ImageImageImageImage

WT: New Lottery System

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,604

Re: WT: New Lottery System 

Post#41 » by SOUL » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:46 pm

I don't mind the current system but I also don't like 10 teams tanking lol.. I still blame Cleveland.
Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,534

Post#42 » by Furinkazan » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:57 pm

I dont like the current system so I'd take any upgrade.
mr2good
Senior
And1: 355

Post#43 » by mr2good » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:19 pm

Guys, no one is talking about how beneficial this could be for the magic in the future. I hope this gets implemented next year. The magic are clearly no longer trying to be bottom feeders. With this new system, it's a win win for us to fight for a playoff spot. If we make it, great progress. If we're on the cusp and don't make it, we still have a GREAT shot at a top 6 pick.

It's almost too pefect for us with how we timed our rebuild!
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,918

Post#44 » by drsd » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:01 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:Actually, I created a thread with my idea about a year ago. So, this is a rehash. But, I gave you the And1!!!

Bill Simmons came up with an idea a couple years back that the top-7 teams in each conference immediately qualify and the bottom 8 have a seeded single-elimination tourney for the 8 seed. He spent a great deal of time stating i) how this will end tanking, ii) will be a fan favorite event, and most importantly, iii) will be loved by the networks and bring in significant revenues to the NBA.

Potterman
Lead Assistant
And1: 35

Post#45 » by Potterman » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:23 pm

Give players one more year of development at the NCAA level.

This should help make the "bust" lottery picks a little harder. If you want to modify the draft for parity simply give all teams the same odds for a No 1 pick

You will have stronger drafts because you will know the prospects better. You wont have teams legitimately tanking.

Teams that suck, can attempt to bring in new people via free agency, trades, and cap room. ALL teams, have cap room and players will want to get paid regardless of the market.
:rockon: DEFCON - FIRESALE ON THE MAGIC! :rockon:
Neato
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Champ
And1: 6,080

Post#46 » by Neato » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:29 am

at least it's not the wheel
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,918

Post#47 » by drsd » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:51 am

What I take from all of this is that the NBA want to move towards ensuring that the worst teams have the best lottery odds while at the same time encouraging bad teams to try to win games late in the season. I do not think a digger with the number of ping-pong balls can achieve both goals, which largely are in conflict with one another.

Making the top 6 picks part of the lottery might make some sense, as another proposal. This simply creates more chaos at the top of the draft (great for fans and TV coverage of the draft). But here the worst team, in principal, could draft 7th. Nearly every year we could expect on of the best 5 teams not in the playoffs getting to the top 6. Every year there would be revolts from this at both sides. I cannot see that proposal gaining traction.
OrlDave
General Manager
And1: 3,017

Post#48 » by OrlDave » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:54 pm

Neato wrote:at least it's not the wheel

God the wheel is the dumbest thing ever devised (at least relating to talent distribution). Small market teams may as well just close up shop if that happens.
orthoman
Senior
And1: 207

Post#49 » by orthoman » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:00 pm

Charles Barkley said his system of lottery is brilliant...every team just picks a ping pong ball with the number
on it and that is your pick ...problem solved. :wink:
OrlandoMagic
Lead Assistant
And1: 435

Post#50 » by OrlandoMagic » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:09 pm

Screw it give everyone 1 ping pong ball and select the entire draft order. Put it on national TV. Imagine Spurs getting the number 1 pick after winning the Championship.
KingRobb02
Lead Assistant
And1: 917

Post#51 » by KingRobb02 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:12 pm

Potterman wrote:Give players one more year of development at the NCAA level.

This should help make the "bust" lottery picks a little harder. If you want to modify the draft for parity simply give all teams the same odds for a No 1 pick

You will have stronger drafts because you will know the prospects better. You wont have teams legitimately tanking.

Teams that suck, can attempt to bring in new people via free agency, trades, and cap room. ALL teams, have cap room and players will want to get paid regardless of the market.

GMs will always be idiots. You think an extra year prevents Hasheem Thabeet and Adam Morrison out of the top 3 while the Kawhi Leonard and Ty Lawsons of the world fall out of the lottery. It's not the kid's fault that GMs aren't good at their job. I think there should be no NCAA requirement at all. At least then we can get rid of the fallacy that makes people believe that more college is better for knowing who is good and who isn't. I mean, there are still people waiting on Thomas Robinson and Derrick Williams to be stars in this league.
KingRobb02
Lead Assistant
And1: 917

Post#52 » by KingRobb02 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:17 pm

OrlandoMagic wrote:Screw it give everyone 1 ping pong ball and select the entire draft order. Put it on national TV. Imagine Spurs getting the number 1 pick after winning the Championship.

I would actually be all for this if the cap was harder. Can you imagine if the heat won the Anthony Davis lottery and immediately had to put Chris Bosh on the trade block because they had a cheaper replacement? The league would be a lot more fun to follow. Plus, it wouldn't be like the current system where we pretty much force the best prospects to spend 7 years in a basketball purgatory like Sacremento. If the Spurs had gotten Cousins, would anyone be questioning if he had the attitude to win?
Potterman
Lead Assistant

Post#53 » by Potterman » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:44 pm

KingRobb02 wrote:
OrlandoMagic wrote:Screw it give everyone 1 ping pong ball and select the entire draft order. Put it on national TV. Imagine Spurs getting the number 1 pick after winning the Championship.

I would actually be all for this if the cap was harder. Can you imagine if the heat won the Anthony Davis lottery and immediately had to put Chris Bosh on the trade block because they had a cheaper replacement? The league would be a lot more fun to follow. Plus, it wouldn't be like the current system where we pretty much force the best prospects to spend 7 years in a basketball purgatory like Sacremento. If the Spurs had gotten Cousins, would anyone be questioning if he had the attitude to win?

Only if the Spurs passed on him to begin with. Which we will never know.
Potterman
Lead Assistant

Post#54 » by Potterman » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:48 pm

KingRobb02 wrote:
Potterman wrote:Give players one more year of development at the NCAA level.

GMs will always be idiots. You think an extra year prevents Hasheem Thabeet and Adam Morrison out of the top 3 while the Kawhi Leonard and Ty Lawsons of the world fall out of the lottery. It's not the kid's fault that GMs aren't good at their job. I think there should be no NCAA requirement at all. At least then we can get rid of the fallacy that makes people believe that more college is better for knowing who is good and who isn't. I mean, there are still people waiting on Thomas Robinson and Derrick Williams to be stars in this league.

Teams that have sucky management will suck regardless of the level of "fixing" anyone does. This isn't to fix the teams that suck. It's to help the teams that are marginal management to not suck more. I wholeheartedly disagree that drafts wouldn't be better if we knew more about a prospects development from two more years of maturing from high school.

To me, this eliminates guesswork similar to how the 2 year minimum helps football. The biggest "guess position" in the NFL is QB. While the NBA is going away from the Point Guard to a meshed combo guard rotation. So I don't see it being an issue.

You will still have bad teams that always draft on potential. Well an extra year will help eliminate the "guess" and help draft picks like Derrick Williams not to happen. It still could though. But hey, I am not here to help the bottom feeders, i'm here to address tanking and propose a new "better" lottery system.
Swiftraven
Senior
And1: 124

Post#55 » by Swiftraven » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:50 pm

OrlDave wrote:

God the wheel is the dumbest thing ever devised (at least relating to talent distribution). Small market teams may as well just close up shop if that happens.

Meh, I liked the wheel idea.
The whole "OMG top players will stay in school if they know the Bucks will get the number 1 pick!@!@!"" is complete and utter garbage. Never, ever would that happen. They want to get through their first contract as soon as possible and add in the potential to be hurt during that extra year, they would still come out.

I stated this before, I think it is hilarious that the owners over reacted and changed it when we got the number 1 pick back to back years and now are trying to change it back to a more balanced system once they saw that it promoted tanking.
OrlDave
General Manager
And1: 3,017

Post#56 » by OrlDave » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:50 pm

Swiftraven wrote:
OrlDave wrote:

Meh, I liked the wheel idea.
The whole "OMG top players will stay in school if they know the Bucks will get the number 1 pick!@!@!"" is complete and utter garbage. Never, ever would that happen. They want to get through their first contract as soon as possible and add in the potential to be hurt during that extra year, they would still come out.

I stated this before, I think it is hilarious that the owners over reacted and changed it when we got the number 1 pick back to back years and now are trying to change it back to a more balanced system once they saw that it promoted tanking.

Certain teams already get the free agents (by and large). But they don't get bad enough to get a high pick. Imagine those teams, already prime destinations, getting high level draft picks every few years. Nobody chooses to go to Min or Charlotte. If they can't reliably get talent from the draft they may as well just close shop. It's a bad idea. Every league weights new talent to the worst teams. There is a good and solid reason for that. Want to watch fans of small teams basically give up on the sport? Then institute the wheel.

Return to Orlando Magic