ImageImageImageImage

Henny needs to stop making moves this offseason

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,093

Re: Henny needs to stop making moves this offseason 

Post#21 » by yoyojw17 » Thu Jul 3, 2014 3:20 pm

YaYaBazinga wrote:If these puzzling moves don't work out, I think its time to stop giving Henny the benefit of the doubt and start talking about his job. Think about it. Nelson's contract was worth 8 mil this year, and even though he was cut we still pay 2 mil. Gordon's contract is worth 5 mil this year. So, even though in my opinion Nelson is much better and plays a more needed position, his loyalty for 10 years is worth less than 1 million! C'mon that's ridiculous. Also why sign Willie Green? and someone please explain to me the point of going after Patrick Patterson. Too many questionable moves (Afflalo trade, Passing Exum, Gordon Signing, Trading Future First for two spots, cutting Nelson) this offseason...

Did you really start your account and this thread just to vent your premature opinion? Come on now!

Just because we don't know where the bus driver is taking.... doesn't mean it's off the cliff. Might look bad because we don't know the route.... but it could easily be.... "passing gun store, liquor store, gun store, liquor store....... oh snap.... last stop Magic (Lob) Kingdom"... we never know.

I'm guessing you really get flustered easy.... just sit back and relax. If you see the cliff, then panic....otherwise we all have to be patient.

.....and I agree with allllllll this!
I Rasharted wrote:Nothing puzzling about it. Puzzling would be signing Greg Monroe to 4/48. That ain't gonna happen.

Nelson was waived as a favor so he can sign with a contender. That's Hennigan showing loyalty.

Gordon is a low-risk, semi-high-reward guy and a possible trade chip. One year deal.

Willie Green = veteran depth.

No real proof we're going after Patterson.

Afflalo wasn't part of the future, so we traded him for a younger guy with upside.

We picked Aaron Gordon because (I would wager) Hennigan thinks he can be a star.

We gave PHI its pick back because we really wanted Payton. Likely our PG of the future.

We run with this team for a year, let everyone develop, get another lotto pick (probably) and get serious the year after that. Pretty simple.
dwight4pres08
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#22 » by dwight4pres08 » Thu Jul 3, 2014 3:21 pm

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2117 ... rade-asset

quit complaining people and just trust in Henny... really hasn't messed up thus far.. chill!
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,604

Post#23 » by BadMofoPimp » Thu Jul 3, 2014 3:30 pm

dwight4pres08 wrote:http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2117726-did-orlando-magic-sign-ben-gordon-to-create-another-trade-asset

quit complaining people and just trust in Henny... really hasn't messed up thus far.. chill!

Maybe, you didn't get the memo but Henny just signed Ben Gordon for $4.5 million next season. Now that, is a massive mistake. So, he just messed up.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
T25
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#24 » by T25 » Thu Jul 3, 2014 3:42 pm

Is it not obvious that Rob wants our younger guys to start and learn experience. How were they to do that with Jameer and AA. Please tell me that. So it's fair to only give Meer/AA 20 mins a game? Is that not disrespectful to two vets? Ok let's flip it and start Meer/AA so then we only give 20 mins to our young guys then?

This fan base is so funny.

Get a clue. Rob traded our Veteran Starters for Veteran Bench Players. Nothing more nothing less. This isn't NBA2K where u can trade AA and a few 1st picks for Lebron.

I'm 1000% sure Rob sat with Meer/Agent and said look Meer this is the direction out team is going, we are planning to get young and give a majority of mins to them. We want you to stay but at a different role. This gave Meer the option to cut ties or stay as a backup. The signal we sent is we would love for him to stay but as a backup. Meet decided he has stuff in the tank still and wants to play a more meaningful role elsewhere. Both side feels this is the best move for both parties.

Look people get off the ledge. We need a Starting PG & PF

This will make everyone worship Rob if were to happen.

Pg Bledsoe/Payton/VO
SG VO/Green/Gordon/Fournier
SF Harris/Gordon/Fournier/Harkless
PF Free Agent/Nicholson/Harris/Gordon/Oquinn
C Vuc/Oquinn

Who can argue with Bledsoe getting a max deal or 3/4 year almost max deal?

That team gives us so much depth, defense, speed, athleticism, and all our young.
By know means am I a cap expert but giving Bledsoe a lot of $$ doe this hinder us to extend our guys next year?
pinoynurse
Rookie
And1: 353

Post#25 » by pinoynurse » Thu Jul 3, 2014 3:43 pm

The ben gordon move truly baffles me. I like hennigan but this time i cannot defend this signing. Every way i look at it it does not make sense. I expected us to sign a veteran who would be a positive influence on our youngsters, provide a mentor role and not eat into their minutes. Ben gordon is none of these.
From strength, learn gentleness. Through gentleness, strength will prevail.
theTHIEF
RealGM
And1: 214

Post#26 » by theTHIEF » Thu Jul 3, 2014 3:47 pm

pinoynurse wrote:The ben gordon move truly baffles me. I like hennigan but this time i cannot defend this signing. Every way i look at it it does not make sense. I expected us to sign a veteran who would be a positive influence on our youngsters, provide a mentor role and not eat into their minutes. Ben gordon is none of these.

So let's say for conjecture purposes here that you're Hennigan and next year you have the chance to trade Andrew Nicholson for an expiring deal and a pick which you covet...who do you package Nicholson with to equal salaries? Let's see, Dipo? Harris? Vuci? Harkless? ohhh yea, Ben Gordon's $4.5m is sizable and will probably push a deal like that.

It's time to take this board to Margaritaville y'all.
dwight4pres08
Ballboy

Post#27 » by dwight4pres08 » Thu Jul 3, 2014 3:49 pm

yeah anyone who doesn't realize this is a trade asset, and in the meantime someone who can shoot the three for us until then.... wellll... they are probably the same haters of the Dwight trade that ended up being great for us
dwight4pres08
Ballboy

Post#28 » by dwight4pres08 » Thu Jul 3, 2014 3:49 pm

close thread on that note, convo ended lol
pinoynurse
Rookie

Post#29 » by pinoynurse » Thu Jul 3, 2014 3:57 pm

theTHIEF wrote:
pinoynurse wrote:The ben gordon move truly baffles me. I like hennigan but this time i cannot defend this signing. Every way i look at it it does not make sense. I expected us to sign a veteran who would be a positive influence on our youngsters, provide a mentor role and not eat into their minutes. Ben gordon is none of these.

So let's say for conjecture purposes here that you're Hennigan and next year you have the chance to trade Andrew Nicholson for an expiring deal and a pick which you covet...who do you package Nicholson with to equal salaries? Let's see, Dipo? Harris? Vuci? Harkless? ohhh yea, Ben Gordon's $4.5m is sizable and will probably push a deal like that.

first off welcome back thief. I havent seen you post for years until recently. Secondly, if the purpose of signing gordon was just to make him a trade asset, then why not sign someone who could actually provide something positive during his duration here. You could offer the same deal for the purpose to trade in the future to someone who can actually provide something to our young team, but of all people we chose ben gordon. Lastly, I am not in panic mode, like i said before i like hennigan and although i do not like this signing it will hardly have any impact on our team. Ben gordon will not get much playing time, and i feel harris and oladipos leadership and character will offset any negative influence he has in the locker room IMO
MAGICian619
Bench Warmer
And1: 888

Post#30 » by MAGICian619 » Thu Jul 3, 2014 3:57 pm

To anyone who doesn't "get" the Ben Gordon signing......Don't worry you don't have to. We pay someone who is much smarter than you to "get" it. There is a reason for everything Hennigan is doing.
TNMagicFan
Head Coach
And1: 243

Post#31 » by TNMagicFan » Thu Jul 3, 2014 3:58 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:I question Henny cutting Meer just so he could sign Ben freaking Gordon.

Now, who would have more value to this franchise, Jameer Nelson or Ben Gordon!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!

Man, I normally enjoy your posts but you gotta stop this crap . Jameer decided he wanted to play for a contender so Henny allowed him to to do that . That was a class act IMO . As far as Gordon goes , we are just going with 1 year rentals right now and we need to reach the cap floor . I seriously doubt this guy plays much . Plus that is a nice sized expiring contract for trade purposes . It's baffling to me that people are pissing their pants over a bench guy who will only be here for a year . We all know this season is all about playing the young guys so stop acting like a lil bitch please :D
FloridaHoosier
Starter
And1: 1,083

Post#32 » by FloridaHoosier » Thu Jul 3, 2014 4:02 pm

MagicStarwipe wrote:We need to be thanking our lucky stars someone as sharp and bright as Hennigan and his team are in control. If he keeps going like he is, I hope he's here for a looooonng time. Like, until he's damn near 70 years old.

I love your sig!
"Don't let the pressure exceed the pleasure." "Try not to suck."
"I don't vibrate at that frequency." ~ Joe Maddon
theTHIEF
RealGM
And1: 214

Post#33 » by theTHIEF » Thu Jul 3, 2014 4:02 pm

pinoynurse wrote:
theTHIEF wrote:

first off welcome back thief. I havent seen you post for years until recently. Secondly, if the purpose of signing gordon was just to make him a trade asset, then why not sign someone who could actually provide something positive during his duration here. You could offer the same deal for the purpose to trade in the future to someone who can actually provide something to our young team, but of all people we chose ben gordon. Lastly, I am not in panic mode, like i said before i like hennigan and although i do not like this signing it will hardly have any impact on our team. Ben gordon will not get much playing time, and i feel harris and oladipos leadership and character will offset any negative influence he has in the locker room IMO

Keep in mind that Ben Gordon has the ability to be Vinny "the Microwave" Johnson type of an offensive contributor. He's probably, now, the most skilled offensive threat on our roster. This assumes Gordon is motivated. He's also a HIGHLY gifted athlete who can leap and run.

The Magic's brain-trust consists of Scott Perry & Matt Lloyd. One was an assistant with the Bulls when Gordon was drafted and the other was an assistant with the Pistons when Gordon was brought in via FA. I assume that there is some relationship fostered there and this played a role in bringing that player to this team. I honestly have ZERO idea why it was Gordon and not Meeks or Miles or Morrow but there HAS to be something there. This could be a "last chance" run here. A Prove yourself intervention for the kid. Surely we cannot assume a GM like Hennigan is incompetent and is just throwing money at players. It's funny to joke about but, let's get real.
jgosche
Sixth Man
And1: 866

Post#34 » by jgosche » Thu Jul 3, 2014 4:07 pm

RYgoBOOM wrote:I hope Henny reads this and **** in your mailbox!

MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,050

Post#35 » by MagicStarwipe » Thu Jul 3, 2014 4:08 pm

FloridaHoosier wrote:
MagicStarwipe wrote:We need to be thanking our lucky stars someone as sharp and bright as Hennigan and his team are in control. If he keeps going like he is, I hope he's here for a looooonng time. Like, until he's damn near 70 years old.

I love your sig!

Thanks. I think the talent and potential of our young core will surprise even some on this board.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
Javanar
Pro Prospect
And1: 57

Post#36 » by Javanar » Thu Jul 3, 2014 4:09 pm

People are convinced that what Hennigan does is always true, so they are angry against people who questions Hennigan's moves.

What I see from Hennigan's moves is, the lottery did not do us any favor and we need at least one more year of tanking because of our bad lottery chance. Henny is preparing the team for tank.
I am not a native English speaker...
TNMagicFan
Head Coach

Post#37 » by TNMagicFan » Thu Jul 3, 2014 4:09 pm

Everything Hennigan is doing is about acquiring young talent and trade assets while maintaining financial flexibility .I love it , that hasn't been the case with most of our GM's .
purpleswordfish
Rookie
And1: 540

Post#38 » by purpleswordfish » Thu Jul 3, 2014 4:10 pm

I'm not going to question the draft moves, none of the three players that the Magic drafted have played a single NBA minute. It's too early to call that a failure, success, average return, etc. I'm OK with the Afflalo trade at this point because he was playing that "I'd accept a trade" card for quite some time. It's obvious that he didn't fit into the Magic's long-term plans and there was no way he was resigning with the Magic if/when he opts out after this season. So, the Magic got what was probably the best offer on the table for him.

As for Nelson, it still hurts. I really enjoyed watching Jameer play for the Magic for 10 years and was hopign that he would retire as a Magic player. But, it was time for him to move on and try to latch on with a more competitive team. I was mad about the move at first, but then more and more information came out about him wanting to contend and I didn't feel so upset anymore. The Ben Gordon signing sucks, I'll admit that. But, you have to look at it for what it is. He'll play for the Magic up until the trade deadline (at least), jack up some awful shots and help the tanking process, then probably get traded for a second round pick or be a throw-in on a bigger deal. They signed him as a trade chip, nothing more.
TNMagicFan
Head Coach

Post#39 » by TNMagicFan » Thu Jul 3, 2014 4:13 pm

Javanar wrote:People are convinced that what Hennigan does is always true, so they are angry against people who questions Hennigan's moves.

What I see from Hennigan's moves is, the lottery did not do us any favor and we need at least one more year of tanking because of our bad lottery chance. Henny is preparing the team for tank.

Why? We have enough young talent . We just have to give them time to play and develop . He got rid of the guys that were taking playing time away from them . We will try to win this year . We likely won't be all that good , but it is necessary for the development of our young guys .
pinoynurse
Rookie

Post#40 » by pinoynurse » Thu Jul 3, 2014 4:17 pm

theTHIEF wrote:
pinoynurse wrote:
theTHIEF wrote:

Keep in mind that Ben Gordon has the ability to be Vinny "the Microwave" Johnson type of an offensive contributor. He's probably, now, the most skilled offensive threat on our roster. This assumes Gordon is motivated. He's also a HIGHLY gifted athlete who can leap and run.

The Magic's brain-trust consists of Scott Perry & Matt Lloyd. One was an assistant with the Bulls when Gordon was drafted and the other was an assistant with the Pistons when Gordon was brought in via FA. I assume that there is some relationship fostered there and this played a role in bringing that player to this team. I honestly have ZERO idea why it was Gordon and not Meeks or Miles or Morrow but there HAS to be something there. This could be a "last chance" run here. A Prove yourself intervention for the kid. Surely we cannot assume a GM like Hennigan is incompetent and is just throwing money at players. It's funny to joke about but, let's get real.

No question he has offensive capabilities however the key word in your first paragraph is if he is Motivated, which he has not been. This was a guy on a team that needed offense desperately. And instead of keeping him towards the last run of their playoff push, the bobcats Waived him before the deadline so he would not be eligible for the playoffs. That speaks of the player he now is.

But again, perhaps there is something i dont see since Matt loyd and scott perry both signed off on this deal. For now we will have to wait and see and i shall keep an open perspective.

Return to Orlando Magic