ImageImageImageImage

Hennigan, Martins, and Vaughn Talk 2014-2015 Season

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,149

Post#1 » by Def Swami » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:35 pm

Orlando Sentinel: How do you describe where the franchise is now, in Year 3, of your rebuilding effort?

Rob Hennigan: I think it’s an important season for us in a lot of ways. We’ve spent the last couple of years building a foundation and a culture that we feel is a good basis to build from, and I think we’re now shifting into a phase of this building plan where we want to start to establish an identity on the floor. This is an important year to see growth and progress for us. We expect to see growth. At the same time, we need to remain disciplined and need to remain committed to our plan and committed to staying the course.

OS: How do you measure growth? Do you measure growth in terms of wins?
Hennigan: That’s one way. I think there are many ways to measure growth, and we’ll utilize a blend of subjective and objective metrics throughout the season to gauge our progress and to make sure that we’re moving in the right direction and seeing signs that our plan is the right strategy.

OS: In Year 3, will the won-loss record occupy a larger percentage of the evaluation than it did in Year 1 and Year 2?

Hennigan: It will be a larger percentage of the evaluation but certainly not the only factor. We want to evaluate things on a global scale and make sure we’re looking at all things across the board relative to the individual play, collective play and the combination of that.

OS: Teams often talk about establishing a “winning culture.” Where do the Magic stand after the last two seasons?

Hennigan: Specific to culture?

Hennigan: Like I said, we have a really good foundation of a values-based culture, a culture that’s predicated on high-character individuals, unselfish individuals, individuals who are willing to put in a great work capacity toward improvement. So we feel that those things represent sort of the pillars of what we want to be about, and as we continue to build good habits and the habits that we believe will lead to long-term success, those are the types of things that we’ll always fall back on and continue to build on top of.

OS: What are your expectations for the rookies? What do you want to see from them?

Hennigan: A high level of energy, of focus. A commitment to getting better every day and an approach that lends itself to teamwork and playing for the team.

OS: What have you seen from the players in their workouts over the last few weeks?

Hennigan: Our guys have had a great summer of work and preparation for the upcoming season. A lot of our guys have split time between Orlando and other cities getting work in, and I think the one thing that we’ve noticed is there’s been a heightened work capacity this summer and a real focus and ambition toward improvement. It’s been very consistent throughout the summer, and I think that consistency and the habits that our guys have been working on building this summer will carry into the season for them.

Hennigan: Continuing to grow his confidence. Continuing to grow his ability to play with strength in all areas of the floor and continuing to just improve his all-around game. We feel like he has a lot of room for improvement and he has the desire and the work ethic to improve. So we expect to see continued growth from him as a player.

Hennigan: Similarly, with Moe, we’re looking for his confidence to continue to solidify as he gets more comfortable in the league and as he gains more experience and a continuance of his mentality to want to affect both ends of the floor at a high level.

OS: Looking back at Victor Oladipo’s rookie season, what do you think that he did well and what are some of the areas in which you expect him to grow?

Hennigan: Looking back on last season, Victor did an excellent job of competing consistently and working through the proverbial rookie growing pains, and I think this year will hopefully be an extension of a better understanding of how the NBA game’s played. As he continues to get more confidence and experience, I would hope that he continues to get more comfortable and continues to be more productive on the floor because of it.

Hennigan: It’s an important year for all our guys. It’s an important year for guys, like I said, to continue to build their confidence and continue to add to their experience. I think it’s an important year for Andrew to continue to work on getting better and continue to do the things that we believe he can do on the floor, which is have a pretty good impact on the game offensively both around the basket and stretching the floor.

OS: Much of Tobias Harris’ 2013-14 season was limited by the high-ankle strain he suffered early on. How do you see the year ahead for him?

Hennigan: Tobias had a great summer. He’s in great shape. He’s worked incredibly hard all summer, which we’ve come to expect from Tobias. And our expectation is that he’s going to have a heck of a season for us in all facets of the game. He’s going to be a big part of our team this year.

OS: Where have you seen the biggest growth in Jacque Vaughn?

Hennigan: I think just his commitment to the plan, his commitment to the vision of how we want to build and his willingness to always put the best interests of the organization first and to coach in a way that lends itself to our plan. Just the patience that he’s shown, I think, has been really admirable, and he’s, I think, over the last couple of years really come to understand more about our players and ways put them in positions to be successful.

OS: Where does the team stand on potential contract extensions for Nik Vucevic and Tobias Harris?

Hennigan: We’ve been in discussions with both Tobias’ and Nik’s representatives. We’ll continue to be in discussions with them. We’re motivated to try to get something done if it makes sense for everybody, and our hope and intention is to do so.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/o ... tml#page=2

Things I took away:
1. No tanking, and expect more wins.
2. Tobias Harris is going to be a big part of the offense this year, as he should be.
3. While several national media members have pegged him as one of the coaches most likely to get fired, Jacque Vaughn is Rob Hennigan's guy. Hennigan almost sounds grateful for Vaughn's commitment to the tank. And if that is the situation, you have to commend Vaughn for that. He tarnished his reputation as a coach in the short term to meet the vision of the team, but I think he'll finally get a shot to show what he can do this season.
Just Plain Mark
Assistant Coach
And1: 193

Re: O-Sen Interviews Rob Hennigan on 2014-2015 Season 

Post#2 » by Just Plain Mark » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:18 pm

I wish Hennigan could have been just a bit more vague, with a few more repititions of meaningless basketball corporate speak. I like the guy and believe he's intelligent, but I am slightly less impressed each time I read an interview or hear him talk because he gives essentially meaningless responses.
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#3 » by Orlwillbeback » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:38 pm

Just Plain Mark wrote:I wish Hennigan could have been just a bit more vague, with a few more repititions of meaningless basketball corporate speak. I like the guy and believe he's intelligent, but I am slightly less impressed each time I read an interview or hear him talk because he gives essentially meaningless responses.

Isnt that evidence of his intelligence? The fact that he can speak at length and not give the media anything shows hes a pretty smart dude.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#4 » by Def Swami » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:19 pm

Jon Denton also interviewed Hennigan. Here's some quotes from that exchange.

QUESTION: You have always said that when constructing a roster you never want the team to be young. What kind of veteran presence do you think free-agent additions Channing Frye and Ben Gordon can make on the team?

ROB HENNIGAN: ``It was important for us to bring in some veteran experience that can improve our scoring and our perimeter shooting. And at the same time we wanted to bring in veterans who have playoff experience. We feel like Channing, Ben and Willie (Green) provide that experience for us in different ways. We think their additions will add to our team both from a skill set standpoint and a personality standpoint.’’

http://www.nba.com/magic/gallery/qa-rob-hennigan-092614

Alex Martins' message for the fans:
“My expectation is that this would be a turn-the-corner type year. We’ve got a team that’s got the chance to be very good defensively, and we’ve got a team that’s so athletic, that we should be getting out and running quite a bit. So it’ll be an exciting brand of Orlando Magic basketball.

We do believe that this core group of young men will be with us for a long. period of time, and as they continue to play together for a long period of time, will be successful.”

Full video of interview below.
http://orlandomagicdaily.com/2014-artic ... um=twitter
purpleswordfish
Rookie
And1: 540

Post#5 » by purpleswordfish » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:26 pm

Def Swami wrote:
Orlando Sentinel: How do you describe where the franchise is now, in Year 3, of your rebuilding effort?

Rob Hennigan: I think it’s an important season for us in a lot of ways. We’ve spent the last couple of years building a foundation and a culture that we feel is a good basis to build from, and I think we’re now shifting into a phase of this building plan where we want to start to establish an identity on the floor. This is an important year to see growth and progress for us. We expect to see growth. At the same time, we need to remain disciplined and need to remain committed to our plan and committed to staying the course.

Hennigan: That’s one way. I think there are many ways to measure growth, and we’ll utilize a blend of subjective and objective metrics throughout the season to gauge our progress and to make sure that we’re moving in the right direction and seeing signs that our plan is the right strategy.

OS: In Year 3, will the won-loss record occupy a larger percentage of the evaluation than it did in Year 1 and Year 2?

Hennigan: It will be a larger percentage of the evaluation but certainly not the only factor. We want to evaluate things on a global scale and make sure we’re looking at all things across the board relative to the individual play, collective play and the combination of that.

OS: Teams often talk about establishing a “winning culture.” Where do the Magic stand after the last two seasons?

Hennigan: Like I said, we have a really good foundation of a values-based culture, a culture that’s predicated on high-character individuals, unselfish individuals, individuals who are willing to put in a great work capacity toward improvement. So we feel that those things represent sort of the pillars of what we want to be about, and as we continue to build good habits and the habits that we believe will lead to long-term success, those are the types of things that we’ll always fall back on and continue to build on top of.

OS: What are your expectations for the rookies? What do you want to see from them?

Hennigan: A high level of energy, of focus. A commitment to getting better every day and an approach that lends itself to teamwork and playing for the team.

OS: What have you seen from the players in their workouts over the last few weeks?

Hennigan: Our guys have had a great summer of work and preparation for the upcoming season. A lot of our guys have split time between Orlando and other cities getting work in, and I think the one thing that we’ve noticed is there’s been a heightened work capacity this summer and a real focus and ambition toward improvement. It’s been very consistent throughout the summer, and I think that consistency and the habits that our guys have been working on building this summer will carry into the season for them.

Hennigan: Continuing to grow his confidence. Continuing to grow his ability to play with strength in all areas of the floor and continuing to just improve his all-around game. We feel like he has a lot of room for improvement and he has the desire and the work ethic to improve. So we expect to see continued growth from him as a player.

Hennigan: Similarly, with Moe, we’re looking for his confidence to continue to solidify as he gets more comfortable in the league and as he gains more experience and a continuance of his mentality to want to affect both ends of the floor at a high level.

OS: Looking back at Victor Oladipo’s rookie season, what do you think that he did well and what are some of the areas in which you expect him to grow?

Hennigan: Looking back on last season, Victor did an excellent job of competing consistently and working through the proverbial rookie growing pains, and I think this year will hopefully be an extension of a better understanding of how the NBA game’s played. As he continues to get more confidence and experience, I would hope that he continues to get more comfortable and continues to be more productive on the floor because of it.

Hennigan: It’s an important year for all our guys. It’s an important year for guys, like I said, to continue to build their confidence and continue to add to their experience. I think it’s an important year for Andrew to continue to work on getting better and continue to do the things that we believe he can do on the floor, which is have a pretty good impact on the game offensively both around the basket and stretching the floor.

OS: Much of Tobias Harris’ 2013-14 season was limited by the high-ankle strain he suffered early on. How do you see the year ahead for him?

Hennigan: Tobias had a great summer. He’s in great shape. He’s worked incredibly hard all summer, which we’ve come to expect from Tobias. And our expectation is that he’s going to have a heck of a season for us in all facets of the game. He’s going to be a big part of our team this year.

Hennigan: I think just his commitment to the plan, his commitment to the vision of how we want to build and his willingness to always put the best interests of the organization first and to coach in a way that lends itself to our plan. Just the patience that he’s shown, I think, has been really admirable, and he’s, I think, over the last couple of years really come to understand more about our players and ways put them in positions to be successful.

OS: Where does the team stand on potential contract extensions for Nik Vucevic and Tobias Harris?

Hennigan: We’ve been in discussions with both Tobias’ and Nik’s representatives. We’ll continue to be in discussions with them. We’re motivated to try to get something done if it makes sense for everybody, and our hope and intention is to do so.

Things I took away:
2. Tobias Harris is going to be a big part of the offense this year, as he should be.
3. While several national media members have pegged him as one of the coaches most likely to get fired, Jacque Vaughn is Rob Hennigan's guy. Hennigan almost sounds grateful for Vaughn's commitment to the tank. And if that is the situation, you have to commend Vaughn for that. He tarnished his reputation as a coach in the short term to meet the vision of the team, but I think he'll finally get a shot to show what he can do this season.

I wish I shared your optimism. I'm afraid it's more of the same old song and dance from Mr. Hennigan.

That's up for debate. Personally, his responses in regard to wins sounded very similar to the previous two sub-30 win seasons.

He won't. He'll be discarded the second the team gets competitive or Hennigan finds himself in the hot seat. He was hired to lose games. Mark my words, when this rebuild takes too long for ownership's taste, Vaughn will be the first to go.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,602

Re: Hennigan, Martins, and Vaughn Talk 2014-2015 Season 

Post#6 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:50 pm

After witnessing so many players being misused and hampered their development, I completely disagree with the premise of Vaughn putting players in "ways put them in positions to be successful." Vaughn has really screwed up Hark, Nicholson amongst others.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#7 » by Orlwillbeback » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:30 pm

purpleswordfish wrote:
Def Swami wrote:

Things I took away:

I wish I shared your optimism. I'm afraid it's more of the same old song and dance from Mr. Hennigan.

That's up for debate. Personally, his responses in regard to wins sounded very similar to the previous two sub-30 win seasons.

He won't. He'll be discarded the second the team gets competitive or Hennigan finds himself in the hot seat. He was hired to lose games. Mark my words, when this rebuild takes too long for ownership's taste, Vaughn will be the first to go.

One thing to consider is just how hands off devos is. I wonder if he even cares about the magic anymore and none of his kids really showed much interest in it. My guess is the team will be sold but remain in orlando. In any case if anyone will be firing jacque it will most likely be martins.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using RealGM Forums mobile app
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#8 » by Def Swami » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:58 pm

purpleswordfish wrote:

Related to the tanking point, it seems that the both Martins and Hennigan are acknowledging the last 2 seasons have been about tanking, whereas the comments about "turn the corner" season and wins being more important this season in terms of evaluating the team lead me to believe that there will be no throwing of games this season, unlike the last 2. It was pretty much expected to be that way when we spent $32 million on Channing Frye, but I think the tone from both Hennigan and Martins is subtly hinting to expect a better product without committing to a playoff appearance.

As for Jacque Vaughn, I'm not sure how you can evaluate him if he was purposely losing games for the past 2 seasons. I've always been pretty lenient with him considering what his objectives were. Vaughn wasn't even that high on the Spurs coaching staff and didn't have a lot of experience when we hired him. Thus, I get the impression that Hennigan likely chose him because of his close relationship to him since Vaughn was a player with the Spurs, and knew he was one of the few people in the NBA who would stick his neck out as a first year head coach and commit to a tank for a couple of seasons. I recall Vaughn's initial press conference in which he admitted that he was taking a huge risk by leaving the Spurs early to go to a situation in which he knew he would lose a lot off the bat. If Hennigan were to just fire him after 2 seasons of tanking, Vaughn knows he would never get another head coaching gig in the NBA with that kind of reputation, which Hennigan is aware and sensitive to. But they've been on the same page since day one, and I believe this will be Vaughn's season to show his worth as a coach after being a good soldier for the past 2 years.

If the team struggles, sure, he'll be canned sooner than later. But, if he can show incremental improvement, he'll stay on. And if the team is competitive, as you suggest, I imagine he'll have some role in that. So why fire him in that situation? At the end of the day, he has to get a fair shot.
Gomagic44
Head Coach
And1: 2,187

Post#9 » by Gomagic44 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:23 pm

I know he's keeping his deck close, but man, Henny sounds like a robot.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Go Magic
Junior
And1: 122

Post#10 » by Go Magic » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:41 am

Im thankful for an intelligent front office that doesn't blab its every intention to the first journalist that asks. Calculated and unexpected.
tooler wrote:Our team is like a greenhouse with a few wise old horticulturalists. Everyone has a chance to grow.

Orlwillbeback wrote:Exum has shown me more in his draftexpress video than wiggins has shown all year. wiggins just isnt that good.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,918

Post#11 » by drsd » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:13 am

At the same time, we need to remain disciplined and need to remain committed to our plan and committed to staying the course.

Translation: there will still be a lot of loses.

MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,050

Post#12 » by MagicStarwipe » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:20 am

drsd wrote:
At the same time, we need to remain disciplined and need to remain committed to our plan and committed to staying the course.

Don't know where you're getting that. The plan is to bring in young, talented, high character, hard working players who's games mesh. We've already done that. The ultimate plan is to win. And there might be a lot of losses still. But the tank is off. And there most certainly was a tank.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,918

Post#13 » by drsd » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:41 am

MagicStarwipe wrote:But the tank is off.

Sure, but Orlando lacks cohesion with all the youth. GM Hennigan is simply looking at the reality: more loses will come even as the team tries to win.
Inqui
Sophomore
And1: 80

Post#14 » by Inqui » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:48 am

drsd wrote:
MagicStarwipe wrote:But the tank is off.

Sure, but Orlando lacks cohesion with all the youth. GM Hennigan is simply looking at the reality: more loses will come even as the team tries to win.

I think they're comfortable with the idea of losses coming as a natural part of team growth, but it's still part of the growing process.

Which I think is an extension of what you were saying, but still!

And to the guy who lauded Hennigan's tight-lipped nature, I agree. The rule with FOs is that what the fans know, other teams also know. If he says too much of his plan, other franchises may be able to read between the lines and try to scupper FA acquisitions or certain draft picks (more likely to trade up for someone they think is part of our future, for example).
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,107

Post#15 » by tiderulz » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:10 pm

Gomagic44 wrote:I know he's keeping his deck close, but man, Henny sounds like a robot.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

when you are initially hired and then the focus of the team for 2 years is to tank without really saying it, how real in interviews can he really be
Driguez
General Manager
And1: 2,028

Post#16 » by Driguez » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:42 pm

This is a make or break season for JV, I'm still skeptical. Good news is we are so freaking close to some Magic basketball!

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using RealGM Forums mobile app
Huevos Bancheros
bajotierra
Freshman
And1: 73

Post#17 » by bajotierra » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:06 pm

[quote="drsd"]
[/quote]
I think he means there won't be any panic trades if/when we go through a bad stretch. The strategy for this year has been set and he will stay the course.
EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Post#18 » by EasternMagic » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:20 pm

Henny is really good at saying nothing.
Magic#1
General Manager
And1: 1,108

Post#19 » by Magic#1 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:31 pm

What people have to realize about tanking is that even if you want to win, it doesn't mean you're good enough to win. We may have genuinely wanted to win the past two seasons but the reality is we just aren't good enough. Depending on development, we may be able to get 35 wins at absolute most this season. We're not going to lose on purpose but the reality is we just aren't very good yet. Do we have a good core that is developing an identity? Sure, but it's still a long journey. If Dipo shows he can be an all-star level player this year and Vooch, Harris continue to develop, we can probably talk about playoffs next year.
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,050

Post#20 » by MagicStarwipe » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:56 am

I don't think people think we tanked because we lost a lot of games. They think we tanked because they watched all the games and followed the team and it was pretty obvious.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414

Return to Orlando Magic