ImageImageImageImage

2015 Draft: Prospect Tracker

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Re: 2015 Draft: Prospect Tracker 

Post#441 » by Skin » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:43 am

Actually, if we're talking about picks 6-10 then we should start to talk about Kevin Looney too. I was hoping for a Top 5 pick, but we keep winning, so realistically we won't be picking that high anymore. Kevin Looney does a lot of things I think people like. Legit defense, can guard the perimeter and post...rebounding...3 point range that he's gaining confidence in but doesn't have the quick trigger tendency that would make you worry... He's very raw offensively and has a body that needs to gain weight or he'll end up having to play SF. The whole tweener issue again... but winning will take us out of range to get someone we really want, so we could have to be talking about these 2nd tier guys. Preferably, I'd rather see Portis continue to rise so we don't have to reach for him in the Top 8-10.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,160

Post#442 » by OrlChamps2030 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:09 am

I know Jordan Mickey doesnt get talked about much because hes pretty undersized.. but do most here not see him as an nba player?

he blocks everything, hits the boards, has a high motor, has shown a little bit of a face up game, and even though he is undersized he has good length. is he not even 2nd round caliber right now?

i havent seen much of him until recently, id appreciate input from anyone that has followed him closer
Truth24
Starter
And1: 443

Post#443 » by Truth24 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:55 am

I have to say if we are picking in like the 7-10 range, my pick is going to be for Bobby Portis. This kid has improved so much this year on both ends and is the leader of his team. He has range, shot blocker, smart passer, can handle the ball, and really good rebounder which is all very nice. I'm excited to see how he plays against Kentucky on the 28, I actually see him giving both WCS and Towns a lot of trouble.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,247

Post#444 » by eyriq » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:08 am

Skin wrote:Actually, if we're talking about picks 6-10 then we should start to talk about Kevin Looney too. I was hoping for a Top 5 pick, but we keep winning, so realistically we won't be picking that high anymore. Kevin Looney does a lot of things I think people like. Legit defense, can guard the perimeter and post...rebounding...3 point range that he's gaining confidence in but doesn't have the quick trigger tendency that would make you worry... He's very raw offensively and has a body that needs to gain weight or he'll end up having to play SF. The whole tweener issue again... but winning will take us out of range to get someone we really want, so we could have to be talking about these 2nd tier guys. Preferably, I'd rather see Portis continue to rise so we don't have to reach for him in the Top 8-10.

He seems like he belongs in the conversation with Porzingis and Turner as a long, athletic, flashing skills but raw & soft, forward.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,918

Post#445 » by drsd » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:43 pm

At #51 Orlando might still see Andrew Harrison on the board. He is an intriguing player to send to the D-league for a year or two to earn eventual back-up combo-guard minutes for the Magic. That's got to be worth a thought for GM Hennigan.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,501

Post#446 » by MagicFan101 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:28 am

Hypothetically... let us say that Orlando grabs the #5 pick with Okafor, Towns, Mudiay and Russell off the board.

Who would you want? There would be exciting names left but I just don't know who I would want.

Is Turner worth a #5 pick?

Is Johnson redundant with A.Gordon here?

Honestly, I wouldn't mind hearing that Henny was shopping the pick at that point. Shopping doesn't necessarily mean you have to buy, but that might be a situation where we aggressively look to move out.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,247

Post#447 » by eyriq » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:48 am

MagicFan101 wrote:Hypothetically... let us say that Orlando grabs the #5 pick with Okafor, Towns, Mudiay and Russell off the board.

Who would you want? There would be exciting names left but I just don't know who I would want.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind hearing that Henny was shopping the pick at that point. Shopping doesn't necessarily mean you have to buy, but that might be a situation where we aggressively look to move out.

I'd want either Johnson or Herzonja, and I'd prefer Herzonja with his shooting. I would not trade a top ten pick, too many guys I like this year.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,707

Post#448 » by thelead » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:58 am

MagicFan101 wrote:Hypothetically... let us say that Orlando grabs the #5 pick with Okafor, Towns, Mudiay and Russell off the board.

Henny doesn't strike me as a guy who would trade a lotto pick.
InFlames
RealGM
And1: 3,176

Post#449 » by InFlames » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:05 am

I would take Johnson.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,019

Post#450 » by fendilim » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:38 am

No. I wouldnt want henny trading the pick this year, I think majority of the top 10 picks in this draft can be our answer to the 4 spot.
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#451 » by MagicFan101 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:52 am

Trading the #5 picking doesn't have to mean we don't use a top 10 pick this year...

What if say, the Celtics are in love with the idea of pairing Johnson with Smart? They have 2 first rounders this year. One is likely to be around the #10 spot and the other is from the Clippers which should be in the mid 20's.

We can still grab WCS while picking up an extra 1st round pick. Or we can swap top 10 picks and ask for one of their young players.

Towns is the guy I have my eye on. If we miss out on him I think we should at least look into all options. One player can absolutely turn this team around but finding that one guy is really tough. Grabbing a couple strong players can also help.
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#452 » by MagicFan101 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:55 am

Certainly no player on this roster is entitled to anything but how would a guy like Johnson fit into a roster that just drafted a defense oriented forward in Gordon?
thelead
RealGM

Post#453 » by thelead » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:06 am

I think we have a lot of questions going into these last 20-something games. I'm still not sure what we have in Gordon. I think we still need to see how Tobias fits with the rest of the pieces. We need to figure out if Dedmon can be our dependable rim protector off the bench. Do we have our backcourt rotation of the future in Elf/Dipo/Fourny? Do we even have minutes for KOQ/AN/Hark? So many questions...

If Towns/Russell/Okafor/Mudiay are off the board, would anyone be interested in flipping the pick for someone like Favors? See, I can't really think of anyone that would be available and also fill our PF need. Giving up a mid lotto pick for Favors seems like a massive overpay to me.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager

Post#454 » by OrlChamps2030 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:26 am

thelead wrote:I think we have a lot of questions going into these last 20-something games. I'm still not sure what we have in Gordon. I think we still need to see how Tobias fits with the rest of the pieces. We need to figure out if Dedmon can be our dependable rim protector off the bench. Do we have our backcourt rotation of the future in Elf/Dipo/Fourny? Do we even have minutes for KOQ/AN/Hark? So many questions...

If Towns/Russell/Okafor/Mudiay are off the board, would anyone be interested in flipping the pick for someone like Favors? See, I can't really think of anyone that would be available and also fill our PF need. Giving up a mid lotto pick for Favors seems like a massive overpay to me.

no way utah gives up favors for a mid lotto pick he is having a really nice year and is still only 23
thelead
RealGM

Post#455 » by thelead » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:33 am

Zmill wrote:
thelead wrote:I think we have a lot of questions going into these last 20-something games. I'm still not sure what we have in Gordon. I think we still need to see how Tobias fits with the rest of the pieces. We need to figure out if Dedmon can be our dependable rim protector off the bench. Do we have our backcourt rotation of the future in Elf/Dipo/Fourny? Do we even have minutes for KOQ/AN/Hark? So many questions...

no way utah gives up favors for a mid lotto pick he is having a really nice year and is still only 23

Probably not but that doesn't mean we still wouldn't be overpaying. He's putting up 16 and 8 so he's a solid starter but it's not like he's definitely a future allstar. I don't think he warrants giving up a 5-7 lotto pick in a good draft but hey, that's just my opinion. What other PF would you target with a mid lotto pick?

That was my point BTW, it's not so easy flipping a pick to fill a need with a good vet. Good starters are hard to get; especially when they're young.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,149

Post#456 » by Def Swami » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:36 am

Skin wrote:Actually, if we're talking about picks 6-10 then we should start to talk about Kevin Looney too. I was hoping for a Top 5 pick, but we keep winning, so realistically we won't be picking that high anymore. Kevin Looney does a lot of things I think people like. Legit defense, can guard the perimeter and post...rebounding...3 point range that he's gaining confidence in but doesn't have the quick trigger tendency that would make you worry... He's very raw offensively and has a body that needs to gain weight or he'll end up having to play SF. The whole tweener issue again... but winning will take us out of range to get someone we really want, so we could have to be talking about these 2nd tier guys. Preferably, I'd rather see Portis continue to rise so we don't have to reach for him in the Top 8-10.

He's basically an Aaron Gordon clone. As good as a prospect as he might be, I don't think he'll be any better than AG and I'd rather we find a scorer or big man who can protect the paint next to Vucevic.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,149

Post#457 » by Def Swami » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:44 am

Turner is worth a #5 pick, IMHO. I really love his game. It's rooted in defense and rim protection, but he has show an ability to hit open jumpers too, with range extended to the 3 point line. If we're simply talking "fit", he might be one of the best for our team.

Don't think Johnson and Gordon are redundant at all. In fact, I'd love to play those 2 together. Johnson is a more dynamic offensive player and has proven to have a better jumpshot than people gave credit for. He's a tank with excellent finishing and defensive instincts. He'd certainly be worth the #5 as well.

Haven't seen Porzingis besides YouTube clips, but if his hype is real, he's another option there too. This is a good draft and I believe the top 7-8 of this draft is as good, if not better, than last year's. 2015 doesn't have the depth that 2014 did, but I'm more excited about their premiere prospects than last year's. I'd keep the pick.
BCS
Sixth Man
And1: 675

Post#458 » by BCS » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:09 am

Maybe try to aggressively trade up, we have plenty of future picks and an abundance of young players to make something work.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager

Post#459 » by OrlChamps2030 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:23 am

thelead wrote:
Zmill wrote:

Probably not but that doesn't mean we still wouldn't be overpaying. He's putting up 16 and 8 so he's a solid starter but it's not like he's definitely a future allstar. I don't think he warrants giving up a 5-7 lotto pick in a good draft but hey, that's just my opinion. What other PF would you target with a mid lotto pick?

That was my point BTW, it's not so easy flipping a pick to fill a need with a good vet. Good starters are hard to get; especially when they're young.

favors is basically putting up 18/10/2 per 36 with a PER of 22 and pretty good defense, he is also locked in on a deal that isnt bad and will only look better once the cap goes up - not going to happen for a mid lotto pick. he aint MCW lol

i agree with your point that there would not be a ton of great deals out there. just thought it was a poor example. i know he plays for utah but you gotta give the man some credit

i would just keep our pick and draft johnson/porzingis/turner/hezonja
Orlwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 3,679

Post#460 » by Orlwillbeback » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:47 am

Favors easily more value than whoever you could draft at 5 or 6 in this draft.

Return to Orlando Magic