring in his really good assist and rebound numbers, he’s a triple double threat nightly. Also he has 2 years left on the contract so if anything it’s a 2 year window to see what he can do plus he’s only 21.

He cant shoot, he cant play defense, he is a bit of a star or a bust player, and so far he is going toward the latter scenario.
Some team can take him and try to build their team around him but it shouldnt be us.

You could say the same about AB, none of us has seen Black run an offense though and his NCAA stats don’t show him as an effective point guard. I know Giddey is fully capable of running and offense and racking up assists and rebounds.

AB can play defense and he is already here, he can be part of the rotation without much trouble. Giddey needs the ball in his hands and can not shoot. With him we will have 3 subpar 3pt shooters in the starting line up. In trades lets look for more sure thing, not for a project.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,918

Post#922 » by Skybox » Mon May 20, 2024 4:45 pm

three3d wrote:I’ve taken a little heat for constantly bringing up OKC as a trade partner BUT I think it’s now more evident they need to make some changes. What they do with the 12th pick now probably has been changed after losing the Dallas series. They have to be kicking themselves now, with Denver eliminated this is anyone’s Championship this year. There’s a trade to be had here that helps both teams, Jonathan Issac could be the key. Could Issac get us the 12th pick and we use it on Devin Carter? Could we get the 12th pick + a player AND keep our 18th pick still? Could we wind up with Devin Carter, Zach Eddy, Scheierman, Carlton Carrington, or any other combo of players.

I've been bouncing WCJ to OKC...he'd be great there...IF we knew we had Claxton on deck. Giddey is really the only realistic target. I think they're pretty close value-wise, but WCJ's deal makes him a plus, imo. I think they'd prefer his bulk (next to Chet) versus Isaac's slender and, obviously, fragile frame. But I'd also say that Isaac has more value as a potential DPOY-level guy...if you believe he's fit.

Another consideration is that 1) Isaac is now an expiring deal at $17m and, along with our core 3, he'll be looking for a raise and new deal next summer (or walk for nothing). 2) He's still damaged goods - it's been an incredible season but will we ever be comfortable with our ability to count on him? If he goes down, we'll all be going "why didn't we sell high-we knew this would happen?"

Isaac to OKC for Giddey and #12 (maybe we have to add srps or even DEN 25 to balance...I'm not sure)

or...again, presuming we have Claxton's handshake...

WCJ and DEN 25 frp for Giddey and #12

Both of these have the added value of sending out more salary than getting back, so our summer shopping isn't changed. We could still sign Claxton AND Monk, while adding Giddey and a high frp. I'm not reluctant to add 2 draftees because I saw what we do with them last season...AB & Jett move up and, unless they're crazy mature, one or two of our draftees go to the farm to develop. There are a few upperclassmen that look really good at those spots too and, even if they have a lower ceiling, they might contribute right away. I also expect that we have a tighter rotation as we improve. I think this summer probably puts Cole out of a job, maybe he goes to WAS for Kispert, to MIN in a Kyle Anderson SnT, or somewhere just for picks...we can shore up our rotation without adding salary.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,617

Post#923 » by eyriq » Mon May 20, 2024 4:58 pm

Knightro wrote:If those guys play well and earn a spot, then great.

I know Weltman isn't your choice for executive. You've made that clear. That said, do you really think he's going to use pre-extension cap space and tradable assets to block Anthony Black and Jett Howard like you want? I mean really, do you? All the sudden he's going to be the executive you wish he was? I think their vision is pretty clearly telegraphed. Fultz and Harris are out, Jett and AB are in.
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,162

Post#924 » by Residual-Heat » Mon May 20, 2024 5:00 pm

WCJ makes a lot of sense for OKC, but they better pay up because I wouldnt give him away for cheap. He's like the only starting center capable of making threes that would be available (assuming the Magic even want to trade him).
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,331

Post#925 » by MagicMatic » Mon May 20, 2024 5:07 pm

MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
Knightro wrote:
eyriq wrote:We've got them, now develop them. Clear a path for them. Maximize our assets.

I would agree with this more if this team wasn't trying to win now.

Coming off a 47-win season and a 7 game loss in the first round that they had chances to win outright, the time for clearing a path for young players who may or may not actually even be good is over and done with.

It's too late now. It's gone. The Magic are trying to win and the days of handing unproven young players minutes they haven't shown capability of filling is over.

If those guys play well and earn a spot, then great.

But the difference between say the Jalen Suggs situation and the current Anthony Black situation is that Suggs was picked by a team deep in the midst of a tanking situation where they could afford to roll the ball out there and let him rack up a 25% USG and all the ugliness that came with that because they were trying to lose games anyway.

That's just not the case with the Magic now.

which will make it even crazier if they don't trade the 18th pick. We don't have roster space for another rookie who will get DNP's when we clearly need help elsewhere

They either need to trade the pick in a package with WCJr or select a Junior/Senior in the draft that can earn minutes NOW in at LEAST the second unit.

They shouldn't be looking for some young upside freshman that has to mature into minutes.
three3d
Junior
And1: 86

Post#926 » by three3d » Mon May 20, 2024 5:13 pm

Skybox wrote:
three3d wrote:I’ve taken a little heat for constantly bringing up OKC as a trade partner BUT I think it’s now more evident they need to make some changes. What they do with the 12th pick now probably has been changed after losing the Dallas series. They have to be kicking themselves now, with Denver eliminated this is anyone’s Championship this year. There’s a trade to be had here that helps both teams, Jonathan Issac could be the key. Could Issac get us the 12th pick and we use it on Devin Carter? Could we get the 12th pick + a player AND keep our 18th pick still? Could we wind up with Devin Carter, Zach Eddy, Scheierman, Carlton Carrington, or any other combo of players.

I've been bouncing WCJ to OKC...he'd be great there...IF we knew we had Claxton on deck. Giddey is really the only realistic target. I think they're pretty close value-wise, but WCJ's deal makes him a plus, imo. I think they'd prefer his bulk (next to Chet) versus Isaac's slender and, obviously, fragile frame. But I'd also say that Isaac has more value as a potential DPOY-level guy...if you believe he's fit.

Another consideration is that 1) Isaac is now an expiring deal at $17m and, along with our core 3, he'll be looking for a raise and new deal next summer (or walk for nothing). 2) He's still damaged goods - it's been an incredible season but will we ever be comfortable with our ability to count on him? If he goes down, we'll all be going "why didn't we sell high-we knew this would happen?"

Isaac to OKC for Giddey and #12 (maybe we have to add srps or even DEN 25 to balance...I'm not sure)

or...again, presuming we have Claxton's handshake...

WCJ and DEN 25 frp for Giddey and #12

Both of these have the added value of sending out more salary than getting back, so our summer shopping isn't changed. We could still sign Claxton AND Monk, while adding Giddey and a high frp. I'm not reluctant to add 2 draftees because I saw what we do with them last season...AB & Jett move up and, unless they're crazy mature, one or two of our draftees go to the farm to develop. There are a few upperclassmen that look really good at those spots too and, even if they have a lower ceiling, they might contribute right away. I also expect that we have a tighter rotation as we improve. I think this summer probably puts Cole out of a job, maybe he goes to WAS for Kispert, to MIN in a Kyle Anderson SnT, or somewhere just for picks...we can shore up our rotation without adding salary.

Getting Isaac allows them play Jalen Williams at SF and perhaps start Issac at PF next to Chet. Thats two pretty damn good rim protectors right there together, but yea on the skinny side. Could Wendell play PF possibly for them?
JoshuaPotter
Starter
And1: 712

Post#927 » by JoshuaPotter » Mon May 20, 2024 5:14 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
MartinsIzAfraud wrote:
Knightro wrote:
I would agree with this more if this team wasn't trying to win now.

Coming off a 47-win season and a 7 game loss in the first round that they had chances to win outright, the time for clearing a path for young players who may or may not actually even be good is over and done with.

It's too late now. It's gone. The Magic are trying to win and the days of handing unproven young players minutes they haven't shown capability of filling is over.

If those guys play well and earn a spot, then great.

But the difference between say the Jalen Suggs situation and the current Anthony Black situation is that Suggs was picked by a team deep in the midst of a tanking situation where they could afford to roll the ball out there and let him rack up a 25% USG and all the ugliness that came with that because they were trying to lose games anyway.

That's just not the case with the Magic now.

which will make it even crazier if they don't trade the 18th pick. We don't have roster space for another rookie who will get DNP's when we clearly need help elsewhere

They either need to trade the pick in a package with WCJr or select a Junior/Senior in the draft that can earn minutes NOW in at LEAST the second unit.

They shouldn't be looking for some young upside freshman that has to mature into minutes.

Yeah I don't get it. This technically isn't even hard. Furthermore, it could go either way. People keep treating this like we need to become more top heavy. Sure, but the priority on the depth chart isn't finding a free agent backup F that can fill Paolo and Franz bench warming time. We need a PG / SG upgrade.

Basically, we can afford to go BPA imho and if they win a spot in the roster above the current glut of sophmore candidates we have then so be it.

I also think the cold harsh reality of us running it back with Black + Howard is going to hit some people here hard. In reality, it is the only thing that makes sense. As much as it gives me heart burn. I do see us signing a free agent. I just don't know who it is.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 13,331

Post#928 » by MagicMatic » Mon May 20, 2024 5:22 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:
MartinsIzAfraud wrote:

Yeah I don't get it. This technically isn't even hard. Furthermore, it could go either way. People keep treating this like we need to become more top heavy. Sure, but the priority on the depth chart isn't finding a free agent backup F that can fill Paolo and Franz bench warming time. We need a PG / SG upgrade.

Basically, we can afford to go BPA imho and if they win a spot in the roster above the current glut of sophmore candidates we have then so be it.

I also think the cold harsh reality of us running it back with Black + Howard is going to hit some people here hard. In reality, it is the only thing that makes sense. As much as it gives me heart burn. I do see us signing a free agent. I just don't know who it is.

My main issue with this FO believing they should "run it back" with AB and Jett as their main prospect acquisitions is that IF they don't pan out, then they have squandered multiple years relying on internal development of their picks instead of being proactive in other ways.

They can absolutely do many things simultaneously ... make roster decisions by moving assets, develop their youth, and select somebody with one of their picks.

There are many players in Orlando's range that are older than Paolo. The team doesn't need to "get younger" if they don't want it to.
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#929 » by JoshuaPotter » Mon May 20, 2024 5:41 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
JoshuaPotter wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:

My main issue with this FO believing they should "run it back" with AB and Jett as their main prospect acquisitions is that IF they don't pan out, then they have squandered multiple years relying on internal development of their picks instead of being proactive in other ways.

They can absolutely do many things simultaneously ... make roster decisions by moving assets, develop their youth, and select somebody with one of their picks.

There are many players in Orlando's range that are older than Paolo. The team doesn't need to "get younger" if they don't want it to.

Don't get me wrong as we share the same concerns. As big of a fan as I am of Black if the right offer drops in front of us he isn't untouchable. My big thing as a fan who evaluates and just doesn't blindly cheer "go sports" and sees all of our players with rose colored glasses is that

- we had the perfect opportunity to see what rookie black / howard could do - this past year
- it would have possibly come at the expense of the playoffs (debatable)
- we sat and already severely mismanaged several players before them, so this is a bad habit at this point and doesn't bode well for our future evaluation strategy
- Now if we made the second round, by all means, you throw black + howard + picks at the BPA at the SG / PG position available.
- We are perfectly set up for a worse record this incoming year, because management will now "overdo" something or simply put we rely on our glut of upcoming talent and they aren't ready. Not like Fultz + Harris was "oh so hard to replace"
- The primary ball handlers / shooters of Fultz + Harris + Suggs SHOULD be an easy upgrade for either if not both position. It's outright nasty that we couldn't risk playing other players.

Ill stop. You get me I think.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,972

Post#930 » by Knightro » Mon May 20, 2024 5:42 pm

eyriq wrote:

I know Weltman isn't your choice for executive. You've made that clear. That said, do you really think he's going to use pre-extension cap space and tradable assets to block Anthony Black and Jett Howard like you want? I mean really, do you? All the sudden he's going to be the executive you wish he was? I think their vision is pretty clearly telegraphed. Fultz and Harris are out, Jett and AB are in.

If this happens, the Magic will have a worse record and not go as far in this year's playoffs as they did this year. I firmly believe that to be true and don't really think it's even in question.

It would also be malpractice to not use pre-extension cap space to help address the biggest weaknesses on the roster either directly through free agents or through trades.
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#931 » by JoshuaPotter » Mon May 20, 2024 5:57 pm

Knightro wrote:
eyriq wrote:

If this happens, the Magic will have a worse record and not go as far in this year's playoffs as they did this year. I firmly believe that to be true and don't really think it's even in question.

It would also be malpractice to not use pre-extension cap space to help address the biggest weaknesses on the roster either directly through free agents or through trades.

Oh, but isn't that the point Eyric and I constantly make?

We went the safest route possible. We played guys who should be minimizing their mistakes over players who can be as good or are already as good as the players we hope they replace.

But alas. I think, you are right. I think the play here is you double down on the mismanagement of your assets, you sign someone, probably injury prone for that cap space, let them go in and play, get oft injured, we rely on the usual suspects of Harris + Suggs + Houstan.

This enables Howard + Black to rot ala Bamba. We will trade them for 2nds in the final year of the contract for cash considerations. A brilliant move.
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,159

Post#932 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Mon May 20, 2024 6:14 pm

JoshuaPotter wrote:
Knightro wrote:
eyriq wrote:I know Weltman isn't your choice for executive. You've made that clear. That said, do you really think he's going to use pre-extension cap space and tradable assets to block Anthony Black and Jett Howard like you want? I mean really, do you? All the sudden he's going to be the executive you wish he was? I think their vision is pretty clearly telegraphed. Fultz and Harris are out, Jett and AB are in.

Oh, but isn't that the point Eyric and I constantly make?

We went the safest route possible. We played guys who should be minimizing their mistakes over players who can be as good or are already as good as the players we hope they replace.

But alas. I think, you are right. I think the play here is you double down on the mismanagement of your assets, you sign someone, probably injury prone for that cap space, let them go in and play, get oft injured, we rely on the usual suspects of Harris + Suggs + Houstan.

This enables Howard + Black to rot ala Bamba. We will trade them for 2nds in the final year of the contract for cash considerations. A brilliant move.

I'm not 100% convinced that this FO see's Black as a PG, I've said it before but I think he's more of a wing type player. Lu Dort lite, where he's not going to go off but will defend and chip in offensively in time. The interesting one for me is Jett, because that pick was out in left field and made no sense. If we sign a Guard than what minutes is he going to get?

They have to move one of Cole, AB, Jett unless the plan is to do nothing. Like Knightro said the Ingles decision by 6/29/24 will be the first indicator as to what the FO will do in FA.
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#933 » by eyriq » Mon May 20, 2024 6:36 pm

With five lotto talents on rookie scale contracts the growth engine for this team is internal development.

We improve because our lotto talents develop. +12 & +13 wins because lotto talent developed.

Yes, we have player acquisition tools available but we need to realize that pre-extension cap space, draft equity, and controllable contracts aren't going to deliver as much sustainable long-term growth as internal development will.

Yes, development isn't linear, and we aren't guaranteed another double-digit win improvement, but we certainly aren't guaranteed regression. That is ridiculous.

This off-season, to varying degrees, is going to have some rearranging of deck chairs but it's insignificant in the face of developing our Lotto talents. I believe that and I think our focus should still be on internal development over anything else. Doing otherwise is negligence. It's short-sighted. It's rushed. It's malpractice.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,972

Post#934 » by Knightro » Mon May 20, 2024 6:52 pm

eyriq wrote:With five lotto talents on rookie scale contracts the growth engine for this team is internal development.

We improve because our lotto talents develop. +12 & +13 wins because lotto talent developed.

Yes, we have player acquisition tools available but we need to realize that pre-extension cap space, draft equity, and controllable contracts aren't going to deliver as much sustainable long-term growth as internal development will.

Yes, development isn't linear, and we aren't guaranteed another double-digit win improvement, but we certainly aren't guaranteed regression. That is ridiculous.

This off-season, to varying degrees, is going to have some rearranging of deck chairs but it's insignificant in the face of developing our Lotto talents. I believe that and I think our focus should still be on internal development over anything else. Doing otherwise is negligence. It's short-sighted. It's rushed. It's malpractice.

It's just not an either or scenario man.

You're acting like the Magic can only choose internal development or player acquisition and it's quite clear they can - and more specifically should - do both.

I would like to see Anthony Black be in the rotation next season. I would like him to play every game and develop.

But I do not want him to start and be stretched beyond his capabilities as an inexperienced and raw player because that will hurt the team and I'm not in the business of hurting the team at this point when we have other guys who are quite frankly more important than AB and also ready to win right now.

Especially when I know there are players out there the Magic could bring in who will help their already established young guys (Paolo, Franz and Suggs) play better and play in even more meaningful games.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#935 » by Skybox » Mon May 20, 2024 7:10 pm

Knightro wrote:
eyriq wrote:With five lotto talents on rookie scale contracts the growth engine for this team is internal development.

It's just not an either or scenario man.

You're acting like the Magic can only choose internal development or player acquisition and it's quite clear they can - and more specifically should - do both.

I would like to see Anthony Black be in the rotation next season. I would like him to play every game and develop.

But I do not want him to start and be stretched beyond his capabilities as an inexperienced and raw player because that will hurt the team and I'm not in the business of hurting the team at this point when we have other guys who are quite frankly more important than AB and also ready to win right now.

Especially when I know there are players out there the Magic could bring in who will help their already established young guys (Paolo, Franz and Suggs) play better and play in even more meaningful games.

Agree...and, to go a step further, if they're not playing a bit more next season - we blew the last draft we "owned" with two lotto picks (at least, hopefully, for a while)...they should play and contribute but in no way does this negate our need to go get established talent with our ton of cap space and roster spots...Knightro has used the word "malpractice" which I think is apt. ORL's vision of a "two timeline" roster is NOTHING like GSW's failed one, where some of the old HOFer's fell apart before the youth cavalry arrived. We have the incredible luxury that our two timelines are nearly the same age - just some arrived readier than others. I hope we send Cole out for another pick and grab two older draftees...Terrence Shannon, Baylor Schiermann, Tristan da Silva, and Devin Carter are all older than our two recent rookies. Our roster should tighten anyway, so between Osceola and our bench, there's room for more. We don't need to be going 12 deep anymore...I'm questioning the Jett/AB hibernation as rookies, but I also appreciate that it may have been the plan all along as a new way of developing these "one and not-really-done" guys that are just raw children coming out of college. But I don't know that and before some chime in - neither do you.

One more thing...enough already...let's make some trades on this thread before I call a Mod :D
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,426

Post#936 » by pepe1991 » Mon May 20, 2024 7:52 pm

Focusing on internal growth in last year where salary cap is your asset would be most idiotic decision that will hunt you for years.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Skybox
RealGM

Post#937 » by Skybox » Mon May 20, 2024 8:05 pm

pepe1991 wrote:Focusing on internal growth in last year where salary cap is your asset would be most idiotic decision that will hunt you for years.

Bless you sir..."and-1" wasn't nearly enough.

Imagine setting up all your contracts to come together at JUST the right time, have your draft picks intact, and your team ahead of schedule and then just ...nothing?
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,426

Post#938 » by pepe1991 » Mon May 20, 2024 8:20 pm

Skybox wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:Focusing on internal growth in last year where salary cap is your asset would be most idiotic decision that will hunt you for years.

Imagine setting up all your contracts to come together at JUST the right time, have your draft picks intact, and your team ahead of schedule and then just ...nothing?

Imagine if Wolves, instad of adding Gobert and Conley, made decision to , i don't know, develop some random no name Leonardo Bolmaro and Jaylen Nowell :lol:
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#939 » by eyriq » Mon May 20, 2024 8:21 pm

I pasted in most of our trade guru, skybox, trades into chatgpt and asked for a lists of most likely to be traded and acquired.

### Most Likely to Be Traded

1. Cole Anthony
- Frequent mention as a trade asset for various teams.
- Potential destinations: Washington, Minnesota, Sacramento, San Antonio.

2. Jonathan Isaac
- His injury history and expiring contract make him a likely candidate for trades.
- Potential destinations: OKC, New Orleans, Atlanta.

3. Wendell Carter Jr.
- Valuable as a trade piece due to his favorable contract and on-court performance.
- Potential destinations: OKC, Atlanta.

4. Jett Howard
- Seen as a young talent that can be leveraged for more established players or higher picks.
- Potential destinations: Detroit, Portland, New Orleans.

5. Franz Wagner
- Although less likely, he is mentioned in significant trades for high-value returns.
- Potential destinations: Cleveland, Atlanta.

### Most Likely to Be Acquired

1. Nic Claxton
- Frequently mentioned as a top free-agent target to solidify the center position.
- Potential signing through free agency.

2. Malik Monk
- Targeted for his scoring ability and fit in the guard rotation.

3. Josh Giddey
- Seen as a valuable young player with versatility, targeted in trades involving WCJ.
- Potential acquisition from OKC.

4. Dejounte Murray
- Targeted for his defensive prowess and playmaking ability.
- Potential acquisition from Atlanta.

5. Brandon Ingram
- Considered for his high-level scoring and playmaking.
- Potential acquisition from New Orleans.

6. Corey Kispert
- Viewed as a reliable shooter and potential role player.
- Potential acquisition from Washington.

7. Kyle Anderson
- Mentioned as a veteran presence to add versatility and experience.
- Potential acquisition from Minnesota through a sign-and-trade.

8. Gordon Hayward
- Seen as a veteran with high basketball IQ to bolster the forward position.

9. Kris Dunn
- Targeted for depth and defensive intensity in the backcourt.
- Potential signing through a veteran minimum deal.
JoshuaPotter
Starter

Post#940 » by JoshuaPotter » Mon May 20, 2024 8:27 pm

pepe1991 wrote:
Skybox wrote:

Imagine if Wolves, instad of adding Gobert and Conley, made decision to , i don't know, develop some random no name Leonardo Bolmaro and Jaylen Nowell :lol:

But that has been the play hasn't it?

Return to Orlando Magic