ImageImageImageImage

Magic selected Romero Osby

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

ucfmay2000
Junior
And1: 50

Post#1 » by ucfmay2000 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:50 am

Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,151

Re: Magic selected Romero Osby 

Post#2 » by Def Swami » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:53 am

First
meatwad4343
Rookie
And1: 264

Post#3 » by meatwad4343 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:57 am

would very suprised if he makes the team
FFBlitzace
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,777

Post#4 » by FFBlitzace » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:59 am

As for nicknames, I'm thinking something along the lines of George A. Romero and zombies. I don't know, we'll see what else presents itself.
11/18/2017 - I have officially disowned Nikola Vucevic and branded him a loser.

- Skal Labissiere was my guy in 2016 pre-trade. Whoops, but I still believe.
- Malik Monk was my guy in 2017. Whoops(?)
- Mo Bamba was my guy in 2018. TBD.
jamesgrenard
Rookie
And1: 91

Post#5 » by jamesgrenard » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:02 am

Def Swami wrote:First

you still 12 years old?
St. Louis Cardinals
San Francisco 49ers
Orlando Magic
St. Louis Blues
Missouri Tigers
freespirit9
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#6 » by freespirit9 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:06 am

I think we will keep him and drop baby, harrington. if you look at advanced stats, this guy was doing 23/10 per 40, and putting up a PER of 29.3, higher then oladipo. and has improved every single season
ORLFLA
Senior
And1: 2

Post#7 » by ORLFLA » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:12 am

Maybe a sign into Nicholson being gone? And yes I know I'm looking far into it.
TDJacksonville
Assistant Coach
And1: 242

Post#8 » by TDJacksonville » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:26 am

hmmm. still dunno wat to think about this pick. it really depends on wat position we decide to play Victor at.

if we play Victor at SG then we have our 3rd sf and stuff and i think this might spell the end of Jones here.
Trailblazers
PG:
SG:
F:
F:
C:
Wzajan89 @ gmail . com
Swish28
Sophomore
And1: 26

Post#9 » by Swish28 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:31 am

I personally wanted Peyton Siva, but I support any move Rob makes. I've never heard of this guy so maybe he is the best fit for the team.
didak
Pro Prospect
And1: 198

Post#10 » by didak » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:31 am

freespirit9 wrote:I think we will keep him and drop baby, harrington. if you look at advanced stats, this guy was doing 23/10 per 40, and putting up a PER of 29.3,

and then he played in the NBA....
R I P - Kobe Bryant
ucfmay2000
Junior
And1: 50

Post#11 » by ucfmay2000 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:32 am

ORLFLA wrote:Maybe a sign into Nicholson being gone? And yes I know I'm looking far into it.

Really don't know what the heck Rob is doing? We need a point guard, and he didn't select Lorenzo Brown......
G-Heel
Head Coach
And1: 365

Post#12 » by G-Heel » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:36 am

ucfmay2000 wrote:
ORLFLA wrote:Maybe a sign into Nicholson being gone? And yes I know I'm looking far into it.

Really don't know what the heck Rob is doing? We need a point guard, and he didn't select Lorenzo Brown......

When has a pg in the 2nd round turn out to be good? Honest question because I can't think of any recent ones. At this point you look for good role players, I'm not too upset with this pick.

Edit: actually, at this point you look for players that could make the team. Lol
Fire Otis!
didak
Pro Prospect
And1: 198

Post#13 » by didak » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:42 am

G-Heel wrote:
ucfmay2000 wrote:

When has a pg in the 2nd round turn out to be good? Honest question because I can't think of any recent ones. At this point you look for good role players, I'm not too upset with this pick.

Edit: actually, at this point you look for players that could make the team. Lol

Mario Chalmers and Goran Dragic in 2008
R I P - Kobe Bryant
Mad Guru
Sixth Man
And1: 355

Post#14 » by Mad Guru » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:12 am

I found this Pre-Draft analysis on him

With the deadline to withdraw from the 2013 NBA Draft having come and gone along with green room invitations having been received, it would appear that the nations top players are ready to make the leap into the next level of basketball. Only a handful of the hopefuls will officially become a part of the NBA Draft selections while others will look to play overseas.

Recently, the Oklahoma Sooners' Romero Osby has been steadily climbing the ladder often finding himself projected in the second round. However, just as often as one finds Obsy listed as a second round draft pick, another projection has him sitting on the undrafted list. One of the best kept secrets of this year's draft remains the 6-8 232 forward out of the University of Oklahoma.

So What's to Like About Him?

Ability to Dominate the Paint
Being undersized would normally have been a disadvantage for many in the Big 12 Conference yet Roe was able to use his strength inside not only to score but also to grab rebounds. In a senior campaign, Osby averaged 16.0 points per game to go along with 7.0 rebounds to lead the Sooners in each statistical category.

Converts Free Throws Consistently
Free throws are something NBA scouts will be considering if they plan to spend a coveted draft pick on a hopeful. Fortunately for Osby, free throws are one of his strengths but it was not always the case. During his tenure at Mississippi St., Obsy shot 63% from the line and was more in line with a number associated with a player of his size. However, when he arrived at Oklahoma and was forced to sit out a season due to the transfer rule, something clicked. In his final year of eligibility, Roe attempted 194 shots from the charity stripe and connected on 154 of those for a 79.5% conversion rate. In terms of free throws, his biggest feat may have been the 36 consecutive made attempts.

Skill Set to Stretch the Floor
Fans who watched Osby compete on a regular basis know that he possesses a solid face up game with the knack for knocking down mid-range jumpers. While the Sooners showcased him in that role, there were occasions where Roe stepped back to knock down a three-pointer (shot 52.9% in 2012-13). Yet, it was in that moment that Osby showcased the ability to take bigger defenders off the bounce as well.

Natural Leader and Hard Worker
Finally, we get to the intangibles, and area where Osby really sets himself apart and thrives. The #24 will be passed on to the next in line at Oklahoma as it now symbolized the vocal leader that Roe was on the floor. But, from day one it was apparent that this was a player playing for more than himself. A dream was set and pushed for each and every day due to his family. It will prove extremely difficult to produce a player who worked harder on the court as well as off the court during his time on the collegiate circuit than Osby.

Areas of Improvement?

At 6-8, it will be tough for an NBA coach to leave Osby alone in the blocks on players such as Zac Randolph, Pau Gasol, and Blake Griffin. While Roe has the ability to bang bodies down low, his height leaves him at a bit of disadvantage considering all the 7-footers in the league. Where does that put him defensively? Most likely against the cream of the crop.

Osby Must Prove He Can Guard the Three Spot
Asking this if anyone has become a tall task. Carmelo Anthony as well as Kevin Durant are elite level offensive players that will demand a ton of attention and are often left to the best defender on any given team. Throw in others like Kobe Bryant and LeBron James and you can see why this becomes the toughest position to guard.

At this point in the game, it all comes down to what Osby does in workouts. In a draft class that lacks elite talent yet contains much depth, I believe his is worthy of going in the middle of the second round. Roe is drawing comparisons to others who are role players that were taken in the second round such as Draymond Green.
Mad Guru
Sixth Man

Post#15 » by Mad Guru » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:17 am

On Wednesday, the Brooklyn Nets hosted a Draft Combine in which 22 Draft-eligible players — that are considered to have second round talent — participated in. Twenty-two more players will compete in the same type of workout on Thursday. Hinkie, Rod Thorn, and Courtney Witte (Sixers Director of Player Personnel) were all in attendance on Wednesday.

There was a great deal of NBA level talent at the workout, but in my opinion Oklahoma Senior forward Romero Osby was arguably the most impressive big man in the PNY Center. Osby, an agile 6-8, 232 pound beast, averaged 16.0 points and 7.0 rebounds per game for the Sooners this past season, often dominating the paint. On Wednesday, Osby showed that he has also added the skills to be successful on the perimeter.

After his workout, Osby talked to me about how he’s been working to improve his game and where he thinks he’ll land on June 27th.

“I think I’m a combo-forward,” Osby said. “You know, I’ve really worked on my shot and I’m able to shoot it from the NBA three. But, I can also take bigger defenders off the dribble and smaller defenders in down low.”

An NBA scout, who preferred to remain anonymous, said that Osby could go anywhere from 30-50 depending on how the rest of his workouts go prior to the Draft.
Mad Guru
Sixth Man

Post#16 » by Mad Guru » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:19 am

Mad Guru
Sixth Man

Post#17 » by Mad Guru » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:20 am

He already has a wife and daughter, so his emotional maturity will far exceed most rookies.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,941

Post#18 » by drsd » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:17 am

Swish28 wrote:I personally wanted Peyton Siva, but I support any move Rob makes. I've never heard of this guy so maybe he is the best fit for the team.

I too am shocked that a PG was not tabbed.

Never heard of Romero Osby, an looking him up I read "NBA jump shot" , "has range" , and "very strong." I guess this is what he was drafted on. At #51 a team can draft on need, and if Orlando needs a PF, this implies that there is a planned departure for Davis and Harrington: both.

If Osby makes the team, the depth chart would be Harris/Nicholson/Osby.

drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,941

Post#19 » by drsd » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:20 am

Mad Guru wrote:He already has a wife and daughter, so his emotional maturity will far exceed most rookies.

A true senior with a college diploma.

And he now has his own wiki page!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romero_Osby

Note: Vučević is younger than Osby.

Mad Guru
Sixth Man

Post#20 » by Mad Guru » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:32 am

I would be shocked if we made it to the trade deadline with Harrington still in tow.

Return to Orlando Magic