ImageImageImageImage

SVG?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

InFlames
RealGM
And1: 3,176

Re: SVG? 

Post#41 » by InFlames » Fri Sep 5, 2014 7:09 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:SVG is my favorite coach in the entire NBA. He got this team to the 3rd best record over a 5 year period and they were winner every season he was here. Dude is brutally honest and I would watch every single post game show he had even if I went to the games I would race home to watch them.

But, what most people don't recall here is that he alway went to bat for his players. If anyone talked bad about his players, he would defend them like they were his own sons. He was very emotional and in many respects was a players coach. Because, he would be involved with them as people too regardless how hard he would be on them on the courts.

And lastly, there are players like Gortat that will say they owe everything they have accomplished in the NBA because of Stan. How many coaches can say that?

It is a dream for me to witness Stan Van Gundy coach my two favorite teams in the NBA. This is like a dream come true. Pistons are going places. Believe it.

Great post BMP.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,501

Post#42 » by MagicFan101 » Sat Sep 6, 2014 3:56 am

tiderulz wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:I understand that you dont care. But players care, and they and their agents are eventually the ones to decide whether they will go play for a team or a coach. And they are paid great, but not just to play a game, they also lose their privacy, have to travel away from their family, their bodies break down faster than a normal persons does.

You're not wrong. I just don't have sympathy for them in this case and the fact that not only does SVG continue to find work, but was just given full control of an entire team shows that most in the business share my view.

There are clear cases where coaches have crossed a line but Stan is not one of them.

outing a front office and a player in the media isnt crossing a line?

lol, you're joking right?

If nothing else, SVG is guy who will answer any question honestly. You ask him what he thought of his team, their team, the refs, himself or whatever else and he will be brutally honest. That is why people here today are still talking about his great post game interviews.

So if your above comment is serious then you are saying he crossed a line by being exactly who everyone knew he was and if I might add, did it while being perfectly correct on both accounts!

No, SVG did not cross a line. Crossing a line would be a drill sergeant-eque coach watching a player fall over dead from dehydration after ignored requests for water (which has happened in football many times) or a coach witholding medical treatment from a player showing concussion like symptomes so that the player can avoid being help out of the upcoming game (which happened at Texas Tech not long ago). These are what I call crossing a line. Telling an imature, diva player to grow the hell up is not.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,918

Post#43 » by drsd » Sat Sep 6, 2014 5:44 am

UCF wrote:Stan speaks the truth, no candy coated bs most coaches feed the media.

SVG also spends a good deal of time supporting education to the media. He has loads of quotes that state, "School teachers are more important that basketball coaches." He is a family guy.

NickAnderson
General Manager
And1: 2,922

Post#44 » by NickAnderson » Sat Sep 6, 2014 2:55 pm

Svg is a decent coach but highly overrated.

Sent from my VS985 4G using RealGM Forums mobile app
londoncollin
Bench Warmer
And1: 231

Post#45 » by londoncollin » Sat Sep 6, 2014 6:11 pm

Love SVG. Think he's the best coach we've had. He's largely (can't say solely because he's not playing) responsible for our finals run and following couple years of success. He really knows how to get the most out of his players.

That said, I don't think he's the coach for our current roster and I'm excited to see what Vaughn can do.

He's gunna do great in Detroit and I'm rooting for him.
Driguez
General Manager
And1: 2,028

Post#46 » by Driguez » Sat Sep 6, 2014 8:35 pm

I miss him. That is all.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using RealGM Forums mobile app
Huevos Bancheros
Big NBA Fan
Senior
And1: 329

Post#47 » by Big NBA Fan » Sun Sep 7, 2014 9:27 pm

I think both the Heat and Magic regret choosing Shaq and Dwight over Stan given that the two of them forced their way out of Miami and Orlando soon after Stan was pushed out.

SVG is an outstanding coach.
Big NBA Fan
Senior
And1: 329

Post#48 » by Big NBA Fan » Sun Sep 7, 2014 9:40 pm

I still don't understand why Dwight wanted SVG fired...he became the best big-man in the NBA under Stan.

Shaq got him fired because he held a grudge over the way the Heat lost 2005 ECF Game 7 at home to the Pistons when SVG ran the offense through Wade in the final moments in the game instead of giving Shaq the ball.

One of their beat writers personally witnessed Shaq spend that summer complaining about the play-calling during the end of the game, which cost the Heat a spot in the Finals that year.

Despite Shaq's denials, EVERYONE knows he is the one who pushed Stan out.

Return to Orlando Magic