ImageImageImageImage

Why doesn't the NBA update height/wingspan?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Smooth_E
Sixth Man
And1: 530

Why doesn't the NBA update height/wingspan? 

Post#1 » by Smooth_E » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:58 pm

Thinking about our current roster, a few guys are said to have grown since their rookie year (combine measurements). You hear stories from around the league about Kevin Durant now being 6'11", Paul George at 6'10", and most recently Antetokounmpo growing to 6'11". Anyone else ever wonder why the league doesn't update this? I know it's not too big of a deal though, but I'm sure it counts for something.

Thinking about Milwaukee's length, I realized that our team is pretty tall/long (pause) as well. VO mentioned that since the draft he's grown 1 inch (in shoes), and that Harkless and Harris have grown an inch each as well. I apologize that I cannot provide any links, but I'm not trying to mislead anyone here. All heights posted are "in shoes". Anyone else think our team has better than avg size for position?

Guards
Payton - 6'4"
Oladipo - now 6'5" from 6'4"
B. Gordon - 6'3"
Fournier - 6'7"
Green - 6'3"

Forwards
Harkless - now 6'10" from 6'9"
Harris - now 6'9" from 6'8"
Marble - 6'6"
Nicholson - 6'9"
A. Gordon - 6'9"
Frye 6'11"

Centers
Vucevic - 7'0"
Dedmon - 7'0"
O'Quinn - 6'10"
TDJacksonville
Assistant Coach
And1: 242

Re: Why doesn't the NBA update height/wingspan? 

Post#2 » by TDJacksonville » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:24 pm

Dipo, gordon, green in my opinion are undersized. Most shooting guards are atleast 6 foot 5 or taller(im not buying the vo grew an inch.)

Depending harris is average size as a sf. Marble is more of a guard but hes a little undersized for a sf. Nicholson is undersized. Gordon is normal at sf but undersized at pf. Oquinn is a tiny bit undersized at c.

Sent from my LG-E980 using RealGM Forums mobile app
Trailblazers
PG:
SG:
F:
F:
C:
Wzajan89 @ gmail . com
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#3 » by OrlandO » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:35 pm

Oladipo was already 21 at last year's combine... I don't believe for a second he grew an inch, not even going to ask for a source. When did anyone say Harkless grew to 6'10? Last I remember is OS reporting he grew from 6'8.75" at the combine to 6'9 last summer - a quarter of an inch.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,111

Post#4 » by tiderulz » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:51 pm

they are officially measured at the combine. I dont think they are required to be measured again, they ask the teams what the players stats are. Hence why Garnett would always list himself smaller and other players list themselves taller than they are (they think it helps with negotiating contracts)
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,092

Post#5 » by yoyojw17 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:44 pm

OrlandO wrote:Oladipo was already 21 at last year's combine... I don't believe for a second he grew an inch, not even going to ask for a source. When did anyone say Harkless grew to 6'10? Last I remember is OS reporting he grew from 6'8.75" at the combine to 6'9 last summer - a quarter of an inch.

I don't think Vic grew and inch either..... i just think he stood up straight for the measurement. 8-) :lol: 8-)
NEM
RealGM
And1: 2,122

Post#6 » by NEM » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:20 pm

Because it doesn't matter. Why does it matter? An inch here or there doesn't magically change the players skill set.
I live rent free in your head. You know who you are :D

Not changing this sig until Magic win a championship. Started 6/26/2015.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,722

Post#7 » by basketballRob » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:44 pm

TDJacksonville wrote:Dipo, gordon, green in my opinion are undersized. Most shooting guards are atleast 6 foot 5 or taller(im not buying the vo grew an inch.)

Depending harris is average size as a sf. Marble is more of a guard but hes a little undersized for a sf. Nicholson is undersized. Gordon is normal at sf but undersized at pf. Oquinn is a tiny bit undersized at c.

Analytics show that Dipo has more than enough size to be a star at the two guard. He has over a 6'9" wingspan and over a 36" vertical. I think their was only 3 that fit this category in this draft. Smart, Hairston, and someone else, can't find the article from draftnet. Apparently this is a commonality among the majority of star two guards.
TDJacksonville
Assistant Coach
And1: 242

Post#8 » by TDJacksonville » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:49 pm

basketballRob wrote:
TDJacksonville wrote:Dipo, gordon, green in my opinion are undersized. Most shooting guards are atleast 6 foot 5 or taller(im not buying the vo grew an inch.)

Analytics show that Dipo has more than enough size to be a star at the two guard. He has over a 6'9" wingspan and over a 36" vertical. I think their was only 3 that fit this category in this draft. Smart, Hairston, and someone else, can't find the article from draftnet. Apparently this is a commonality among the majority of star two guards.

Analytics do not mean anything. Trust me. My nfl team justified taking luke joeckel because analytics showed gabbert needed better protection. Needless to say those analytics did not work. I do think dipo can be a solid shooting guard but hes still undersized on terms of height.
Trailblazers
PG:
SG:
F:
F:
C:
Wzajan89 @ gmail . com
OrlandO
RealGM

Post#9 » by OrlandO » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:58 am

TDJacksonville wrote:
basketballRob wrote:

Analytics do not mean anything. Trust me. My nfl team justified taking luke joeckel because analytics showed gabbert needed better protection. Needless to say those analytics did not work. I do think dipo can be a solid shooting guard but hes still undersized on terms of height.

if he had a neck he would be an inch or two taller.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,925

Post#10 » by drsd » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:01 am

This reminds me of when the NBA still listed Kemp as 255 when he was clearly 3-bills. And when Shaq was listed as 280, when he might have been closer to 380 (he said he was 340, but even that I am not so sure about).

The fans would love this information and it projects well to the video game market. I am not sure why the NBA does not provide updates to this fan-interested stat. I guess it is one of those, "it is not in the CBA, so the players are not obliged to do it" kind of things.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,722

Post#11 » by basketballRob » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:11 am

Payton is commonly referred to as 6'3" when he is 6'2 1/2 w/o shoes and 6'3 3/4 with shoes. Most players gain 1 1/2 with shoes for example MCW is 6' 4 1/2 but always referred to as 6'6". My point is they should just refer to Payton as 6'4".
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,950

Post#12 » by Last Guardian » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:27 pm

It is more curiosity than important. I think NBA should list true heights and weights for everyone.

As for our team. Harris looks 6'8 to me and Hark maybe 6'9. I do believe VO is 6'5 based on his pics next to Payton. Not sure if vuc is legit 7'0.
Gator Aces
Sophomore
And1: 2

Post#13 » by Gator Aces » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:54 pm

We as fans do not have the updates, but I am pretty sure the GM's and scouts do.
Just my two cents
Smooth_E
Sixth Man

Post#14 » by Smooth_E » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:17 pm

OrlandO wrote:Oladipo was already 21 at last year's combine... I don't believe for a second he grew an inch, not even going to ask for a source. When did anyone say Harkless grew to 6'10? Last I remember is OS reporting he grew from 6'8.75" at the combine to 6'9 last summer - a quarter of an inch.

He measured 6 feet 3¼ inches tall in bare feet at the combine, although the Magic will list him as 6-feet-5.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/201 ... ting-guard

Harkess grew to 6'9", my bad:

Harkless is just 20 years old, and his youth is underscored by the fact that he’s gotten taller since he joined the Magic as a rookie a year ago. The team now says he's 6-feet-9, and the listing seems legit.

On Basketball-Reference, Maurice Harkless is listed at 6-foot-8. However, on OrlandoMagic.com, Harkless is now listed at 6-foot-9. Teams are pretty well known to inflate heights and weights, it is a common practice. However, Josh Robbins of the Orlando Sentinel, who went to a community event hosted by Harkless and Tobias Harris on Wednesday, reports that one inch growth spurt appears to be very real.

http://orlandomagicdaily.com/2013-artic ... 92613.html
Smooth_E
Sixth Man

Post#15 » by Smooth_E » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:19 pm

yoyojw17 wrote:

I don't think Vic grew and inch either..... i just think he stood up straight for the measurement. 8-) :lol: 8-)

He measured 6 feet 3¼ inches tall in bare feet at the combine, although the Magic will list him as 6-feet-5.

Smooth_E
Sixth Man

Post#16 » by Smooth_E » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:20 pm

NEM wrote:Because it doesn't matter. Why does it matter? An inch here or there doesn't magically change the players skill set.

I already said it didn't matter much, jacka**. Why did you even bother to chime in?
OrlandO
RealGM

Post#17 » by OrlandO » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:55 pm

Smooth_E wrote:

Harkess grew to 6'9", my bad:

Harkless is just 20 years old, and his youth is underscored by the fact that he’s gotten taller since he joined the Magic as a rookie a year ago. The team now says he's 6-feet-9, and the listing seems legit.

On Basketball-Reference, Maurice Harkless is listed at 6-foot-8. However, on OrlandoMagic.com, Harkless is now listed at 6-foot-9. Teams are pretty well known to inflate heights and weights, it is a common practice. However, Josh Robbins of the Orlando Sentinel, who went to a community event hosted by Harkless and Tobias Harris on Wednesday, reports that one inch growth spurt appears to be very real.

http://orlandomagicdaily.com/2013-artic ... 92613.html

Eh, doesn't sound like OS is consistent when comparing heights. I think the standard is to go by height with shoes, so using that measurement from the combine should be the base. Dipo was 6'4.25 with shoes at the combine, Magic are probably rounding up if they're listing him at 6'5 because, well, it sounds a lot better for a guard. Listin him at 6'4 would be short changing him. Teams do the generous round up all the time. Harkless was 6' 7.25" without shoes and 6' 8.75" with shoes at the combine, so I'm not sure where basketball reference is getting the 6'8 flat number from. He's said to be 6'9 now. That's a .25" growth with shoes. I don't think they're saying he's 6'9 without shoes because that would make him 6'10.5" with shoes and there's just no way...

Return to Orlando Magic