ImageImageImageImage

Orlando/Miami/Washington

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,253

Re: Orlando/Miami/Washington 

Post#21 » by eyriq » Sun Jun 6, 2010 6:04 pm

I doubt Cook would even make our rotation. Haslem and Thornton would be good additions though, as both are fringe-to-solid starting options in this league. However, so are Anderson and Gortat, if perhaps less proven than Haslem and Thornton, which it seems the picks are intended to make up for.

All in all I don't like it. I think we have two good 4's in Anderson and Bass, and I also think that Gortat's ceiling is high enough to warrant more talent than a fringe starting SF in Thornton. Throw in the picks on top of all that; I say pass.
KrazySixersD
General Manager
And1: 1,008

Post#22 » by KrazySixersD » Sun Jun 6, 2010 6:20 pm

im telling u guys... you magic fans are VASTLY overating gortat and his value... VASTLY
BelgianMagic
Head Coach
And1: 130

Post#23 » by BelgianMagic » Sun Jun 6, 2010 6:21 pm

im telling u guys... you non-magic fans are VASTLY underrating gortat and his value... VASTLY

He's alot better than alot of people think. He just never gets any playing time
christian72589
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#24 » by christian72589 » Sun Jun 6, 2010 6:32 pm

Ok sixers, name 5 centers in the league not named Howard ming and stoudemire that gortat can't hang with. My point is that for the position, gortat is very valuable.
TheChaser
Analyst
And1: 484

Post#25 » by TheChaser » Sun Jun 6, 2010 6:32 pm

At first glance, this trade proposal isn't all that bad guys...
maginno wrote:There is nothing wrong with this team that putting a few unloaded guns in Carter's gym bag will not solve.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by eyriq » Sun Jun 6, 2010 6:37 pm

Nelson
Carter/Pietrus
Lewis/Thornton
Haslem/Bass
Howard

I mean, that is a pretty good rotation. You fill it out with assets like Fran, Rakattack, MLE, Bi-Annual, and I think you have a good, if also very different, Magic team.
Hilltop
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 731

Post#27 » by Hilltop » Sun Jun 6, 2010 6:40 pm

BelgianMagic wrote:Sorry to say but I would choose redick & barnes over Cook & thornton every day .. Redick is a very good fit for us, don't let him to away

I'd take Redick over Cook any day, but Thornton over Barnes is a pretty significant upgrade if you ask me.
MoGrAdY
RealGM
And1: 118

Post#28 » by MoGrAdY » Sun Jun 6, 2010 6:41 pm

Awful trade.
Deezy
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#29 » by Deezy » Sun Jun 6, 2010 6:53 pm

If this trade didn't include Anderson, I would think it had some legs. Haslem/Thornton/Cook for Gortat/29/59 isn't so bad a deal in a proposed 3 way, but Otis would never include Ryan. That's what makes this deal go sour immediately, IMO.

You don't make trades for the sake of making them. In a Gortat trade, we're going to be looking to fill some type of need. Whether that be getting a lottery pick to potentially nab a specific player, or getting a pick to flip in a bigger trade; either way it's not going to be for someone we could just sign outright (Haslem), an end-of-the-bench roleplayer (Cook), and a decent wing (Thornton) that is eerily similar to Matt Barnes.
Deezy
RealGM

Post#30 » by Deezy » Sun Jun 6, 2010 7:11 pm

Hilltop wrote:I'd take Redick over Cook any day, but Thornton over Barnes is a pretty significant upgrade if you ask me.

I agree with Redick being better than Cook, but I'm curious as to why you think Thornton is a 'pretty significant' upgrade over Barnes?

Maybe it has something to do with Matt's journeyman type career, or even his inconsistent playing time which attributed to his productivity (or lack thereof -- at times). Or maybe it has to do with the notion that Thornton is going to really mature as a player in the next few years as he hits his ceiling. Regardless, as of today, their PER36 numbers are pretty similar, with Matt slightly being the more active, more productive player. Thornton is the better scorer and better free throw shooter -- that's about it. Barnes is the better defender, better rebounder, better three point shooter, averages more assists, etc. Really, I don't even know if Thornton is the better head to head player, much less a significant upgrade.

Also, when you consider salary demands, I just don't know if it's a given that Thornton is the better option. Matt likely could be re-signed for the BAE over the course of 3-4 years, whereas Thornton might draw more interest on an open market, which ultimately could inflate his worth.
Magicalltheway
Analyst
And1: 134

Post#31 » by Magicalltheway » Sun Jun 6, 2010 7:15 pm

this is a lateral move. I dont see any upgrades and losing both picks makes it even worse. Unless JJ is a goner. I trust Otis even though this doesnt make much sense.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by eyriq » Sun Jun 6, 2010 7:15 pm

I agree, I feel like Anderson had a breakout year (18.1 PER) and is the main consolation for having traded away Lee.
Deezy
RealGM

Post#33 » by Deezy » Sun Jun 6, 2010 7:25 pm

eyriq wrote:I agree, I feel like Anderson had a breakout year (18.1 PER) and is the main consolation for having traded away Lee.

Yeah, after that disappointing trade, we can only hope that Anderson outshines Lee in the near (and far) future. It sure would suck if we ended up trading Ryan away for peanuts.
Hilltop
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by Hilltop » Sun Jun 6, 2010 7:33 pm

Deezy wrote:
Hilltop wrote:I'd take Redick over Cook any day, but Thornton over Barnes is a pretty significant upgrade if you ask me.

I agree with Redick being better than Cook, but I'm curious as to why you think Thornton is a 'pretty significant' upgrade over Barnes?

Maybe it has something to do with Matt's journeyman type career, or even his inconsistent playing time which attributed to his productivity (or lack thereof -- at times). Or maybe it has to do with the notion that Thornton is going to really mature as a player in the next few years as he hits his ceiling. Regardless, as of today, their PER36 numbers are pretty similar, with Matt slightly being the more active, more productive player. Thornton is the better scorer and better free throw shooter -- that's about it. Barnes is the better defender, better rebounder, better three point shooter, averages more assists, etc. Really, I don't even know if Thornton is the better head to head player, much less a significant upgrade.

Also, when you consider salary demands, I just don't know if it's a given that Thornton is the better option. Matt likely could be re-signed for the BAE over the course of 3-4 years, whereas Thornton might draw more interest on an open market, which ultimately could inflate his worth.

Indeed I exaggerated by saying "significant upgrade". Still, he's much younger (I think he has a lot of room to grown on a better team and a change in scenery), and he's actually a decent defender in 1-on-1 situations. His long range shooting needs work and I'm not sure how well he'd do playing off the ball so much and standing in corners spacing the floor for us, but I do think Thornton is better than Barnes head-to-head.
Hilltop
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by Hilltop » Sun Jun 6, 2010 7:34 pm

eyriq wrote:I agree, I feel like Anderson had a breakout year (18.1 PER) and is the main consolation for having traded away Lee.

Yeah, I'm definitely in the group that wants us to hold on to Ryan and see what he's got. I still can't believe he's only 21.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#36 » by Nemesis21 » Sun Jun 6, 2010 7:35 pm

Orange Ave. wrote:Gortat for John Wall and future considerations.

:rock:
mattyBoi
Head Coach
And1: 894

Post#37 » by mattyBoi » Sun Jun 6, 2010 7:36 pm

Poor trade. Cook is garbage and doesn't play defense, he would never play. I would probably keep Bass over Haslem. Thornton is better than Barnes. Plus we lose picks and our backup C. No deal, not even close considering how much Miami would get back.
TheChaser
Analyst
And1: 484

Post#38 » by TheChaser » Sun Jun 6, 2010 7:41 pm

And I'll reiterate what I said earlier. It's a trade with "potential". I do not think its' a great trade right off the bat and I do believe we could get a better deal.
maginno wrote:There is nothing wrong with this team that putting a few unloaded guns in Carter's gym bag will not solve.
WillyJakkz
RealGM
And1: 3,430

Post#39 » by WillyJakkz » Sun Jun 6, 2010 7:42 pm

I call b.s.

Why would we trade assets for Haslem when he's a FA? Just to acuire Cook/ Thornton and to save "a buck or two" by not bringing back Redick?

Not buying it. And not even a link to the "hip hop" forum you saw this on?

Shenanigans.
magicfan1989
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#40 » by magicfan1989 » Sun Jun 6, 2010 8:02 pm

This trade would be horrendous for us.

I feel we could get so much more for Gortat and Bass.

Don't get me wrong, I love Haslem, but Cook and Thornton? No thank you.

Absolutely horrendous.. Otis isn't stupid enough to make this trade.

Return to Orlando Magic