ImageImageImageImage

#14 UCF Football (7-0) @ SMU

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

T-DOT KEEZY
Rookie
And1: 349

Re: UCF Football [4-2] | vs Temple (5pm/homecoming) 

Post#421 » by T-DOT KEEZY » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:39 pm

UCF wrote:
T-DOT KEEZY wrote:
craig01 wrote:Sun was brutal with the high sky.

Many folks were staying inside the stadium instead of their seats even before halftime.

Absolutely miserable game to sit through. Stayed till the end with my season ticket holder friends but did have to take cover during half-time. Our band sucks anyway so we didn't miss anything.

Agreed on the weather. I did hear the new band director has been an upgrade.

I guess our section's take on the band is they never ever ever play anything we know.

New director or old one. At this point I would have to agree...
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#422 » by craig01 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:57 pm

Ucf favored by 9 over temple.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
T-DOT KEEZY
Rookie

Post#423 » by T-DOT KEEZY » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:24 am

craig01 wrote:Ucf favored by 9 over temple.

I hope we cover. Should be a great crowd on hand. The Temple QB Walker is greatly improved from last year
silent1900
Rookie
And1: 338

Post#424 » by silent1900 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:38 pm

UCF wrote:Hypothetical...

George retires after this year. Would you consider will muschamp (assuming he gets fired at UF)?

You know, I am not sure that I would. A program like ours needs someone who can develop and coach up our 2 and 3 star recruits into potential stars...and I do not think he has shown that as a strength.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
silent1900
Rookie
And1: 338

Post#425 » by silent1900 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:01 pm

Serious question here, coming from someone who has never participated in college athletics.

Reading about the North Carolina probe going on right now, I am appalled, and my initial reaction is that they should lose their athletics programs entirely for some period of time regardless of the immense loss of revenue to the school.

Mind you, I am not naive, and am aware that favoritism toward athletes and some rule bending to keep them eligible takes place at every school in the country most likely. But the length and scope of the corruption at UNC staggers me.

I guess my question is: Is UNC actually the norm? And do I ever have to worry about a similar scandal happening at UCF? I think GOL runs a pretty tight ship, and I am pretty proud of the program right now. Or am I really naive on this and just don't know it?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#426 » by craig01 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:36 am

UNC is not the norm because they got caught. Lol

Rule-breaking thresholds are crossed often, and most schools never get caught.

The investigative body of the ncaa is pretty much of a joke, how penalties are levied are also wildly inconsistent depending on who the violator is.

As far as giving a school the death penalty, that will probably never ever happen again (SMU was the last in the early 80's). There are far too many intangibles to consider when taking away any schools football program ..... that football program largely funds entire athletic departments.....not to mention the effect of conference affiliations with the tv networks and the significant funding that the tv contracts provide

Imagine, if Alabama was given the death penalty for a year or two, how CBS, ESPN, and the SEC bowl affiliations might react if what they had signed an agreement to have the total rights to....no longer had the entire product intact.

UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,418

Post#427 » by UCFJayBird » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:54 am

UNC is definitely not the norm. There are definitely a lot of schools with similar issues and scandals going on, but not to the extent and scope of UNC. UNC should definitely be hit hard with some kind of sanctions (though they probably won't). lower schools want to bend the rules to get ahead and compete, big name schools have to do it to stay on top. When you're a head coach and two losing seasons in a row means being fired (sometimes less than that), it's gotta be tough to bench or cut a kid who makes you better on the field, just because his grades aren't up to snuff (especially if he's likely going to the NFL).

As for UCF, while GOL is here you probably don't have to worry about academic scandals. GOL puts an emphasis on not only making players go to class to be eligible, but to graduate (UCF is one of the better schools in the nation in terms of graduating football players). Having said that, UCF has had it's own scandals and when the administration changes who knows what will be brought in.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#428 » by craig01 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:12 am

Ucf dominates Temple.

Walker, who played like Cam Newton against UCF last year, was terrible.

The Ucf defense had much to do with it though, as they forced tons of pressure early to which Walker never found any rhythm.

Unbelievable tailgate scenes, but the crowd was less than I would have figured (39k).

AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,115

Post#429 » by AdamTheGreek » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:51 pm

It was a good crowd. Thought there was 40k in there.

I can take the occasional mistake from Holman. I trust him more than any other QB option we have right now. His arm and his ability to run and take hits far outweighs a questionable decision that he can learn from.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#430 » by craig01 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:31 pm

Clearly he is the best option, although I think it would be a really good idea to get Patti an occasional series when Holman struggles.

T-DOT KEEZY
Rookie

Post#431 » by T-DOT KEEZY » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:17 pm

craig01 wrote:Clearly he is the best option, although I think it would be a really good idea to get Patti an occasional series when Holman struggles.

Holman did some very nice things yesterday. If he can get the touch passes down for next year he is going to be very, very dangerous. He throws a much better deep ball than Bortles. It is not even close.

That said the crowd looked really rough on TV particularly into the 3 and 4th Quarters. A lot of aluminum showing.
It doesn't look as bad in person but the TV perspective is not good
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#432 » by craig01 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:53 pm

Bortles just threw his second pick-6 against the Dolphins.

12 picks, and 4 pick-6's so far this year

BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,601

Post#433 » by BadMofoPimp » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:01 pm

Bortles looks great at times but still stares down his receivers and telegraphs his plays too much. He has much to learn but has all the tools to be a great QB someday. Unfortunately, he starts his career with arguably the worst team in the league and not that good of a receivers core or offensive line.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#434 » by craig01 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:09 pm

Bortles has had a buch of drops this year, and some of those drops have turned into picks.

The Jags are just not good.

UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#435 » by UCFJayBird » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:28 pm

Bortles looks very good, but makes costly mistakes. But I think he has the core abilities to be a good QB in the league, just needs some experience and some better options around him (every option besides Shorts is a rookie, including a few undrafted guys).

As for the Temple game, Holman looked really good. He had his "bounce back "game that we've come to expect. Hopefully next week he doesn't go the other way again and finds some consistency. The defense is playing really well now and should be able to keep any team we face in check enough to keep us close even if Holman struggles.
T-DOT KEEZY
Rookie

Post#436 » by T-DOT KEEZY » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:36 pm

craig01 wrote:Bortles just threw his second pick-6 against the Dolphins.

12 picks, and 4 pick-6's so far this year

Yeah I saw. Bad stuff. On the first one Hurns was kind of slipping but.....Hurns was double covered and Blake should not have thrown that ball. I think this is why Gus Bradley wanted him to sit for the whole year and I agreed. Let Henne take the beating and heat for losing. At this point Blake cannot win an NFL game but he certainly can lose one.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#437 » by craig01 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:14 am

I say let him play.

Int's are part of the growing pains.

Elway 7 td, 14 int
Brees 16 td, 17 int (second year after watching first on bench)
P Manning 26td, 28 int
Bradshaw 6 td, 24 int

It's a time and game experience opportunity for young QB's.

T-DOT KEEZY
Rookie

Post#438 » by T-DOT KEEZY » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:52 am

craig01 wrote:I say let him play.

Elway 7 td, 14 int
P Manning 26td, 28 int
Bradshaw 6 td, 24 int

I like Blake as much as the next guy but every quarterback you cited is a hall of famer or future hall of famer.

I don't see that kind of upside with Blake over time. He needs the game to slow down at times. He still stares down receivers as the other poster had said. He can learn a ton by sitting
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#439 » by UCFJayBird » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:49 am

T-DOT KEEZY wrote:

Elway 7 td, 14 int
P Manning 26td, 28 int
Bradshaw 6 td, 24 int

I like Blake as much as the next guy but every quarterback you cited is a hall of famer or future hall of famer.

I don't see that kind of upside with Blake over time. He needs the game to slow down at times. He still stares down receivers as the other poster had said. He can learn a ton by sitting

lol, the point was that those guys did not look like future HOFers during their rookie seasons.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#440 » by bondom34 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:48 am

UCFJayBird wrote:
T-DOT KEEZY wrote:

Elway 7 td, 14 int
P Manning 26td, 28 int
Bradshaw 6 td, 24 int

lol, the point was that those guys did not look like future HOFers during their rookie seasons.

Hey guys, just looking this up as I've been following Bortles (another TD to A Rob today, which is why I really follow the Jags too). But looking at Bortles stats he's going to need some time, and comparing him to great QBs, those guys largely had a run game. Brees had LT his first season, Manning had Faulk, Bortles has......Denard Robinson. No knock on D Rob, but he was a QB in college.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO

Return to Orlando Magic