ImageImageImageImage

2014-2015 depth chart (post Marble-signing ):

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Smooth_E
Sixth Man
And1: 530

Post#1 » by Smooth_E » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:40 pm

Thoughts/corrections for these line-ups?

PG - Payton/Ridnour
SG - Oladipo/Fournier/B.Gordon/Green
SF - Harris/Harkless/Marble
PF - Frye/Gordon/Nicholson
C - Vucevic/O'Quinn/Dedmon

Situationals:

Starters (beginning of the season)
PG - Oladipo
SG - Fournier
SF - Harris
PF - Frye
C - Vucevic

Bench
PG - Payton
SG - B.Gordon
SF - Harkless
PF - A.Gordon
C - O'Quinn

3rd-String/Reserve
PG - Ridnour
SG - Green
SF - Marble
PF - Nicholson
C - Dedmon

Tall
Oladipo
Fournier
Harris
Frye
Vucevic

Small
Payton
B.Gordon
Oladipo
Harris
O'Quinn

3-Point
B.Gordon
Green
Fournier
Harris
Frye

Defense
Oladipo
Harkless
A.Gordon
O'Quinn
Dedmon

Athletic
Oladipo
Harkless
Harris
A.Gordon
Dedmon

FT
B.Gordon
Green
Fournier
Nicholson
Frye

Hybrid quick/small
Payton
B.Gordon
Oladipo
Harris
A.Gordon

Ball-movement
Payton
Oladipo
Fournier
A.Gordon
Vucevic
LetItRain
Starter
And1: 224

Re: 2014-2015 depth chart (post Marble-signing ): 

Post#2 » by LetItRain » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:12 pm

It will probably be like this to start the season:

PG - Oladipo/Payton/Ridnour
SG - Fournier/B.Gordon/Green
SF - Harris/Harkless/Marble
PF - Frye/Gordon/Nicholson
C - Vucevic/O'Quinn/Dedmon
LetItRain
Starter
And1: 224

Post#3 » by LetItRain » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:13 pm

I just don't see Ben Gordon not getting any minutes to start the season. I think eventually, Fournier will back up Oladipo at the 2.
LBPTarHeel27
RealGM
And1: 1,512

Post#4 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:19 pm

I would expect to see Marble in the D-League almost exclusively...barring injury.
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,349

Post#5 » by tooler » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:41 pm

I've said this in multiple threads now. I think people are projecting their hopes and dreams if they think Fournier is ahead of Ben Gordon.
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,900

Post#6 » by JF5 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:08 pm

tooler wrote:I've said this in multiple threads now. I think people are projecting their hopes and dreams if they think Fournier is ahead of Ben Gordon.

Hows that?

Gordon has been an inferior player to Fournier for the last year or so. Unless Gordon proves other wise I'm not sure he'll start.
LBPTarHeel27
RealGM
And1: 1,512

Post#7 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:28 pm

tooler wrote:I've said this in multiple threads now. I think people are projecting their hopes and dreams if they think Fournier is ahead of Ben Gordon.

Yeah...Fournier showed a lot in the last half of the season last year. He is definitely in the race to start at SG and I wouldn't be surprised if he wins it.
tooler
General Manager

Post#8 » by tooler » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:38 pm

JF5 wrote:Hows that?

Gordon has been an inferior player to Fournier for the last year or so. Unless Gordon proves other wise I'm not sure he'll start.

I expect him to prove otherwise for the sake of his career. I know he's kind of a bum, but I expect a change of scenery to help him.

I also suspect JV will lean toward experience when he decides on starters. Not that Ridnour and Willie Green will start, but if Fournier and Gordon are close, I just have a feeling he will pick Gordon.

Last year you could argue Oladipo outplayed Jameer, but he still came off the bench. That's not apples to apples because it could have been a tanking maneuver and Jameer had a history with the team. It's still something to think about.

I'm not saying it's set in stone. I just think people should prepare for the idea that BG starts. Very few on this board think it will happen, based on the lineup poll results. Fournier sounds like a lock to most people here. There could be a lot of wailing here on opening night.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,160

Post#9 » by OrlChamps2030 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:46 pm

tooler wrote:

I expect him to prove otherwise for the sake of his career. I know he's kind of a bum, but I expect a change of scenery to help him.

I also suspect JV will lean toward experience when he decides on starters. Not that Ridnour and Willie Green will start, but if Fournier and Gordon are close, I just have a feeling he will pick Gordon.

Last year you could argue Oladipo outplayed Jameer, but he still came off the bench. That's not apples to apples because it could have been a tanking maneuver and Jameer had a history with the team. It's still something to think about.

I'm not saying it's set in stone. I just think people should prepare for the idea that BG starts. Very few on this board think it will happen, based on the lineup poll results. Fournier sounds like a lock to most people here. There could be a lot of wailing here on opening night.

This place will probably blow up if B. Gordon starts over Fournier/Payton or if Harkless starts over Harris/A.Gordon
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#10 » by Orlwillbeback » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:48 am

have a crazy feeling harkless will start over harris.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,151

Post#11 » by Def Swami » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:24 am

Ben Gordon isn't better than either Oladipo or Fournier. He should be on the bench. In fact, I think there's a greater chance that Moe Harkless starts at shooting guard than Ben Gordon; it was talked about last season and experimented with at times.

I expect the opening night lineup to look like...

Oladipo
Fournier
Harris
Frye
Vucevic

...but it wouldn't shock me if we just started Payton and decided to move Oladipo to his natural position of shooting guard from the jump. Fournier in the backcourt with Oladipo provides another ball handler in the back court to take the pressure of playmaking responsibilities from Oladipo, enabling VO to play off the ball more. At the same time, he's another shooter on the floor to help provide spacing.

The bench will look like...
Payton
B. Gordon
Harkless
A. Gordon
O'Quinn

Ben Gordon is instant offense off the bench. He'll come in with Payton in the backcourt and simply be a shooter to help space the floor for the likes of Harkless and Gordon. The 2nd unit is going to be full of energy, force TO's and get out in transition a ton.
tooler
General Manager

Post#12 » by tooler » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:03 am

Def Swami wrote:Fournier in the backcourt with Oladipo provides another ball handler in the back court to take the pressure of playmaking responsibilities from Oladipo, enabling VO to play off the ball more.

That's where I started too. But Payton is a rookie. He could use some help with playmaking as well.

I just have a suspicion they want to keep the ball in Oladipo's hands another half year to see what he can do when he drives and dishes to veteran shooters like Gordon and Frye. The core, Oladipo-Harris-Vucevic, plus two veteran shooters. I bet that's how they start the year.

I can't guarantee I'm right, but I think the odds are greater than 27 to 4.

The 2nd unit is going to be full of energy, force TO's and get out in transition a ton.

It would have even more energy without that old man at shooting guard. :) If Ben Gordon starts, then silver lining is we get to see Payton-Fournier-Harkless-Gordon-KOQ run people off the floor.

In any case, we're just quibbling because there are so many exciting ways to do it. I don't think I've ever been more excited about a 10-man rotation.
NavalAviator94
Analyst
And1: 1,456

Post#13 » by NavalAviator94 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:12 am

Zmill wrote:
tooler wrote:

This place will probably blow up if B. Gordon starts over Fournier/Payton or if Harkless starts over Harris/A.Gordon

Your absolutely correct. There is no scenario where BG starts unless there is some sort of injury. According to some friends I have close to the team, these acquisitions were well thought out and balance the strengths and weaknesses of the starters/reserves.

Payton & Oladipo will be the starting backcourt. Payton will struggle as any rookie will however he'll have Oladipo there to help provide additional ball handling. Payton's height will help hide some of those rookie decision making abilities too. There's a reason Phil Jackson loves big PG's and Payton is a true PG. What will make them both successful however is Channing F. He was the perfect acquisition as he will create space, allowing those 2 to do what they do best and get into the lane, critical for them to develop.

B Gordon will be on the floor when Channing F is not. We need guards that can spread the floor when our young front court needs space to work inside.

Ben Gordon is definitely an interesting p/u. He has the opportunity to very successful with our team make up and create more value for both sides. I think he could handle some PG duties in limited minutes too. His best(and Last) year in Chicago he played along side rookie Derrick Rose averaging 20 pts and 3.4 assists per game. With the right system and health, he provides an intriguing option. The right fit matters as we've seen time and again. Player has a great few years in the right system, signs a big contract elsewhere and struggles as Ben has with Detroit and Charlotte.

There are all kinds of possibilities with Payton/Oladipo/Gordon/Fournier supporting the team needs based on whose playing up front. We have so many possibilities factoring in the combinations at the 3,4 & 5. The biggest ? in my mind is actually our coach. A young team like the magic need to start learning how to win. Can this coach manage all of the flexibility this roster provides and put them in winning situations? I think this is the defining year for JV and his team. They need to teach these players how to comfortably play multiple positions and they need to put them all in situations that they can succeed in. I don't see wins and losses as his definition as much as player growth in multiple positions and the ability for him to recognize how to put together the right combinations against the situations they play against. That's a tall order for any coach but it's a must to be successful with this team. The friends I have close to the situation all have said JV is their guy but I have to believe this will be a defining year for him.
tooler
General Manager

Post#14 » by tooler » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:20 am

Orlwillbeback wrote:have a crazy feeling harkless will start over harris.

I had that feeling for a while too -- even more 3 point shooters to spread the floor for Oladipo. But I've backed off and agree they probably benched Tobias last year for tanking purposes. He's also a bit more "instant offense" than Harkless if Oladipo happens to be struggling. That is, if they're not expecting Ben Gordon to serve in that role too. I'd prefer they keep him as a spot up shooter rather than a crutch to dump the ball to. Otherwise we have another Aaron Afflalo situation.

NavalAviator94 wrote:B Gordon will be on the floor when Channing F is not. We need guards that can spread the floor when our young front court needs space to work inside.

Yeah I was right there with you. Have a veteran on the floor at all times, plus instant offense if the young guys start bumbling around. But Fournier can handle the ball and shoot as well. We'll see.

One other wrinkle: they may have worked out an arrangement with Gordon in order to bring him here. I know they're paying him a lot more money than he deserves and he should appreciate the opportunity even if he comes off the bench. Just a hunch.
NavalAviator94
Analyst
And1: 1,456

Post#15 » by NavalAviator94 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:32 am

Yeah I was right there with you. Have a veteran on the floor at all times, plus instant offense if the young guys start bumbling around. But Fournier can handle the ball and shoot as well. We'll see.

One other wrinkle: they may have worked out an arrangement with Gordon in order to bring him here. I know they're paying him a lot more money than he deserves and he should appreciate the opportunity even if he comes off the bench. Just a hunch.[/quote]

Fournier is definitely another interesting player and if he can truly handle the ball, make smart decisions and shoot he is nice insurance if Ben Gordon doesn't have a bounce back year.

I wish I knew more about the B Gordon signing other than what we've all read so you may be right. I do think the situation is right for him to succeed and if he does it's good for team play and a trade asset with a decent salary who the acquiring team doesn't have to pay. I have a feeling there are a few players they are after and they know they are going to need contracts of size without gutting the roster of youngsters.
Baka_La Flame
Pro Prospect
And1: 198

Post#16 » by Baka_La Flame » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:38 am

Starting Toby Frye and Vuc seriously worries me. We could get killed defensively playing those 3 together which is why I think it would make more sense to start Moe or AG. Tobais would still get the lions share of the playing time but as a sixth man instead.

Dipo/EP/Ridnour
Fournier/B.Gordon/Dipo/Green
Harkless/Harris/AG/Marble
Frye/Harris/KO/AG
Vuc/KO/Frye/Deadmond

RIP Nicholson... JV has his work cut out for him.
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#17 » by Orlwillbeback » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:52 am

Orlandipo wrote:Starting Toby Frye and Vuc seriously worries me. We could get killed defensively playing those 3 together which is why I think it would make more sense to start Moe or AG. Tobais would still get the lions share of the playing time but as a sixth man instead.

Dipo/EP/Ridnour
Frye/Harris/KO/AG
Vuc/KO/Frye/Deadmond

harris can guard 3's though just not fours.
Baka_La Flame
Pro Prospect
And1: 198

Post#18 » by Baka_La Flame » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:15 am

Orlwillbeback wrote:
Orlandipo wrote:Starting Toby Frye and Vuc seriously worries me. We could get killed defensively playing those 3 together which is why I think it would make more sense to start Moe or AG. Tobais would still get the lions share of the playing time but as a sixth man instead.

Dipo/EP/Ridnour
Frye/Harris/KO/AG
Vuc/KO/Frye/Deadmond

Not really.. and save the analytics. I've seen my fair share of games and Tobias couldn't stay with most 3s he was matched up with.. hell he could barley guard 4s but I feel a lot more comfortable with him guarding the post then the perimeter.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,501

Post#19 » by MagicFan101 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:02 pm

Orlwillbeback wrote:

Dipo/EP/Ridnour
Frye/Harris/KO/AG
Vuc/KO/Frye/Deadmond

Both of these comments are rediculous.

The playoffs are an incredibly unrealistic long shot for this roster regardless of our choice in starting lineups. So who cares if we get killed defensively with this lineup versus that lineup? The concern regarding our lineup should be what is best for our young talent. For some guys, tossing them into the fire is best but that isn't true for everyone. JV will have to figure out what is best for each guy.

... no, Harris can not guard. We can just leave it there and be right, but if you want to be specific then no he can't guard 3's.
pokerfan12
Starter
And1: 1

Post#20 » by pokerfan12 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:02 pm

harris guarded the 3 just fine he just struggled against guarding the big 4's(david west). he's actually better defensively at his position then vucci is at his.

http://www.magicbasketballonline.com/20 ... rotectors/
THIS MAGIC FAN HAS HIS HEAD HELD HIGH... NO MATTER WHAT.

Return to Orlando Magic