ImageImageImageImage

Interesting comp for Aaron Gordon...

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

MJallday59
Veteran
And1: 116

Re: Interesting comp for Aaron Gordon... 

Post#101 » by MJallday59 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:39 pm

EricAnderson wrote:Kirilenko

Kemps comaprison isntterrible but Kemp was a pretty good shooter from the outside

Kirilenko in Utah (Pre-Boozer)
ivDT
RealGM
And1: 1,578

Post#102 » by ivDT » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:04 pm

why no michael jordan comparisons?
Devin 1L
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 956

Post#103 » by Devin 1L » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:33 pm

ivDT wrote:why no michael jordan comparisons?

Because he's the next Scottie Pippen -- the greatest Chicago Bull of all time.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,925

Post#104 » by drsd » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:52 am

Before the draft, NBAdraft.net compared Gordon to Kenneth Faried. If in three years Gordon is a 12/8 guy with an almost unbelievable PER of 20, I would be very, very happy with that. Orlando needs rebounding and pick-setting from their PF. And strong defense.
MellowRose
Banned User
And1: 1,551

Post#105 » by MellowRose » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:12 pm

Can someone summarize this insider link?

http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?storyId=11291632
mojosodope
Sixth Man
And1: 459

Post#106 » by mojosodope » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:20 pm

MellowRose wrote:Can someone summarize this insider link?

[Removed.]

Please do not copy and paste paid for content.

Thank you.

-Dev

Posting News Articles

As stated in the above forum rules, users shall not upload, post or otherwise make available on RealGM.com any material protected by copyright, trademark, or other proprietary right. Users shall be solely liable for any damage resulting from any infringement of copyrights, proprietary rights, or any other harm resulting from such a submission. In simpler terms, no Insider or similar articles from subscription services can be posted. Newspapers, magazines and other online news articles are allowed.

If you wish to quote from a news article please follow these guidelines:

- Quotes can be no longer than 3 paragraphs from any source.

- The author of the material should be given credit.

- A link to the articles source MUST be present in your post.

Members who knowingly post fake or fraudulent news articles with the intention of disrupting the flow of dialogue in a forum will be warned.
OrlandoHouston
Sophomore
And1: 230

Post#107 » by OrlandoHouston » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:54 pm

Best case scenario: Blake Griffin

Worst case scenario: Michael Kidd Gilchrist 2.0
Devin 1L
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 956

Post#108 » by Devin 1L » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:47 pm

MellowRose wrote:Can someone summarize this insider link?

Gordon:

Basically, what we already know.

He had a bad summer league, and he really needs to improve his basketball skills, but he's a good athlete.

Payton:

What Gordon lacked in summer league, Payton provided. May be candidate for ROY.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Re: Official Speculation Thread Part 2 (Offseason 2014) 

Post#109 » by Blue_and_Whte » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:46 am

Big Boss wrote:For me it's not Gordon vs Exum it's Payton vs Exum....PG for PG and from what i've seen from Payton......
for me its Payton and Gordon. I dont care about Exum or what he will or wont turn into. I still think he becomes kerry kittles. Hes not a pg.

Gordon will develop the skills necessary for him to transition. Contrary to popular belief players actually do aquire skills that they didnt have before.

Sent from my SM-G900P using RealGM Forums mobile app
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#110 » by Orlwillbeback » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:19 am

Blue_and_Whte wrote:
Big Boss wrote:For me it's not Gordon vs Exum it's Payton vs Exum....PG for PG and from what i've seen from Payton......
for me its Payton and Gordon. I dont care about Exum or what he will or wont turn into. I still think he becomes kerry kittles. Hes not a pg.

Gordon will develop the skills necessary for him to transition. Contrary to popular belief players actually do aquire skills that they didnt have before.

+1

at first i supported neon's narrative regarding this, but I'am starting to see that this is true.
Neon1
RealGM
And1: 1,576

Post#111 » by Neon1 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:49 am

Orlwillbeback wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:

+1

at first i supported neon's narrative regarding this, but I'am starting to see that this is true.

I never said Gordon didn't already have the base....He just cant shoot (Or post up).
A smart coach once said, "Potential just means you're not good enough yet." Playing on potential is like living on air: It's essential, but if thats all you have, you're eventually going to starve.

Twitter: @CleonONE IG: @usaidwhatnah
OrlMagic05
Sixth Man
And1: 1,066

Post#112 » by OrlMagic05 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:08 pm

tiderulz wrote:
RYgoBOOM wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
look up Kenyon Martin and you will find another similar comparison.

I stressed this a lot too and it didn't get much of a following. I see so many similarities

yeah, ive posted the draft scouting report of Martin and it is very similar. Even their size and body type is very similar. I would say that Gordon is probably a better defender, Martin was more advanced offensively.

Kenyon was also 5 years older than Gordon when he was drafted! Martin was 23 when he was drafted and at that age he wasn't going to improve much more. Gordon has a lot of room to grow.
drsd
RealGM

Post#113 » by drsd » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:28 pm

OrlMagic05 wrote:Kenyon was also 5 years older than Gordon when he was drafted! Martin was 23 when he was drafted and at that age he wasn't going to improve much more. Gordon has a lot of room to grow.

If Gordon is the next Martin, I am pleased!

purpleswordfish
Rookie
And1: 540

Post#114 » by purpleswordfish » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:43 pm

drsd wrote:
OrlMagic05 wrote:Kenyon was also 5 years older than Gordon when he was drafted! Martin was 23 when he was drafted and at that age he wasn't going to improve much more. Gordon has a lot of room to grow.

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/i ... yon-martin

I sure hope he isn't! Aside from his time in NJ, he wasn't much more than an above average starter. He was also always hurt, averaging 46.2 games a year in his last 10 seasons. I've always felt that Martin was an above average player, only looking better in NJ because he played with Jason Kidd (who made a lot of players - Richard Jefferson, for example - look great).

I'm far from sold on Aaron Gordon, I still think Hennigan reached. However, I'm hoping I'm wrong and Aaron Gordon turns into a perennial All-Star.
drsd
RealGM

Post#115 » by drsd » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:10 pm

purpleswordfish wrote:
drsd wrote:

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/i ... yon-martin

I sure hope he isn't!

My thinking is that if Gordon emerges as a 12/8 starter that players well-above average defense, and is not injured like Martin, this is a good player for Orlando. At #4 in a very deep draft, this is a reach, but it is a fit with Payton.

12/8 and strong defense: that is all I ask for!

Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Post#116 » by Blue_and_Whte » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:43 pm

drsd wrote:

He's already a better ball handler and passer than KMart. I dont see the comparisons.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,015

Post#117 » by KillMonger » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:33 pm

I'm expecting Shawn Marion/Faried hybrid......Shawn was never a shooter and was only really serviceable on the block but boy was he versatile. Faried is just pure energy but doesn't really have ideal size you would want at his position but he finds a way to make it work and the motor doesn't stop. I think Gordon can fall somewhere in the middle between these two players although i think that Gordon is probably a better playmaker(passing) than those two right now.
doct3r dr3
RealGM
And1: 2,509

Post#118 » by doct3r dr3 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:56 pm

I just can't shake the Joe Alexander/Michael Kidd-Gilchrist comparisons.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Reached for a 2nd round talent in Nicholson.
Truth24
Starter
And1: 443

Post#119 » by Truth24 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:07 pm

doct3r dr3 wrote:I just can't shake the Joe Alexander/Michael Kidd-Gilchrist comparisons.

I can see a MKG comparison but AG and Alexander have nothing in common except that they both are athletes.
doct3r dr3
RealGM
And1: 2,509

Post#120 » by doct3r dr3 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:04 am

Truth24 wrote:
doct3r dr3 wrote:I just can't shake the Joe Alexander/Michael Kidd-Gilchrist comparisons.

I can see a MKG comparison but AG and Alexander have nothing in common except that they both are athletes.

I dunno, their scouting reports look pretty darn similar to me...

Player X wrote:
Strengths: Talented wing player with a winner's mentality and high motor ... An above the rim athlete capable of highlight dunks and spectacular finishes ... Has a warrior's demeanor, unafraid of contact and likes to mix it up with inside guys and crash the boards ... Put on 20 lbs between his sophomore and junior seasons, and appears as though he could add another 15-20 without hurting his agility much ... The additional weight has made him much tougher finishing around the rim and muscling for rebounds ... Really excels on the glass where he uses his amazing leaping ability and tenacity ... Hustles and scraps for every loose ball, never lacking for effort ... Has a tremendous body as a big 6'8 forward with a long wingspan. Could even possibly play some power forward on the next level with additional core strength ... Good speed and quickness, gets up and down the floor very well ... Has excellent touch around the rim ... Has gotten a lot stronger in his upper body and is able to fight through contact to finish around the rim ... Does a solid job of getting to the line where his FT shooting has really improved: 80% ... His midrange shot (10-18 feet) has shown a good deal of improvement ... Has a polished turnaround jumper which he can hit going left or right ... Has improved in his ability to get to the rim off the dribble ... Incorporates a pretty jump hook and shows solid back to the basket aptitude ... Gets a fair share of blocks due to his length and leaping ability ... Developing a strong court sense, rarely in a rush or forcing things ... Has a great attitude and is extremely coachable ... Has the chance to be a special player as he appears to have a ton of untapped potential ...

Weaknesses: To really take his game to the next level he needs to improve his outside shooting ... He can knock down perimeter shots, and shows excellent shooting mechanics, but needs to develop better range and consistency ... Also needs to improve his ability to create off the dribble ... Ball handling ability while improved is still sloppy, and the root of his turnover problems ...Can be a little overeager defensively and leave his feet on pump fakes. Also can be foul prone. Must develop a little better discipline on D, although you gotta love his intensity level ... His lateral speed is just average for a NBA small forward, hurting him a slight degree defensively. Also should try to get a little lower in his defensive stance ... Needs to improve his consistency on a game to game basis. Seven single digit games is too many for a junior with his talent ... Can be a little too reckless flying around the rim, so he'll need to be careful about injuries with opponents upending him on drives ...

Player Y wrote:
Strengths: A very athletic and versatile PF … Is a very active and energetic type of athlete, showing great leaping ability and explosiveness … Plays with a high motor… Physically lean, but is a wiry strong player who doesn’t shy away from contact … Shows a very good nose for the ball … Always must be accounted for on box outs, as he is a very good offensive rebounder and shows an outstanding 1st and 2nd jump … High IQ player, who plays to his strengths and generally makes quick and precise decisions … Is an excellent passer for a guy who is generally considered a PF prospect (2 apg as a Fr.), and is a good decision maker as well … Moves well without the ball around the rim, and makes himself available for easy buckets … An alley-oop magnet with huge suction cup hands …Usually finishes with authority … Has a good enough 1st step to sporadically create his own shot on straight line drives to his right … Impressive defensive skills … Defended some at every position while at ____, and generally was excellent considering his relative inexperience ... Contests every jump shot and is very disciplined on closeouts … Adequate shot-blocker … Understands the concept of help side defense better than a typical young player, which should allow him to play minutes immediately in the NBA … Very focused ... An extremely well-conditioned athlete, who rarely gets tired or makes “lazy” plays … Seems like a great glue guy and role player, and isn’t the type of player who needs a lot of plays run for him to be effective … Will fit in well on a team in need to energy and athleticism … Pretty competitive player who doesn’t show a lack of effort often, which will always please his coaches … Still extremely young, won’t turn 19 until about a month or so before the ____ season ...

Weaknesses: Player Y’s main weaknesses revolve around his lacking skill level on the offensive side of the ball …Despite being the 2nd leading scorer on a ____ squad that almost made it to the Final 4, Player Y needs extensive improvement offensively … His ball-handling ability is not very good right now, and he loses significant effectiveness the more he dribbles the ball … Rarely looks comfortable with his back to the rim … Not blessed with a soft touch, which suggests he will continue to have his struggles as a jump shooter, and from the line … Doesn’t seem to have a lot of range on his shot, even though he can occasionally hit 22 footers … Struggled mightily at the foul line in his only year in school (42%) and needs to work on his form, develop a little more sense of urgency and develop a set routine which replicates his mid range shot, and eliminates the "long pause" … Has a very deliberate and slow shot, sometimes it looks like the ball barely rotates when he shoots … Physically, Player Y has adequate height and strength, but he could use a little more bulk to his frame … Could get sealed by bigger PF’s in the NBA due to his narrow frame … Not particularly lengthy … Some consider Player Y a bit of a tweener, it will be interesting to see what type of body weight he can ultimately carry comfortably … Was determined to show that he was a small forward, but scouts view him strictly as a 4 for the next level ... Needs to work on his footwork, as he picks up traveling calls often when trying to create … Has high/tight hips and it sometimes shows in his lateral movements … Has a very awkward running style, and while some compare it to Rodman with the way he runs on his toes, Player Y's extremely short stride has drawn some concerns ... Though very good on the offensive glass, Player Y sometimes shows raw awareness on the defensive glass and will forget to box out or be in the wrong places when the ball has been shot ...

Overall: Considered a high character guy ... Player Y is a very good run-jump athlete and he also is a pretty high IQ guy as well … He enjoyed a pretty solid overall season at ____ and answered a few of the questions about him as an NBA prospect … He needs to work on his offensive skills and polish his game more, as well as pack on a few more pounds, but he really has good role player potential and he plays with high energy … He more than likely will be the youngest player drafted in the ____ draft, which speaks to his potential for improvement … If Player Y is drafted with the idea of becoming a high level role player instead than a franchise changing star, his outlook is extremely bright ... Look for Player Y to be a top 20 pick at least, and a likely lottery selection ...
BadMofoPimp wrote:Reached for a 2nd round talent in Nicholson.

Return to Orlando Magic