ImageImageImageImage

Magic player comparisons

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

MagicHolland
General Manager
And1: 301

Magic player comparisons 

Post#1 » by MagicHolland » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:49 am

Summertime is really slow and I have some time on my hands.. Just for fun lets make some comparisons.. Reasoning for comparisons may vary because some might go by playing style, others by impact. For example Vic could play like Jordan but have half the impact..

To start of I definately don't expect all of our young guys to reach the levels of the comparisons, if they would we would be NBA champs for the next decade :wink:

Dewayne Dedmon

Comparison: Steven Hunter. Tall lanky guy, can block shots, but bites on shotfakes. I'd say he has a better motor than Hunter though.

Evan Fournier

Comparison: Kevin Martin. Not an explosive scorer but can definately create for himself an others. Defense is not his strongest skill.

Aaron Gordon

Comparison: Shawn Marion. Skillset to me is pretty similar, I hope Aaron will grow into a strong and quick PF though. Think Blake Griffin with defense.

Maurice Harkless

Comparison: Trevor Ariza. Solid 1-1 defender, solid three point shooter and the occasional athletic highlight play. Not much of a ball handler/creator.

Tobias Harris

Comparison: Carmelo Anthony. Just by the way he moves on the court and his shooting form etcetera I feel like this comparison is warranted. Off course Carmelo is a better shooter.

Devyn Marble

Comparison: Nick Young. Just a natural gifted scorer. I don't think he has the speed or build to really make an impact in the NBA. But like Nick Young you can see he has a great feel for scoring the ball.

Andrew Nicholson

Comparison: Al Jefferson (?). There should be a much better comparison, I just can't come up tih it now. Where I think he resembles Al is his ability to score with his back to the basket and his perimeter shot, also defense not being his greatest asset.

Kyle O'Quinn

Comparison: Charles Oakley. Good defender, passer and a solid shot from around the bucket.

Victor Oladipo

Comparison: Dwyane Wade. Comparison has been made before, but I think it's a solid one. Outside shooting not being their strenght, yet take people of the dribble, solid mid range and althletic highlight plays. Active defenders especially playing passing lanes.

Elfrid Payton

Comparison: Gary Payton. A very similar skillset but Gary Payton had a great low post game.

Nikola Vucevic

Comparison: Chris Kaman. Not much of a rim defender but a strong rebounder and can definatly put up some points. Kaman once was an allstar and I expect Vuc to be one some day.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,918

Re: Magic player comparisons 

Post#2 » by drsd » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:39 pm

PG-Gary Payton
SG-Dwyane Wade, Nick Young, Kevin Martin
SF-Carmelo Anthony, Trevor Ariza
PF-Shawn Marion, Al Jefferson
C-Chris Kaman, Charles Oakley, Steven Hunter

This is an awesome team you assembled! It needs PG depth, but wow!

Smooth_E
Sixth Man
And1: 530

Post#3 » by Smooth_E » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:05 pm

Pretty good comparisons. Here are mine (with a few adjustments based on MY OWN views):

PG-Gary Payton
SG-Dwyane Wade, JASON TERRY, Kevin Martin
SF-DANNY GRANGER, Trevor Ariza
PF-JOSH SMITH, TROY MURPHY
C-TALLER ELTON BRAND, Charles Oakley, Steven Hunter
T-Cat
Sixth Man
And1: 428

Post#4 » by T-Cat » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:17 pm

PG-CP3
SG-M.Jordan
SF-Charles Barkley
PF-Shawn Kemp
C-Brook Lopez
drsd
RealGM

Post#5 » by drsd » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:16 am

MagicHolland wrote:
Victor Oladipo

Comparison: Dwyane Wade. Comparison has been made before, but I think it's a solid one. Outside shooting not being their strenght, yet take people of the dribble, solid mid range and althletic highlight plays. Active defenders especially playing passing lanes.

It is reported that Oladipo is spending the Summer in Bloomington with Wade. Hmm.

j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#6 » by j-ragg » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:30 pm

I see Marble as more of a Rip Hamilton. Good footwork off the ball, not explosive but plays smart.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
MagicHolland
General Manager

Post#7 » by MagicHolland » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:44 pm

j-ragg wrote:I see Marble as more of a Rip Hamilton. Good footwork off the ball, not explosive but plays smart.

Yeah I thought about that comparison but RIP was just constantly coming over screens and basically play like Redick and Ray Allen with less range and more post up skill. Another comparison I was thinking about was Ron Mercer.
MagicHolland
General Manager

Post#8 » by MagicHolland » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:45 pm

drsd wrote:
MagicHolland wrote:
Victor Oladipo

It is reported that Oladipo is spending the Summer in Bloomington with Wade. Hmm.

I have not see that report. Now I hope Wade is not recruiting him like he did with Bosh and James :wink:
drsd
RealGM

Post#9 » by drsd » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:31 pm

MagicHolland wrote:I have not see that report. Now I hope Wade is not recruiting him like he did with Bosh and James :wink:

LINK

drsd
RealGM

Post#10 » by drsd » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:19 am

From Wade:

We just had a great 3 days of getting better and going back to the basic and fundamentals of the game. Big thanks to my coach #TomCrean and his staff for opening up there home for @ud40 @norriscole @mchalmers15 #joshmcroberts and myself.. #CampIU #leadership

[instagram]photo://instagram.com/p/r5U6NuFCLE/[/instagram]
FloridaHoosier
Starter
And1: 1,083

Post#11 » by FloridaHoosier » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:17 pm

drsd wrote:..

From Wade:

We just had a great 3 days of getting better and going back to the basic and fundamentals of the game. Big thanks to my coach #TomCrean and his staff for opening up there home for @ud40 @norriscole @mchalmers15 #joshmcroberts and myself.. #CampIU #leadership

[instagram]photo://instagram.com/p/r5U6NuFCLE/[/instagram]

You beat me to it. I didn't scroll down far enough, posted it too, then deleted it! LOL! I don't think he's recruiting him, just doing Coach Crean a favor.
"Don't let the pressure exceed the pleasure." "Try not to suck."
"I don't vibrate at that frequency." ~ Joe Maddon
mojosodope
Sixth Man
And1: 459

Post#12 » by mojosodope » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:32 pm

Tobes playing against.....his comparison

[instagram]http://instagram.com/p/r5jkTJB4mU/[/instagram]
in-limbo
Sixth Man
And1: 362

Post#13 » by in-limbo » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:48 pm

Damn man, I wanna see some of these workouts. This season is agonizingly far away.
drsd
RealGM

Post#14 » by drsd » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:01 am

in-limbo wrote:Damn man, I wanna see some of these workouts. This season is agonizingly far away.

Every story written about every Magician has always rad, "and he has spent all his time in the gym improving his body and strengthening his game ..."

If every Magician overachieves and that harmonizes at a team level, perhaps Orlando is a true dark horse for a playoff slot.

drsd
RealGM

Post#15 » by drsd » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:01 am

mojosodope wrote:Tobes playing against.....his comparison

[instagram]http://instagram.com/p/r5jkTJB4mU/[/instagram]

Harris has really sculpted his body. Looking at the below chart, he looks to be well below 10% body fat at this point. He should be explosive and that reduced weight should relieve a great deal of pressure off of his ankle.

Return to Orlando Magic