ImageImageImageImage

Hinkie played the Magic

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Re: Hinkie played the Magic 

Post#101 » by Skin » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:59 pm

Adrian Wojnarowski: Saric had been the Sixers choice, and finally called Magic to offer Elfrid Payton with 30 seconds left on the clock, league source said. Twitter @WojYahooNBA

I think this is funny. The Sixers office probably waited around hoping the Magic would call them, but with 30 seconds left, they called the Magic in panic and hoped for a deal. The Magic were probably ready to select someone who was highly likely to be someone other than Saric.

For someone who's getting the headlines that they "worked" the Magic, the Magic were actually the cool customers behind this story. LOL. Hinkie's original offer was rejected before he had to settle for the much more crappier one. Now he comes out saying he "sleuthed" us... You don't hear anything like that from Henny's camp. Always so cool headed. Bravo!
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
OrlDave
General Manager
And1: 3,017

Post#102 » by OrlDave » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:04 pm

Skin wrote:Adrian Wojnarowski: Saric had been the Sixers choice, and finally called Magic to offer Elfrid Payton with 30 seconds left on the clock, league source said. Twitter @WojYahooNBA

I think this is funny. The Sixers office probably waited around hoping the Magic would call them, but with 30 seconds left, they called the Magic in panic and hoped for a deal. The Magic were probably ready to select someone who was highly likely to be someone other than Saric.

For someone who's getting the headlines that they "worked" the Magic, the Magic were actually the cool customers behind this story. LOL. Hinkie's original offer was rejected before he had to settle for the much more crappier one. Now he comes out saying he "sleuthed" us... You don't hear anything like that from Henny's camp. Always so cool headed. Bravo!

Hey Hinkie has to keep the fanbase believing in him in their 5 year rebuild. "Don't worry guys, we won't win 30 games for 5 years, but I'm winning trades by getting back picks we probably wouldn't have lost in the first place because of conditions! See, my plan is working!
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#103 » by Skin » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:12 pm

OrlDave wrote:
Skin wrote:Adrian Wojnarowski: Saric had been the Sixers choice, and finally called Magic to offer Elfrid Payton with 30 seconds left on the clock, league source said. Twitter @WojYahooNBA

Hey Hinkie has to keep the fanbase believing in him in their 5 year rebuild. "Don't worry guys, we won't win 30 games for 5 years, but I'm winning trades by getting back picks we probably wouldn't have lost in the first place because of conditions! See, my plan is working!

That's exactly it. Trying to save face and buy patience from the fan base to save his ass. Embiid probably won't play this year and Saric won't reach here until at least for another 2 seasons and they'll have to constantly recruit him. Meaning if they find a starter at his position he probably won't come over. So what do they do? Not fix that spot? Keep Thad? Thad must feel like fodder after being involved in so many rumors already. It's a big mess.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
orlandomichael
Sophomore
And1: 19

Post#104 » by orlandomichael » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:37 pm

Payton has handles and he is quick as hell. His shooting will come. Given the coaching, he should be another Rajon Rondo.
ORL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 64

Post#105 » by ORL » Wed Jul 2, 2014 3:17 pm

http://grantland.com/features/sacrament ... -stauskas/

Let's put this to rest now -- minutes before Sac picked, Philly tried to move up to 8 for 10 and two 2nd rounders.
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#106 » by OrlandO » Wed Jul 2, 2014 3:46 pm

ORL wrote:http://grantland.com/features/sacramento-kings-draft-nik-stauskas/

Let's put this to rest now -- minutes before Sac picked, Philly tried to move up to 8 for 10 and two 2nd rounders.

I wonder if they wanted Stauskas or Vonleh?
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,050

Post#107 » by MagicStarwipe » Wed Jul 2, 2014 3:47 pm

I'm just glad the Kings didn't select Payton.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
ORL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 64

Post#108 » by ORL » Wed Jul 2, 2014 4:01 pm

OrlandO wrote:

I wonder if they wanted Stauskas or Vonleh?

Doesn't matter. It's just this notion that they planned it all along just to get that conditional first back from the Howard trade -- well, it's full of ****.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,110

Post#109 » by tiderulz » Wed Jul 2, 2014 4:05 pm

not sure what this settles....
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,110

Post#110 » by tiderulz » Wed Jul 2, 2014 4:05 pm

MagicStarwipe wrote:I'm just glad the Kings didn't select Payton.

they were the ones i feared the most that would take him
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,722

Post#111 » by basketballRob » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:04 pm

Def Swami wrote:Got to love Josh Robbins. Always droppin' the facts that everyone else ignores.
In this morning’s Philadelphia Inquirer, a columnist implied that Sixers GM Sam Hinkie made one of the greatest draft-night heists in NBA history.

The columnist wrote: “The deal offered by the Sixers required the Magic to draft Saric and trade him, along with that missing first-round 2017 pick and a 2015 second-round pick as well, in exchange for Payton. If that seems heavy — a first-round and a second-round pick in exchange for moving two places late in the lottery — well, it was. But Orlando went for it.”

In that column, there was no mention that the 2017 first-round pick that the Magic held was a conditional one — one with such significant protections that it prevented the Magic from ever receiving anything more than a top-11 pick in 2017 or a top-eight pick in 2018.

Still, the Inquirer columnist describes the trade as a “robbery.”

But you can’t call a trade a “robbery” if you have no idea about the true value of the assets that supposedly have been stolen.

http://ht.ly/yzAet

I see why Hennigan really liked Payton. He's pretty good, plus he seems like a great teammate.
MitchellUK
RealGM
And1: 2,882

Post#112 » by MitchellUK » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:55 pm

To be fair, I am not too worried about the Payton trade right now. It could be something that looks awful in a few years, and on draft night I was definitely not pleased when I heard we gave up a second rounder and gave Philly back that first in order to move up two slots.

However, Payton looks promising. He's an improved jump shot away from being a very good player from day 1. I'm also enamoured with Saric, but the reality is that he won't see an NBA floor until at least October 2016. I was all for the draft and stash with him, but getting a guy like Payton right away is also intriguing.

The other thing is obviously the protections on the pick we gave back. If it was only top 3 protected for next season or something, I'd be upset. But Philly still haven't satisfied their obligation to Boston (via Miami), so they still owe a lottery protected first to Boston next season (which is likely to become two seconds in 2015 and 2016 because Philly are likely to miss the playoffs again). Because of that, the earliest we could have seen a pick from them is 2017, and I have to believe that over the next three years they will improve enough to make the playoffs (I know they are going with a slow, patient rebuild, but no-one, no organisation or fanbase, is that patient).

Odds are we ended up trading this year's #12, a 2017 pick in the range of 18-22 (that wasn't even ours in the first place - we still have our own future firsts, and if Embiid, Noel, MCW and whoever they get next year are healthy and meeting expectations, that Philly pick might even be in the mid 20s) and a second rounder, which is relatively inconsequential, for Payton. Only time will tell if he's worth it, but right now I won't be panicking.
MagicFan32
RealGM
And1: 790

Post#113 » by MagicFan32 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:02 pm

im gonna laugh so hard if payton is better than MCW
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,722

Post#114 » by basketballRob » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:43 pm

MagicFan32 wrote:im gonna laugh so hard if payton is better than MCW

I wouldn't trade Payton straight up for MCW right now. Payton is great for the chemistry of our team. Listen to some of the comments after SL. Dipo says, Payton is perfect. Marble said, he loves him.
MitchellUK
RealGM
And1: 2,882

Post#115 » by MitchellUK » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:51 pm

MagicFan32 wrote:im gonna laugh so hard if payton is better than MCW

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if he does become so. MCW had a good year in a turbulent situation, but ultimately he was horribly inefficient and turnover prone, with his raw numbers made more impressive by the Sixers crazy high pace. Now, turnovers and shooting are two things you expect a young guard to improve on as time goes on, so there's plenty of reason to be optimistic about his future for Sixers fans, but at the same time, I can see the potential in Payton, who has similar criticisms of his game coming into the NBA, to match or outstrip MCW in the long term.

Return to Orlando Magic