ImageImageImageImage

Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 5.0

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

sChOlaRlY_Magi
Sixth Man
And1: 344

Re: Official Summer 2024 Magic Free Agency and Trade Ideas Thread 5.0 

Post#981 » by sChOlaRlY_Magi » Tue May 21, 2024 8:18 pm

So, who would be the ideal, and realistic best point guard available via trade or Free agency?

D-LO
Giddey
D Murray
MagicTownBaller
Veteran
And1: 418

Post#982 » by MagicTownBaller » Tue May 21, 2024 8:19 pm

sChOlaRlY_Magi wrote:So, who would be the ideal, and realistic best point guard available via trade or Free agency?

D-LO
Giddey
D Murray

DLo is the most realistic and we can get him without giving up pieces.
Not changing this Sig until the Orlando Magic win a championship (Technically Started 1-30-08)
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 600

Post#983 » by MasterGMer » Tue May 21, 2024 8:22 pm

MagicTownBaller wrote:
sChOlaRlY_Magi wrote:So, who would be the ideal, and realistic best point guard available via trade or Free agency?

D-LO
Giddey
D Murray

I like DLo too. Could be the cheapest to get and easiest to get. Good 3 pt shooter. Can come in and start right away also. Which means Fultz and Harris are gone. Addition by subtraction
meatwad4343
Bench Warmer
And1: 300

Post#984 » by meatwad4343 » Tue May 21, 2024 8:26 pm

I didn't look so I don't know how the cap would or if it works, but what if we signed claxton as our rim protecter/defensive anchor, traded Wendell, our first this year and Denvers first next year plus Jett. No idea if that works out under the cap but I can dream. Of course I suppose this doesn't really give us a true point guard

Simons
Suggs
Franz
Paulo
Claxton
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,162

Post#985 » by Residual-Heat » Tue May 21, 2024 8:28 pm

D-LO
Giddey
D Murray

Murray is easily the best player of the three. It just depends on how much we have to give up to get him.
Residual-Heat
Sixth Man
And1: 1,162

Post#986 » by Residual-Heat » Tue May 21, 2024 8:30 pm

WCJ+ 2 or 3 1sts for Murray. (Rumours were that the Hawks were asking for 2 1sts and a starter).

Murray
Suggs
Franz
Paolo
Claxton

Defense should be ridiculous. Shooting improvement will have to come from Franz and Paolo.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,942

Post#987 » by RookieStar » Tue May 21, 2024 8:33 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
MagicTownBaller wrote:
Read on Twitter

So what you are saying is that we need to somehow land Jrue, Caruso, or White. I agree.

Why so humble? Look higher. We need to land Vic and AD to complete our jumbo lineup
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,201

Post#988 » by tiderulz » Tue May 21, 2024 8:43 pm

MasterGMer wrote:
MagicTownBaller wrote:

D-LO
Giddey
D Murray

I like DLo too. Could be the cheapest to get and easiest to get. Good 3 pt shooter. Can come in and start right away also. Which means Fultz and Harris are gone. Addition by subtraction

good offensive skillset, horrible defensively and weak mentally.
RichCollab
Starter
And1: 728

Post#989 » by RichCollab » Tue May 21, 2024 8:49 pm

D Lo would be a cancer for this team’s young core. We aren’t going to go that far away from our DNA.
RichCollab
Starter

Post#990 » by RichCollab » Tue May 21, 2024 8:50 pm

Residual-Heat wrote:WCJ+ 2 or 3 1sts for Murray. (Rumours were that the Hawks were asking for 2 1sts and a starter).

Murray
Suggs
Franz
Paolo
Claxton

Defense should be ridiculous. Shooting improvement will have to come from Franz and Paolo.

ATL keeps Murray and moves on from Trae.
MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 600

Post#991 » by MasterGMer » Tue May 21, 2024 8:54 pm

RichCollab wrote:
Residual-Heat wrote:WCJ+ 2 or 3 1sts for Murray. (Rumours were that the Hawks were asking for 2 1sts and a starter).

Murray
Suggs
Franz
Paolo
Claxton

I want the Hawks to trade Murray, also. But we can buckle up from free agency why bother the trade market. TBH, I want Murray more than Young and Malik Monk.
Black and Blue
Sixth Man
And1: 1,462

Post#992 » by Black and Blue » Tue May 21, 2024 8:57 pm

Every single thing I've read about Claxton is that the Nets have him as their number 1 priority to resign and they aren't letting him leave. They have said they want to build the team around him. He has been included on so many offseason predictions on this board, I think it may be wise to temper expectations on him being available unless it's a huge overpay. The Nets are going to do everything to make him happy.

I also would temper expectations on the Thunder giving away Giddey cheaply. He is only 21 and is continuing to grow into being an NBA player. Yes he has flaws but the Thunder don't usually give away young players with upside unless they have to do so or see something extremely problematic.

Deangelo Russell is so not a culture fit to me. I would be quite confused if the Magic acquired him. He does not take anything seriously and acts like a child despite the fact he is almost 29.

Sorry to roll in here and pour some cold water on these various takes, but these names getting thrown around would take some gymnastics to see how they wind up on the Magic. I'll add that WCJ actually helped his stock on the team in the playoffs, so the likelihood that the team jettisons him (and his great deal) in a trade went DOWN since the end of the regular season.

The Magic and Sixers are going to be linked to any free agent out there by agents because they have money to spend. If anything, the fact Monk's agent HASN'T said a word about the Magic make it seem more likely there is something there. I'll also add that you all should look on the Sixers board because a lot of the same players that Magic fans assume are coming here they assume are going there.
RichCollab
Starter

Post#993 » by RichCollab » Tue May 21, 2024 9:07 pm

Giddey makes zero sense. Not a good shooter or good on defense.
Audi
Analyst
And1: 2,836

Post#994 » by Audi » Tue May 21, 2024 9:11 pm

Worst part of the offseason for Magic fans is watching all these 'league sources' (aka: agents) linking our interest to their clients because they know our FO doesn't leak a damned thing and silence doesn't push back on whatever agenda they are forwarding.
Abra Cadabra, Razzmatazz, Slam-Dunk Sesame, Hocus Pocus, Alacazam, Gonna set the spirit free
Keeping The Original Orlando Magic Theme Song Alive
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,918

Post#995 » by Skybox » Tue May 21, 2024 9:31 pm

Black and Blue wrote:Every single thing I've read about Claxton is that the Nets have him as their number 1 priority to resign and they aren't letting him leave. They have said they want to build the team around him. He has been included on so many offseason predictions on this board, I think it may be wise to temper expectations on him being available unless it's a huge overpay. The Nets are going to do everything to make him happy.

I also would temper expectations on the Thunder giving away Giddey cheaply. He is only 21 and is continuing to grow into being an NBA player. Yes he has flaws but the Thunder don't usually give away young players with upside unless they have to do so or see something extremely problematic.

Deangelo Russell is so not a culture fit to me. I would be quite confused if the Magic acquired him. He does not take anything seriously and acts like a child despite the fact he is almost 29.

Sorry to roll in here and pour some cold water on these various takes, but these names getting thrown around would take some gymnastics to see how they wind up on the Magic. I'll add that WCJ actually helped his stock on the team in the playoffs, so the likelihood that the team jettisons him (and his great deal) in a trade went DOWN since the end of the regular season.

The Magic and Sixers are going to be linked to any free agent out there by agents because they have money to spend. If anything, the fact Monk's agent HASN'T said a word about the Magic make it seem more likely there is something there. I'll also add that you all should look on the Sixers board because a lot of the same players that Magic fans assume are coming here they assume are going there.

Nets are down to the bones (other than Bridges) who's not at his own high level either...they could either blow it up or double down on Claxton. I think he's really good, but extremely limited in some ways...I think he's a real candidate for an overpay - so if it came down to a bidding war heading much above $20m per...I'm probably out. I expect BRK pays him $25m quickly and takes him out of the conversation, which may be a regrettable move...if they do it on a descending scale, given they've got another year of Simmons' deal, that might work out well next summer or at the TD.

Jarrett Allen would be an even better choice, but I don't know that we have CLE-friendly win-now pieces (although WCJ at the 4 makes more sense than Mobley/Allen)...I'd happily add picks and Cole or Jett or something...then we could turn our attention to free agent shopping for our backcourt.

After Allen and Claxton...I'd probably just roll with WCJ and maybe draft a C prospect.
ogmagicfan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,770

Post#996 » by ogmagicfan » Tue May 21, 2024 9:42 pm

If we trade WCJ for Giddey I'll go psycho

I wouldnt care if we got 1 or even 2 1sts in that trade as well

Giddey is a poor defender and shooter, after playing 3 seasons in the NBA. He isn't a good athlete, his greatest skill is passing.

Idk how seeing him getting played off the court in the Mavs series didnt show he is barely a rotational player in the NBA at this time.

For all the uproar about how the Magic need to make moves to help us win now instead of letting our cap space etc go to waste (which I agree on), I'd much rather see the ball in Anthony Black's hands than Giddey off the bench since he provides alot more in shooting/defense

WCJ for all the hate on him, was playing with a hurt hand all year, and it makes sense when you see how poor his hands were this season with catching the ball on rebounds/entry passes. Very few available bigs are around who can shoot from 3 and defend like him

If we trade him in the trade for Dejounte Murray and get Hartenstein, okay cool. But trading him for Giddey is the kinda **** that would drive me crazy
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,124

Post#997 » by yoyojw17 » Tue May 21, 2024 9:51 pm

https://www.si.com/nba/magic/news/orlando-magic-report-cards-goga-bitadze-flashes-potential

"I got waived and these guys picked me up off of waivers," Bitadze said at exit interviews on May 6. "I didn't even know if I was going to stay in the league. I was already thinking about going back to Europe and these guys just took me in with open arms. This is the home [where] I want to be in. If it comes down to that and I'm still here, I would be really happy."

Bitadze proved this season that he belongs in the NBA, and he could have interest around the league. The Magic would like to bring him back, but they likely won't give him too much of his well-deserved raise given his role on the team.

Perhaps a rival may offer a bigger role with more money that will allow Bitadze to flash the potential he showed earlier in the year

We'll see how this plays out. Returning Goga in a more prominent role if we trade Wendell wouldn't be a bad idea either. He might be a cheaper option to a nic claxton or hartenstein... while having similar impacts. Imagine him going into the season as a rotation player.... or starter. And yes... i know he went to the bench full time with black.... but i still think the FO think highly of them both.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,260

Post#998 » by cedric76 » Tue May 21, 2024 10:15 pm

yoyojw17 wrote:https://www.si.com/nba/magic/news/orlando-magic-report-cards-goga-bitadze-flashes-potential

"I got waived and these guys picked me up off of waivers," Bitadze said at exit interviews on May 6. "I didn't even know if I was going to stay in the league. I was already thinking about going back to Europe and these guys just took me in with open arms. This is the home [where] I want to be in. If it comes down to that and I'm still here, I would be really happy."

Bitadze proved this season that he belongs in the NBA, and he could have interest around the league. The Magic would like to bring him back, but they likely won't give him too much of his well-deserved raise given his role on the team.

Perhaps a rival may offer a bigger role with more money that will allow Bitadze to flash the potential he showed earlier in the year

We'll see how this plays out. Returning Goga in a more prominent role if we trade Wendell wouldn't be a bad idea either. He might be a cheaper option to a nic claxton or hartenstein... while having similar impacts. Imagine him going into the season as a rotation player.... or starter. And yes... i know he went to the bench full time with black.... but i still think the FO think highly of them both.

Goga is staying, He is only 24 and is a nice safety blanket, i m pretty sure we ll offer him a Cheap 3yr contract with a team option
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer Harris and goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic

Suggs, AB, Carter
Monk, Jett, Harris
Franz, Jett, Houstan
Paolo, Moe, (Cole trade)
Wcj, JI, goga
sChOlaRlY_Magi
Sixth Man
And1: 344

Post#999 » by sChOlaRlY_Magi » Wed May 22, 2024 12:08 am

MasterGMer wrote:
RichCollab wrote:

Murray
Suggs
Franz
Paolo
Claxton

I want the Hawks to trade Murray, also. But we can buckle up from free agency why bother the trade market. TBH, I want Murray more than Young and Malik Monk.

I think I do too. With the exception of the bad background and Paolo beef, he's the perfect fit for this current team.

I like WCJ a lot, and I'd still make this trade.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,918

Post#1000 » by Skybox » Wed May 22, 2024 12:37 am

Murray
Suggs
Franz
Paolo
Claxton

I don't think WCJ to ATL has legs since they won the lotto (they'll likely draft Sarr)...unless we took back Capela too (which would be fine, imo). We have the cap space and it wouldn't be a bad fit anyway. We could take back Capela, maybe keep our frp and draft one of the young C's that should be around #18 to develop. I actually like the idea of WCJ working with a young C and then, when it makes sense, WCJ can move to 4, at least on one end.

Murray is simply the ONLY one of the commonly mentioned targets that is an exceptional defender. We should pursue Murray FIRST, imo...but, if it doesn't jump, maybe call about Simons, then swiftly turn to Monk when FA opens.

Return to Orlando Magic