ImageImageImageImage

Official Speculation Thread (Pt. XLIX"Reg. Season"Ed.)

Moderators: Howard Mass, Hilltop, eyriq, MagicMadness, damo[23], Devin 1L

User avatar
Def Swami
RealGM
Posts: 16,559
And1: 3,821
Joined: Aug 04, 2008
Location: Orlandipo
       

Re: Official Speculation Thread (Pt. XLIX"Reg. Season"Ed.) 

Post#136 » by Def Swami » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:09 pm

Zmill wrote:Let me guess, you're one of those guys who called each RFA signing this offseason over paid (Curry, Holiday, Batum, Harden, etc. the list goes on).

Any RFA pg/wing with all-star upside is going to get 10+ mill in the new CBA. Any RFA big man with all-star upside is going to get the max. If you want talent, you have to pay for it. I think Evans will probably get 4 years 10-12 mill per (maybe a bit more even depends on what the number is though), and I would probably be down with that contract. I don't understand how fans want to build through the draft yet call every RFA signing overpaid. Kind of contradictory.

Oh and BTW this post was not directed to any single user in particular moreso just the group of users that literally called every RFA signing this summer overpaid.

I didn't have too much of a problem with the guys who got their deals over the summer. But, I would not pay Evans $10 mill+. That to me seems pretty risky considering he has shown steady decline in his game since his rookie year and absolutely no improvement shooting the ball. I don't mind taking a risk on Evans, but I wouldn't jeopardize the future or put all our eggs in Tyreke's basket because I don't think he can live up the caliber of guys who got their deals last year.
Image
Runnin' mad games.
User avatar
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
Posts: 36,390
And1: 4,723
Joined: Oct 12, 2003
Location: In the Paint

Re: Official Speculation Thread (Pt. XLIX"Reg. Season"Ed.) 

Post#137 » by BadMofoPimp » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:13 pm

Same thing when the Pistons re-signed Stuckey to $8.5 mil for 3 years. Fortunately, it was only 3 years. At the time, he was the Point Guard that was more like a SG with no outside shot who took the ball to the hoop all the time. Ends up he is not effective as a SG and not a great facilitator to play PG as a Starter. But, he plays good defense at 6'5" and can score. So, now the Pistons have a $8.5 mil backup PG/SG. Sounds like Tyreke to me.
Image

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Nyce_1
Head Coach
Posts: 6,334
And1: 1,337
Joined: Jun 29, 2009
Location: Tampa
 

Re: Official Speculation Thread (Pt. XLIX"Reg. Season"Ed.) 

Post#138 » by Nyce_1 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:31 pm

Bensational wrote:I'd be very welcome to giving Tyreke a shot. He may very well just need a new start and a new voice in JV.

The kid had raw skills, but he really hasn't been developed well at all. I don't understand how, since he's not a troublemaker. He could actually benefit from playing with JJ, IMO.


User avatar
Last Guardian
RealGM
Posts: 20,519
And1: 498
Joined: Feb 22, 2004
Location: New Jersey
 

Re: Official Speculation Thread (Pt. XLIX"Reg. Season"Ed.) 

Post#139 » by Last Guardian » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:45 pm

Can we end this trade Redick talk? It may very well happen but it is too depressing to think about. He should be Magic for life.
User avatar
RookieStar
Head Coach
Posts: 6,115
And1: 203
Joined: Jul 01, 2009
 

Re: Official Speculation Thread (Pt. XLIX"Reg. Season"Ed.) 

Post#140 » by RookieStar » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:50 pm

Nyce_1 wrote:
Bensational wrote:I'd be very welcome to giving Tyreke a shot. He may very well just need a new start and a new voice in JV.

The kid had raw skills, but he really hasn't been developed well at all. I don't understand how, since he's not a troublemaker. He could actually benefit from playing with JJ, IMO.





Look at that guy weave through traffic, he eludes defenders like they weren't even there.
/green
Yup we need this guy for...oh wait
User avatar
msmoore66
Senior
Posts: 540
And1: 16
Joined: Jul 21, 2010
Location: New Zealand
   

Re: Official Speculation Thread (Pt. XLIX"Reg. Season"Ed.) 

Post#141 » by msmoore66 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:56 pm

Last Guardian wrote:Can we end this trade Redick talk? It may very well happen but it is too depressing to think about. He should be Magic for life.


Agreed wholeheartedly.
Zmill
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,027
And1: 1,001
Joined: Jul 18, 2009
   

Re: Official Speculation Thread (Pt. XLIX"Reg. Season"Ed.) 

Post#142 » by Zmill » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:01 pm

Nyce_1 wrote:
Bensational wrote:I'd be very welcome to giving Tyreke a shot. He may very well just need a new start and a new voice in JV.

The kid had raw skills, but he really hasn't been developed well at all. I don't understand how, since he's not a troublemaker. He could actually benefit from playing with JJ, IMO.




nonissue
Image
User avatar
_DudeItsMagic_
Sophomore
Posts: 182
And1: 19
Joined: May 23, 2012

Re: Official Speculation Thread (Pt. XLIX"Reg. Season"Ed.) 

Post#143 » by _DudeItsMagic_ » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:19 pm

John Hollinger just got hired by the Grizzlies for a front office position!
jUsT rEmEmBeR wE aRe aLL mAgiC fAnS
User avatar
MagicTownBaller
Starter
Posts: 2,304
And1: 198
Joined: Nov 11, 2011
Location: Orlando, Florida
   

Re: Official Speculation Thread (Pt. XLIX"Reg. Season"Ed.) 

Post#144 » by MagicTownBaller » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:25 pm

Commercial Appeal @CAGrizBlog
BREAKING: Griz have hired ESPN's John Hollinger to front-office position, per sources. CA story coming...


What in the world......
Not changing this Sig until the Orlando Magic win a championship (Technically Started 1-30-08)
User avatar
Cigamodnalro
RealGM
Posts: 12,371
And1: 64
Joined: Apr 10, 2006
Location: Political Asylum

Re: Official Speculation Thread (Pt. XLIX"Reg. Season"Ed.) 

Post#145 » by Cigamodnalro » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:25 pm

_DudeItsMagic_ wrote:John Hollinger just got hired by the Grizzlies for a front office position!


Holy ****! Wish we could have brought him in. NBA is becoming more and more about the advanced statistics every day.
https://twitter.com/cigamodnalro
“A house pulled down is half rebuilt” - Ancient Proverb
"There's beauty in the breakdown" - Frou Frou
"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees" - Jason Kidd
Ballah
Rookie
Posts: 1,242
And1: 342
Joined: Jul 13, 2009

Re: Official Speculation Thread (Pt. XLIX"Reg. Season"Ed.) 

Post#146 » by Ballah » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:11 am

We need Nate Silver up in here.
User avatar
The Real Dalic
RealGM
Posts: 10,894
And1: 1,364
Joined: Nov 22, 2009
Location: Orlando, FL
         

Re: Official Speculation Thread (Pt. XLIX"Reg. Season"Ed.) 

Post#147 » by The Real Dalic » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:12 am

RookieStar wrote:
Nyce_1 wrote:
Bensational wrote:I'd be very welcome to giving Tyreke a shot. He may very well just need a new start and a new voice in JV.

The kid had raw skills, but he really hasn't been developed well at all. I don't understand how, since he's not a troublemaker. He could actually benefit from playing with JJ, IMO.





Look at that guy weave through traffic, he eludes defenders like they weren't even there.
/green
Yup we need this guy for...oh wait

:lol:
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
User avatar
Immature Luigi
Head Coach
Posts: 6,412
And1: 1,940
Joined: Oct 13, 2012
     

Re: Official Speculation Thread (Pt. XLIX"Reg. Season"Ed.) 

Post#148 » by Immature Luigi » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:03 am

Cigamodnalro wrote:
_DudeItsMagic_ wrote:John Hollinger just got hired by the Grizzlies for a front office position!


Holy ****! Wish we could have brought him in. NBA is becoming more and more about the advanced statistics every day.

Don't need him when Hennigan himself is a moneyball kind of GM
Image
User avatar
KingRobb02
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,549
And1: 512
Joined: Aug 07, 2007
         

Re: Official Speculation Thread (Pt. XLIX"Reg. Season"Ed.) 

Post#149 » by KingRobb02 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:06 am

Bobby Ray wrote:
Cigamodnalro wrote:
_DudeItsMagic_ wrote:John Hollinger just got hired by the Grizzlies for a front office position!


Holy ****! Wish we could have brought him in. NBA is becoming more and more about the advanced statistics every day.

Don't need him when Hennigan himself is a moneyball kind of GM

...as if having more smart guys around would have been a bad thing.
MagicFan32
RealGM
Posts: 14,489
And1: 480
Joined: Jun 13, 2004

Re: Official Speculation Thread (Pt. XLIX"Reg. Season"Ed.) 

Post#150 » by MagicFan32 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:43 am

I would go all in for Tyreke, Sacramento is a HORRIBLE situation, the owners don't care about the team, they have no money and will be moved most likely. he needs a change, JV would be a great coach for him
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
User avatar
tiderulz
RealGM
Posts: 16,862
And1: 2,769
Joined: Jun 16, 2010
 

Re: Official Speculation Thread (Pt. XLIX"Reg. Season"Ed.) 

Post#151 » by tiderulz » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:45 pm

Last Guardian wrote:Can we end this trade Redick talk? It may very well happen but it is too depressing to think about. He should be Magic for life.


what is it with JJ and some of you. Career 9 ppg player. turned himself into a good role player, not a star but a role player, doesnt defend well, is a great shooter and now good passer. And he should be "Magic for life"?

Is it because he is a good looking, white player that people look at and say, with another 3-4 inches that could be me? I just dont get it. I dont hate on the kid, but i just dont get it.
User avatar
tiderulz
RealGM
Posts: 16,862
And1: 2,769
Joined: Jun 16, 2010
 

Re: Official Speculation Thread (Pt. XLIX"Reg. Season"Ed.) 

Post#152 » by tiderulz » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:45 pm

MagicFan32 wrote:I would go all in for Tyreke, Sacramento is a HORRIBLE situation, the owners don't care about the team, they have no money and will be moved most likely. he needs a change, JV would be a great coach for him


a rookie head coach would be great for a head case player? Not so sure on that.
User avatar
pogiro
Rookie
Posts: 1,007
And1: 309
Joined: Jul 28, 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NY
       

Re: Official Speculation Thread (Pt. XLIX"Reg. Season"Ed.) 

Post#153 » by pogiro » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:55 pm

tiderulz wrote:
MagicFan32 wrote:I would go all in for Tyreke, Sacramento is a HORRIBLE situation, the owners don't care about the team, they have no money and will be moved most likely. he needs a change, JV would be a great coach for him


a rookie head coach would be great for a head case player? Not so sure on that.


Honest question. How is Tyreke Evans a head case player? I've never really heard anything specific going on with him, just a lot of people labeling him that way. He's one of the guys I wanted when Dwight was still here.
Image

:pray: KAT... no?

Fine...
1)WCS
2)Porzingis
3)Turner
4)Hezonja
User avatar
Cigamodnalro
RealGM
Posts: 12,371
And1: 64
Joined: Apr 10, 2006
Location: Political Asylum

Re: Official Speculation Thread (Pt. XLIX"Reg. Season"Ed.) 

Post#154 » by Cigamodnalro » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:54 pm

pogiro wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
MagicFan32 wrote:I would go all in for Tyreke, Sacramento is a HORRIBLE situation, the owners don't care about the team, they have no money and will be moved most likely. he needs a change, JV would be a great coach for him


a rookie head coach would be great for a head case player? Not so sure on that.


Honest question. How is Tyreke Evans a head case player? I've never really heard anything specific going on with him, just a lot of people labeling him that way. He's one of the guys I wanted when Dwight was still here.


I'm not sure he's a headcase, so much as he's just a kid. There is more out there than the driving incident though. He and Paul Westphal clashed repeatedly and nearly attacked each other on several occasions, most famously after a loss to the Jazz a while back. You'd have to dig a bit, but I'm sure there's stuff out there on it. In fairness, Tyreke has never really had a role defined, and criticized that publicly on multiple occasions. Westphal was terrible in that regard (Note that JV is not exactly the best at defining player roles himself). I don't think Tyreke is dangerous at all, and the riskiest part of bringing him in is what he does on the court, not off of it. He's been in the league for a while now, and his jump shot is still very far from where it needs to be for him to deserve the sort of contract he's going to be looking for next summer.
https://twitter.com/cigamodnalro
“A house pulled down is half rebuilt” - Ancient Proverb
"There's beauty in the breakdown" - Frou Frou
"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees" - Jason Kidd
User avatar
trebone
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,366
And1: 111
Joined: Jun 26, 2006
Location: Ocala Fl

Re: Official Speculation Thread (Pt. XLIX"Reg. Season"Ed.) 

Post#155 » by trebone » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:09 pm

He is not overly athletic, (Evans) and has rapidly declined since his rookie season, there is a chance he could return to that but unlikely after a few sub par seasons, at this point it is more realistic to see him as Beasley than Harden in terms of production. I actually liked the Stuckey reference because that is the type of player he is and you cant just take a chance at 10-12 million per especially on a rebuilding team such as ourselves for the HOPE that he regains it. A deal like that could set us back another 4 years of suckness.

Return to Orlando Magic