ImageImageImageImage

Channing Frye is horrible

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,078

Re: Channing Frye is horrible 

Post#101 » by bigdogdylan5 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:34 pm

G-Heel wrote:
bigdogdylan5 wrote:One reason this team was so poor last year was because of the mediocre long range shooting the additions of Frye and Fournier have won us every game this year. They give us must needed floor space for Oladipo, Harris and eventually Payton.

And defense is the reason for all the losses. I don't see your point.

bigdogdylan5 wrote:You need a decent defense but the days of the 90s and early 2000s where you needed a big guy in the middle are over. Shooting wins in this league now. SA last year (Strong wing defense with great shooters and a PG who can finish around the rim) and Miami and Dallas before that. You cant win in this league without shooting.

Disagree. SA, Miami, Dallas, etc. all those champions had great defense. We're not going to win **** with Vuc and Frye manning the middle. Frye is a temporary starting PF, he's not the solution at PF; the sooner we realize this, the better we'll be. If Hennigan likes stretch 4s, he should've kept Ryan Anderson.

Look what i ment is you need a top flight defense. The point i was trying to make is you dont need a top big guy to be considered a great defense. Wing defense is much more important now. Its nice to have a top shot blocker yes but not necessary shooting i believe is.
Fine print disclaimer for Fultz:
I am high on Markelle Fultz. Yes I understand he is not perfect and needs to shoot more and better and turn the ball over less. I would really like to see him play one more year… and I did and he sucks time to move on.
MagicFan4Lyfe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,904

Post#102 » by MagicFan4Lyfe » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:11 pm

MellowRose wrote:In a couple of years, start AG as our PF, and Frye will come off the bench. This will give us the defense and offense we need.

What happens if AG is really a SF? Who plays PF? I am sure him and Harris can play a little SF but in the playoffs, the PF position is going to be a bruiser. Maybe its O'Quinn but I think that guy isn't on the roster yet.
Orlando Magic are BACK!!!
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,602

Post#103 » by BadMofoPimp » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:22 pm

GortatExpress wrote:
MellowRose wrote:In a couple of years, start AG as our PF, and Frye will come off the bench. This will give us the defense and offense we need.

What happens if AG is really a SF? Who plays PF? I am sure him and Harris can play a little SF but in the playoffs, the PF position is going to be a bruiser. Maybe its O'Quinn but I think that guy isn't on the roster yet.

I have seen enough of Aaron Gordon to show he can handle the PF position.

The only way I see him staying at SF is if Harris leaves or is traded. Then, Magic will just sign another PF.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
MagicFan4Lyfe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,904

Post#104 » by MagicFan4Lyfe » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:31 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:
GortatExpress wrote:

I have seen enough of Aaron Gordon to show he can handle the PF position.

The only way I see him staying at SF is if Harris leaves or is traded. Then, Magic will just sign another PF.

I hope you are right. Because I like the potential of a Harris-AG-Vuc frontline. With Elf and Dipo providing backcourt pressure, we could have a killer defense.
Orlando Magic are BACK!!!
Neon1
RealGM
And1: 1,576

Post#105 » by Neon1 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:06 pm

I see the need for a stretch 4, I see it. But I just do not understand committing 8 million per year over 4 years to a 31 year old, who really only excels at hitting threes and is below average at most everything else.

That 8 million we committed was better served with us going after a younger, cheaper, more athletic, mobile and more versatile stretch 4/5 like a 6-10.5" F/C John Leuer who we could have snagged for pennies on the dollar at 762k.Or traded a 2nd round picks or two for.

We could have used him as we needed and would not be locked into having to start him, and his salary would not be possibly forcing us into possibly losing actual good (and young) players like Tobias because of now having to try and pinch pennies. I mean I would much rather have a Vuc/Tobias/Gordon/Leuer at 30.25million per then have Vuc/Tobias/Frye at 37.5 or simply end up with Vuc/Frye/Gordon and lose Tobias all together.

Leuer - http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... rjo01.html
Frye - http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... ech01.html

Leuer (career per36) 14.8ppg 8.2rpg 1.4apg 1.0spg 0.7bpg 1.4tov 3.8fls
.494fg .422three .720ft (.542ts%)
104Drtg
.125 WS48

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l949pa3p6Q[/youtube]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3YG8B0mdVE[/youtube]
A smart coach once said, "Potential just means you're not good enough yet." Playing on potential is like living on air: It's essential, but if thats all you have, you're eventually going to starve.

Twitter: @CleonONE IG: @usaidwhatnah
MellowRose
Banned User
And1: 1,551

Post#106 » by MellowRose » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:51 pm

Just watched the first quarter of last night's game, and Frye's defense is pathetic.

First defensive mistake: Chalmers and Williams run a pick and pop. Oladipo fights over the screen and stick with his man all the way, while Frye sort of hedges, but then also sticks Chalmers, leaving Williams WIDE open for the 3. I don't know where to place the blame (lack of communication, Frye's stupidity, JV's game plan), but it needs to be corrected ASAP.

Second defensive mistake: He somehow gets bumped by Brown, and Frye is unable to recover quick enough to cover Williams who's shooting the 3.

Third defensive mistake: He made another big mistake, but I can't remember what it was.

An 8 year veteran making these kinds of mistakes? That's an abomination. Frye is EASILY our weakest link in the starting lineup, and is giving up more points on the defensive end than he's able to make up for on the offensive end.

I'm beginning to completely hate this signing, especially since Frye is going to take minutes from Aaron Gordon .
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,450

Post#107 » by Bensational » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:56 pm

MellowRose wrote:Just watched the first quarter of last night's game, and Frye's defense is pathetic.

First defensive mistake: Chalmers and Williams run a pick and pop. Oladipo fights over the screen and stick with his man all the way, while Frye sort of hedges, but then also sticks Chalmers, leaving Williams WIDE open for the 3. I don't know where to place the blame (lack of communication, Frye's stupidity, JV's game plan), but it needs to be corrected ASAP.

Second defensive mistake: He somehow gets bumped by Brown, and Frye is unable to recover quick enough to cover Williams whose shooting the 3.

Third defensive mistake: He made another big mistake, but I can't remember what it was.

An 8 year veteran making these kinds of mistakes? That's an abomination. Frye is EASILY our weakest link in the starting lineup, and is giving up more points on the defensive end than he's able to make up for on the offensive end.

I'm beginning to completely hate this signing, especially since Frye is going to take minutes from Aaron Gordon .

he did it ALL game. guards kept fighting to get through screens, and often did, but it was like Frye refused to believe they could do it so he always switched his man, and seemingly forgot to tell the guards.

considering the guards kept fighting through screens and weren't reacting faster to the switch, i can only imagine the gameplan was to stick with your man if possible.

Return to Orlando Magic