ImageImageImageImage

OT: Yall need to listen to this dude

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

MellowRose
Banned User
And1: 1,551

OT: Yall need to listen to this dude 

Post#1 » by MellowRose » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:13 pm

Been **** with Kevin Gates since his dread days, which was around '07.

Was incarcerated from '09-'11 for possession of drugs and firearms. I can honestly say, bruh came out a new man.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF3-3Ya4B4M[/youtube]

-----------------------------------------
Kevin : The Individual

He completed his masters in psychology while incarcerated. Much respect. Take a listen of his interviews, since he always spittin the truth.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ3UNT6RiCU[/youtube]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_rNBo19E90[/youtube]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUl9oJ3uff0[/youtube]

Now, to his music. He's said many times that he suffers from "cases" of depression, and music is his only outlet. Whatever he's feeling at the moment, he gon write about that, and that's refreshing. Not too many rappers out here who are ready to open up like he does. I can go on and on, but ima let his music speak for itself.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYDL0iNBuaM[/youtube]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kH3Q9GVNDc[/youtube]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE4UNGlu-Ak[/youtube]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc5DZPdlTzE[/youtube]

If you aint got much time to listen to a lot of his music, just listen to "Tiger" and "Smiling Faces" first.

Anyways, just wanted to let yall know what I'm bumping right now. This dude gon blow up real soon, I hope. I got some fam in Loui., and I know this dude already a household name over there.
TreasureCoast
Analyst
And1: 2,745

Re: OT: Yall need to listen to this dude 

Post#2 » by TreasureCoast » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:13 pm

Who the **** cares what you're "bumping" right now? This isn't Facebook

When did this forum stop being a basketball forum?
Driguez
General Manager
And1: 2,028

Post#3 » by Driguez » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:43 pm

Beast_Reality wrote:Who the **** cares what you're "bumping" right now? This isn't Facebook

It stops being one every offseason. I don't care for the post but you can always ignore it.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using RealGM Forums mobile app
Huevos Bancheros
MellowRose
Banned User

Post#4 » by MellowRose » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:13 pm

Beast_Reality wrote:Who the **** cares what you're "bumping" right now? This isn't Facebook

Well, IDK about you, but I appreciate it when someone brings a product they like to my attention. The post wasn't created with the intention of being egotistical, and about what I am listening to, it was to bring to your attention an artist you may not have heard about and someone you may potentially like to follow.

Seeing as we don't have an active music thread, I decided to make a thread about someone I feel has quality music. If you don't like this type of music, then feel free to ignore it. This board hasn't been very active, and I'd rather talk about this than Harkless VS. Barnes or some other topic that I'm not interested in.

FYI, I don't use FB, IG, Twitter, or any of that other nonsense.

Hope you're not having a bad day, bro.
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,975

Post#5 » by Nyce_1 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:37 pm

I haven't listened to his music yet, but I watched/listened to his interview on Hot 97 earlier this week, and was impressed with the type of person he is. I then listened to a few other radio interviews, but haven't had the chance to listen to his music yet. Dude is real.
ivDT
RealGM
And1: 1,578

Post#6 » by ivDT » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:49 pm

cats like this should leave rap alone and write books or do lecture tours.

i got about a minute into "tiger" before i had to shut if off. i honestly don't care how "real" they are, his lyrics are basic as hell and don't even rhyme a lot of the time. that beat sounds like the same damn cookie cutter beat i hear every other mixtape rapper and his mom using.

gave it a second listen, this time from start to finish. i'll add that the hook on this song is ridiculous, but not in a good way.

i have no idea what he's trying to do or who this sort of music is supposed to appeal to. it's just...ugh....

"emotional authenticity" and "realness" are very easy to do. (and even easier to fake. not that that's what's happening here, just saying...)

clever lyricism, on the other hand? not so much.

really hoping this dude finds a more productive use for his masters degree. seriously. it's gonna be hard with those tats on his neck and face, though.
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,418

Post#7 » by UCFJayBird » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:59 pm

Normally I don't mind an off topic post if it serves any real relevance to the general population of the board (citizens of the Orlando area, big national stories, etc).

But some music someone thinks is good? May I refer you to the Media Lounge? You'll likely find a better discussion there.
MellowRose
Banned User

Post#8 » by MellowRose » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:02 pm

ivDT wrote:cats like this should leave rap alone and write books or do lecture tours.

i got about a minute into "tiger" before i had to shut if off. i honestly don't care how "real" they are, his lyrics are basic as hell and don't even rhyme a lot of the time. that beat sounds like the same damn cookie cutter beat i hear every other mixtape rapper and his mom using.

gave it a second listen, this time from start to finish. i'll add that the hook on this song is ridiculous, but not in a good way.

i have no idea what he's trying to do or who this sort of music is supposed to appeal to. it's just...ugh....

"emotional authenticity" and "realness" are very easy to do. (and even easier to fake. not that that's what's happening here, just saying...)

clever lyricism, on the other hand? not so much.

really hoping this dude finds a more productive use for his masters degree. seriously. it's gonna be hard with those tats on his neck and face, though.

Yea, he'said not a masterful lyricist by any strech of the imagination. He does, however, have a way with imagery. You can not only visualize what he's saying, but also feel the pain in his voice. Also, when I listem to cats like Gates, im not listening for clever rhymes, I'm looking for someone being real about life. I'm not real down with the "cars, money, bitches" mantra that has taken over rap music.

His music is definitely not for everyone.
MellowRose
Banned User

Post#9 » by MellowRose » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:06 pm

UCFJayBird wrote:Normally I don't mind an off topic post if it serves any real relevance to the general population of the board (citizens of the Orlando area, big national stories, etc).

But some music someone thinks is good? May I refer you to the Media Lounge? You'll likely find a better discussion there.

Then mods can feel free to shut this down. No skin off my back. Guess I'll remember to post only about topics such as:
Harmless vs. Harris
Harmless vs. Barnes
Henny sucks
Henny is God
Trade vuc

Etc..

Whatever. It's all good.
purpleswordfish
Rookie
And1: 540

Post#10 » by purpleswordfish » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:12 pm

Your taste in music and opinions on basketball are equal in quality. I find that interesting.

Sent from my SM-N900V using RealGM Forums mobile app
MellowRose
Banned User

Post#11 » by MellowRose » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:57 pm

purpleswordfish wrote:Your taste in music and opinions on basketball are equal in quality. I find that interesting.

Sent from my SM-N900V using RealGM Forums mobile app

You want to know why I respect Gates so much? Because he taught me an invaluable lesson, and anyone who teaches me a lesson is someone I respect and support. What I've learned from him will most likely go over your head, so I'm not going to waste my time. Just know that it's that lesson which has made me a better person in my ever progressing journey to become the best I can be, and is allowing me to read your message without getting turnt up.

Have a good night, all you keyboard warriors on here.
FFBlitzace
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,777

Post#12 » by FFBlitzace » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:39 am

Dr3, if you don't mind, I'm gonna sit in your Recliner of Rage for a minute.

Disclaimer: I'm a white guy who doesn't listen to rap music. But I'm not a closed-minded idiot either. This is strictly an observation of mine.

Why am I constantly seeing people attempting to overly romanticize and glorify the merits of hip hop as an art form? It's like this group of fans have some huge chip on their shoulder, and they feel this compulsive need to convince others (and also, perhaps, themselves) that it's not all about just pimps and hoes and guns. It's pretentious and obnoxious. We get it, there's more to it than that. But even if there wasn't, even if every bit of it was juvenile and shallow, who cares? It's a genre of music. If you like it, you like it. Maybe an 80 year old conservative Christian white woman won't "get it." Well, she also thinks your sister is going to hell if her skirt is above her knees, so who the **** cares what she thinks.

Bottom line, RealGM Magic Forum:

Like what you like, and make no apologies for it. Just don't shove it down other people's throats.
11/18/2017 - I have officially disowned Nikola Vucevic and branded him a loser.

- Skal Labissiere was my guy in 2016 pre-trade. Whoops, but I still believe.
- Malik Monk was my guy in 2017. Whoops(?)
- Mo Bamba was my guy in 2018. TBD.
ivDT
RealGM
And1: 1,578

Post#13 » by ivDT » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:43 am

> ...It's a genre of music. If you like it, you like it...

thing is, if you dislike a particular piece of music that just happens to be from a genre you listen to, you should be able to actually say so without feeling like there's some sort of package deal that forces you to accept it "just because", right?

i don't quite understand how the mere act of saying so means that you're being pretentious, that you have a chip on your shoulder and that you're somehow pandering to critics who aren't likely to "get it" anyway.

imo, it just means you have your own mind and your own tastes. the alternative is just mindless "genre-patriotism". if that's what liking a genre of music means then i don't think you'll find many people who do.

> Bottom line, RealGM Magic Forum:

> Like what you like, and make no apologies for it. Just don't shove it down other people's throats.

here here.
MellowRose
Banned User

Post#14 » by MellowRose » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:13 am

FFBlitzace wrote:Dr3, if you don't mind, I'm gonna sit in your Recliner of Rage for a minute.

Disclaimer: I'm a white guy who doesn't listen to rap music. But I'm not a closed-minded idiot either. This is strictly an observation of mine.

Why am I constantly seeing people attempting to overly romanticize and glorify the merits of hip hop as an art form? It's like this group of fans have some huge chip on their shoulder, and they feel this compulsive need to convince others (and also, perhaps, themselves) that it's not all about just pimps and hoes and guns. It's pretentious and obnoxious. We get it, there's more to it than that. But even if there wasn't, even if every bit of it was juvenile and shallow, who cares? It's a genre of music. If you like it, you like it. Maybe an 80 year old conservative Christian white woman won't "get it." Well, she also thinks your sister is going to hell if her skirt is above her knees, so who the **** cares what she thinks.

Bottom line, RealGM Magic Forum:

Like what you like, and make no apologies for it. Just don't shove it down other people's throats.

Normally, I'd reply with a convincing argument, but this board is **** right now I'm not going to waste my time. I hope it picks back up during the regular season.

Go ahead and lock this thread, I'm not gonna be around for a while, and certainly there are too many close minded mfers on here, so no point in keeping it open.

Have a good day.
MellowRose
Banned User

Post#15 » by MellowRose » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:21 am

One last thing I'd like to say. I HATE country music, but If someone had created a country music artist thread, I'd listen to it, and respond respectfully.

I understand it can be fun to play e-thug, especially with the anonimty you can get, but posting bitter ass comments about this **** is extremely childish.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,160

Post#16 » by OrlChamps2030 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:51 pm

This thread needs more Gucci Mane
CPBalla2003 n da 863
Assistant Coach
And1: 277

Post#17 » by CPBalla2003 n da 863 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:28 am

Gonna go get me a Boosie Fade... lol

I'm into Hip Hop, I'm sure i'll check it out later tho.
@InthemindofCP on Twitter, Find Me
Thehardwoodnation.com
Balls In Our Court Podcast Link: http://inthemindofcp.podomatic.com
Orlando Magic
MagicMatty
Sophomore
And1: 27

Post#18 » by MagicMatty » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:51 am

Now people are entitled to honestly do what they want, listen to what they want, say what they want(to an extent) I do listen to Hip-Hop(not just). I have also noticed this board is dead, but you gotta take in play what time of year it is, let it go Mellow go outside and do something its not worth all the hate youre gonna get for posting something like that
Max Power
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#19 » by Max Power » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:47 am

It's threads like this that make me listen to spoken word albums.

In all seriousness though, what's the big deal if this thread was opened? A person knows a guy and his music inspires him, not a bad thing. I personally am not a rap or hip hop guy but there's nothing wrong with helping a young artist get some exposure, no matter what artform.

I liken this too those of us who've posted video projects on here to get feedback. I'm a professional film editor, I dropped an award winning documentary I made on here. People in arts improve with feedback and music is no different. Lighten up guys, maybe give it a listen and give some productive feedback. It takes a lot of work and guts to make it in media.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
You look confused...let me fill you in.
Magicalltheway
Analyst
And1: 134

Post#20 » by Magicalltheway » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:28 pm

Good God, what is wrong with you people. it clearly states OT on the subject line, you have the option of not clicking on it. you then do click on it which means you want to know what it is about. It does not peak your interest then you write nasty comments because it does not relate to you. (somebody stick face palm here please).

So someone opened a thread about a man who has done the time for the crime. Has come out a different man who acknowledges his mistake and has the courage to change the course of his life for himself and people around him and all you can say is that you dont like his music or this is irrelevant to Basketball.
i have actually not even listened to the music as it does not even matter to me the quality of the music. Would it be more appealing to you if he came out of jail and went back to his wrong ways and encouraged others to join him? Everybody is so busy judging that are completely missing the point here.

Lets celebrate the good and not focus on what hasnt met your expectations.

Return to Orlando Magic