ImageImageImageImage

2015 Draft: Prospect Tracker

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Re: 2015 Draft: Prospect Tracker 

Post#141 » by Nemesis21 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:42 pm

EasternMagic wrote:Based on my limited research, my preferences would go as follows (assuming we don't land the #1):
1. Towns
2. Montrezl Harrell
3. Justice Winslow
4. Mario Hezonja
5. Kistaps Porzingis

I'm always timid with the Euros

We don't need any of those, we don't need more offense. We need a shot blocker. Towns is the only one who can block shots on this list, at more than 2 per game. Harrell is an undersized PF,don't need anymore of those. And the last 3 are all offense players.
I don't think Towns will be in our range, but WCS and Turner are our best options in our range.
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#142 » by Orlwillbeback » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:08 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:
EasternMagic wrote:Based on my limited research, my preferences would go as follows (assuming we don't land the #1):
1. Towns
2. Montrezl Harrell
3. Justice Winslow
4. Mario Hezonja
5. Kistaps Porzingis

We don't need any of those, we don't need more offense. We need a shot blocker. Towns is the only one who can block shots on this list, at more than 2 per game. Harrell is an undersized PF,don't need anymore of those. And the last 3 are all offense players.
I don't think Towns will be in our range, but WCS and Turner are our best options in our range.

We dont need offense???? Have you been living under a rock??? Were 29th in points scored and 27th in assists! Offense is the first thing we need!
EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Post#143 » by EasternMagic » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:49 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:
1. Towns
2. Montrezl Harrell
3. Justice Winslow
4. Mario Hezonja
5. Kistaps Porzingis

Have you checked our offense ratings lately? We need a lot more offense. We need a PF and it's likely we'll need a SF if Toby bolts. I do agree we need a shot blocker, though. Towns is becoming a better shot blocker. Had three blks today against the Aggies. And if we keep on the track we are on now, we could be in Towns shopping range.
Hogified05
Rookie
And1: 498

Post#144 » by Hogified05 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:36 am

We are slowly sinking to the bottom of the league again. And with Chicago, Memphis, Houston, OKC up next I don't see a let up on the losing. So let me ask this question. If we somehow luck into the first pick (it's totally going be the Knicks) we have to go Oakfor right? I'd say yes. Dude has got it, you just don't pass on that. Pick him and then figure out the rest right? Then depending on what Tobias does.

Elf
Vic
Tobias
Okafor
Vuc

if Tobias leaves which I think is a strong possibility and we land the 1st pick.

Elf
Vic
AG
Okafor
Vuc

Or if we land the first pick do we shop Vuc? I could definitely see Oakfor being there at 2 if the Sixers get 1 and us 2. No way they pick another center right? Oh well we will probably be around 5. Hopefully we pick it up thou I really don't want another high pick. :(
The hero Orlando deserves is out there somewhere, Dwight was not the one we needed. So we will hunt for him...
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#145 » by Orlwillbeback » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:44 am

Hogified05 wrote:We are slowly sinking to the bottom of the league again. And with Chicago, Memphis, Houston, OKC up next I don't see a let up on the losing. So let me ask this question. If we somehow luck into the first pick (it's totally going be the Knicks) we have to go Oakfor right? I'd say yes. Dude has got it, you just don't pass on that. Pick him and then figure out the rest right? Then depending on what Tobias does.

Elf
Vic
Tobias
Okafor
Vuc

if Tobias leaves which I think is a strong possibility and we land the 1st pick.

Elf
Vic
AG
Okafor
Vuc

Or if we land the first pick do we shop Vuc? I could definitely see Oakfor being there at 2 if the Sixers get 1 and us 2. No way they pick another center right? Oh well we will probably be around 5. Hopefully we pick it up thou I really don't want another high pick. :(

Sixers are actually 3rd in the tank race right now, behind minny and the knicks.
ralphie9898
Analyst
And1: 390

Post#146 » by ralphie9898 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:23 pm

EasternMagic wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:
1. Towns
2. Montrezl Harrell
3. Justice Winslow
4. Mario Hezonja
5. Kistaps Porzingis

Have you checked our offense ratings lately? We need a lot more offense. We need a PF and it's likely we'll need a SF if Toby bolts. I do agree we need a shot blocker, though. Towns is becoming a better shot blocker. Had three blks today against the Aggies. And if we keep on the track we are on now, we could be in Towns shopping range.

We need both. We need more offense from our perimeter guys and more interior defense. If Harris bolts we very well could have one of the forward spots set with Aaron Gordon. If he can continue to shoot well from range then I think he makes for a great SF option. I am not sure that he makes a great PF as he still doesn't have ideal height for that spot. Sure he can grow but how much will he grow and he may not so we shall see. But he already has ideal athleticism for the SF spot and his shot is pretty much the only question mark. If it is falling you add in his athleticism, great height for the SF spot, ability to play D and handle the ball and I think we could have an all-star in a few years. We still need a lot and our draft range isn't set yet and won't be settled until the lottery. We currently sit fifth and that has decent percentage for the lottery. Teams have won the top pick with less like Cleveland last year or as Magic fans know all to well when we won the 1993 lottery with only a very small chance too and after winning it the previous year.
ralphie9898
Analyst

Post#147 » by ralphie9898 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:35 pm

Orlwillbeback wrote:
Hogified05 wrote:We are slowly sinking to the bottom of the league again. And with Chicago, Memphis, Houston, OKC up next I don't see a let up on the losing. So let me ask this question. If we somehow luck into the first pick (it's totally going be the Knicks) we have to go Oakfor right? I'd say yes. Dude has got it, you just don't pass on that. Pick him and then figure out the rest right? Then depending on what Tobias does.

Elf
Vic
Tobias
Okafor
Vuc

Elf
Vic
AG
Okafor
Vuc

Sixers are actually 3rd in the tank race right now, behind minny and the knicks.

The lottery is what determines who picks where as for the top three. You can tank all you want but in the end it may not help that much in getting a top pick.

And to Hogfield yeah as it stands now you have to go with Okafor. Though Okafor isn't a PF. He is strictly a center so we would likely have to trade Vuc or trade down if you want to keep Vuc. I also don't think the Sixers would pass on Okafor. Yeah they have plenty of very good center prospects right now but you don't pass on talent like that if Okafor maintains his edge on the number one spot. They can trade Noel or likely Embid(as Noel can possibly play PF) or just keep them as they are still on cheap rookie deals.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Post#148 » by Blue_and_Whte » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:29 pm

MOAR ROOKIES....
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
Magic#1
General Manager
And1: 1,108

Post#149 » by Magic#1 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:54 pm

If Aldridge can coexist with Lopez and co., then Vooch and Okafor could coexist no problem.
In terms of offense, I get what the stats say. That's why I wanted a guy like Parker/Wiggins in the draft because we really needed a go-to player. However, we don't just need another average player who specializes in offense. Unless we let Tobias walk, I really don't see how a guy like Mario or Johnson would help us. Our backcourt is pretty set and I don't see any of the guard prospects except for maybe Mudiay providing a huge plus over what we got. We need a player who can do something that none of our other players can. It'll be interesting to see what happens, but if we get really lucky and get No.1, go Okafor. After that, who knows what could happen. But I do like Towns if we're in the top 3.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,238

Post#150 » by Blue_and_Whte » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:26 pm

Magic#1 wrote:If Aldridge can coexist with Lopez and co., then Vooch and Okafor could coexist no problem.
In terms of offense, I get what the stats say. That's why I wanted a guy like Parker/Wiggins in the draft because we really needed a go-to player. However, we don't just need another average player who specializes in offense. Unless we let Tobias walk, I really don't see how a guy like Mario or Johnson would help us. Our backcourt is pretty set and I don't see any of the guard prospects except for maybe Mudiay providing a huge plus over what we got. We need a player who can do something that none of our other players can. It'll be interesting to see what happens, but if we get really lucky and get No.1, go Okafor. After that, who knows what could happen. But I do like Towns if we're in the top 3.

That doesn't seem like a very good comparison. Lopez is a good defensive center and Okafor doesn't seem to be very good defensively at all. I don't see how he would compliment Vuc's game or how the LMA/Lopez comp makes sense.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,710

Post#151 » by thelead » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:11 pm

So, who's been looking good this month?
ralphie9898
Analyst

Post#152 » by ralphie9898 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:18 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:
1. Towns
2. Montrezl Harrell
3. Justice Winslow
4. Mario Hezonja
5. Kistaps Porzingis

Porzingis can play pretty good defense. Winslow can play D too though I would pass on him as we don't really need a wing that isn't a great shooter.
ralphie9898
Analyst

Post#153 » by ralphie9898 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:24 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:
Magic#1 wrote:If Aldridge can coexist with Lopez and co., then Vooch and Okafor could coexist no problem.

That doesn't seem like a very good comparison. Lopez is a good defensive center and Okafor doesn't seem to be very good defensively at all. I don't see how he would compliment Vuc's game or how the LMA/Lopez comp makes sense.

It isn't a good comparison because Aldridge can coexist with Lopez because Aldridge is a PF. He can guard opposing PFs. Okafor and Vuc are both centers. Neither have the athleticism to stretch out and guard opposing 4s. So Vuc and Okafor can't play together while Aldridge and Lopez can.
thelead
RealGM

Post#154 » by thelead » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:04 pm

D'Angelo Russell's stats are eye-opening for a freshman. 19/5/5/2 on 46/44/80 is pretty damn good.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#155 » by Nemesis21 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:34 pm

thelead wrote:D'Angelo Russell's stats are eye-opening for a freshman. 19/5/5/2 on 46/44/80 is pretty damn good.

I think we are good at SG, with Vic and Evan.

I think we need to go after Turner/WCS with our top 10 pick and draft a backup PG in round 2 like Fred VanFleet, Monte Morris, Marcus Paige, Kenneth Smith.

(IF we lose Harris in FA)

Payton/rd 2 pick
Vic/Fournier
AG/RDM
Turner/Frye
Vuc/KOQ

or

Payton/rd 2 pick
Vic/Fournier
AG/RDM
KOQ/Frye
Vuc/WCS
thelead
RealGM

Post#156 » by thelead » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:29 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:
thelead wrote:D'Angelo Russell's stats are eye-opening for a freshman. 19/5/5/2 on 46/44/80 is pretty damn good.

I think we are good at SG, with Vic and Evan.

I think we need to go after Turner/WCS with our top 10 pick and draft a backup PG in round 2 like Fred VanFleet, Monte Morris, Marcus Paige, Kenneth Smith.

(IF we lose Harris in FA)

Payton/rd 2 pick
Vic/Fournier
AG/RDM
Turner/Frye
Vuc/KOQ

or

Payton/rd 2 pick
Vic/Fournier
AG/RDM
KOQ/Frye
Vuc/WCS

I agree that we're good at the 2 but I always look to draft BPA. If we project Russell to become John Wall/James Harden but project Turner or WCS to be Derrick Favors, guess who we should take? Now, if they're rated equal, than sure, we should take Turner or WCS. I don't see it that way right now though.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,501

Post#157 » by MagicFan101 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:38 pm

January 18th Update:

Like any data analytics based model, advanced stats like PER are biased due to natural limitations of a discrete (rather than continuous) metric. That doesn't mean advanced stats aren't useful, but I prefer to look at raw stats and form my own model.

Offensive Ranks:
Points Per Game = 26th in league
FG attempts = 22nd in league
FG percentage = 14th in league
3pt attempts = 23rd in league
3pt percentage = 7th in league
FT attempts = 28th in league
FT percentage = 27th in league
Assists = 26th in league
Turn overs = 19th in league

Offensive Summary = We pretty accurate on offense, we just aren't efficient. It takes a while for this team to develop plays which leads to fewer attempts to score. If we aren't shooting lights out we lose and this is often the case. Luckily, it seems JV has gotten the memo on this and has stepped the temp up.

Defensive Ranks:
Opp Points Per Game = 18th in league
Opp FG percentage = 20th in league (but tied, so only 4 teams are worse)
Rebounds = 28th in league
Blocks = 30th in league (yuck! dead last!)
Steals = 17th in league

Defensive Summary = We are just bad all around on defense. Dipo, Payton and Gordon are supposed to be our defensive core and two have missed serious time while the other took time to work into the rotations. So hopefully this improves going forward.

All in all, I think earlier comments on offense being our first priority seems off base at the moment. We need a lot of help on both sides of the ball. I would say we need to look at the best player available in the draft and this just happens to be a big man heavy draft class.

We are flat out pathetic in rebounding, shot blocking and opponent FG %. This tells me we need to add a defensive big man... which I have been calling for for a while now.
magician4ever
Junior
And1: 211

Post#158 » by magician4ever » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:30 am

MagicFan101 wrote:
We are flat out pathetic in rebounding, shot blocking and opponent FG %. This tells me we need to add a defensive big man... which I have been Cauley-ing for for a while now.

:lol: couldn't resist
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,501

Post#159 » by MagicFan101 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:42 am

magician4ever wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
We are flat out pathetic in rebounding, shot blocking and opponent FG %. This tells me we need to add a defensive big man... which I have been Cauley-ing for for a while now.

:lol: couldn't resist

I would be very happy to grab him around the #10 pick but if we end up closer to the #5 pick I'm looking more at guys like Turner.
thelead
RealGM

Post#160 » by thelead » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:45 am

Okafor's post moves are ridiculous... Can we please luck into the #1 pick??????????

Return to Orlando Magic