ImageImageImageImage

Better ball-handler, Tobias or AG?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

InFlames
RealGM
And1: 3,176

Better ball-handler, Tobias or AG? 

Post#1 » by InFlames » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:40 pm

MagicStarwipe thinks AG is a better ball-handler than Harris, I disagree. What do you all think?
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Re: Better ball-handler, Tobias or AG? 

Post#2 » by OrlandO » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:47 pm

I don't think I've seen enough of AG in NBA action to decide. Tobias isn't the greatest ball handler... he is serviceable and can run the break, but his handling seems very average to me whereas I've seen AG go behind the back, spin around in a split second and of course he also makes some very fancy passes. They probably have strengths and weaknesses in different areas of handling...
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#3 » by j-ragg » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:49 pm

Gordon and it's not really close.

Tobias is great offensively at a lot of things but ball handling doesn't seem to be one of them.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
InFlames
RealGM
And1: 3,176

Post#4 » by InFlames » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:55 pm

j-ragg wrote:Gordon and it's not really close.

Tobias is great offensively at a lot of things but ball handling doesn't seem to be one of them.

Interesting, maybe I'm wrong. Harris' handles have always been impressive to me considering he can get his shot off at anytime and can also get to the rim. I would like to see Gordon try to get to the rim if his handles are indeed that much better than Tobias.
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,050

Post#5 » by MagicStarwipe » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:04 pm

Tobias is a straight line kind of guy. He basically drives in straight lines to places where he can get his runner off. He can run the ball up the court if there is no pressure, but most players can. His best assets are his motor, his body and that he can actually shoot the ball decently.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
Smooth_E
Sixth Man
And1: 530

Post#6 » by Smooth_E » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:15 pm

Gordon.

I've seen the hesitation, the crossover, the spin, the step-back, and the euro step from him just this summer. I have yet to see Tobias do the euro and/or the spin. Tobias is good though, he's adequate. I think AG can maneuver around a little more though. In addition, I've seen more off-hand (AG left) from Gordon than Tobias.

Just my opinion/observation.
mojosodope
Sixth Man
And1: 459

Post#7 » by mojosodope » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:31 pm

Harris has very purposeful handle. I've seen him handle well in a manner that suits his game and allows him to score. I haven't seen that from Gordon yet. I've seen gordon show off a lot of fancy handling that I do not see translating to his NBA game as of yet. I'm willing to bet Harris would handle well in a glorified pickup game against non-nba talent but the only thing I really care about is what is effective in game play.
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#8 » by Orlwillbeback » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:58 pm

tobias,

i wrote alot more but my internet cut out.

basically aaron thinks he can handle but he cant.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,110

Post#9 » by tiderulz » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:13 pm

j-ragg wrote:Gordon and it's not really close.

i think people overrate Gordons handles
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,950

Post#10 » by Last Guardian » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:17 am

Gordon has more ball-handling moves that as of right now go nowhere....Tobias is more basic but he makes use of it. So, Tobias.
ivDT
RealGM
And1: 1,578

Post#11 » by ivDT » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:34 am

gordon. there's a reason why they call him the light skinneded lebron.
shadrock
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,521

Post#12 » by shadrock » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:22 am

Aaron Gordon by a country mile...
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,450

Post#13 » by Bensational » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:03 am

Last Guardian wrote:Gordon has more ball-handling moves that as of right now go nowhere....Tobias is more basic but he makes use of it. So, Tobias.

Well said.

Gordon's still learning how to use his skills, whereas Tobias has already figured that out. Tobias' advantage is that he's a gifted scorer, so he only needs to know the moves to get him to where he can get a good shot. Gordon doesn't have that end goal at the moment - no reliable jump shot, not the inside finisher you'd like him to be unless it's off an alley. Once Gordon can get those down, he'll have so many more tools in his arsenal to get him there, that he could be real lethal.
Neon1
RealGM
And1: 1,576

Post#14 » by Neon1 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:07 am

Aaron Gordon by a galaxy. But he has no idea how to play, which pretty much negates it.
A smart coach once said, "Potential just means you're not good enough yet." Playing on potential is like living on air: It's essential, but if thats all you have, you're eventually going to starve.

Twitter: @CleonONE IG: @usaidwhatnah
MellowRose
Banned User
And1: 1,551

Post#15 » by MellowRose » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:47 am

AG has street ball handles. Once the game tightens up, the handles are gone, entirely. In game, it's Tobias 10 out of 10 times. Outside of the game, for now, it's AG, and not even close.

Another way to phrase the question, IMO: Crunch time, who would you rather have handle the ball: Tobias or AG?
NBlue
Rookie
And1: 714

Post#16 » by NBlue » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:25 pm

MellowRose wrote:AG has street ball handles. Once the game tightens up, the handles are gone, entirely. In game, it's Tobias 10 out of 10 times. Outside of the game, for now, it's AG, and not even close.

Another way to phrase the question, IMO: Crunch time, who would you rather have handle the ball: Tobias or AG?

These are totally different issues. If the question is who is the better technical dribbler there is no question about it -- under any situation it is AG. If there were a competition concerning dribbling there would be no doubt that AG would win over Tobias. However, dribbling is, obviously, just one tool in one's game. In most of the others (save athleticism) Tobias is -- right now -- head and shoulders above AG. I don't see how any of this is even up for debate.
MellowRose
Banned User
And1: 1,551

Post#17 » by MellowRose » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:34 pm

NBlue wrote:
MellowRose wrote:AG has street ball handles. Once the game tightens up, the handles are gone, entirely. In game, it's Tobias 10 out of 10 times. Outside of the game, for now, it's AG, and not even close.

These are totally different issues. If the question is who is the better technical dribbler there is no question about it -- under any situation it is AG. If there were a competition concerning dribbling there would be no doubt that AG would win over Tobias. However, dribbling is, obviously, just one tool in one's game. In most of the others (save athleticism) Tobias is -- right now -- head and shoulders above AG. I don't see how any of this is even up for debate.

Isn't that what I'm saying?
NBlue
Rookie
And1: 714

Post#18 » by NBlue » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:38 pm

MellowRose wrote:
NBlue wrote:

Isn't that what I'm saying?

I have no idea.
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,115

Post#19 » by AdamTheGreek » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:53 pm

They're both good for different reasons.

Tobias doesn't mess around much. As someone else said, he's more of a straight line guy once he gets to the 3-point line. That means he's least likely to lose the ball in the backcourt in a 1-on-1 situation. Once he's thinking about getting to the hole though, his handles are better than Carmelo's.

Aaron's the guy you want if a team is running a fullcourt press. He's got some NASTY crossover ability that most point guard don't have. He is a bit more susceptible to turning the ball over when he gets too fancy with his between-the-legs dribbling. Also, he dribbles a little high when he enters the paint. He'll adjust though.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,602

Post#20 » by BadMofoPimp » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:21 pm

No contest. BBD was a better ball handler than both Harris and AG.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!

Return to Orlando Magic