ImageImageImageImage

2014 College Football Discussion

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Re: 2014 College Football Discussion 

Post#21 » by Nemesis21 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:59 am

Virginia upset #21 Louisville. Florida barely getting by Kentucky, 6-3 UF in the 3rd.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#22 » by Nemesis21 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:04 am

Kentucky goes up 10-6 with 5 mins in the 3rd.

UF retakes the lead 1 minute later. 13-10 in the 3rd.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,502

Post#23 » by MagicFan101 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:43 am

Gerhalt11 wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
craig01 wrote:The Gators will surprise people this year.

Driskel is one of the few QB's with much if any experience, and if the gators stay healthy should make a run for the East this year.

I live out here in Texas and I can tell you that fans were THRILLED when Muschamp was hired by UF. He was the assumed "coach in waiting" behind Mack Brown and people close to the UT program had little faith in him as a head coach.

The Gators will always have talent but just like FSU showed during the Jeff Bowden era, talent doesn't get you very far without great coaching. It doesn't help that their schedule includes @ #1 FSU, @ #3 Bama and the always crazy game against #6 Georgia.

If healthy, the talent is there to win any game but is the coaching there to win the big road games against equally talented but extremely well coached teams like FSU and Bama?

I'd like to remind you that, in Muschamp's second season, they were a Jordan Reed fumble against Georgia away from going undefeated in the regular season. I, personally think Muschamp is a great coach. Injuries wrecked the team last year, and the lack of stability at the offensive coordinator position has hurt us a lot, too.

No one is under the illusion that Florida will compete for a championship this year. The schedule, alone precludes that from happening. But winning the SEC East is not out of the question, and if Muschamp keeps his job and recruits to Roper's new offensive schemes, this team will be very scary in another season or two.

I don't claim to be an expert on Mushamp's system. Still, all the noise about him in Texas was that he didn't have the "mojo", personality or whatever it is that makes someone a great head coach versus a strong OC/DC.

He hasn't done anything at UF to prove these people wrong and today was yet another example. UF far and away had the talent advantage over Kentucky. I see my UF friends on facebook turning to blame the refs which is a joke. Coaching has to take the blame for a game like this.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#24 » by craig01 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:13 pm

Gators escape with a 3 OT win. Could have easily lost.

Boston College hammered USC on the ground, so much for USC.

Penn state beat Rutgers late, Iowa lost to Iowa state, Trickett threw for a million yards against Maryland, ND beat a very bad Purdue team, Tennessee still is miles away from being relevant.

Georgia continues to not win key early season games, but the game against USC was very entertaining nonetheless.

Texas is headed for a rough year, now 1-2, including two home losses. Charlie Strong will probably turn things around but just not this year.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#25 » by craig01 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:21 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
Gerhalt11 wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:

I live out here in Texas and I can tell you that fans were THRILLED when Muschamp was hired by UF. He was the assumed "coach in waiting" behind Mack Brown and people close to the UT program had little faith in him as a head coach.

The Gators will always have talent but just like FSU showed during the Jeff Bowden era, talent doesn't get you very far without great coaching. It doesn't help that their schedule includes @ #1 FSU, @ #3 Bama and the always crazy game against #

If healthy, the talent is there to win any game but is the coaching there to win the big road games against equally talented but extremely well coached teams like FSU and Bama?

I'd like to remind you that, in Muschamp's second season, they were a Jordan Reed fumble against Georgia away from going undefeated in the regular season. I, personally think Muschamp is a great coach. Injuries wrecked the team last year, and the lack of stability at the offensive coordinator position has hurt us a lot, too.

No one is under the illusion that Florida will compete for a championship this year. The schedule, alone precludes that from happening. But winning the SEC East is not out of the question, and if Muschamp keeps his job and recruits to Roper's new offensive schemes, this team will be very scary in another season or two.

I don't claim to be an expert on Mushamp's system. Still, all the noise about him in Texas was that he didn't have the "mojo", personality or whatever it is that makes someone a great head coach versus a strong OC/DC.

He hasn't done anything at UF to prove these people wrong and today was yet another example. UF far and away had the talent advantage over Kentucky. I see my UF friends on facebook turning to blame the refs which is a joke. Coaching has to take the blame for a game like this.

LSU fans said the same thing about then OC Jimbo Fisher, who was bypassed as HC for relatively unknown Les Miles.

Granted, WM is on a deserved hot seat, but time will tell. UF will have a decision to make after this season. WM was given the benefit of the doubt after all of the injuries the Gators sustained last year, but it's too early to pass judgment as of now.

MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,502

Post#26 » by MagicFan101 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:54 pm

craig01 wrote:LSU fans said the same thing about then OC Jimbo Fisher, who was bypassed as HC for relatively unknown Les Miles.

Granted, WM is on a deserved hot seat, but time will tell. UF will have a decision to make after this season. WM was given the benefit of the doubt after all of the injuries the Gators sustained last year, but it's too early to pass judgment as of now.

You're absolutely right. You have to give it a little bit of time to determine whether that noise comes from bitter fans or knowledgeable fans.

Jimbo Fisher has quieted the noise.

Muschamp ... not so much.
magicman123
RealGM
And1: 722

Post#27 » by magicman123 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:29 pm

muschamp is not a good head coach, he doesn't need 4 years to show how average he is, let him go and take driskel with him
Gerhalt11
Assistant Coach
And1: 827

Post#28 » by Gerhalt11 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:46 pm

magicman123 wrote:muschamp is not a good head coach, he doesn't need 4 years to show how average he is, let him go and take driskel with him

Nah.

Last season's debacle is easily attributed to injuries. Outside of that, he's 20-8 with a Gator Bowl victory and a berth in the Sugar Bowl. Pretty solid, actually.

The Kentucky game highlighted a lot of things to be concerned about, to be sure, but UK is much-improved from seasons past. They have one of the best QBs in the SEC right now. And the fact that the Gators were able to pull out that close game shows how improved we are, as well. Last year's squad would not have won that game.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#29 » by craig01 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:02 pm

Good games today ; Alabama and Florida, miss st and LSU, Clemson and FSU among others.

Big 10 probably can't wait to begin conference play to rebuild some hype

Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#30 » by Orlwillbeback » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:32 pm

gee wizz i cant believe our dumbass quarter back :nonono: :banghead:
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,113

Post#31 » by tiderulz » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:47 pm

geez, my team is trying to just give this game away.
magicman123
RealGM

Post#32 » by magicman123 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:50 pm

tiderulz wrote:geez, my team is trying to just give this game away.

It's alright we have driskel, the guy is beyond bad
Orlwillbeback
RealGM

Post#33 » by Orlwillbeback » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:28 pm

tiderulz wrote:geez, my team is trying to just give this game away.

I wouldnt be worried, iam expecting a stronger second half by alabama.
Orlwillbeback
RealGM

Post#34 » by Orlwillbeback » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:56 pm

Welp, maybe not LOL
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#35 » by tiderulz » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:18 pm

Orlwillbeback wrote:Welp, maybe not LOL

putting a season worth of miscues in 1 game. :(
magicman123
RealGM

Post#36 » by magicman123 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:24 pm

Gerhalt11 wrote:
magicman123 wrote:muschamp is not a good head coach, he doesn't need 4 years to show how average he is, let him go and take driskel with him

Nah.

Last season's debacle is easily attributed to injuries. Outside of that, he's 20-8 with a Gator Bowl victory and a berth in the Sugar Bowl. Pretty solid, actually.

The Kentucky game highlighted a lot of things to be concerned about, to be sure, but UK is much-improved from seasons past. They have one of the best QBs in the SEC right now. And the fact that the Gators were able to pull out that close game shows how improved we are, as well. Last year's squad would not have won that game.

I have higher standards for a UF fan... I have not liked what I've seen for the past 4 years...the guy is gone this year and rightfully so
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#37 » by tiderulz » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:46 am

wow, Miss St is mauling LSU, didnt expect this.
Orlwillbeback
RealGM

Post#38 » by Orlwillbeback » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:48 am

Yikes, I have no idea how this maquire guy is a college d1 qb. He has no accuracy, pocket awareness or running ability.

I understand the offensive line is playing awfully but this experience reminds me of when we had Howard as our starting center and Otis traded Gortat and we were left with no one to back him up.

disgusting.
InFlames
RealGM
And1: 3,176

Post#39 » by InFlames » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:52 am

Orlwillbeback wrote:gee wizz i cant believe our dumbass quarter back :nonono: :banghead:

Its really our offensive line. Maguire hasn't been good but our supposedly great O line has been complete ass.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#40 » by Nemesis21 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:57 am

InFlames wrote:
Orlwillbeback wrote:gee wizz i cant believe our dumbass quarter back :nonono: :banghead:

Its really our offensive line. Maguire hasn't been good but our supposedly great O line has been complete ass.

Agreed our offensive line looks like garbage, after being one of the best in the country last season. We lose one to the NFL, and the returning 4 have played like crap this season. Also I would like to see Pender and Cook run the ball more, and Karlos less. I'd also like to see Jimbo use our speedsters on offense better, calls some jet sweeps and some reverses with Whitfiled and Wilson.

Return to Orlando Magic