ImageImageImageImage

2014 College Football Discussion

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Re: 2014 College Football Discussion 

Post#81 » by craig01 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:25 pm

magicman123 wrote:Another impressive win for miss st, they might end up #1 tomorrow

They've certainly earned the #1 ranking.

Mississippi ought to be in a serious push for # 2 as well.

The rest if the top ten is a garbled mess. Pick your preference for 4-10, and justifications for why or why not a team should be ranked where they are will all have merit.

I still don't believe that the Mississippi schools can run the table, as I just don't believe they have the depth to maintain this run that they are on.

Time will tell.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#82 » by craig01 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:31 pm

Will Muschamp may have sealed his fate last night by losing at home.

A 7-4 record now looks like the upside, but 6-5 is the probable finish.

The gators should have lost as they were outplayed much of the game by a very young LSU team, but they also should have won the game as LSU gifted the gators some opportunities to close the game.

Gator fans must be annoyed at the play calling, the non-use of Kelvin Taylor with Jones unable to play, and the fear that the gator coaching staff has of Driskel at QB.

MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,501

Post#83 » by MagicFan101 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:20 pm

tiderulz wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:Ole Miss and Miss St. leap frogging Baylor is redicuous.

Unlike years past, Baylor has a top 20 defense to go along with a #1 offense. Texas forced Baylor into a first half defensive struggle yesterday and Baylor slowly racked up points while pitching a shut out late. Texas isn't Texas these days but they are still loaded with top 5 recruiting class talent.

Ole Miss and Miss St. should have moved up a lot, buy no way they leap frog Baylor. At least the coaches put Baylor at #3 with one even offer them a #1 vote.

sorry, but top-20 defense doesnt give up 58 pts

Baylor often loses the time of possesion battle thanks to their big play, score fast offense. Even when they punt it is usually after a quick possesion. Unlike against a slow, ground and pound SEC team, oponents often get more chances to score against Baylor than they would against other teams. This is entirely a result of the offensive play calling, not the defense itself. Until they ran into a top 10 team yesterday, they forced punt after punt after punt. Yesterday they faced a real team and they bended but didn't break, especially when it counted on that last TCU drive.

For examople, compare this to the Auburn Miss St. game. TCU had 18 possesions yesterday. Auburn had 13 possesions. After a while, those defenses get tired and field goals start turning into touch downs.

They did bend, so they are not a top 10 defense but they are clearly a top 25 defense and may have the best D-lineman in the country in Shawn Oakman.

This is clearly a problem with these high offense teams but Baylor has to battle UT-Austin for recruits every year and has to get fancy with their play calling to keep up. Lucky for them they have had some pretty great QBs of late and have been able to more or less get away with this.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,111

Post#84 » by tiderulz » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:12 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:Ole Miss and Miss St. leap frogging Baylor is redicuous.

Unlike years past, Baylor has a top 20 defense to go along with a #1 offense. Texas forced Baylor into a first half defensive struggle yesterday and Baylor slowly racked up points while pitching a shut out late. Texas isn't Texas these days but they are still loaded with top 5 recruiting class talent.

Ole Miss and Miss St. should have moved up a lot, buy no way they leap frog Baylor. At least the coaches put Baylor at #3 with one even offer them a #1 vote.

sorry, but top-20 defense doesnt give up 58 pts

Baylor often loses the time of possesion battle thanks to their big play, score fast offense. Even when they punt it is usually after a quick possesion. Unlike against a slow, ground and pound SEC team, oponents often get more chances to score against Baylor than they would against other teams. This is entirely a result of the offensive play calling, not the defense itself. Until they ran into a top 10 team yesterday, they forced punt after punt after punt. Yesterday they faced a real team and they bended but didn't break, especially when it counted on that last TCU drive.

For examople, compare this to the Auburn Miss St. game. TCU had 18 possesions yesterday. Auburn had 13 possesions. After a while, those defenses get tired and field goals start turning into touch downs.

They did bend, so they are not a top 10 defense but they are clearly a top 25 defense and may have the best D-lineman in the country in Shawn Oakman.

This is clearly a problem with these high offense teams but Baylor has to battle UT-Austin for recruits every year and has to get fancy with their play calling to keep up. Lucky for them they have had some pretty great QBs of late and have been able to more or less get away with this.

eehh, just my opinion that they arent a top-25 defense.
magicman123
RealGM
And1: 722

Post#85 » by magicman123 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:46 pm

craig01 wrote:Will Muschamp may have sealed his fate last night by losing at home.

The gators should have lost as they were outplayed much of the game by a very young LSU team, but they also should have won the game as LSU gifted the gators some opportunities to close the game.

Gator fans must be annoyed at the play calling, the non-use of Kelvin Taylor with Jones unable to play, and the fear that the gator coaching staff has of Driskel at QB.

this will be me when i hear that Muschamp and Driskel are gone

MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#86 » by MagicFan101 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:03 pm

tiderulz wrote:eehh, just my opinion that they arent a top-25 defense.

Yes, but this is a topic that greatly interests me.

Here in Texas I constantly hear how Baylor has the best offense in the country and no other team comes close. Just like your comment about top 25 defenses not giving up major points, these guys are mislead by raw box scores. Is the goal to score a lot of points or is it to win games?

Alabama has been a defensive power for years. So how about we compare these two programs by looking closer than just raw scoring numbers?

So far this season...

Alabama allows 15.3 ppg on 62.8 plays ran against them per game.
Balyor allows 22.8 ppg on 77.8 plays ran against them per game.

So basiically,
Alabama gives up 1 point or every 4 plays ran against them
Baylor gives up 1 point for every 3.33 plays ran against them.

Clearly there is a separation in the quality of these defenses but as Alabama is a regular top 5 defense, do these numbers show a difference of 20+ rankings to you?

As a result, I really wish Baylor would slow down their offense just a tiny bit. They know they can score and they know few teams in the country can score as quickly as they can. So why not trust your offense, help out your defense and eat up a bit more clock to limit the chances the opponent has to score? There is a reason the SEC has won so many titles of late and it isn't the hurry up offense....

But if people really only care about box score stats...

Baylor ranks #10 in total yards given up and is tied at #27 for total touchdowns given up while having to defend against more plays than 60 other D-1 teams (thanks to their offensive play calling). Stir those stats together in a pot and surely you come out with a top 25 overall defense, right?
magicman123
RealGM
And1: 722

Post#87 » by magicman123 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:29 pm

I wouldn't call Baylor a top defense yet, they have played Southern Methodist University, Northwestern st, Buffalo, Iowa state, Texas, and the only decent team they played they gave up 58pts to TCU..the last part of their schedule will tell a lot
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#88 » by craig01 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:30 pm

magicman123 wrote:
craig01 wrote:Will Muschamp may have sealed his fate last night by losing at home.

When the big ticket Bull-Gators have had enough, that will spell the end of WM.

The rope has worn down to a few strands and it will almost take a miracle for WM to hang on.

Especially telling is what happens against Georgia.

MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#89 » by MagicFan101 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:16 pm

magicman123 wrote:I wouldn't call Baylor a top defense yet, they have played Southern Methodist University, Northwestern st, Buffalo, Iowa state, Texas, and the only decent team they played they gave up 58pts to TCU..the last part of their schedule will tell a lot

Ugh... I gave you a perfect explination of this. Did you read any of it?

Baylor's defense ranks:
#10 in yards against
#27 in touchdowns against
#28 in points per play against

Yes, they gave up 58 points to the #9 team in the country but did so over a whopping 18 drives! Most defenses face about 12 drives per game. That is basically a game and a half for TCU. Baylor isn't giving up a lot of yards (top 10 in that category) or a lot of first downs, their offense simply gives the ball back quickly.

Again... that bring me back to questioning their play calling. If you can score at will, the goal should be to keep your offense out there as long as possible not push the ball 90 yards on 2 plays and give them the ball right back.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#90 » by tiderulz » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:29 am

MagicFan101 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:eehh, just my opinion that they arent a top-25 defense.

Yes, but this is a topic that greatly interests me.

Here in Texas I constantly hear how Baylor has the best offense in the country and no other team comes close. Just like your comment about top 25 defenses not giving up major points, these guys are mislead by raw box scores. Is the goal to score a lot of points or is it to win games?

Alabama has been a defensive power for years. So how about we compare these two programs by looking closer than just raw scoring numbers?

So far this season...

Alabama allows 15.3 ppg on 62.8 plays ran against them per game.
Balyor allows 22.8 ppg on 77.8 plays ran against them per game.

So basiically,
Alabama gives up 1 point or every 4 plays ran against them
Baylor gives up 1 point for every 3.33 plays ran against them.

Clearly there is a separation in the quality of these defenses but as Alabama is a regular top 5 defense, do these numbers show a difference of 20+ rankings to you?

As a result, I really wish Baylor would slow down their offense just a tiny bit. They know they can score and they know few teams in the country can score as quickly as they can. So why not trust your offense, help out your defense and eat up a bit more clock to limit the chances the opponent has to score? There is a reason the SEC has won so many titles of late and it isn't the hurry up offense....

But if people really only care about box score stats...

Baylor ranks #10 in total yards given up and is tied at #27 for total touchdowns given up while having to defend against more plays than 60 other D-1 teams (thanks to their offensive play calling). Stir those stats together in a pot and surely you come out with a top 25 overall defense, right?

again, im allowed my own opinion. And i view it on the eyeball test. I dont penalize my view for Baylor giving up more yards, etc as i know their offense scores quick and gives the ball back. But that wasnt the case with TCU. TCU scored 2 TD's within the first 7 minutes, 4 before half time. If anyone last weekend, it was TCU's defense that tired out and Baylor scored 3 TD's in the final quarter.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#91 » by Nemesis21 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:21 am

magicman123 wrote:

Me too, because then Jimbo can hire his friend from LSU, as DC.
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#92 » by Orlwillbeback » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:08 am

huge game in about 20 minutes
InFlames
RealGM
And1: 3,176

Post#93 » by InFlames » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:08 am

And FSU keeps on winning.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#94 » by tiderulz » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:14 am

glad to see my boys rebound well. still have some injuries we have to get thru
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,975

Post#95 » by Nyce_1 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:08 am

What a game. Best one of the season, so far.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#96 » by craig01 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:11 pm

Great game last night.

Notre dame performed much better that I thought they would, and should have, would have, could have won the game last night.

The FSU defense is not nearly of the calibre of last years team. Unless the Noles lay an egg the rest of the way they'll finish unbeaten again.

Baylor was upset in Morgantown, good for WVU as they have been struggling the past couple of years.

Oklahoma has now laid two eggs this year, keeping up the Stoops tradition. 19 yard FG?

Mississippi again looked strong.....next up? The Fighting Tigers of LSU.......and the Rebels should maybe ask Kentucky if this LSU team, that is playing 17 true freshmen in the two-deep, if the Tigers might be growing up.

Alabama had a case of "I'm in the mood for a good ass-kicking", and TAM was in the wrong place at the wrong time and got the brunt the brutal beating.

Florida held a funeral last night at 11 pm for the soon to be former HC and starting QB. Both had remarkably less than mediocre results throughout their career at UF, and all of this after coming in with the highest of expectations.

It was sad watching both Driskel and Muschamp on the sidelines, looking glassy eyed while Missouri was hanging 42 unanswered points on them by the third quarter.

And even more remarkable.....is that Missouri led 42-0 late in the third quarter.....and had compiled a TOTAL of 97 yards of offense. Missouri won 42-13, and finished with 121 TOTAL YARDS!

InFlames
RealGM
And1: 3,176

Post#97 » by InFlames » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:21 pm

craig01 wrote:Great game last night.

Notre dame performed much better that I thought they would, and should have, would have, could have won the game last night.

The FSU defense is not nearly of the calibre of last years team. Unless the Noles lay an egg the rest of the way they'll finish unbeaten again.

Baylor was upset in Morgantown, good for WVU as they have been struggling the past couple of years.

Oklahoma has now laid two eggs this year, keeping up the Stoops tradition. 19 yard FG?

Mississippi again looked strong.....next up? The Fighting Tigers of LSU.......and the Rebels should maybe ask Kentucky if this LSU team, that is playing 17 true freshmen in the two-deep, if the Tigers might be growing up.

Alabama had a case of "I'm in the mood for a good ass-kicking", and TAM was in the wrong place at the wrong time and got the brunt the brutal beating.

Florida held a funeral last night at 11 pm for the soon to be former HC and starting QB. Both had remarkably less than mediocre results throughout their career at UF, and all of this after coming in with the highest of expectations.

It was sad watching both Driskel and Muschamp on the sidelines, looking glassy eyed while Missouri was hanging 42 unanswered points on them by the third quarter.

And even more remarkable.....is that Missouri led 42-0 late in the third quarter.....and had compiled a TOTAL of 97 yards of offense. Missouri won 42-13, and finished with 121 TOTAL YARDS!

That Florida game was ugly. Crowd was chanting to fire Muschamp.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#98 » by Nemesis21 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:22 pm

InFlames wrote:
craig01 wrote:Great game last night.

That Florida game was ugly. Crowd was chanting to fire Muschamp.

Hey Muschamp, want to come be the DC at FSU, after you get fired from UF?
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#99 » by craig01 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:02 am

LSU beats Mississippi in dramatic fashion.

That young defense is growing up.

Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#100 » by Nemesis21 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:18 am

craig01 wrote:LSU beats Mississippi in dramatic fashion.

That young defense is growing up.

And Kentucky gave Mississippi State a tougher game than most were thinking.

Return to Orlando Magic