ImageImageImageImage

NBA Pre-Season Game 3: Orlando Magic vs. Charlotte Hornets

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,501

Post#1 » by MagicFan101 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:14 pm

I'm really interested in this game.

It is really hard to know what to make of A. Gordon at this point. We have heard all sorts of comparisons. There are the good (Blake Griffin) and the not so good (Michael Kidd-Gilchrist).

MKG was / is a super athletic forward who can be a great defender but flat out can not shoot the ball... at all.

I really want to see Gordon and MKG on the floor together tonight and try to see if there are any clear distinctions between the two which offer reason to believe Gordon can become more than MKG.
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Re: NBA Pre-Season Game 3: Orlando Magic vs. Charlotte Horne 

Post#2 » by Orlwillbeback » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:17 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:I'm really interested in this game.

It is really hard to know what to make of A. Gordon at this point. We have heard all sorts of comparisons. There are the good (Blake Griffin) and the not so good (Michael Kidd-Gilchrist).

MKG was / is a super athletic forward who can be a great defender but flat out can not shoot the ball... at all.

I really want to see Gordon and MKG on the floor together tonight and try to see if there are any clear distinctions between the two which offer reason to believe Gordon can become more than MKG.

mkg is still only 20, hard for me to write him off now.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,501

Post#3 » by MagicFan101 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:21 pm

Orlwillbeback wrote:mkg is still only 20, hard for me to write him off now.

Absolutely. I didn't mean to imply that I don't see MKG ever getting better, but he also hasn't had the most impressive start a #2 overall pick has ever had.

More importantly, MKG has done nothing (so far) to prove he is anything more than people thought he was. He is clearly a very good defender but his shooting is every bit at terrible as advertised.

Meanwhile, Dipo was a guy with a semi-similar scouting report. He was athletic and hard working but wasn't a great shooter. No one is mistaking Dipo for Steph Curry out there but he has clearly quited those critics.

Will Gordon's early years follow the Dipo route or the MKG route? I'm hoping we can see something tonight to give hope to the former.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,602

Post#4 » by BadMofoPimp » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:27 pm

Another game on the path towards World Domination!!!

Magic gonna prove all you all, all wrong!!!!

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#5 » by Orlwillbeback » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:48 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
Orlwillbeback wrote:mkg is still only 20, hard for me to write him off now.

Absolutely. I didn't mean to imply that I don't see MKG ever getting better, but he also hasn't had the most impressive start a #2 overall pick has ever had.

More importantly, MKG has done nothing (so far) to prove he is anything more than people thought he was. He is clearly a very good defender but his shooting is every bit at terrible as advertised.

Meanwhile, Dipo was a guy with a semi-similar scouting report. He was athletic and hard working but wasn't a great shooter. No one is mistaking Dipo for Steph Curry out there but he has clearly quited those critics.

Will Gordon's early years follow the Dipo route or the MKG route? I'm hoping we can see something tonight to give hope to the former.

Well iam glad you asked that question. Tbh i like Gordon's potential as a shooter better than mkg because Gordon doesnt have broken form. Neither does oladipo. I fully expect oladipo to be a strong shooter and offensive player as long as he plays sg and doesnt have to do too much.

Gordon has decent fundamentals when he shoots, he just needs to follow through all the way when he shoots more often. Mkg's shot is completely broken, to this day he has been working on it incessantly and still has no idea what hes doing.
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#6 » by OrlandO » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:54 pm

MKG's shot supposedly looks much better after working on it with mark price all summer. I think I saw a gif where it no longer looks completely broken.
OrlandO
RealGM

Post#7 » by OrlandO » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:55 pm

Will be sporting the Orlando Magic watch face on my Moto 360 all day. Hope there's a stream tonight.

Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,177

Post#8 » by Optimus_Steel » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:59 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:I'm really interested in this game.

I don't think they play alike, other than both being really good defenders and bad outside shooters. I think AG is a more skilled player, he is quite better passer and ball handler, while MKG is the better wing defender. Both still have a ways to go but as stated both real young.
aka: prorl
mr2good
Senior
And1: 355

Post#9 » by mr2good » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:01 pm

These non televised preseason games are such a tease! I'd love to watch the boys play tonight!!
tooler
General Manager
And1: 5,342

Post#10 » by tooler » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:08 pm

If I'm free and there's a stream, I'll try to do some timely animated GIFs. I don't know how people set up their workflow to turn them around in 60 seconds, but I'm still having fun leaning the tools 10 years after everyone else did.
3ddman23
General Manager
And1: 2,614

Post#11 » by 3ddman23 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:18 pm

So no coverage on this one tonight? Not even a jumbotron feed?
GO MAGIC
jernigan
Pro Prospect
And1: 118

Post#12 » by jernigan » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:27 pm

OrlandO wrote:Will be sporting the Orlando Magic watch face on my Moto 360 all day. Hope there's a stream tonight.

Same Here! Facer :rocking:
MellowRose
Banned User
And1: 1,551

Post#13 » by MellowRose » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:39 pm

3ddman23 wrote:So no coverage on this one tonight? Not even a jumbotron feed?

First Row has a couple of links. Keep your fingers crossed.
vagnermagic
Senior
And1: 108

Post#14 » by vagnermagic » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:39 pm

You guys can't watch the game in Orlando? That's cruel, man. Why the hell you can't watch the games?

I live in Brasil and have all preseason games thanks to the International League Pass.
Vamo, Magic!
Brazilian Magic fan
Optimus_Steel
RealGM

Post#15 » by Optimus_Steel » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:47 pm

vagnermagic wrote:You guys can't watch the game in Orlando? That's cruel, man. Why the hell you can't watch the games?

I live in Brasil and have all preseason games thanks to the International League Pass.

When the team is good, like a couple of years ago, they would show all the preseason games. Because of the losing last 2 years they are only showing that one here locally. Sad.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#16 » by BadMofoPimp » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:48 pm

OrlandO wrote:MKG's shot supposedly looks much better after working on it with mark price all summer. I think I saw a gif where it no longer looks completely broken.

Yes, he worked with a trainer and completely changed his stroke and evidently, he is shooting better in practice. Will just take time to adjust to game time. Regardless, both players will take years to perfect their offensive games.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Optimus_Steel
RealGM

Post#17 » by Optimus_Steel » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:50 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:
OrlandO wrote:MKG's shot supposedly looks much better after working on it with mark price all summer. I think I saw a gif where it no longer looks completely broken.

Yes, he worked with a trainer and completely changed his stroke and evidently, he is shooting better in practice. Will just take time to adjust to game time. Regardless, both players will take years to perfect their offensive games.

From having Dwigth here all those years, we know that making them in practice compared to making them in a packed arena full of 18,000 spectators is a lot different. We shall see.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#18 » by BadMofoPimp » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:53 pm

Optimus_Steel wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:

From having Dwigth here all those years, we know that making them in practice compared to making them in a packed arena full of 18,000 spectators is a lot different. We shall see.

Not talking about free throws, so I think the level of focus is different. I think it is harder for a big man to make FT's in general due to lack of arc of shot.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
OrlandO
RealGM

Post#19 » by OrlandO » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:54 pm

Optimus_Steel wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:

His first jumper in preseason looked pretty good... well, compared to that awful-looking thing he called a jumper in previous years.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ2fzOe4u4Y[/youtube]

I'm not even an MKG fan. I thought he was overrated to begin with and I don't think he will ever live up to being picked #2. But his shot does look better to me.
Hilltop
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 731

Post#20 » by Hilltop » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:13 pm

Yup, his shot looks much better these days. TBH, I don't expect drastic improvements in his shooting and I still expect Gerald Henderson to take a big bite out of his minutes throughout the season.

Return to Orlando Magic