ImageImageImageImage

Channing Frye Suffers Sprained MCL

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,602

Re: Channing Frye Suffers Sprained MCL 

Post#41 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri Oct 3, 2014 8:24 pm

OrlandO wrote:In before BMP says ben gordon is a bad teammate for injuring frye's knee.

Ben Gordon may have just cost the Magic $13 million this season if you factor in Frye's and BG's contract. That is in line with what he has cost teams annually over the last 5 years . . .

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,602

Post#42 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri Oct 3, 2014 8:26 pm

JF5 wrote:Everyone is overreacting... He's not going to be gone longer than a month into next year...

FIXED!!!

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,448

Post#43 » by Revived » Fri Oct 3, 2014 8:35 pm

JF5 wrote:Everyone is overreacting... He's not going to be gone more than a week into next month...

He's gonna miss all of training camp and pre season and that's very important so that the Magic players know to play with him on the court, how the spacing will affect their plays and such.
MellowRose
Banned User
And1: 1,551

Post#44 » by MellowRose » Fri Oct 3, 2014 8:40 pm

SF88 wrote:
JF5 wrote:Everyone is overreacting... He's not going to be gone more than a week into next month...

He's gonna miss all of training camp and pre season and that's very important so that the Magic players know to play with him on the court, how the spacing will affect their plays and such.

What?
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,342

Post#45 » by tooler » Fri Oct 3, 2014 9:08 pm

Frye is out indefinitely after he injured his left knee in a collision with teammate Ben Gordon during a scrimmage Thursday. An MRI revealed the 31-year-old power forward suffered a sprained medial collateral ligament.

Ben Gordon was killed in the collision.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,448

Post#46 » by Revived » Fri Oct 3, 2014 9:10 pm

MellowRose wrote:
SF88 wrote:

What?

Vaughn acknowledged that the injury comes at an inopportune time. This preseason is important for the Magic because the team has eight new players on its roster. Frye, in particular, is expected to complement Orlando’s offense because opponents must account for his three-point shooting.

“Despite the injury itself, the most challenging part of it is trying to incorporate him in our group and get guys to learn spacing and understand where he is on the floor and responding to that,” Vaughn said.
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,900

Post#47 » by JF5 » Fri Oct 3, 2014 9:19 pm

SF88 wrote:Vaughn acknowledged that the injury comes at an inopportune time. This preseason is important for the Magic because the team has eight new players on its roster. Frye, in particular, is expected to complement Orlando’s offense because opponents must account for his three-point shooting.

“Despite the injury itself, the most challenging part of it is trying to incorporate him in our group and get guys to learn spacing and understand where he is on the floor and responding to that,” Vaughn said.

I don't think this team was going to get that under their belt before pre-season started. Plus, they'll be running Drew more as the Channing Frye of this team so they will be accustomed to his style of play when he comes back (They have similar games anyway). Its not like this is a crushing blow. The problem will most likely be defensive rotations, rust, and familiarity with teammates on Frye's part when he comes back.

This is being overblown...
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#48 » by Orlwillbeback » Fri Oct 3, 2014 9:24 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:
OrlandO wrote:In before BMP says ben gordon is a bad teammate for injuring frye's knee.

Ben Gordon may have just cost the Magic $13 million this season if you factor in Frye's and BG's contract. That is in line with what he has cost teams annually over the last 5 years . . .

:lol: i love it
Orlwillbeback
RealGM

Post#49 » by Orlwillbeback » Fri Oct 3, 2014 9:33 pm

JF5 wrote:
SF88 wrote:Vaughn acknowledged that the injury comes at an inopportune time. This preseason is important for the Magic because the team has eight new players on its roster. Frye, in particular, is expected to complement Orlando’s offense because opponents must account for his three-point shooting.

I don't think this team was going to get that under their belt before pre-season started. Plus, they'll be running Drew more as the Channing Frye of this team so they will be accustomed to his style of play when he comes back (They have similar games anyway). Its not like this is a crushing blow. The problem will most likely be defensive rotations, rust, and familiarity with teammates on Frye's part when he comes back.

This is being overblown...

I disagree respectfully. Frye was THE big addition this offseason and my guess is management was hoping his spacing would bolster the play of our guards like they did Dragic. If we are missing him for training camp, that means less experience playing with him which is not good. Now we risk the possibility that our confidence would be impacted if we start slow this season and more poor offense.

Of course, there is also the possibility that whichever young player we insert into his role turns into a nice surprise for us and were competitive regardless. Overall, i doubt tanking is the goal this season and if a key piece like Frye goes down its never good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using RealGM Forums mobile app
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,178

Post#50 » by Optimus_Steel » Fri Oct 3, 2014 9:44 pm

Sure it sucks he will out the rest of the preseason but I don't think its that big of a deal in that it hinders us in a major way. He has practiced with the team all week long and he has been working out with the guys well before training camp started. This give some guys a chance to shine in preseason.
aka: prorl
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,828

Post#51 » by RookieStar » Fri Oct 3, 2014 10:44 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:

LOL good one BMP!
Go Magic
Junior
And1: 122

Post#52 » by Go Magic » Fri Oct 3, 2014 10:58 pm

This cat can really finish from anywhere on the floor and he has great footwork. Id say he is worth one more season of losing.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_U_k1X4irQ[/youtube]
tooler wrote:Our team is like a greenhouse with a few wise old horticulturalists. Everyone has a chance to grow.

Orlwillbeback wrote:Exum has shown me more in his draftexpress video than wiggins has shown all year. wiggins just isnt that good.
Sweet J
Rookie
And1: 99

Post#53 » by Sweet J » Fri Oct 3, 2014 11:05 pm

This is not great timing obviously. But we did strike out because it could be a lot worse. I get the feeling he will miss most of the pre season, but if recovery goes well he may play the final game which I think would be huge.

We really do need his leadership and presence on offence if we are to play winning basketball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PG K. Lowry, T. Lawson
SG G. Hill, E. Gordon
SF K. Thompson, O. Porter
PF L. Aldridge, T. Thompson
C A. Jefferson, J. Noah
UT T. Burke, R. Hood
BN A. Len, J. Meeks, C. Budinger
KillMonger
RealGM
And1: 10,012

Post#54 » by KillMonger » Fri Oct 3, 2014 11:11 pm

Go Magic wrote:This cat can really finish from anywhere on the floor and he has great footwork. Id say he is worth one more season of losing.

yeah but....naw man, time to starting trying to win now. From what i gather around town from the casual fans and such they want playoffs this year. Considering the State of the East? not out of the question, me personally there comes a time where you got to start giving your young guys the chance to prove themselves and give them the keys or cash them out or we'll end up like Kings. They have a bunch of lottery players, almost year in year out and yet.......
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,448

Post#55 » by Bensational » Fri Oct 3, 2014 11:16 pm

We'll be looking at frontcourts of either:

Vuc
Harris
Harkless

or

Vuc
KOQ/AN/A.Gordon
Harris

I say JV goes with the former, since they're the guys that were favoured last season.

Backcourts of either:

Oladipo
Payton

or

Fourner/B.Gordon
Oladipo

A lot to sort out in training camp and preseason still. I'm hoping JV is leaving all options open and not ruling out youngsters already. I feel like A.Gordon is raw, but he could learn a limited role at the 4 pretty quick, same way Dwight did as a high school rookie.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#56 » by Nemesis21 » Fri Oct 3, 2014 11:38 pm

Go Magic wrote:This cat can really finish from anywhere on the floor and he has great footwork. Id say he is worth one more season of losing.

How's his defense?? Because we already have a pretty damn good offensive C in Vuc right now.
Driguez
General Manager
And1: 2,028

Post#57 » by Driguez » Fri Oct 3, 2014 11:46 pm

1) **** tanking
2) The draft is being restructured to combat tanking
3) See number 1

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using RealGM Forums mobile app
Huevos Bancheros
Hilltop
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 731

Post#58 » by Hilltop » Sat Oct 4, 2014 2:52 am

I'm down for more Andrew Nicholson.

For me, a new season means a renewed hope that this kid finally puts it together. I have no doubt that he can tear it up on the offensive end if given consistent playing time but it's always been convincing the Magic that he deserves the minutes that has been the challenge.

Here's to hoping he has put on some size and worked on his defensive awareness this summer. I'm a big fan of AN and I really, really want him to succeed here.
Orlwillbeback
RealGM

Post#59 » by Orlwillbeback » Sat Oct 4, 2014 3:18 am

agree with the other post, although towns has some ability has a defender, his skills are superfluous next to vooch.

If we suck enough to pick high i would like to get either mudiay, johnson or okafor. Oubre doesnt impress me and although towns is nice, he isnt as good as the others imo. if we miss out on them then we might as well try to address the need for a paint enforcer and go with cliff alexander.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,918

Post#60 » by drsd » Sat Oct 4, 2014 5:20 am

SOUL wrote:Seems like a 4-8 week thing type deal.

O-Sen's story on this reflect on recent examples:
Last season, Memphis Grizzlies center Marc Gasol suffered a moderately severe sprain of his left knee’s MCL and missed 6½ weeks of games. Washington Wizards power forward Nene also sustained an MCL sprain, and he sat out 7½ weeks.

So what does that mean for Orlando:
If Frye misses seven weeks, which is by no means a certainty, he would return on Nov. 20. The Magic will have played 13 regular-season games by that point.

Return to Orlando Magic