ImageImageImageImage

Is Gordon is a sf or a pf?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

ivDT
RealGM
And1: 1,578

Re: Is Gordon is a sf or a pf? 

Post#41 » by ivDT » Fri Jul 4, 2014 11:26 pm

aaron gordon is going to be the light-skinneded lebron. watch.
Truth24
Starter
And1: 443

Post#42 » by Truth24 » Fri Jul 4, 2014 11:26 pm

I think this is pretty simple, Aaron Gordon is a forward plain and simple and it is really hard to mash him into a certain role. He won't be a traditional low block power forward or what one would consider a stretch four really but he will most likely play the four position on the offensive end. I strongly believe he will be mainly guarding the opposing teams small forward every night because he isn't a good post defender. His gift of defense would be misused if we don't use him to pester the opposing teams threes all night.
Neato
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Champ
And1: 6,080

Post#43 » by Neato » Fri Jul 4, 2014 11:31 pm

MagicStarwipe wrote:The only reason people say PF is because he wasn't a great shooter in college and they don't think Tobias can play PF lol. He can do both pretty easily depending on the match up, but as Neon said, it will be more a defensive thing. Defensively I think he'll be matched up on 3's quite a bit with Tobias using his heavier frame to battle PF's. I think teams will have to go small on us anyway or we'll run them out of the gym.

For the record, when asked by the Lakers in their workout what position he wanted to play, Gordon responded... "Point forward".

personally I'm not really thinking about tobias, but yes, if you aren't a great shooter, then it's reasonable to think gordon might play closer to the basket through random opportunities until he develops that skill. not saying he won't develop it, but good god that 40% FT shooting scares me as a potential predictor of his long-term shooting abilities.
Neato

Post#44 » by Neato » Fri Jul 4, 2014 11:35 pm

as for his being matched up with 3s quite a bit, i guess i can see that
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,050

Post#45 » by MagicStarwipe » Fri Jul 4, 2014 11:37 pm

Things not being considered. Gordon has a superior handle to Tobias and a quicker first step. He's also a better playmaker. It doesn't matter. They will play to their strengths on offense and take whoever is the better matchup on D.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
Neato

Post#46 » by Neato » Fri Jul 4, 2014 11:44 pm

i mean i think he could do ok at first facing up to the basket. i did consider that. i also considered the defense just sagging off on him eventually. which is fine if we're going with the throw him in the fire and make him learn to shoot. but still, you're not worried about his 40% FT and what implications that could have on his overall shooting abilities in the future?
Truth24
Starter

Post#47 » by Truth24 » Fri Jul 4, 2014 11:49 pm

Neato wrote:i mean i think he could do ok at first facing up to the basket. i did consider that. i also considered the defense just sagging off on him eventually. which is fine if we're going with the throw him in the fire and make him learn to shoot. but still, you're not worried about his 40% FT and what implications that could have on his overall shooting abilities in the future?

I have no doubt that no matter if he is slotted into the three or four, he will always be a face up player. I can see him developing some post moves but he isn't a post up type of player. He will get his points off of cuts, back door screen lobs, put backs, pick and rolls, and iso's. I really don't see him doing a lot of posting him unless it is a complete mismatch on the block.
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#48 » by Orlwillbeback » Fri Jul 4, 2014 11:49 pm

MagicStarwipe wrote:The only reason people say PF is because he wasn't a great shooter in college and they don't think Tobias can play PF lol. He can do both pretty easily depending on the match up, but as Neon said, it will be more a defensive thing. Defensively I think he'll be matched up on 3's quite a bit with Tobias using his heavier frame to battle PF's. I think teams will have to go small on us anyway or we'll run them out of the gym.

For the record, when asked by the Lakers in their workout what position he wanted to play, Gordon responded... "Point forward".

tobias cant guard power forwards.
MellowRose
Banned User
And1: 1,551

Post#49 » by MellowRose » Fri Jul 4, 2014 11:50 pm

On stat sheets, I expect Gordon to be slotted at the PF spot.
Neato

Post#50 » by Neato » Fri Jul 4, 2014 11:52 pm

Truth24 wrote:
Neato wrote:i mean i think he could do ok at first facing up to the basket. i did consider that. i also considered the defense just sagging off on him eventually. which is fine if we're going with the throw him in the fire and make him learn to shoot. but still, you're not worried about his 40% FT and what implications that could have on his overall shooting abilities in the future?

I have no doubt that no matter if he is slotted into the three or four, he will always be a face up player. I can see him developing some post moves but he isn't a post up type of player. He will get his points off of cuts, back door screen lobs, put backs, pick and rolls, and iso's. I really don't see him doing a lot of posting him unless it is a complete mismatch on the block.

well i don't disagree with this. even if the ball is thrown to him in the post, he will just turn around and try to beat his man. at least that's what i imagine
Truth24
Starter

Post#51 » by Truth24 » Fri Jul 4, 2014 11:56 pm

Orlwillbeback wrote:

tobias cant guard power forwards.

Neither can Gordon.
MagicStarwipe
RealGM

Post#52 » by MagicStarwipe » Sat Jul 5, 2014 12:04 am

I'll worry about his shooting once I see how it has progressed in his rookie season. He's 18 and I see no reason why can't develop at the very least as a spot up 3 point shooter. Harkless is a piss poor shooter overall, but has added the ability to hit a wide open 3.

Orlwillbeback wrote:tobias cant guard power forwards.

Well, he can't guard David West. But he does have 20 pounds on Aaron.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#53 » by Orlwillbeback » Sat Jul 5, 2014 12:09 am

Once gordon fills out he will defend power forwards at an elite level, but tobias has already filled out and still cant.
j_n
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,684

Post#54 » by j_n » Sat Jul 5, 2014 12:18 am

Smooth_E wrote:Just realized that AG has a similar build, skill-set, and play style to Josh Smith (except he doesn't seem like a moron)

:o
Cant believe thats the first time I see this comparison, they have so much in common.

Their size and length are very close, as well as their athletic abilities.
They both pass very well for their position.
They are both horrible from the line yet somewhat decent from outside.

A smart and motivated Josh Smith is almost a superstar, great comparison.
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,900

Post#55 » by JF5 » Sat Jul 5, 2014 12:25 am

To me he's a PF with the athleticism and frame of a SF... He's pretty much like Josh smith...
CZ Eddie
Starter
And1: 768

Post#56 » by CZ Eddie » Sat Jul 5, 2014 12:29 am

Has he grown yet?
no
Has he grown yet?
no
Has he grown yet?
no
Has he grown yet?
no
Has he grown yet?
no
Has he grown yet?
no
Has he grown yet?
no
Has he grown yet?
NOOOooo!

sorry, i don't know where that came from. :crazy:

photo hosting
Keep your politics out of my sports
Hilltop
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 731

Post#57 » by Hilltop » Sat Jul 5, 2014 12:30 am

I can definitely see him putting on an extra 20 lbs on that frame and at 18 years of age, he can probably grow a wee bit taller as well. He will be a PF.
MagicStarwipe
RealGM

Post#58 » by MagicStarwipe » Sat Jul 5, 2014 12:32 am

I think AG is more wiry, agile and quick with a better handle.
magic22s
Junior
And1: 116

Post#59 » by magic22s » Sat Jul 5, 2014 12:39 am

100% PF and watch this vedio for Gordon's "power" plays. :nod:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qW7aj8YcwbY[/youtube]
Smooth_E
Sixth Man
And1: 530

Post#60 » by Smooth_E » Sat Jul 5, 2014 1:01 am

j_n wrote:
Smooth_E wrote:Just realized that AG has a similar build, skill-set, and play style to Josh Smith (except he doesn't seem like a moron)

:o
Cant believe thats the first time I see this comparison, they have so much in common.

Their size and length are very close, as well as their athletic abilities.
They both pass very well for their position.
They are both horrible from the line yet somewhat decent from outside.

A smart and motivated Josh Smith is almost a superstar, great comparison.

Thanks, J_N. I appreciate the support.

Yeah, I totally agree with that last sentiment - a smart, motivated Smoove would definitely be a star in this league. I think AG beats him in the basketball IQ department, and I think that will eventually make him the better player. I also believe AG has better handles and passing than Smoove.

I have totally learned to love this pick. His potential seems so much higher than Exum, or is that just my homer goggles? Lol

Return to Orlando Magic